London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

Love them, and love they've given them names that actually mean not just something, but pretty much everything to the Olympic and Paralympic movement in Britain.

My only concern would be they might work better in the virtual world than in the real world, but that's also a good thing in the days of viral marketing.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made no bones about the dislike I have for the logo (esp. day-glo version), but I really like the mascots. They are simplistic in some ways, but they've almost established their identity from day one. I'll watch the animated series, hoping it's not aimed at the 0-5yrs audience lol

I like the chrome design better, I see CNN have gone with the Union Jack outfit. This was the saving grace as background for the dreadful logo, but in the mascot's case, I prefer the chrome style. As shown on the BBC 'One Show'

So Wenlock's the gal (in fuschia) for all those faggy Olympians...and Mandeville's DA GUY (blue!!) :lol: for the butch Paralympians!! Yeah!!

OK, I can see the medals now...made from steel, pewter and coal, in the shape of wheels, washers and ball bearings! The Techno-Industrial Age is upon us!!

Love them, and love they've given them names that actually mean not just something, but pretty much everything to the Olympic and Paralympic movement in Britain.

My only concern would be they might work better in the virtual world than in the real world, but that's also a good thing in the days of viral marketing.

Well, if the difference between the beautiful cartoon and the horrific men in costumes are anything to go by you might be right.

I think they should be alright as toys though as they sort of remind me of films like Monsters Inc. which are always successful when it comes to merchandising.

Have we had the 'my 6 year old could do better' comment on the BBC blog. We have some really talented 6 year olds in this country, they are only held back due to the fact their parents are stupid twats with nothing better to do with their time than moan on blogs

Yeah.../\ that's clever!

Overall, they're really not bad. And in time, I think people and kids will take to them. I already kinda like them. And their pink-blue colors are fine. Please, LOCOG, do not fiddle with the colors anymore!!

OK, the running track at Oly Stadium will be rainbow-colored!! :lol::lol:

Critics really have to chill. They clearly don't understand what these games stand for. The Mascots have hardly started their job to promote the games yet with advertising and so on and they shove loads of harsh comments in their faces as if they're desperate to brand the Mascots in a negative way.

Ignoring the modern design, the Mascots were named and created through traditional ideas e.g. paying homage to the tradition of British Industrial work being the steel building the Stadium.

Adults have to realize that the Mascots are to target children. The only thing children see out of them is how they look and what they do, the adults look into their meaning - being the names, the taxicab headlights, and the meaning of their creation - which all relate to British tradition.

Had to get that off my chest lol :lol: Big-heade "Critics" make me so angry.

Critics really have to chill. They clearly don't understand what these games stand for. The Mascots have hardly started their job to promote the games yet with advertising and so on and they shove loads of harsh comments in their faces as if they're desperate to brand the Mascots in a negative way.

Ignoring the modern design, the Mascots were named and created through traditional ideas e.g. paying homage to the tradition of British Industrial work being the steel building the Stadium.

Adults have to realize that the Mascots are to target children. The only thing children see out of them is how they look and what they do, the adults look into their meaning - being the names, the taxicab headlights, and the meaning of their creation - which all relate to British tradition.

The kids may love them but their parents keep hold of the wallets. Kids' reactions + £££ in LOCOG's coffers will the the ultimate judge, not the press.

Archived