London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

This is very confusing :wacko:

What I have understood is that the two mascots are related, not like Beijing's Fuwa that had nothing to do with the Paralympic mascot, Fu Niu Lele. But what they mean by "crafted from 2 drips of steel" is that the mascots aren't even "alive"? Are they only a piece of steel?

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The desire for the mascots to appeal to children is underlined by the decision for their story to be penned by Mopurgo, the author of the Gentle Giant.

Coe said: "It's a lovely story.

"They are crafted from two drops of steel from a girder that is currently in the Olympic Stadium."

I would imagine that the animation will see someone working on welding the stadium girders, two drops of molten steel will drop to the ground and the mascots will morph into living creatures from them.

I don't think they're literally made from steel Athan.

That's my guess anyway.

I think thats right. I see them being creatures that are kind of like mercury, bit more organic in shape than solid steel. Only time will tell. I like the fact that as with the olympic and paralympic logos they are linked, thats very nice

I'd also like to think that they are mercury (or liquid) in form, but mutate some kind of colour scheme when they morph into living creatures rather than remaining steel coloured!

Dave, I think we're thinking along similar lines here after that interview with Seb Coe. Great minds and all that... :lol:

Most definately. I keep checking the 2012 shop just in case they make a mistake and some mascot merchandise pops up LOL.

This chap wrote War Horse as well by all accounts, that looks amazing, I really want to see that but I dont know his work, they are calling him one of this countrys treasures.

But I do wonder which came first, the mascot story or the mascot look.

I'd also like to think that they are mercury (or liquid) in form, :

That's kinda toxic if the mascots are going to be made of mercury. I mean the kids will die in a few months' time. What abomination is this!! First, the UK self-destructs its WC bids; and then Coe releases mascots made of mercury!! WTF??? :blink: Where is Michelle when u need her???

The kids that have survived the Eplieptic fits caused by the logo film and the mercury sculpted mascots will be recruited by Team GB to compete in the Games themselves. Survival of the fittest and all that.

And I guess the training camps will be Chernobyl, 3 Mile Island and the bay off New Orleans. :(

So it will be made from two drops of steel? Well that doesnt mean it will be made completly of mercury and/or steal. But i can see them looking a bit alien-like. So it will not be something which screams UK. Aw well, as long as they make it appealing for children, i guess they can get nice sells. Anyway, i'm still rather negative about the mascot but i like the idea of choosing Mopurgo to make a story about them (i wonder why they didnt picked Ringo to read the story like on his old days at Thomas and Friends :lol: )

I find it interesting they have told us the man entrusted with creating the story but they are tight lipped on the illustrator that created the actual mascot.

And I hope people keep an open mind on what is shown later as the mascot.

A fox dressed as a beefeater called Winston and talking about the apples and pears while doing the Lambeth Walk, would have been such a bad idea.

I find it interesting they have told us the man entrusted with creating the story but they are tight lipped on the illustrator that created the actual mascot.

And I hope people keep an open mind on what is shown later as the mascot.

A fox dressed as a beefeater called Winston and talking about the apples and pears while doing the Lambeth Walk, would have been such a bad idea.

not as bad as a lump of steel dressed as a beefeater called Winston and talking about the apples and pears while doing the Lambeth Walk, would have been such a bad idea.

While we wait....

izzy_376081s.jpg

Izzy (Atlanta Olympics)

The bar was set exceptionally low in 1996 by 'Izzy', the Atlanta Olympics mascot. Originally know as 'Whatizit', Izzy was the first attempt at a computer-generated mascot. But the tear-shaped blob was the subject of much ridicule and will surely be remembered as the worst mascot in history - as long as the London 2012 organisers don't mess up tonight.

burnie_376082s.jpg

Burnie (Miami Heat)

Perhaps sport's unluckiest mascot, Miami Heat's 'Burnie' was hit by a $1m lawsuit in 1994 after pulling a female fan on to the court during an exhibition match. Unfortunately for Burnie, it urned out she was married to the local Supreme Court judge and sued him for the resulting bruises and emotional distress.

cyrilswan_376096s.jpg

Cyril (Swansea City)

Nicknamed the 'Sadistic Swan', Swansea's Cyril is one of the most notorious mascots in English football. His jaded past includes fines, pitch invasions, and a string of bans for violent conduct.

stanford-tree_376094s.jpg

Stanford Tree (Stanford University)

Following a string of controversial mascot themes, Stanford University have settled with the Stanford Tree - an odd, Christmas-esque figure that looks as if it was made for a school play.

monkeymayor_376062s.jpg

H'Angus (Hartlepool United)

H'Angus, aka Stuart Drummond, was elected mayor of Hartlepool in 2002 clad in the monkey mascot outfit of the local football club.

sdchicken_376102s.jpg

The Chicken (San Diego Padres)

In 1991 a cheerleader was awarded more than $300,000 in damages when the San Diego Padres' Chicken rolled around on the floor with her, allegedly injuring her in the process.

wolfie_376099s.jpg

Wolfie (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

In an act of mascot pantomime, Wolves' Wolfie got involved in a fight with Bristol City's three little pigs.

racing-sausages_376141s.jpg

The Sausages (The Milwaukee Brewers)

While stadium food is something of a highlight when attending an American sporting event, you wouldn't expect to see it running around the pitch. Baseball team The Milwaukee Brewers have made this fantasy a reality with their meat themed mascots, each based on a type of sausage on sale in the stadium - bratwurst, Polish sausage, Italian sausage, hot dog and chorizo.

olga-the-foxjpg_376142s.jpg

Olga (Carlisle United)

Aside from being a particularly ugly depiction of a fox, it would seem Carlisle United's 'Olga' is both a mascot and a taxidermist - she is often seen running onto the pitch holding a stuffed fox.

greengiant_376143s.jpg

Jolly Green Giant (Yeovil Town)

While mascots are suppose to be fun and entertaining for children, Yeovil's Jolly Green Giant is a bizarre, and slightly haunting figure.

Archived