London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

That's promising and I guess that means some BBC Execs have seen and approved it. If it were too weird or polarising I don't think the Beeb would want to get involved with it in this way.

Well, BBC execs were apparently quite ok with cartoon Graham Norton appearing in the rather climatic ending of last week's Doctor Who episode XD

But I'm with you on that, Rob, if BBC thinks the mascot has enough appeal to have its own tv show, I guess it's something quite nice! :D

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Izzy from the Atlanta games have his (or it's) own cartoon too? I know it had a theme park ride at Busch Gardens in Virginia (where I happen to work)

Didn't Izzy from the Atlanta games have his (or it's) own cartoon too? I know it had a theme park ride at Busch Gardens in Virginia (where I happen to work)

I believe the Barcelona mascot had a tv show as well. Remember reading about it a while ago when looking up info on the games in wikipedia.

Yes, Izzy and family had a "Quest for Gold" 1/2 hour TV show (and actually played on TBS). As a matter of fact, I had played it last week on my annual secret allegiance ceremony to the memory of the most maligned mascot of all time-- the Super-Cute IZZY!! :lol:

Izzy, most inappropriate mascot ever! They could have gone with a native animal, a mythical creature or even just two kids, black and white, boy and girl, showcasing the racial harmony Atlanta had now become. Heck even a mascot based on ancient Greek runners or statues would have been more appropriate.

London 2012: Olympic organisers to cull 'cute animal' trend as mascot

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/london2012/7673396/London-2012-Olympic-organisers-to-cull-cute-animal-trend-as-mascot.html

London's Olympic Games 2012 mascot will be comprised of a design reflecting a story, defying the usual trend of using a cute animal to boost merchandise sales.

The mascot, which has been officially approved by the International Olympic Committee will be released later this month and memorabilia featuring the mascot design - said to be as controversial as the logo - will be available immediately after the launch.

Locog hopes to raise more than £70 million in merchandise and licensing sales and has already released collectables of the logo-inspired pin badges of tea pots, buses, London markets and even the weather.

London 2012 announced last month that more than one million people have signed up for tickets to the 2012 Olympics and Paralympics.

Online registrations - at http://www.tickets.london2012.com - for the eight million tickets opened in March. Tickets go on sale via an application process in spring 2011 but prices have yet to be revealed.

I have a bad feeling about this..XD

The article Ikarus360 posted seems a bit contradictory: how can it be a cute animal and a controversial mascot at the same time? :wacko:

At least, it still looks like it will be a single mascot. But with the logo that was chosen, the mascot might be strange too so that it will go with it.

how can it be a cute animal and a controversial mascot at the same time? :wacko:

Oops! Sorry. I have just re-read the article and I have realized it's not a cute mascot but quite the opposite, isn't it?

The article Ikarus360 posted seems a bit contradictory: how can it be a cute animal and a controversial mascot at the same time? :wacko:

At least, it still looks like it will be a single mascot. But with the logo that was chosen, the mascot might be strange too so that it will go with it.

Oops! Sorry. I have just re-read the article and I have realized it's not a cute mascot but quite the opposite, isn't it?

Am I right in saying a mascot has to be an animal of sorts , not just a design or inanimate object.

It looks like at some point Aardman (the people behind Wallace & Gromit) have had a brain storming session and so must have put forward a concept for the mascot. They already have animations on the BBC. Theres a few of the brainstorming concepts knocking around on the internet.

Tim Ruffles Concept

http://www.timruffle.com/illustration

11olympicsmascots.jpg

Darren Dubicki

http://darrendubicki.blogspot.com/

picture1etw.png

Archived