CAPE TOWN 2020

Rafa

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PART 1:OLYMPIC FOOTBALL COMPETITION

The Olympic football tournament held in some of the best world class stadia across South Africa used for the 2010 soccer world cup will climax in finals at the newly built 50,000 seat Athlone Football Stadium stadium 12km from the Olympic Park, while finals will also be held at the 50,000 capacity Newlands Rugby Stadium and the new 80,000 capacity Olympic stadium situated at the Olympic Park.

The other stadia used across the country will be of an excellent quality and existing tranport infrastructure to these verious cities is of a good quality. The three other football venues are; the 95,000 capacity Soccer City stadium, the home of football in South Africa and the venue for the 2010 World Cup Final. Kings Park stadium and Port Elizabeth Stadium which each seat 60,000  and 50,000 respectively will also host matches during the preliminary stage ensuring various parts of the country experience the great sporting and cultural event that is the Olympic Games.

Football training facilities in Cape Town are endless and of an excellent quality.

1. Athlone Football Stadium 50,000 Completion Date 2008

2. Newlands Rugby Stadium 50,000 Existing

3. Olympic Stadium 80,000 New

4. Soccer City Stadium 94,700 Existing, Upgrade completion date 2008

5. Kings Park Stadium Existing 60,000 Upgrade Complete: 2008

6. Port Elizabeth Stadium 50,000 Planned, Complete: 2008

1.photo04995ey.jpg

2.100.jpg

3.image_768.jpg

image_765.jpg

4.100.jpg

5.100.jpg

6.stadiumpe8ws.jpg

pestadium8ue.jpg

All stadia except the Olympic Stadium are existing irrespective of hosting the Games.

What may i ask ever happened to Ellis Park?

By the way, none of these venues are spectacular, but they all get the pass mark, some by quite a distance.

Im not downing South Africa at all, but compared to the venues selected in Germany 2006, these are well beaten.

Ellis park is still up and running...its doing great...the entire area is being transformed into a new precinct...along with the athletics stadium and parks and businesses and its aquatic centre....

i dont think south africa is in competition with germany in terms of venues...i dont think many places can compete with germany...we have 7 existing stadia...thats the difference...no overboard overspending..stadia with legacies and meaning...of course none of them are massive over the top designs...but i think our 100,000 seater soccer city craps all over berlins "athletics" stadium that will hosting their finals...lovely sightlines their stadium has with its poles all around the upper tier...and im sure the fans just love the blue athletics track...esp for a world cup final...germany's venues are excellent...the atmosphere for the world cup final ina 100,00 seater soccer stadium though will be amazing..unique...mmm..what should the next installment of venues be?

Yeah but compared to Munich, Stuggart and Liepzig, South Africa, in terms of design doesnt shape up that well compared to Germany.

The Berlin Olympic Stadium sightlines are perfect, except for those poles which i think are being removed and replace with roof supports. I think for the World Cup.

PART 2: OLYMPIC ARCHERY, NEWLANDS CRICKET STADIUM

CAPACITY: 25,000

Archery one of the lesser known sports in South Africa has been gaining recognition in South Africa in leaps and bounds. The South African archery association has grown from strength to strength with the last two national competitions being held in Cape Town. The Olympic Archery competition in Cape Town 2020, will dramatically be set against the backdrop of table mountain, providing athletes, spectators and the media alike with a most beautiful and comfortable setting for the competition. Newlands Cricket Stadium itself, now known as Sahara Park has hosted many international cricket events and in 2003 hosted the Cricket World Cup opening ceremony in front of a 30,000 strong crowd.

The playing field will be easily adapted and the conditions will be ideal for archery, offering excellent facilities for athletes as well as a Sports Science Institute a one minute walk away, with training areas provided adjacent to the stadium.

Transport to the stadium from the proposed olympic park would be quick, safe and efficient. The stadium itself runs adjacent to the rail lines from the Olympic Park. The proposed time to this venue from the Olympic Village is 7 minutes from the Olympic Park station to Newlands Station which sits conveniently between newlands rugby and cricket stadium allowing fans to attend both football finals and archery finals in one complex.

newl2005_1.jpg

newl2005_5_railwaystand.jpg

After the games, the venue will return to its previous use for cricket, while the sport of archery will be left with a great legacy when the national archery competitions are held at newlands cricket stadium.

519151228zj.jpg

Adapted from the London 2012 bid video:

Cape Town's bid for the 2020 Olympic games and Paralympic games will draw on all that Cape Town has to offer, by setting the games at the very heart, of this, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Making use of some of Cape Town’s most loved historical landmarks and existing world class sports facilities this will be amongst the most memorable and most magical games for Africa and for the World.

The 25,000 capacity Sahara Park at Newlands, the host to the cricket world cup opening ceremony, with one of the most spectacular backdrops in the world will be the venue for archery. The football tournament held in some of the best world class stadia across South Africa used for the 2010 soccer world cup will climax in finals at the 50,000 seat Athlone stadium 12km from the Olympic Park, the 50,000 seater Newlands Rugby stadium and the new 80,000 capacity Olympic stadium. Robben Island, the world heritage site on which Nelson Mandela was imprisoned will become the venue for shot put, providing a majestic view of Cape Town’s most well known symbol, Table Mountain. While the rowing and canoe kayak flat-water will take place at a new magnificent venue, the Zeekoevlei Regatta Centre, to become the Africa’s premier rowing and canoe kayak flat-water centre.

Ensuring the games have a dramatic and breathtaking visual impact, Cape Town will make use of Camps Bay beach, providing a stunning backdrop to the beach volleyball competition of the twelve apostles throughout the competition. Cape Town’s previously disadvantaged areas will receive maximum benefit from the games, existing indoor centres at Mew Way, Phillpi East and Belhar will be upgraded to host the Boxing Competition, Basketball Prelims and Judo and Taekwondo Events, ensuring that all of Cape Town experiences the joy, excitement and legacy of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The Greenpoint Common Area as well as hosting the triathlon events, the new futuristic tennis centre (including a 12,000 seat centre court) and football matches at the newly upgraded 25,000 seat Greenpoint stadium, will be one of the many locations to bring the city alive with nightly concerts and celebrations. The Olympic spirit will touch all of Cape Town transforming its most beautiful areas into Olympic sites. The Kenilworth racecourse will be transformed to host the equestrian event providing equestrian athletes with a most beautiful setting.

But this games isn’t just about using what Cape Town already has to offer, it’s also about creating a legacy for the future, by the most extensive transformation Cape Town has seen for generations. The new purpose built Olympic park is just 11 km from central Cape Town, every aspect of the design and layout has been planned to meet the future needs of Olympic and Paralympic athletes and create a unique and exhilarating atmosphere. The centre piece will be an 80,000 seat state of the art Olympic stadium which has been specifically designed for athletics but capable of being transformed into a rugby, football and cricket venue within hours. It also boasts superb sightlines for spectators, the media and the IOC family. This will sit alongside a 16,000 seat aquatic centre with retractable roof, host to all four disciplines. Three indoor arenas will provide a home for handball, basketball, gymnastics and volleyball. The new 17,000 seat Olympic Superbowl will provide a spacious and world class indoor arena for two of these sports; basketball and artistic gymnastics.

Cape Town’s Olympic village will be located inside the park at the heart of the sporting action and celebrations. Athletes will be at the centre of the Olympic experience within walking distance of the main stadium and within sight of the Olympic stadium. It will provide a highly secure, spacious and comfortable accommodation for all athletes and team delegations; it will sit besides the Olympic River and across the Olympic bridge from the Olympic Nations Square. Other existing venues such as the Good hope centre and the excellent Cape Town International Convention Centre will be used for table tennis, wrestling and weightlifting. This ensures that over 80% of athletes will complete within 20km of the Olympic village, making this, one of the most compact games ever. Central Cape Town is just 9 minutes away by train via the Olympic Spear line, a new high speed shuttle service between the city and Olympic Park, capable of transporting athletes, media persons from Media City, as well as officials to the Olympic Park in 10 minutes or less. Five other rail and underground lines will form the basis of a comprehensive public transport system capable of aserving every venue. A dedicated Olympic route network will provide athletes and officials with quick and easy journeys between venues and will take IOC members to and from their accommodation at the spectacular waterfront Table Bay Hotel.

And when the games are over they will leave a lasting sporting legacy. The Olympic park will house the new world class Cape Town institute of sports, along with the NOCSA headquarters and the Olympic Museum of Africa.  The new venues will allow Cape Town to host major international competitions and events. Our aim is to inspire the youth of Africa and the world to choose sport and unite our city and country once again. The 2020 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games will transform Cape Town and Cape Town will bring to the games the Capetonian flavour and creativity, the Western Cape's beauty and the South African passion for sport. Athletes will compete in full stadia bursting with colour and excitement. These will be the games of hope, inspiring and uniting Africa and the world through the ideals of sport and olympism.

2020, isn't too early after the FIFA soccer world cup ?

10 Years after? That's plenty of time and never stopped even closer dual hostings in the past (Mexico City 1968-Mexico 1970, Munich 1972-West Germany 1974, Spain 1982-Barcelona 1992, USA 1994-Atlanta 1996).

What about the hotelcapacity? With the last bid for the 2004 Games one of the main problems was a very big shortage of hotelspace......

Next to that: the income in Africa (even in South Africa) is still very low, so that ticketsales in Cape Town and South Africa itself will be very dificult.

I doubt if Cape Town will be able to convince the IOC, they organise good Games. First the World Cup and than we'll see?!

2020, isn't too early after the FIFA soccer world cup ?

I think so.

South Africa isn't poor but isn't also very rich... :oops:

What about the hotelcapacity? With the last bid for the 2004 Games one of the main problems was a very big shortage of hotelspace......

Next to that: the income in Africa (even in South Africa) is still very low, so that ticketsales in Cape Town and South Africa itself will be very dificult.

I doubt if Cape Town will be able to convince the IOC, they organise good Games. First the World Cup and than we'll see?!

Hotel capacity is not sufficient..however the hotel industry is booming...

the IOC's accomodation requirements is 40,000

this will be met through existing 30,000 rooms

15,000 media village

10,000 rooms in cruise ships

totalling 55,000

u doubt cape town can convince the IOC????? ill put that down to ur ignorance not mine...i do however agree that local ticketsales will be conservative...however plans were made before and are being made for the 2010 soccer world cup to account for the lower income population through some ticketing system...

Hotel capacity is not sufficient..however the hotel industry is booming...

the IOC's accomodation requirements is 40,000

this will be met through existing 30,000 rooms

15,000 media village

10,000 rooms in cruise ships

totalling 55,000

u doubt cape town can convince the IOC????? ill put that down to ur ignorance not mine...i do however agree that local ticketsales will be conservative...however plans were made before and are being made for the 2010 soccer world cup to account for the lower income population through some ticketing system...

Besides, what pundits have not really counted on is that, say a World Cup or an Olympics in the southern Hemisphere will get greater visitors from South AMerican than if the same event were held in the North.  I mean I am sure WC tix will sell out easily in Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay since travel to RSA will be shorter, cheaper and more direct.

PART 3: OLYMPIC HOCKEY

The Olympic Hockey Competition will be held at the existing very good facility at Hartleyvale. The venue is well located and is regularly used, therefore its Olympic upgrade will provide an even greater legacy for this sport in South Africa. The venue is about 10 minutes from the Olympic Village, situated close to the IBC and MPC, and six mins from the city centre. It currently consists of two fields. The current stadium only seats about 3,000. In Olympic mode the stadium with the use of temporary seating would host 5,000 specators and act as the secondary stadium.

The main stadium would be a temporary stadium, with possibly a temporary roof to cover spectators around the stadium and would seat 15,000. The new temporary stadium would be located adjacent to the secondary stadium. The third field which already exists would be used as a training and warm-up field.

The venue has hosted Olympic trials, and acts as one of South Africa's and Africa's premier hockey venues.

hockeyhart.jpg

hart51oa.jpg

hockey10to.th.jpghockey10to.jpg

hockeycentrepaintdoodle6iw.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
<font color='#000000'>10 Years after? That's plenty of time and never stopped even closer dual hostings in the past (Mexico City 1968-Mexico 1970, Munich 1972-West Germany 1974, Spain 1982-Barcelona 1992, USA 1994-Atlanta 1996).</font>

I agree! I feel pretty damn sure that Cape Town will get the 2020 games. And also, as the olympics seem to be rotating around the continents I think this will work out for South Africa.

For 2016, it looks as it going to go to the Americas (out of Rio or Chicago) after 2012 being in Europe (London), and after 2008 being in Asia (Beijing).

Auckand (NZ) would have been my original first preference for 2020 but nothing like that appears likely to happen so in that case it Cape Town is definately my next preference. Along with South America, Africa is the only continent which the olympics have never come to and the time should be right in 2020 for them to be there for the first time.

Archived