CAPE TOWN 2020

Rafa

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The left has a single front door.

The right, the part that connects with the bus station has two doors for the 12m and 3 doors for the 18m which are aligned to the elevated stations' sliding glass doors, which open once the bus is positioned correctly in front of them.

8x18m-buses.jpg

35x12m-busses.jpg

Here are the glass sliding doors for the 2 or 3 doors on the other side of the bus;

4652163853_45f98550fb_z.jpg

4652771692_7e433a60ed_z.jpg

4652772556_2519128b08_z.jpg

4525449265_d21a6a98d4_z.jpg

Found one.

DSC00317-Small-2-511x383.jpg

Why do I keep seeing buses in South Africa with only one door? Surely the purpose of a commuter bus would be better served by buses with multiple doors, on both sides...rather than in this "coach" style.

Left side have only one kind of emergency door.

The system is very similar to Curitiba one.

It seemed the bus have only one door, because of the angle of the pics. In the new pics, you see the multiple doors in the right side.

smile.gif

Mo, do you like the buses?

I lost any respect for Cape Town when bids were asked for and Cape Town sat there all wishy washy and whiny to boot. Durban stepped right up and suddenly Cape Town got scared. Dumbasses. Doesn't matter if there was no deadline stated, if Cape Town wanted the games so bad as they have acted like, their hands should have shot up instantly like Durban's did. And do you know why Cape Towns pathetic hands did not shoot up instantly? Because deep down inside they are totally insecure about their ability to host an Olympic Games. They also know Durban has more energy for this than they do and has more advantages. Cape Town, you see, would like to be the only city considered for a South African games.

I support Durban over Cape Town all the way.

and you are free to have any view you wish.

and yet they have still failed to show a letter with a clear deadline on it.

Why are Jhb and PE claiming they are not even aware of the letter.....? SASCOC being based in Jhb.

Nobody is denying Dbn anything, or even changing the fact that it would be our candidate, but please don't try and convince of a formal process consisting of two paragraphs without a deadline. This applies to all three cities who were unaware of this "deadline".

Left side have only one kind of emergency door.

The system is very similar to Curitiba one.

It seemed the bus have only one door, because of the angle of the pics. In the new pics, you see the multiple doors in the right side.

smile.gif

Mo, do you like the buses?

Well they do the job but I would have preferred Mercedez Buses or even the buses in PE which actually are air-conditioned even though they are also from Volvo/Marco Polo.

Well they do the job but I would have preferred Mercedez Buses or even the buses in PE which actually are air-conditioned even though they are also from Volvo/Marco Polo.

No air-conditioning in the buses of Capetown?

This is not good. Well, at summer, at least.

Rio will replace all buses in the city to make sure all the fleet will have air-conditioning 'til 2016. By now, part of the fleet have and part doesn't.

Indeed, the plans in Ro is to use the same BRT system Brazilian urbanist Jaime Lerner helped to implant in South Africa for the World Cup.

When you talk about Mercedes Benz, you are talking about engine or about the bus body? smile.gif

PS: I love buses and transportation systems, and I have lots of curiosity about BRT in South Africa, since they were based on Curitiba system (that actually I visited and loved it).

There were extensive visits to Curtiba, Bogota, Rio....with international visits to Paris, London, and Germany with regards to rail. My uncle was part of those visits.

Rio doesn't have a BRT system by now. Bogota's one was based on Curitiba's too.

Former Curitiba mayor Jaime Lerner (named by Time top 100 influent people on the world last year) became really international famous because of this system and the urban solution around them (buildings was only allowed to be built in Curitiba in the avenues with BRT), really smart system.

And I was reading that southafricans made very good improvements on it. And as seen on the pics, BRT in South Africa is, at least, ways more beautiful than Curitiba's.

and you are free to have any view you wish.

and yet they have still failed to show a letter with a clear deadline on it.

Why are Jhb and PE claiming they are not even aware of the letter.....? SASCOC being based in Jhb.

Nobody is denying Dbn anything, or even changing the fact that it would be our candidate, but please don't try and convince of a formal process consisting of two paragraphs without a deadline. This applies to all three cities who were unaware of this "deadline".

It DOESN'T MATTER IF THERE WAS NO DEADLINE. That is such a crutch and an EXCUSE! A total excuse. You've made noise for so long about "wanting to host", you should have put your hand up immediately. Instead, there is this, oh well, maybe we won't. Okay, Durban want's it, Durban get's it, suddenly Cape Town is mad. Toss off Cape Town.

and as I said above you are free to have a view but until there is a letter with a a clear deadline, which they claim they can produce but have as of yet...not. this process was never a process.

Three cities were out of the loop of a R100 billion event....what does that say? SASCOC have been served with a summons to appear before parliament yet 3 world cup host cites have suddenly lost any sort of competence when it comes to replying to a letter.

Yes, lets go ahead with Durban, what point of this do you not understand?... but a 2 week deadline post WC and a 2 paragraphed letter, with NO deadline does not constitute a process. At no point have I suggested Cape Town should even bid or bidding should be re-opened if CT was lazy, but until there is a deadline, this was never a process, but something that was decided before the "letters" were sent.

Your statement reads just the same without caps.

It DOESN'T MATTER IF THERE WAS NO DEADLINE. That is such a crutch and an EXCUSE! A total excuse. You've made noise for so long about "wanting to host", you should have put your hand up immediately. Instead, there is this, oh well, maybe we won't. Okay, Durban want's it, Durban get's it, suddenly Cape Town is mad. Toss off Cape Town.

Exactly. I said something similiar earlier in the week in the thread 'South African 2020 candidate premature' in the GB newswire section.

When all the Olympic buzz was going on in South Africa right after the WC, Cape Town was doing nothing but dragging their feet & dwelling on potential drawbacks. Which is fine if that's what they choose to do, but don't expect everybody else to just sit idle until you finally make up your slow behind.

Bidding for the Olympics needs a SERIOUS candidate. And it's quite apparent that Cape Town is not, at this point in time. What difference does it make if there was a "deadline" or not. That's just semantics. If one is truly serious N they really WANT something, they go AFTER it! They just don't sit their with their thump up their a$s going "ho-hum".

Again, you want it? Then make your strong case N go for it! Don't be whining & nit-picking about a "deadline". Show us what you got. If you can't or are not sure what you wanna do next.. then just move over N sit down N be quiet. And let the others that do know what they want to go for it.

Precisely.

N if Cape Town wants to B in it, then they should show it. Instead of just bickering about it (i.e. 'deadline').

Because at this stage, Cape Town is just simply irked about 'not being considered' due to their own ambivalence.

Yet again, if you're serious, then demonstrate it, instead of just sittin' in a corner crying foul. Cuz that just makes one look silly, to say the least.

Precisely.

N if Cape Town wants to B in it, then they should show it. Instead of just bickering about it (i.e. 'deadline').

Because at this stage, Cape Town is just simply irked about 'not being considered' due to their own ambivalence.

Yet again, if you're serious, then demonstrate it, instead of just sittin' in a corner crying foul. Cuz that just makes one look silly, to say the least.

Our SASCOC is unexperinced when it comes to local bids, unlike USOC or the European NOC which do this oftenly, yeah a due date was missing, JHB & PE didnt see it either.

This whole Cape Town kerfuffle would seem to raise some questions about bureaucracy in SA. If the internal candidate selection process is this contentious/disorganized/underhanded/disrespectful/dishonest (I'm not really sure which or how many of those adjectives actually apply) then does that reflect negatively on SA's readiness to stage the Olympics? (Note: that's a question -- not a statement.)

It seems to me that SASCOC could have gone one of two routes:

A.) They could've issued a statement like the following: "Based on unofficial inquiries and investigations, plus the fact that Durban is hosting the IOC session in 2011, we strongly feel that Durban is the best candidate for our 2020 bid." That would have been totally acceptable. There is no reason why an Olympic committee is obligated to have a formal internal selection process.

B.) Have a formal internal evaluation. Solicit bids with a clear deadline and choose the best candidate.

It would appear that SASCOC didn't choose either one of these options and that is troublesome. It seems as though they pretended to have a "process" without actually doing so and I'm not sure why. Communication obviously broke down somewhere. In my opinion, the visibility of this disagreement is not doing the eventual South African candidate any favors...

Look, once again, before this all unravelled I already backed Durban as our South African candidate in the same way I would back Johannesburg BUT

its disturbing that when via tweets or talks to top business people, engineers etc. who I am fortunate enough to come into contact with, say things like" CT was never on the list", "SASCOC- oh boy!" or comments regarding Reddy or Ramsamy and the bias they may have.

As I've said at SSC it still amazes me how people are quicker to believe that its the other THREE cities that were incompetent even just after organizing part of the WC and having dedicated 24 hour communications departments e.g. in the case of CT. When in actual fact its SASCOC with a history of incompetenece, and are currently about to receive a summons for failing to appear in parliament TWICE.

These issues have nothing to do with Durban, and would still apply if Durban missed the "deadline" because there was no deadline!

Football: City hosts opening ceremony of Cape Town Under-20 Premier’s Cup at Athlone Stadium

MEDIA RELEASE

NO. 698 / 2010

27 SEPTEMBER 2010

The South African Football Association (SAFA) Cape Town Premier’s Cup Under-20 Provincial Tournament is currently underway in Cape Town, and runs until Sunday, 03 October 2010.

The official opening ceremony for the tournament will take place at the Athlone Stadium this evening, 27 September.

Date: Monday 27 September

Time: 17:45

Venue: Athlone Stadium, Cross Road, off Klipfontein Road, Athlone Athlone

All media are invited to attend.

Games are already underway this morning at the Philippi Stadium, as North West takes on Mpumalanga and Free State takes on the national University team. Another two matches will be played at the Athlone Stadium today with Gauteng versus Eastern Cape at 16:00, and Limpopo versus the Western Cape at 18:00.

The City is hosting the tournament, in partnership with the Provincial Government of the Western Cape and SAFA Western Cape. The City hopes that this tournament will contribute to the development of South African football and create opportunities for young South Africans to showcase their sporting talents.

END

ISSUED BY:

COMMUNICATION DEPARTMENT, CITY OF CAPE TOWN

MEDIA ENQUIRIES:

ANTHONY JULIES

SERVICE COORDINATOR: SPORT, RECREATION AND AMENITIES DEPARTMENT

CITY OF CAPE TOWN

TEL: 021 400 2231 OR CELL: 072 865 9210

Same license as below.

Athlone_8349_50_51_fused.jpg

Athlone_8346_7_8_fused.jpgLicense cc_icon_attribution_small.gifcc_icon_noncomm_small.gifcc_icon_noderivs_small.gif Some rights reserved by smee.bruce

Sailing: La Rochelle to Cape Town

Velux 5 Oceans Race

Mykonos%20Start-18.JPG

Velux 5 Oceans –Exciting programme of events unveiled for Race Village

std_noname123.jpeg 'Exciting programme of events unveiled for Race Village - Velux 5 Oceans' Velux 5 Oceans © Velux 5 Oceans is imminent and excitement is mounting in the historic French city of La Rochelle. The hub of activity will be the Velux 5 Oceans race village, opening to the public on October 9.

The Velux 5 Oceans race village will form the nerve centre of the event located in the Bassin des Chalutiers, and will be officially opened by the skippers at 10am on October 9.

Built around the Velux House, the race village will overlook the pontoons which will host the competing Eco 60s. It will carry the message of ‘Taking on the Elements’, the race’s sustainability mission, supported by an exposition from race transport partner Maersk Line and other local eco exhibitors from the La Rochelle region.

Throughout the eight days leading to the start day the race village will host a range of activities, including dance and music performances, watersports in the marina, school visits, cooking challenges and a chance for the public to meet the Velux 5 Oceans skippers.

One of the highlights in the lead up to the Velux 5 Oceans start will be the arrival in La Rochelle of one of the most famous classic ships in France, the beautiful three-masted tallship Belem, which will enter the port on the evening of October 13. Each skipper will be introduced to the public in a special ceremony onboard the historic ship at 7.30pm.

The evening of Saturday October 16 will see ocean sailing and rugby join forces in a grand celebration of sport. The Velux 5 Oceans has teamed up with Top 14 rugby team Atlantique Stade Rochelais for their Amlin Challenge Cup second round clash against Agen. Atlantique Stade Rochelais will play in front of a crowd of 11,500 fans at their home ground Stade Marcel-Deflandre in a specially made kit inspired by the Velux 5 Oceans race.

In place of their normal yellow and black colours, the team will wear a shirt featuring an Eco 60 yacht surrounded by open sea and the Velux 5 Oceans logo. On Friday October 15, the day before the match, the Velux 5 Oceans skippers will go head to head with the Atlantique Stade Rochelais players in a winch grinding challenge at the Velux House in the race village.

On race day, October 17, thousands of well-wishers are expected to pack the race village to say goodbye to the sailors before joining them on the water in a spectacular send off. A detailed programme of events for race day will be released in the coming weeks.

The Velux 5 Oceans, run by Clipper Ventures PLC, is the longest running solo round the world race, and has 28 years of rich heritage as the BOC Challenge and then the Around Alone. This edition features five ocean sprints over nine months. After heading from La Rochelle to Cape Town, the race will then take in Wellington in New Zealand, Salvador in Brazil and Charleston in the US before returning back across the Atlantic to France.

The Velux 5 Oceans will start at 4pm on October 17 from La Rochelle.

Cape Town Marathon Start

At Cape Town Station

5024927241_bf9ee8e301_b.jpg

Olympic bid would boost Cape Town Marathon review

2010-09-27 12:00:00 Edition 1

A Cape Town Olympic bid could transform the Cape Town Marathon into one of the world's top events, according to newly elected Athletics South Africa chairman, James Evans, after yesterday's annual city marathon.

Spring water carried by 5.1km pipeline to Green Point Urban Park

GreenPointUP.jpg

Green Point Urban Park is an enviable green, no matter on which side of the fence you’re standing. That’s because within two months the Urban Park will no longer be dependent on potable (drinkable) water for irrigation, and will instead be watered by sustainable spring water from Oranjezicht, transported via re-cycled pipelines.

The City’s Green Point Irrigation Project, which should be complete by the end of this November, will see water carried by a 5.1km pipeline from the Main Springs in Belmont Avenue (Oranjezicht, below Table Mountain) to the Green Point Urban Park.

The Project is one of the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ Host City Green Goal Projects, because of the way in which it minimises the use of potable water and promotes conservation of scarce water resources. The spring water will not need to be treated to meet drinking water standards, thus costing about a third of the cost of potable water.

Water from the springs was the original supply that facilitated the establishment of Cape Town as a replenishment station for shipping in 1652. The use of this spring was formalised in 1682, and a chamber was built to protect the Main Spring in 1813. Over time, the spring water was canalised, and today it is mostly conveyed underground in a series of pipes and stormwater drains, eventually draining into Table Bay.

The water supply from the spring to the park will be restricted to a percentage of the current average daily flow of 2.5 million litres per day. This prevents the depletion of natural resources, because the average demand is only 1.25 million litres per day.

The water will be conveyed using an abandoned existing water pipeline through the city, which will minimise construction and the disruption. And, of course, re-use and re-cycling of materials and infrastructure is an important element of green, sustainable urban development.

Trenchless technology is being used for approximately 80% of the work, which requires minimal excavation and therefore lessens the disruption.

The City apologises to residents for any inconvenience as a result of the construction work and thanks them for their patience with this important project.

Published by Martin Pollack.

Aerial+pic+of+Green+POint.jpg

Archived