London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

No, Sochi is the worst ever. London is second.

Oh right, Sochi's now the worst. Definitely Sochi. It's so insignificant that I keep forgetting about it.

I added an extra eye to both mascots. They look more spaceman instead of space alien, very cute.

4630474512_74b3ca206f.jpg

Much, much better.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have a new hobbie. Adding extra eyes to the mascots.

4630651255_9cbb01b11e.jpg4630651845_b5a2d18453.jpg

Should start producing counterfeit pins with two-eyeballed mascots - they'll be more popular than the official pins! :lol:

Wenlock and Mandeville might have the love of school children but...

The "but" is entirely irrelevent. :lol:

That's like saying "This Jaguar might be loved by 50 somethings who play golf but...what do women in their mid-20s think" or "This Chelsea shirt seems to be loved by Chelsea fans but...what do Spurs fans think"

The article essentially says "these mascots seem to have been a hit with their target audience, but..."

I'm fine with that, it just seems a bizarre way to start an article about characters invented for school children.

LOL....on par? You've gotta be kidding. I'm quite sure these 2012 mascots won't be anywhere as popular as the 2010 mascots, though they will most certainly sell to a certain extent as come 2012 people will most certainly take home any sort of Olympic memorabilia when the Games spirit arrives in Britain.

London will most likely deliver an organizationally outstanding Olympics, but it has completely dropped the ball on design...it's almost as if LOCOG is trying way too hard.

Many Vancouverites and Canadians are still angry over "worst Games ever" from the British press during Day 2 of the 2010 Olympics. One word describes the situation now: karma.

yeah yeah yeah - that's just your view - the mascots have been designed for the kids - i have seen the merchandise and it looks good and will sell more than vancouver - for several reasons:

number one the UK has a bigger population than canada and therefore a bigger market to pull upon

number two the olympic games are 3 time the size othe winter games so therfore another larger market to pull on

number 3 they are going to be part of an animated kids cartoon series to be shown on bbc - so will have masive exposure to the kids market!

they are on par with the vancouver mascots (which in my view were rather pedestrian.you beleive london has dropped the ball on design - i don't ! and karma - what karma the london games will be a huge success in terms of design - oraganisation but the weather then you might be able to call karma then! just get over it and move on !

London will sell more, but whether they'll sell more as a percentage of merchandising targets set up by the organising committee is the question X was asking and how he was measuring success. If Vancouver smashed their targets to the extent X was suggesting (and I've no reason to doubt him) any host would do well to match them.

I agree X is being overly negative about the prospect of these selling, but I think you've misunderstood his comparison with Vancouver slightly.

London will sell more, but whether they'll sell more as a percentage of merchandising targets set up by the organising committee is the question X was asking and how he was measuring success. If Vancouver smashed their targets to the extent X was suggesting (and I've no reason to doubt him) any host would do well to match them.

I agree X is being overly negative about the prospect of these selling, but I think you've misunderstood his comparison with Vancouver slightly.

ok - i stand corrected! ta for clarifying!

yeah yeah yeah - that's just your view - the mascots have been designed for the kids - i have seen the merchandise and it looks good and will sell more than vancouver - for several reasons:

number one the UK has a bigger population than canada and therefore a bigger market to pull upon

number two the olympic games are 3 time the size othe winter games so therfore another larger market to pull on

number 3 they are going to be part of an animated kids cartoon series to be shown on bbc - so will have masive exposure to the kids market!

they are on par with the vancouver mascots (which in my view were rather pedestrian.you beleive london has dropped the ball on design - i don't ! and karma - what karma the london games will be a huge success in terms of design - oraganisation but the weather then you might be able to call karma then! just get over it and move on !

LOL...NO REALLY, the Summer Games in a larger country won't sell more?

Many have said they are hideous things...but holy, what a difference an additional eyeball makes. From the logo to the mascots...people will buy this stuff simply because it has London 2012 labeled on it.

I'm calling for karma over the same bad press the British gave to Vancouver, not ill will to the actual organization or even hope for poor weather during the Games (though I do think we'll be seeing some rain and thunder).

LOL...NO REALLY, the Summer Games in a larger country won't sell more?

Many have said they are hideous things...but holy, what a difference an additional eyeball makes. From the logo to the mascots...people will buy this stuff simply because it has London 2012 labeled on it.

And plenty will buy it because they like it also. Despite what parts of your press may say (under tiresome but rather funny headlines like "Remember how Britain made fun of us?"), the reaction has been mixed and pretty polarised. They seem to be the marmite mascots with people either loving or hating them. The reaction has, by no means, been mainly negative.

And plenty will buy it because they like it also. Despite what parts of your press may say (under tiresome but rather funny headlines like "Remember how Britain made fun of us?"), the reaction has been mixed and pretty polarised. They seem to be the marmite mascots with people either loving or hating them. The reaction has, by no means, been mainly negative.

Franly, Rob, you'll praise just about anything having to do with London 2012. Your pride is wrapped up in it. So no matter how bad or awful the logo is, or how hideous looking the mascots are, or how bad the look of the games turns out to be (because I know you'll just say it hasn't been created yet, but I think we all have a pretty good idea judging by T-shirts, the website, and so on), you'll say it's great. The only thing LOCOG has gotten right so far in this arena is the pictograms.

Oh and I forgot to mention that hideous tower that's going to be a total eye sore in the middle of a beautiful Olympic Park (even though the Aquatics venue that had promise has turned into Frankenstein also).

Franly, Rob, you'll praise just about anything having to do with London 2012. Your pride is wrapped up in it. So no matter how bad or awful the logo is, or how hideous looking the mascots are, or how bad the look of the games turns out to be (because I know you'll just say it hasn't been created yet, but I think we all have a pretty good idea judging by T-shirts, the website, and so on), you'll say it's great. The only thing LOCOG has gotten right so far in this arena is the pictograms.

**** off mate. Really, just **** off. Your posts tonight have been pretty tirseome reading, why not have a whisky and an early night?

You might not agree with my opinion which is fine but at least allow me to have one would you? There's a good chap.

Uh, what comments have you been reading?

The mascots are being slammed left and right.

**** off mate. Really, just **** off. Your posts tonight have been pretty tirseome reading, why not have a whisky and an early night?

You might not agree with my opinion which is fine but at least allow me to have one would you? There's a good chap.

Rob, it's true. Michelle said it too. You can have your opinion if you want. I never said you couldn't. I don't care. But LOCOG could fart the look of the games out their ass and your response would be "It's great and smells good! I like it!"

You never said I couldn't have an opinion? Well, how good of you. But by saying I just say everything's positive without evaluating it is as goos as saying my opinion is worthless.

My first response on seeing the mascots was not positive if you look back through the thread (because I saw the horrible costumes in some leaked pictures before I saw the neat animation). My opinion on a lot of things is more positive than some and perhaps in some cases goes against the majority, but that doesn't make it any less valid.

I don't care what you "think" is true. I've asked you to take my opinion at face value or **** off. Which is it to be?

Uh, what comments have you been reading?

The mascots are being slammed left and right.

Comments on various internet forums, comments on blogs, comments from all over really. They've been mixed in their responses. Some people have slammed them as you said, others have loved them.

I think it is true that overseas the mainstream reactions have been negative. For two reasons:

1) Nearly ALL the TV and press coverage has usd the pics of the guys in suits. The video, or even the animation stills, are almost totally ignored. It's probably only keen ones like us outside the UK who are looking at the animation versions; and

2) Dissing a mascot is an EASY story. It's not an important story, it slots into the quirky events of the day category, and whatever the mascots are, they're easy to slam. There would have been heaps of over-the-top ridicule too if LOCOG had gone with a Beatrix Potter-esque badger or a Hana-Barbera-type Bulldog.

The reaction has not been mainly negative? Surely, national pride (and understandably) is impairing you.

Well put Rols; that just about sums it up for me as well.

Reaction amongst people in general has been better than fairly predictable press reaction. And reaction amongst children better still.

And reaction to the guys in the suits has been pretty damn negative (a reaction - shock horror - I agree with OTO), whilst reaction to the cartoon has been far, far better.

The reaction has not been mainly negative? Surely, national pride (and understandably) is impairing you.

I think you've been reading too many of your Canadian rags which, by your own admission, are on something of a quest for revenge or some sort of balance in karma points. :P

See my points above as to how I've read the reactions so far.

Fair enough, I was just pulling your leg a little. But as I said above, I think reactions I've actually heard and read from individuals have been better than the universal negativity that has pervaded the press. And Roltel's explanation for this difference seems to make sense.

Fair enough, I was just pulling your leg a little. But as I said above, I think reactions I've actually heard and read from individuals have been better than the universal negativity that has pervaded the press. And Roltel's explanation for this difference seems to make sense.

Honestly, I have seen very positive remarks from whichever blogs I have read, so this surprises me.

Archived