London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

OOh cheers for all your lovely words. I will do a thread next week and load them all up, I keep meaning to do it.

Yes I am a Graphic Designer, here in the UK I work for a decent sized agency but certainly not a big London named one.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL....on par? You've gotta be kidding. I'm quite sure these 2012 mascots won't be anywhere as popular as the 2010 mascots, though they will most certainly sell to a certain extent as come 2012 peop

I love the idea, but the animation of the cartoon is dreadful.

**** sake move on - yes you hate the mascot - logo etc etc - but are you still pissed off about the british press & vancouver?? mandeville and wenlock are on par with vancouver's mascots - get use

Yeeeekkk!

I was absent from gamesbids for quite some time, and didn´t notice the launch of London´s 2012 mascots...

but now that I´ve seen it, I can tell that I feel dissapointed. They just seems too weird for me.

Probably they will be a sucess among teenagers or pre-teens.... but I really don´t like them.

Get over the fact that most people think the logo and mascots are ****.

I agree. I´ve just shown their pictures to my pals at the office and everybody frown their eyebrows and scratched their heads saying... what the heck are these characters ?

100% sincere.

I love London. I love the UK. I lived there for a couple of years.

I think the look is an embarrassment and totally unworthy of the city and the country.

I don't doubt that the Games will be organized exceptionally well, but the aesthetic choices dumbfound me.

I will say that davey's signature makes the very best out of a bad situation.

I think the look is an embarrassment and totally unworthy of the city and the country.

The "look" hasn't been decided yet, just as Vancouver's and Beijing's hadn't at this stage.

The "look" hasn't been decided yet, just as Vancouver's and Beijing's hadn't at this stage.

Forgive me. Poor choice of words. I did not mean "the look" in terms of fence fabric and banners. I meant the logo. The color scheme that we have seen thus far. The Olympic tower. The mascots. In my opinion all of those elements fail to represent London and the UK at its best.

On the positive side, the stadium and the acquatic center are coming along nicely -- but that's pretty much the only thing I can affirm.

I agree. I´ve just shown their pictures to my pals at the office and everybody frown their eyebrows and scratched their heads saying... what the heck are these characters ?

I've found, on my limited personal survey of about half a dozen people, that when shown pics of the mascots, and especially the men in suits pic used in most of the international coverage, the best response you get is a raised eyebrow and the worst is the inevitable "WTF?". The trouble then is getting them to look at the video - which generally gets a very popular response if they persevere that far.

It's not doing my Olympic nerd rep any good trying to badger people into watching a video of games mascots.

:mellow:

Edited by Sir Roltel

Hmmm i also noticed some similarties with the ''Devil'' robots from the Megaman videogame franchise.

280px-YellowDevilMK2.jpg

300px-Shadowdevil.jpg

Uh oh. Keiji Inafune's gonna sue somebody :blink:

The trouble is, 90 per cent of the world's population is only ever going to see the mascots as guys in suits - most of them when the inevitable guys in suits parade around in TV coverege during the games.

The good thing is, those most likely to view animations of them are the target audience - the kids.

Vengeance is a bitch.

Remember, Britain made fun of the Vancouver Olympics

By Adrian MacNair May 20, 2010 – 1:05 pm

National Post

And then they produced this.

I think I had nightmares involving these mascots long before they became the brain child of the London 2012 Olympic Organizing Committee. The one-eyed creatures, called Wenlock and Mandeville, come a close second to the hideousness of the London 2012 logo design, which if carefully reorganized, spells a rather more appropriate word.

Amazingly enough, these walking alien penis creatures are marketed toward children, hoping to raise £15 million in merchandising these frighteningly ugly mascots in toy form. Yes, you can bring the joy of the 2012 London Olympic Games into your home by purchasing Wenlock, the one-eyed mascot that walks erect.

Just how did such a terrible marketing idea come to fruition anyway? For that answer, you’d have to ask former Childrens’ Laureate Michael Morpurgo, who came up with the concept of the mascots being fashioned from two drops of molten steel. Just reading that made me shudder involuntarily.

London 2012 believes the key to meeting their commercial target is to develop a storyline for Wenlock and Mandeville to market to pre-teens against top brands like Dr.Who. The Organizers say the figures are derivative of Pokemon and lava lamps, and are intended to appeal to a new age of “digital children.”

You see, the Cyclops eyes are supposed to be lenses, and in the animated film that will feature these two characters… well, I’m not really going to explain it to you because quite frankly it bored me just reading it and I’ll save you four minutes of your life you can never get back.

Of the other suggestions that organizers rejected in favour of the Johnson twins, were tea-pots, pigeons, lions, and even the Big Ben clock with arms and legs. But in the end they settled on the design because it’s “flexible” [yikes], and the characters have a lot of potential for linking into the “digital” motif.

But if the mascots don’t appeal to the kids, I think the vast untapped potential for merchandising sales is with the Japanese tourists.

Read more: http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2010/05/20/remember-britain-made-fun-of-the-vancouver-olympics/#ixzz0obuE2fKC

100% sincere.

I love London. I love the UK. I lived there for a couple of years.

I don't doubt that the Games will be organized exceptionally well, but the aesthetic choices dumbfound me.

I will say that davey's signature makes the very best out of a bad situation.

get over yourself - no one knows what the look of the games is yet - and so far - for someone who lives in london - what locog have done encapsulates this great city of ours.

we all look forward to greeting you in 2012!

Vengeance is a bitch.

Remember, Britain made fun of the Vancouver Olympics

By Adrian MacNair May 20, 2010 – 1:05 pm

National Post

And then they produced this.

I think I had nightmares involving these mascots long before they became the brain child of the London 2012 Olympic Organizing Committee. The one-eyed creatures, called Wenlock and Mandeville, come a close second to the hideousness of the London 2012 logo design, which if carefully reorganized, spells a rather more appropriate word.

Amazingly enough, these walking alien penis creatures are marketed toward children, hoping to raise £15 million in merchandising these frighteningly ugly mascots in toy form. Yes, you can bring the joy of the 2012 London Olympic Games into your home by purchasing Wenlock, the one-eyed mascot that walks erect.

Just how did such a terrible marketing idea come to fruition anyway? For that answer, you’d have to ask former Childrens’ Laureate Michael Morpurgo, who came up with the concept of the mascots being fashioned from two drops of molten steel. Just reading that made me shudder involuntarily.

London 2012 believes the key to meeting their commercial target is to develop a storyline for Wenlock and Mandeville to market to pre-teens against top brands like Dr.Who. The Organizers say the figures are derivative of Pokemon and lava lamps, and are intended to appeal to a new age of “digital children.”

You see, the Cyclops eyes are supposed to be lenses, and in the animated film that will feature these two characters… well, I’m not really going to explain it to you because quite frankly it bored me just reading it and I’ll save you four minutes of your life you can never get back.

Of the other suggestions that organizers rejected in favour of the Johnson twins, were tea-pots, pigeons, lions, and even the Big Ben clock with arms and legs. But in the end they settled on the design because it’s “flexible” [yikes], and the characters have a lot of potential for linking into the “digital” motif.

But if the mascots don’t appeal to the kids, I think the vast untapped potential for merchandising sales is with the Japanese tourists.

Read more: http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2010/05/20/remember-britain-made-fun-of-the-vancouver-olympics/#ixzz0obuE2fKC

**** sake move on - yes you hate the mascot - logo etc etc - but are you still pissed off about the british press & vancouver?? mandeville and wenlock are on par with vancouver's mascots - get used to it!

**** sake move on - yes you hate the mascot - logo etc etc - but are you still pissed off about the british press & vancouver?? mandeville and wenlock are on par with vancouver's mascots - get used to it!

sorry F*CK F*CK F*CK FECK FECK AND FECK AND C U NEXT TUESDAY!

• Like 1

mandeville and wenlock are on par with vancouver's mascots - get used to it!

No they aren't. At least ours had a face. I don't know if London's hood ornaments are happy or not.

sorry F*CK F*CK F*CK FECK FECK AND FECK AND C U NEXT TUESDAY!

This comes from a 42 year old adult? Embarrassing.

Edited by nykfan845
  • Like 1

Poor Wenlock, it's stuck in the lift... There is a photo of it (I don't know if it's a he) there and Mandeville waiting for it in the doorway on the official website and they're plush mascots, which, BTW, seem to be really big. I wonder why there are no toys to buy online yet.

I wonder why there are no toys to buy online yet.

I thought I read somewhere that merchandise won't go on sale until about 5 or 6 months before the Games in 2012. They instead were going to focus on a website releasing stories to build up more anticipation with the kids.

The 2012 mascots strength is the background story and animation. I would totaly get rid of those life size costumes. The first time I saw them they look giant vibrator. Most of the world end up judging the mascots because of the costume. I think in the end the kids will like them. Has anyone tried to photoshop a second eye to the mascots. I'm was wondering what they look like with two eyes.

Between Lisa and the Logo, and the aliens for the mascots, I wonder how long before The Simpsons itself does some sly dig at the London iconography.

Shhhhh, but I have preliminary sketches of the torch...

simpsons3_243x316.jpg