London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

I hope they give over the whole programme to an Olympics special. If they go from the launch of the mascot to how some old dear is upset because she cant get Butterscotch Angel Delight anymore at her corner shop or how flat caps are getting more popular again, I will go mad.

That programme is rather random at times with its leaps of subjects. An Olympic mascot deserves a big launch and fanfare.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we launched in March, more than one million of you have registered your interest in London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic ticketing!

96 per cent of registrations have come from UK residents, with 32 per cent of those coming from Greater London.

We’re excited to announce that tomorrow we will be introducing our Olympic and Paralympic mascots to the world.

We'd like to offer you a little preview of their story... You can tune in to the One Show tomorrow, Wednesday 19 May, on BBC One from 7pm BST, to see their launch film.

You'll then be able to meet them and see the full version of the film online at www.london2012.com/mascots from 7:30pm BST.

Make sure you tune in tomorrow evening to meet the mascots for the first time!

You can also be among the first to buy our limited edition mascot range, on sale at the London 2012 online shop from Wednesday 19 May at 7:30pm BST.

Thats the email

1 for each, 1 olympic, one Paralympic

I just dont see how it can be designed, films made, launch material created, products, designed, developed and produced and they can keep all of that secret. Its very well done, maddening, but well done

:blink:

What are they supposed to be exactly? I can see the complaints rolling in if they're the official Mascots. I don't think they're that bad, they're cute i guess, but way more thought could have gone into them.

London 2012 Olympics: mascot to contain important message about image of Games

The London 2012 Olympic Games mascot will be unveiled at 7pm on Wednesday and with it will come an important message about the image the Games want to portray on the world scene.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/london2012/7737716/London-2012-Olympics-mascot-to-contain-important-message-about-image-of-Games.html

taichi has asked me to announce: I can hardly wait to see the mascot. B)

First thing I thought of, even before I saw your post!

;)

It's gonna contain an important message about the games eh? In other words, it's gonna be something inspired by getting "Yoof" off their arses and participating in sport. Gonna be interesting to see how that is encapsulated in a mascot.

It's gonna contain an important message about the games.

thats what they said about the Logo.

Actually, having just read Mike Lee's book on the bid, I'm starting to appreciate a lot more how the whole project from bid through to now with LOCOG has stuck pretty strongly with the script of the games being based on engaging the kids of the Nintendo generation with sport. I've even gained a more sympathetic appreciation of the logo in that light. Indeed, in hindsight, I don't think London 2012 has ever really strayed off that message.

I'm really intrigued now to see how they think a mascot is also going to fit in with that strategy.

I'm disappointed that it will be a single mascot and not an animal (such as a badger). I guess I have to find out tomorrow what the mascot will be like.

Mascot Update

Lord Coe was on BBC Breakfast, this was all he would say:

• Its aimed at children and is about re-engaging them with sport

• There are 2, One Olympic one Paralympic

• Its grounded in our history of the Olympics and mentioned the facet the Paralympics started in Stoke Manderville Hospital in the UK

This is where it got complicated. Apparently they appear in a story written by Micheal Morcodo and the mascots are crafted from 2 drips of steel that are girders in the Olympic Stadium

Archived