London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

And about London's mascot: a design similar to Cobi (but not exactly the same idea, of course) could fit the brand. Since Barcelona 1992, mascots aren't real animals (such as Hodori, Sam or Misha) - with the exception of Sydney 2000 - so I think we shouldn't expect something like a lion dressed like a Royal Guard, for exemple, to be chosen. It could always be an abstract lion... :P

Salt Lake '02 had a good old trio of real, reliable animals: a bear (Coal), a coyote (Copper) and a snowhare (Powder).

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Salt Lake '02 had a good old trio of real, reliable animals: a bear (Coal), a coyote (Copper) and a snowhare (Powder).

I was thinking about SOG only, but you're right.

BTW, I've just realized that mascots from WOG are very similar to the previous summer Games edition's mascots. I mean Salt Lake City's trio were, in a way, similar to Sydney's; Neve and Gliz from Torino were like Athenà and Phèvos from Athens; Sumi from Vancouver 2010 looks like Nini from Beijing 2008...

BTW, I've just realized that mascots from WOG are very similar to the previous summer Games edition's mascots. I mean Salt Lake City's trio were, in a way, similar to Sydney's; Neve and Gliz from Torino were like Athenà and Phèvos from Athens; Sumi from Vancouver 2010 looks like Nini from Beijing 2008...

Well, while 1976 had a pair of double cauldron-lighters (for Innsbruck II and Montreal), 1988 saw double mascots for Calgary and then Seoul!!

• 2 weeks later...
Is it too late to bring Izzy out of retirement? His bizzare look would go great with the London 2012 logo. :lol:

I don't think so... As I've said I think Cobi would fit London's brand more than Izzy.

BTW, when are they planning to launch the online store? I thought it was going to be in autumn but I haven't heard anything yet.

I don't think so... As I've said I think Cobi would fit London's brand more than Izzy.

BTW, when are they planning to launch the online store? I thought it was going to be in autumn but I haven't heard anything yet.

Whats happening about the Mascot,

Now Iv seen the London at night pins Im feeling more optemistic.

• 4 weeks later...

bump time <(ºwº<)

Okay, if i remember right, Beijing 2008 unveiled their mascots at their 1000 days countdown. I guess London probably wont today.

I wonder whats taking them so long. Can anyone told me when was the deadline for the mascot contest? Altough i'm having a feeling that they are going to make a weird experiment for a mascot, i hope not (since the look of the games is starting to get more appealing, at least for me, they can come up with a good idea).

Anyway, just to make a little revisit, here are some of the previous sport mascots used onn sport events hold at Britain:

goliath.jpg

Goliath, mascot of Euro 1996

cg2002m2.gif

Kit, mascot of the 2002 CWG in Manchester

CHEERING_POSE_360x270.JPG

Mascot of the GB team who took part on Beijing 2008 olympics (no idea about his name)

And of course, who could forget Willie, the 1966 WC mascot

lion_heraldry_world_cup_willie_mascot_1966.jpg

To be honest, using a lion AGAIN as a mascot (altough 2002 was some kind of cat *shotdead* ) would be greatly dissapointing and not a surprise. Altough i would dislike even more that they do a weird experiment a la Izzy :lol:

They can use another british animal or creature. My personal choice would be a dragon, since its on the London coat of arms

london_city.jpg

Personally an anthro dragon as a mascot (if designed well and appealing to all audiences) would be kickass (altough there can be people which would relate the dragon with wales, and/or the St George story)

Another choice would be a team of mascots like Beijing 2008, using a team of british-related animals and/or creatures, but to be honest i dislike a great number of mascots for an event to be used, it gets kinda annoying and confusing (i think they could have done it well just using Beibei).

Oh my gosh, I never thought of it that way before, but you're right! I definitely see the ressemblence between Sumi and Nini.

cg2002m2.gif

Kit, mascot of the 2002 CWG in Manchester

I find this one really nice. It's my idea of a mascot - doesn't need to be an exact animal but at least something which looks like it. You're right, a lion again would be anything but surprising, and I'd say a lion would not only look Welsh but also Chinese and maybe scaring, when a mascot is supposed to be friendly.

So, as they won't be unveiling today the mascot, the next important day related to the Games I can think of is July 27, 2010 to mark the 2 years to go countdown.

• 4 months later...

Just thinking about Sydney and the games were held in Sept 2000. I am sure the mascots were unveiled on Australia day in 1997 so that’s about 3 and half years before the games. London is now 2 and half years away really how long does it take for them to come up with a lion design! We all know that’s what it will be so just unveil it and start selling pins and plush mascots and make some money

Hobart, I think you're onto a winner!

Pull String Duke of Edinburgh Action Figure

Share your adventures with this Pull-string Prince Philip from the famous British Royal Family. Simply pull the string on Philip's back and listen to him speak. Hear him say phrases like 'If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty-eyed', 'Do you still throw spears at each other?' and 'Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now'. He is the coolest Prince in town! Features Philip toy hunting rifle and top hat.

376a5968-1a8c-40de-8242-0b1c395c8d23.jpg

You're right, a lion again would be anything but surprising, and I'd say a lion would not only look Welsh but also Chinese and maybe scaring, when a mascot is supposed to be friendly.

A Lion wouldn't be fitting to use again. And a Lion is nowhere near Welsh-looking :L (Since i'm Welsh as it is)

Why not use legendary creatures from each Country. Wales - a Dragon (as it's on our flag) Scotland - The Loch Ness monster, N.Ireland - A Leprechaun and England - A British Bulldog (Or anything else legendary you can think of, i don't know much English legendary creatures) All they need to be is modernised a little to go with the Brand and designed to be child-friendly e.g. make them have cute eyes etc.

Something like this (Excluding the modern twist)

Nellie_De_Loch_Ness_Monster_by_MyuuTheMew.jpg

400_F_13243469_wdAwiGfaQMauaoYRrT4FXLEgwwhDyh7k.jpg

4b24d7b0f32ba.jpg

istockphoto_10424145-dog-cartoon.jpg

If the Bulldog would be a bit more yellow then you'd have four colours of the Olympic rings

Vancouver introduced their mascots in December of 2007, a full two years and a bit before the Olympics...and just in time for Christmas. I would expect that London will introduce their mascots around the 2 year mark, sometime this summer.

I've heard the Mascots will be unveiled this year between the General Election and World Cup finals - so around June :D

Nice! Unveiling the mascot is taking them a lot of time.

But isn't June an unlikely date? It would be better in July as part of the 2-year countdown celebrations.

And I hope for a single mascot (one for the Olympics, one for the Paralympics). More than two, as in Beijing, is a chaos.

Archived