London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasnt suggesting the ones on view were submitted, they were part of the brain storming process. I dont know what the final design they submitted was. I just think its interesting to see what peoples interpritation of the brief was.

But mascots are all about selling cute merchandise to kids? I like the London 2012 logo but think this may be a mistake.

That's what I think. Theres no purpose for them except as plush toys or collectable figures. I just hope they don't try to be too clever and edgy by half for the point of it - and then miss the main point.

But mascots are all about selling cute merchandise to kids? I like the London 2012 logo but think this may be a mistake.

Lol have you seen some of today's popular cartoons?

What cute to kids isn't always cute to everyone else, let alone are they always based off animals.

Hmmm, it would be interesting to see what entry did Aardman put for the mascot contest. I'm not a big fan of Wallace & Gromitt although i loved Chicken Run back then (they also did a CGI movie, which was Flushed Away, without using the clay animation). Besides, they're very popular in U.K.

Not being cute doesnt means it would be bad. But when they're start to say stuff like ''it will be polemic like the logo'' i cant help but worry o.o. Also, they should aim for something more or less likeable for kids, or else i sense a huge merchandising fail.

I really do think that this is one area of Olympic Design that you must follow the Keep it simple approach. They are at the end of the day, supposed to be cuddly figures easily reproduced in plush, for kids to have under their doonas.

The best selling mascots have always followed that, Misha being a perfect example. Italy 90 was probably trying to be modern, new and cutting edge with their stickfigure man - it just doesnt work.

Not being cute doesnt means it would be bad. But when they're start to say stuff like ''it will be polemic like the logo'' i cant help but worry o.o.

That's it, it's a bit worrying. Of course the mascot doesn't need to be cute, but it does need to be friendly. We don't want the figurestick man from Italy 90 mattygs said.

Anyway, I got the feeling that it will be a nice design.

The mascot is more that just a kids toy, it is something people will have on there desks at work and taxi and bus drivers will have in the window of there cabs , its an emblem for the 2012 Olympics,

So lets hop its good.

Let's hope... I'd like to buy a plush mascot so that my Beijing's Fuwa have a British friend :P

London's mascot mystery

London 2012's best-kept secret – apart from how much it will cost – will be revealed on Wednesday, when we will know the name and design of the Olympic mascot. There have been no leaks from HQ and nothing could be prised from the lips of Seb Coe and Co last week, not even if it is animal, vegetable or mineral. Though our suggestion of Percy the Pigeon at least raised a smile.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/inside-lines-a-good-guy-becomes-sport-minister-but-cameron-misses-trick-1974554.html

Italy 90 was probably trying to be modern, new and cutting edge with their stickfigure man - it just doesnt work.

Well, it worked on me. :) Maybe was too ahead of its time to be appreciated but still better that some boring puppet.

3961740609_c16aa48fe7.jpg

i found these, and thought they look sooo interesting and cute. their pattern matches the logo, now these in contrast looks so nice

i found these, and thought they look sooo interesting and cute. their pattern matches the logo, now these in contrast looks so nice

thats a birdy, squirrel, chipmunk, racoon, and fox? id be happy if those were the real ones

thats a birdy, squirrel, chipmunk, racoon, and fox? id be happy if those were the real ones

They look like a copy of Beijing 2008 Fuwas

200738114418546.jpg

More than a million people on the London 2012 database will be receiving emails very soon telling them about the next landmark in the Olympic story. This time it's not about tickets or venues: rather, it's about what will have one of its manifestations as a cuddly toy. Yes, the mascots are going to be unveiled later this week.

With due respect to the seriousness with which this week's launch is being handled, mascots should be more about the fun side of London 2012. I was of a generation that recognised determined-looking lion World Cup Willie as a lasting image of 1966; and Zakumi, allegedly a leopard, will shortly be unavoidable as the symbol of South Africa 2010.

Willie was a pioneer for major sporting events, and the Olympics rapidly followed the way of football. By the time we got to Beijing in 2008 there was a whole family of the critters, one of the more surreal moments of the Games coming at the diving where the bursts of music in-between the competitors were accompanied by demented poolside dancing from the mascots.

But we should not mock. Mascots provoke debate, and ours is about to begin. I should say that the mascot is chosen by the London organising committee - Locog - and this is an area they alone run.

The BBC, however, will be telling the story of the launch, and you can expect to learn about how the mascot came into being on our radio programmes on Wednesday morning, followed by what should be the first sighting of the mascot on "The One Show" on Wednesday at 7pm. I'll make sure we post something here too.

It's now too late now to affect the design, but feel free to add any thoughts at this stage. What do you think the measure of success should be? There's speculation about the names and, although the die seems to be cast, let us know if there's anything you love or hate.

I think we can safely say they won't be known as Miga, Quatchi or Sumi since they were the guys in Vancouver; but that still leaves an infinite number of other choices.

We will find out what the organisers went with in less than 48 hours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/rogermosey/2010/05/mascots_set_to_provoke_debate.html

In about 30 hours, we will get to know the mascot!

Interesting time for unveiling it. If the show is to start at 7 pm London time, and if the unveiling was a bit delayed, here in Spain we would be able to see the mascot at about 20:12 CET :P

Archived