London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

I like using the British flag as a background for London's logo... finally something British!

Take a look at Rio's logo... Brazilian, modern, has 21st century written allover it and with colors reflect nature in just in Rio but everywhere! You can see Brazil and Rio in that logo.

London's logo, on the other hand, is the most expensive picture frame ever and you even can't find the "Made in the UK" label on it

We've been through this already.

To put it bluntly, if you don't understand why the brand looks the way that it does, why it's so different than what past hosts have created, than you don't understand what the London 2012 Games will be about.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL....on par? You've gotta be kidding. I'm quite sure these 2012 mascots won't be anywhere as popular as the 2010 mascots, though they will most certainly sell to a certain extent as come 2012 peop

I love the idea, but the animation of the cartoon is dreadful.

**** sake move on - yes you hate the mascot - logo etc etc - but are you still pissed off about the british press & vancouver?? mandeville and wenlock are on par with vancouver's mascots - get use

While LOCOG's 2012 may be 'dynamic' in its "present" multiple uses, I don't think it will stand the test of time. I just don't see it being a classic logo like Munich's or LA's Star in Motion or Lillehammer's "Northern Lights" logo. In hindsight, it will rank up there with Ilanaaq and Izzy and Neve/Glitz as among the more WTF? designs of Olympic branding.

While LOCOG's 2012 may be 'dynamic' in its "present" multiple uses, I don't think it will stand the test of time. I just don't see it being a classic logo like Munich's or LA's Star in Motion or Lillehammer's "Northern Lights" logo. In hindsight, it will rank up there with Ilanaaq and Izzy and Neve/Glitz as among the more WTF? designs of Olympic branding.

well - only time will tell!

Stop boring us with regurgitated LOCOG press releases about how brilliant this brand is. It isn’t. It’s just some awkward pink bits that kinda hurt my eyes even a year later.

Why is it so much more flexible than anything else? It isn’t. As long as it is not overly complex and fits within certain parameters, that can be said of nearly any brand. Nearly every brand is flexible to a certain degree. Nearly any logo can be applied to numerous uses. LOCOG did not re-invent the idea of the brand with these bits of pink. They just created a design that is controversial because it isn't particularly attractive, is rather nondescript and meaningless to the event it represents, and is equally unpleasant for its blandness as it is for its pungency.

I'm used to it, but still find it uninspired and uninspiring.

Who are you adressing is it me? I do hope so. Im not regurgitating anything Im expressing my opinion.

If you dont see how flexible the London logo is at this stage then I am fighting a loosing battle describing it to you. On one logo the logo is solid blue, on another the boxes feature a union flag. On others the boxes are filled with atheletes participating in sport. The shape stays the same but they all tell a different story. You dont see how that is flexible? Now look at the Beijing logo, its constantly the same. Do you see the difference now? This is my last post on the subject, if people dont get the flexability, that aint my problem, I have done my best to describe it as simply as possible. Lets get back to the mascot shall we

I am going to stay neutral on its effectiveness. However, one thing I will comment on is how it goes down in history.

while LOCOG can constantly come up every week with a different application for the logo, putting a different infill, a new animation etc etc - history will show a summary of London 2012, and there will be one symbol.

Come 2013, there will be no LOCOG around to insert a photo of the latest Brit sports hero of the day inside the logo, they will have to settle for one image that the world will remember.

And if that image is to be the logo with , lets say, a fluro pink infill - well, im not entirely sure if that is going to reflect as being any more or less advanced compared to the likes of the Millennium athlete, the snowflower, the northern lights or Athens Embraces the World.

Right I have done this to show how easy I feel it is to create a mascot that sits with the London 2012 branding using colour, shape and pattern.

I am NOT in anyway shape or form suggesting this as a mascot, I dont think a fox is particularly right, it is just an excersese to show my thinking. Again I am NOT proposing or submitting this as a design, I am not an illustrator. This is just to show my thinking.

Introducing Foxy ; )

foxythefoxfinallo9.jpg

davey that is actually Better then the Logo itself LOL. I can tell that is a Fox . Great idea for sure and I am being totally truthful . The only conflict I can see is NBC not wanting to Advertise FOX LOL.

Gosh I read that the Brown Government has lost two document file folders on Trains this week and now a Laptop containing Domestic Security information how does this country think it will be able to handle the games with the ammount of stupidity going on . Oh and I am not thinking for a moment that Canada is perfect considering the Foriegn Affairs minister leaving the doucments for the exit plan for Canada out of afghanistan were leaft for 3 months on his ex girlfriends coffee table in her condo. She was a Girlfriend once of a Hells Angel before the Cabinet minister.

jim jones

I am going to stay neutral on its effectiveness. However, one thing I will comment on is how it goes down in history.

while LOCOG can constantly come up every week with a different application for the logo, putting a different infill, a new animation etc etc - history will show a summary of London 2012, and there will be one symbol.

Come 2013, there will be no LOCOG around to insert a photo of the latest Brit sports hero of the day inside the logo, they will have to settle for one image that the world will remember.

And if that image is to be the logo with , lets say, a fluro pink infill - well, im not entirely sure if that is going to reflect as being any more or less advanced compared to the likes of the Millennium athlete, the snowflower, the northern lights or Athens Embraces the World.

i think it is difficult to form an intelligent opinion fully on the logo as we are still 4 years away from the event - we will only see locog uping their marketing camapigns after beijing is over. maybe then we will see how it will work in conjunction with tv ads - an upgraded website , mascot etc? also history should judge the logo in relation to the overall look of the 2 weeks - ie how will this reflect in uniforms and the look of the games etc.

i always think back to LA in 84 which had an awkward logo but had the best "look of the games" ever IMO! i always remember the colour of LA and not so much the logo.

at the end of the day it is a very polarising logo - totally different to what has been before - most people seem to hate it - i personally like it now (at the time it seemed like an anti-climax) - time will tell!

davey that is actually Better then the Logo itself LOL. I can tell that is a Fox . Great idea for sure and I am being totally truthful . The only conflict I can see is NBC not wanting to Advertise FOX LOL.

Gosh I read that the Brown Government has lost two document file folders on Trains this week and now a Laptop containing Domestic Security information how does this country think it will be able to handle the games with the ammount of stupidity going on . Oh and I am not thinking for a moment that Canada is perfect considering the Foriegn Affairs minister leaving the doucments for the exit plan for Canada out of afghanistan were leaft for 3 months on his ex girlfriends coffee table in her condo. She was a Girlfriend once of a Hells Angel before the Cabinet minister.

jim jones

Cheers fella. Im actually working on another one, hopefully if they announce a competition I will be good to go. ; )

jim jones

If Civil Servants were in charge of security at the Games I would aggree with you, but they're not. The Metropolitan Police and the armed forces will be responsble for drawing up the security strategy and implementing it.

Edited by Ripley
i always think back to LA in 84 which had an awkward logo but had the best "look of the games" ever IMO! i always remember the colour of LA and not so much the logo.

Strange that you should recall LA and its color palette because that is where I think LOCOG picks up -- not doing a blue, or a blue red and white. But picking up the hot pink, maybe a magenta, of LA-1984's bold and radical palette.

I agree with what mattgys said; when LOCOG is disbanded, records (i.e., IOC website and the Olympic museum in Lausanne) and any gallery of Olympic logos will only pick one 'static' version (probably the hot pink one) as the rep of 2012 -- not a whole series of flashing designs, etc. -- which is why I said it would not retain its brilliance and innovation over the passage of time.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
I agree with what mattgys said; when LOCOG is disbanded, records (i.e., IOC website and the Olympic museum in Lausanne) and any gallery of Olympic logos will only pick one 'static' version (probably the hot pink one) as the rep of 2012 -- not a whole series of flashing designs, etc. -- which is why I said it would not retain its brilliance and innovation over the passage of time.

But, why one? No other logo has had more than one version of itself as much as this one has, so we really have nothing to go by. And besides, there are gifs - regular picture files capable of animation that can be placed anywhere (forums included), without the need of flash or anything. Take this, for example: http://www.tate.org.uk/40artists40days/art...London_2012.gif

Strange that you should recall LA and its color palette because that is where I think LOCOG picks up -- not doing a blue, or a blue red and white. But picking up the hot pink, maybe a magenta, of LA-1984's bold and radical palette.

Actually Baron you are right about the color scheme for La 84 they had about 8 pastel colors in banner ,balloons, scaffolding uniforms to make it festive. The difference is that way they did it . The LA 84 logo tied the Event to being a USA event very apparent. The LA 84 look made for a a total change in sport festivals with a festive celebratory look. I honestly Think Rio would be that way and you could see the influence on the RIO 2007 pan am games.

The past month I have been studying that report thanks to your posting the link from LA 84 foundation and I have detailed all this in a document for a certain countries bid on a sports festival . It is to not copy LA 84 per say . it is to say dressing up venues and grounds can give a much better vision and even show being both prepared and eager to organize. The country can have its local spin and artistic flare. Frankly with the London Logo I can't see how it connects to great britian except if a nuclear war was to break out destroying all civilization completely.

A logo for a Statement purpose it is but what indeed is the statement LOL. To me Britains creative arts industry could ahve done much much better then that still breaking new ground but not breaking our heads with that ugly thing. I thought that the London bid logo was good.

Oh and too Civil servants will not be ruling security. What do you actually think a cop or the military is ? They are civil servants basically. It is the leadership that fails on this account

jim jones

The past month I have been studying that report thanks to your posting the link from LA 84 foundation and I have detailed all this in a document for a certain countries bid on a sports festival .

jim jones

You're welcome, jim. Glad I could help. I guess the LA Foundation put it out there for everyone to learn and benefit from.

We've been through this already.

To put it bluntly, if you don't understand why the brand looks the way that it does, why it's so different than what past hosts have created, than you don't understand what the London 2012 Games will be about.

I understand it's about young people around the globe... we got it but I don't think that all young people can relate to "the brand" and a British touch in the logo of the first British Olympics since 1948 won't hurt... after all it's London's Games.

Let's see how the mascot will look like... it's not easy to find animal/bird respected by all cultures.

understand it's about young people around the globe... we got it but I don't think that all young people can relate to "the brand" and a British touch in the logo of the first British Olympics since 1948 won't hurt... after all it's London's Games.

Let's see how the mascot will look like... it's not easy to find animal/bird respected by all cultures.

Well, I think it’s admirable what they're doing. Coming from a country like Britain, it shouldn't be most surprising and unexpected thing either. With that said, I think we would also be seeing the same thing, this international approach, if Paris or New York had won in 2005.

As for the mascot, it doesn’t have to be an animal. My money's on two young Londoners, a boy and a girl.

I have one with to say Priceless the Humor of Great Britians People

mascotsock.jpg

I guess if you are in the Uk and your Committee can't cap the costs on the stadium between November and now (having a ten precent increase) that is still a gloried hole in the ground at this point then you have to really have to Mock the Committee with the Pc correct Ed the Sock puppet. Very Dickens like LOL. More Socks Lord Coe WHAT more Socks

Jim Jones

Again. So what? Many logos have the flexibility described. Look at the logos for Apple, NBC, I*heart*NY, CBC, or Tokyo 1964 - they could all and have all done different applications of their logo that are similar to this "innovation" that London has done. Even maligned Olympic logos like LA, Atlanta, Vancouver, and Montreal have had similar treatments. It just isn't that special.

olymp_poster_1984.jpg

And while the message of a youth oriented, inspiring Olympic for "everyone" is a noble idea, who are the Olympic currently for? Old people?

I dunno, its been debated to death and the debate is as boring as the logo. Some people love it. Most people hate it. And a few just really want to love it. See ya in 2016.

Actually Baron you are right about the color scheme for La 84 they had about 8 pastel colors in banner ,balloons, scaffolding uniforms to make it festive. The difference is that way they did it . The LA 84 logo tied the Event to being a USA event very apparent. The LA 84 look made for a a total change in sport festivals with a festive celebratory look. I honestly Think Rio would be that way and you could see the influence on the RIO 2007 pan am games.

The past month I have been studying that report thanks to your posting the link from LA 84 foundation and I have detailed all this in a document for a certain countries bid on a sports festival . It is to not copy LA 84 per say . it is to say dressing up venues and grounds can give a much better vision and even show being both prepared and eager to organize. The country can have its local spin and artistic flare. Frankly with the London Logo I can't see how it connects to great britian except if a nuclear war was to break out destroying all civilization completely.

A logo for a Statement purpose it is but what indeed is the statement LOL. To me Britains creative arts industry could ahve done much much better then that still breaking new ground but not breaking our heads with that ugly thing. I thought that the London bid logo was good.

Oh and too Civil servants will not be ruling security. What do you actually think a cop or the military is ? They are civil servants basically. It is the leadership that fails on this account

jim jones

The police and military in the UK are not classed as civil servants. Civil servants run the civilian government on behalf of politicians and are not trained to enforce security. The secret service (MI5/MI6) are classed as civil servants if you're wanting to extend this very spurious and tenuous argument....

The police and military in the UK are not classed as civil servants. Civil servants run the civilian government on behalf of politicians and are not trained to enforce security. The secret service (MI5/MI6) are classed as civil servants if you're wanting to extend this very spurious and tenuous argument....

Yeah after all they do make such huge profits the millitary and the police do rolling my eyes.

Jim jones

Again. So what? Many logos have the flexibility described. Look at the logos for Apple, NBC, I*heart*NY, CBC, or Tokyo 1964 - they could all and have all done different applications of their logo that are similar to this "innovation" that London has done. Even maligned Olympic logos like LA, Atlanta, Vancouver, and Montreal have had similar treatments. It just isn't that special.

olymp_poster_1984.jpg

And while the message of a youth oriented, inspiring Olympic for "everyone" is a noble idea, who are the Olympic currently for? Old people?

I dunno, its been debated to death and the debate is as boring as the logo. Some people love it. Most people hate it. And a few just really want to love it. See ya in 2016.

One final point the LA 84 picture you have shown is the poster treatment. It takes the star logo and places pics inside it. The poster is a different thing to the logo. The LA 84 logo when shown alone was solid colour not used with in-fills. There's a difference, the London logo does change, it can be solid, it can have in-fills.