London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

I've just read the soundtrack was recorded by the National Youth Orchestra. Great that our best young musicians are getting involved. Be good to get them back in some form for the ceremonies; though of course London has four world class professional symphony orchestras who will also be wanting a slice of the pie.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I love how LOCOG is working with the mascots. They've become much more than another symbol of the Games, it's like they're really alive! :P

I hope this serves as an example to Rio and all future hosts (honestly, I don't expect much from Sochi...).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Absolute proof that London 2012 were spot on with their mascot choices comes from the BOA who have launched their own Team GB mascot - a very unimaganitive collection of red, white and blue lions named Pride.

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/london-2012/0615419-london-2012-team-gb-mascot-pride-looks-deliver-cuddly-cash-boost

They look so dated (they could be from 1948) and are nowhere near as effective as Mandeville and Wenlock.

• 4 months later...

The London 2012 Organising Committee (Locog) is probing claims over poor pay and conditions at a Chinese factory where toy Games mascots are being made.

Telford firm Golden Bear was awarded the contract to make toy versions of the mascots Mandeville and Wenlock in August 2010.

But the pay and conditions of the Chinese workers making the toys have been criticised in media reports.

Golden Bear and Locog said they were taking the allegations "seriously".

In a statement, Golden Bear Chairman John Hales said the firm was "extremely concerned".

"We are a family run business that takes these issues very seriously indeed and has in place certificates of compliance at all factories used to produce our products," he said.

"We are therefore in the process of conducting an immediate investigation and will be able to comment on these findings as soon as they are known to us.

"We can confirm, however, that the factory in question has passed the ICTI (International Council of Toy Industries) care process inspection and that we will be working with the BTHA (British Toy and Hobby Association) ICTI care and other authorities in order to resolve any conditions that may have been breached."

A London 2012 spokesman said: "We have asked our independent monitor to carry out a comprehensive investigation and review of these allegations.

"The outcome of this investigation will be made public as soon as it is concluded.

"We have contacted all of our licensees to reiterate to them the importance we place on the sustainable sourcing code they have each signed up to."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-16666262

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
London 2012 mascot Mandeville given permanent home at Paralympics birthplace

StokeMandevilleMascot210113-550x413.jpg

January 22 - Stoke Mandeville Stadium in Buckinghamshire will provide a permanent home to one of the 83 decorated Olympic mascots which were placed in London for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, after Lloyds Banking Group donated one of the Mandeville sculptures to the National Centre for Disability Sport.

The "Splashy" Mandeville sculpture will take up permanent residence at Stoke Mandeville Stadium, the National Centre for Disability Sport, in the village that he was named after.

Stoke Mandeville is celebrated as "the birthplace of the Paralympics", after Dr Ludwig Guttmann organised javelin and archery events for patients of the National Spinal Injuries Centre at Stoke Mandeville hospital in 1948, to coincide with the Olympic Games in London that year.

The Games went on to become national and international, before the term "Paralympic Games" was first used at Seoul 1988 to signify that the Games ran "parallel" to the Olympic Games.

"We are delighted to welcome 'Splashy' to his permanent home here at Stoke Mandeville Stadium." said Martin McElhatton, chief executive of WheelPower, the national organisation for wheelchair sport in the UK, based at Stoke Mandeville Stadium.

"I am very grateful to Lloyds Banking Group for the generous gift and their continued support of WheelPower and all the work that goes on here at the stadium.

"We have thousands of children that come to the stadium and we know Splashy will bring a smile to the faces of those who see him."

Eva Eisenschimmel, Group Marketing Director at Lloyds Banking Group, said: "Our relationship with Stoke Mandeville Stadium is very important to us, and a number of my colleagues have been involved with fundraising events for WheelPower.

"It was also a great experience to attend the Paralympic Torch Relay Flame Festival; it was a wonderful event, which was so full of anticipation.

"We are delighted to be able to handover 'Splashy' to everyone at Stoke Mandeville, I couldn't think of a better place for him."

Insidethegames

Nice idea!

Archived