London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

2581453558_506d568037_b.jpg

2562157506_61f544593c.jpg

I don’t think there is anything to fear from an open competition.

I hate to say it but the way the logo ended up suggests LOCOG didn’t know what they wanted really

And I don’t think there is any reason for people to get bees in there bonnets about it being in keeping

I think complementary is the word

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don’t think there is anything to fear from an open competition.

I hate to say it but the way the logo ended up suggests LOCOG didn’t know what they wanted really

And I don’t think there is any reason for people to get bees in there bonnets about it being in keeping

I think complementary is the word

You likely don't recall or know of the professional outrage when VANOC launched their logo contest. Design work isn't easy. And it is time consuming. That is why designers do not like contests. They are being asked to do free work and then have it judged and graded by some abstract panel. And only one person gets the "prize".

Imagine you doing whatever it is you do for a living for free and then being told that only one person out of thousands would be selected and paid as the winner?

• 3 weeks later...
You likely don't recall or know of the professional outrage when VANOC launched their logo contest. Design work isn't easy. And it is time consuming. That is why designers do not like contests. They are being asked to do free work and then have it judged and graded by some abstract panel. And only one person gets the "prize".

Imagine you doing whatever it is you do for a living for free and then being told that only one person out of thousands would be selected and paid as the winner?

I think I can imagine that , but the Olympics is a one off large event and the public need to like the designs2562157506_61f544593c.jpg

They need to like the stadium and the park and the transport as well but you wouldn't dream of not using pros for these things. I'm sorry, but Kendegra is right; designers ought to be treated like any other professionals in this process. The Olympics is a one off event for them too and they are an industry that should reap the benifits of it along with those who work in construction and archtecture etc. They shouldn't have the rug pulled out from under their feet by a public competition.

Its a difficult one. I work for an agency in the UK, we are reasonably sized with an international client base and we are in the UK's top 100 agencies, but we arnt in London and have been dismissed by clients on that fact alone. I attended the briefing for the London 2012 Bid logo competition and we were happy to enter as we would never have normally been approached as we arn't a headline grabbing agency. My boss was happy to enter as the attention we would get if we won was seen as a massive plus as well as a great honour of having that logo in our portfolio.

I will have to see if she feels the same if this competition is launched, probably not as we are a graphics agency not illustration or character based. I intend to enter off my own back though as its something Im interested in.

So what I guess Im saying is as a designer I dont like free pitches or competitions but if it means I get the chance to show my work where I would'nt get the opportunity Im happy to do it as it is as much of the love of it as the honour if you win.

I think the ideal is have an open competition open to all, get a concept as a winning entry then give it to the proffessionals to polish it.

funny thing is with this pro's vs. the Public . The 1982 commonwealth games was a national design contest by all comers .

somehow having a common touch can relate to actual sales as opposed to an abstract idea for a "designer".

Jim jones

I think the ideal is have an open competition open to all, get a concept as a winning entry then give it to the proffessionals to polish it.

So solicit ideas from the design community and general public for free, then hire a professional team to create their own design based off that and presto voila...you've got yourself a mascot?

These kinds of contests may "get your name out there" and may seem like an "honour", but they don't pay the bills of the vast majority of designers and they don't create the best results. The team that won the VANOC contest didn't see any significant up shift in their work. They didn't even win the rest of the 2010 branding work.

Sure, I have no love for the LOCOG emblem, but I didn't see many from the publicly submitted entries on the various blogs that really captured much attention either. Most were cliches, crafted without the benefit of a proper creative brief. And if the design is crap, it is ultimately the fault of the client and the creative brief, not the designer. The designer often gives guidance, but the client gives direction.

I will repeat. I would love to do it cause I have a passion for what I do, when I go home I dont switch off, Im always working and as Seb isnt gonna be knocking on my door then I would like it to be a competition so I can submit my designs.

Atheletes in this country dont get paid to go to the olympics, if they are lucky they get enough sponsorship deals and grants to not have to do a 9 to 5 job as well. That money pays for their training. Some atheletes are not that lucky and have to do a 9 to 5 and train at weekends and in the evenings, they go to the olympics for the honour of representing their counntry, I feel the same. I, not being a world renowned designer are happy to work during the day to pay the bills and at night or in the evenings work on a mascot design if they do have the competition. For me it would be an honour, frankly I dont give a **** what anyone else thinks. If you dont like the competition dont enter it.

Again they cant win can they people complain at the cost of the logo when done by a leading branding agency, people are complaining if the mascot choice comes down to a competition.

• 3 months later...

LOCOG seeks creative agency for mascot brief

LONDON - Olympic organisers are on the hunt for a creative agency to design the official mascot for the London 2012 Games.

The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) will brief the successful agency to create a character that reflects the Games' ‘Best of British' ideal.

It is set to be used on clothing, in film and animation, on gaming and digital platforms as well as in a physical form.

LOCOG seeks creative agency for mascot brief

by Matt Williams, Campaign 24-Oct-08, 11:15

LONDON - Olympic organisers are on the hunt for a creative agency to design the official mascot for the London 2012 Games.

The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) will brief the successful agency to create a character that reflects the Games' ‘Best of British' ideal.

It is set to be used on clothing, in film and animation, on gaming and digital platforms as well as in a physical form.

ADVERTISEMENT

The agency will also be expected to develop a full marketing and communications plan to support the launch of the mascot.

A separate mascot will be created for the Paralympic Games, which begins on the 29 August, three weeks after the Olympic Games close.

Chris Townsend, commercial director of LOCOG, said: "They (mascots) help set the tone for the Games and we're very excited about kicking this process off.

"Fun and games aside, the mascot programme will be a key component of our licensing plan and will be a strong revenue driver as we seek to raise the £2 billion required to stage a Games in 2012."

• 6 months later...

Designs for the official London mascot (or mascots) have apparently been whittled down to a "handful" of exciting concepts, and loveable replicas of the winning design will be in the shops next year. Bless.

The would-be mascots are currently being squeezed and cooed over by a special London 2012 committee whose task is not just to select the cutest design but to approve the all-important name (or names).

Designs for the official London mascot (or mascots) have apparently been whittled down to a "handful" of exciting concepts, and loveable replicas of the winning design will be in the shops next year. Bless.

The would-be mascots are currently being squeezed and cooed over by a special London 2012 committee whose task is not just to select the cutest design but to approve the all-important name (or names).

I'm still gunning for the magical, invisible gryphon.

Thats great! Do you know when will the official design be announced? Is it normally before the torch design or after?

• 2 months later...

Archived