London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

**** sake move on - yes you hate the mascot - logo etc etc - but are you still pissed off about the british press & vancouver?? mandeville and wenlock are on par with vancouver's mascots - get used to it!

sorry F*CK F*CK F*CK FECK FECK AND FECK AND C U NEXT TUESDAY!

LOL....on par? You've gotta be kidding. I'm quite sure these 2012 mascots won't be anywhere as popular as the 2010 mascots, though they will most certainly sell to a certain extent as come 2012 people will most certainly take home any sort of Olympic memorabilia when the Games spirit arrives in Britain.

London will most likely deliver an organizationally outstanding Olympics, but it has completely dropped the ball on design...it's almost as if LOCOG is trying way too hard.

Many Vancouverites and Canadians are still angry over "worst Games ever" from the British press during Day 2 of the 2010 Olympics. One word describes the situation now: karma.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And London has certainly started a hideous design trend that has continued on to the Sochi 2014 Olympics, starting with their hideous and bland logo. It's a logo, not a brand. Sometimes it's best to stay with tradition.

I thought I read somewhere that merchandise won't go on sale until about 5 or 6 months before the Games in 2012.

:blink: They will not earn much money that way. The website releasing stories is nice but merchandising was supposed to be very important too. If they only want to sell stuff in 2012 they will be ones who lose out. And why would they make soft toys if they aren't going to be sold yet? To show them on the website?

And London has certainly started a hideous design trend that has continued on to the Sochi 2014 Olympics, starting with their hideous and bland logo. It's a logo, not a brand. Sometimes it's best to stay with tradition.

Both of which are better than Vancouver's logo in my opinion which was a pale imitation of what Barcelona, Sydney and Beijing managed.

Design is subjective. On the other hand, as I've already said, I loved your mascots and "look" of the Games.

Many Vancouverites and Canadians are still angry over "worst Games ever" from the British press during Day 2 of the 2010 Olympics. One word describes the situation now: karma.

Yeah, if you're going to be a dick about it x. I thought you were slightly more intelligent than to muddle up our press with our general consensus on your Games, which was positive.

That's not to say I don't love some of the photoshop jobs you've been posting here and on SSP. I liked the TFL poster you put on that forum:

ohchrist.jpg

They will not earn much money that way. The website releasing stories is nice but merchandising was supposed to be very important too. If they only want to sell stuff in 2012 they will be ones who lose out. And why would they make soft toys if they aren't going to be sold yet? To show them on the website?

Athan, I don't know where Soaring read that, but what I've heard is the mascot range will be launched in a month or two.

Thanks, this was spotted earlier. :) I think people were asking when the full range (and the soft toys) came out rather than the limited range added on launch day.

According to the Telegraph:

The mascots will soon be ubiquitous, with merchandise going on sale in July to mark two years to the London 2012 opening ceremony.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/london2012/7741352/London-2012-Olympic-mascots-Wenlock-and-Mandeville-unveiled.html

London's logo is still a fractured, fractal blah compared to Ilanaaq...which is one of the stupidest logos ever approved. I mean that was straight out of Stone Dummy Logos for Dummies 101.

Vanc's trio of mascots were OK, very traditional; and Mandible and Wedlock are cutting edge-cute. Obviously, London isn't going for warm and fuzzy in its overall branding.

I mean that was straight out of Penis Dummy mascot for Dummies 101.

London's logo is still a fractured, fractal blah compared to Ilanaaq...which is one of the stupidest logos ever approved. I mean that was straight out of Stone Dummy Logos for Dummies 101.

Vanc's trio of mascots were OK, very traditional; and Mandible and Wedlock are cutting edge-cute. Obviously, London isn't going for warm and fuzzy in its overall branding.

This will make an amazing float for the London Pride parade.

ept_sports_oly_experts-669697041-1274300145.jpg?ymyrdKDDJZ2HkrHS

Both of which are better than Vancouver's logo in my opinion which was a pale imitation of what Barcelona, Sydney and Beijing managed.

Design is subjective. On the other hand, as I've already said, I loved your mascots and "look" of the Games.

I was actually horrified by the 2010 logo when it was first unveiled at Canada Hockey Place/GM Place...it was absolutely dreadful, and while I've become accustomed to it (not like) ever since I still wish we had chosen something else.

Now London's logo on the other hand most certainly gets the big red rubber stamp for worst logo ever...absolutely dreadful...and what an appropriate poster for it:

www.etre.com_images_blog_london2012shit.jpg

Yeah, if you're going to be a dick about it x. I thought you were slightly more intelligent than to muddle up our press with our general consensus on your Games, which was positive.

That's not to say I don't love some of the photoshop jobs you've been posting here and on SSP. I liked the TFL poster you put on that forum:

ohchrist.jpg

Karma is a bitch, and your media deserves it. Feel free to have your media implode within the Isles, but we certainly won't forget the time when it exploded into Canada...nor will we forget the Texan journalist that compared the Vancouver 2010 Games celebratory atmosphere to that of Nazi Germany.

The London mascots will sell to a certain extent as Olympic fans and visitors will buy any sort of merchandise for 2012 keepsake.

Reaction amongst kids to these two has been great so far. When the cartoon was shown to a hall full of school kids it got a great reception apparently, and the BBC will be using these characters in a children's cartoon, continuing the story started on the London 2012 website. Once they become known amongst kids they'll latch on to them. I think these will be much more successful than you think because of this strategy by LOCOG and the BBC working together. Maybe not as successful as Vancouver's, but they'll certainly be bought by more people than just fans and visitors who'll "buy any sort of merchandise".

I added an extra eye to both mascots. They look more spaceman instead of space alien, very cute.

4630474512_74b3ca206f.jpg

I have to say, that looks a lot better.

But I think they should've used Ali G as the mascot, probably would've been cheaper to hire Sacha Baron Cohen:

AliG.jpg

"Respect!"

Now London's logo on the other hand most certainly gets the big red rubber stamp for worst logo ever...absolutely dreadful...and what an appropriate poster for it:

No, Sochi is the worst ever. London is second.

I added an extra eye to both mascots. They look more spaceman instead of space alien, very cute.

4630474512_74b3ca206f.jpg

They're still two hideous, claw handed, feat-less bizarre things.

Archived