London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

Nice! Unveiling the mascot is taking them a lot of time.

But isn't June an unlikely date? It would be better in July as part of the 2-year countdown celebrations.

And I hope for a single mascot (one for the Olympics, one for the Paralympics). More than two, as in Beijing, is a chaos.

Yeah but the World Cup final moments are happening there and the attention inside GB will be more focused at it during that time, which would kill a lot of the impact the mascot could have (the logo was unveiled in July that time because there wasnt any WC or important sport event happening). I think unveling the mascot before June is a wise choice.

And for god sake...i hope they use a single mascot (or a couple, like Singapore). I'm tired of seeing tons of them a la Sydney/Beijing/Vancouver.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it seems that Jacques Rogge and a privileged few more IOC members have already seen the mascot, as we can read on gamesbids.com home page. And it also seems that it will be a single mascot because of quotes like "you are going to love it" or "it was very, very well received".

We will know London's mascot(s) before July 27th, so less than three months to go.

All the noises are good. It doesnt say the mascot was well received it says very, very well received. Thats gotta be good, right?

Well, this is the same IOC board that also accepted:

- Whatizit (or IZZY) the inimitalbe Centennial mascot

- the Vancouver 2010 logo

- the London 2012 logo

- the Sochi 2014 scribbling...

I'm glad that they made a single mascot this time. I was starting to grow tired ot the tons of mascots for a SOG or OWG. But it better be good. I still have bad memories from Izzy.

And dont trust much if the IOC says its awesome or something. Like baron said, they praised the London and Sochi hideous logos. They're NEVER gonna say it sucks, even if they know its true :lol:

Can't wait to see the the mascot. And seeing all the bad press Izzy gets, I guess I'm kinda relieved that I wasn't really paying attention to the olympic games till Sydney XD

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money it isn't a lion.

Given the whole marketing campaign of the Games... new Britain, focused on youth and sport, green games, edgy urban feel.... I doubt we're going to see something standard like we did in Sydney. And it most certainly wont be a lion. That is far to predictable. These Games are gaining a reputation and identity for doing things that aren't within the usual framework of the games.

It will appeal to youth, though probably not children.

Poochy from the Itchy & Scratchy show on the Simpsons?

Poochie-759139.gif

Dont think it will be a lion. Plus, Singapore 2010 already has a couple of lions (well one is a merlion or whatever). I still think it would be awesome if they pick a dragon :lol: but thats my point of view (not a big fan of unicorns sorry). An owl would be nice too.

I'm looking foward to see the Mascot(s). If it's either a badger, lion or something else, I'll be watching.

Lion: done before, Germany 2006 had a lion, England 96 and 66 did too.

Unicorn: Probably too girly.

Dragon: Probably too Chinese after Beijing.

I quite like the idea of a fox

Not to mention Manchester 2002 was feline.

And if it's a single mascot, I'm betting it won't be human - they'd always have a nod to gender equality and have a boy and a girl if they did that.

I'm hoping for a Bulldog.

Archived