London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see them in pictograms. Yes, Mandeville and Wenlock in sport pictograms.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if a bunch of adults on an Olympic forum like these mascots, it just matters what the kids think of them. So far by those measures, it seems like they have the potential for being a hit. I agree that the edited version with two eyes make them better, but their current version in animated form is actually good "as is" in my opinion. Well, at least they are good for parody material.

I have to give my hats off to London 2012 for at least making an effort in trying to contemporize certain aspects to the Games. I too, strongly dislike their logo, but will remain hopeful that the look comes together in the end (we shall see). I disliked Vancouver's logo, but really liked their "look" even if it was too busy at times in the competition background... while skeptical, it remains to be seen if London can win me over too.

Simon Pegg (of 'Spaced' and 'Shaun of the Dead' fame) likes them. He tweeted:

Love the new Olympic mascots. Modern and cool but retaining the historical sense if fun. They should have a spin off show and trading cards.

B)

Love the new Olympic mascots. Modern and cool but retaining the historical sense if fun. They should have a spin off show and trading cards.

B)

Of course he likes them. They will probably be his co-stars in Star Trek 2. :P

B)

Well, there's one person.

• 5 weeks later...

I was just looking at this page:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/gallery/2007/jun/29/endangeredspecies.conservationandendangeredspecies#/?picture=330127834&index=7

and was pondering how it would be if the mscots were based on endangered species in the UK. Would they be more accepted? This is another tactic to use to promote "green" games.

I like our mascots, as you know, but that would have been a nice idea as well - if they had decided to go a bit more conservative. If it was going to be animals the idea of using squirrels, foxes and bats would have been much more appealing than lions, horses and dragons for me.

I'm starting to like them more and more. When I see renders of them loike the one above, they're really starting to challenge Misha as my personal all-time favourite.

The renders are much better than the costumes. The costumes look like walking prophylactics. This is the same problem I had with our mascots here for Vancouver. I saw the costumed characters first and I though "What the #!@$? Then I saw the drawn versions/renderings and I liked them better.

Hopefully this cock-up will turn out to be a blessing in disguise and we'll see some better costumes!

:blink::lol:

Olympic mascot costumes to inspire children recalled because wearers cannot move in them

Olympic mascots commissioned to tour schools inspiring children to be more active have been recalled because the actors inside them can barely move.

The current costumes for Wenlock, the London 2021 mascot, and Mandeville, the Paralympic mascot, made it difficult for models to even wave an arm, let alone express the dynamic spirit of the Games.

It was hoped that outfits would enable the mascots to interact and play with children during school visits and outings.

But designers have been asked to go back to the drawing board to make Wenlock and Mandeville more flexible.

While the current costumed characters can shuffle along and occasionally able to raise an extremely slow jog, the newer designs will be able to grasp footballs and shake hands.

"The designers have been briefed to make the new batch of mascots as flexible as possible, although the mascots were never intended to be able to ride a bike or do a handstand," a spokesman for the The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) said.

The one-eyed mascots have proved popular with children who have universally acclaimed them as "cool" since their launch in May.

Link

Wenlock, the London 2021 mascot

Oh! They were more futuristic than I had thought :lol:

It's good to know the costumes will be changed. The pictures on the website are cool but the costumes are a bit strange. Remember how everyone hated them when they were launched, what people saw was not the animated video but the terrible costumes!

Exactly. I saw a leaked picture of the costumes an hour or so before I'd seen the animation and was terrified at what London had created. The costumes really are a travesty; hopefully the new ones will be more like the animated characters. As I said, a blessing in disguise hopefully.

There are two similar photos of Wenlock. One is the virtual mascot and the other one is the real mascot.

thumbnail_8.jpg

c-image-2-151720815.jpg

Clear differences I can tell: the fact that the virtual Wenlock shines is cool, I know it must be difficult to create a shining costume that looks OK, though. But there is another difference I find important too. The shape of Wenlock's eye (and the lack of a mouth) makes it look as if it's always angry, this does not happen in Mandeville. On the second photo, it seems that Wenlock has come to invade the planet. The virtual Wenlock can move its eye so that its expression can change a bit. For example, on the picture where it's playing football, it doesn't look angry. If there was a way to make the costume look friendlier, I think it would improve a lot.

Also, the costumes are full of bulges! There must be a way to create smoother costumes for sure.

Archived