London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

Are we still going to be going over the same ground in 4 years time, I hope not. Anyway back to the topic at hand.

Do we think the mascot should be a new character or characters or should it be an old friend re-introduced. ie

The Wombles - Very green credentials, lots of characters for merchandising opportunities

Wallace & Gromit - A very British duo with a worldwide fan base

Paddington Bear - A visitor from abroad, drawn to London, named after one of its stations and loving the sandwiches

Morph - A post modern plastercine icon that transforms at will, an interesting link to the transformation of the London site

Basil Brush - Boom, boom

Mary, Mongo & Midge - Im scraping the barel with this one

Danger Mouse - Although who would voice penfold

Rhubarb and custard - Great theme tune, even a child can draw them

Mr Men & the little Missus - Introducing Mr Chav, Mr how did he ever get elected Mayor, Mr logo everybody supposedly hates & Little Miss Legacy

Suggestions anyone?

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are we still going to be going over the same ground in 4 years time, I hope not. Anyway back to the topic at hand.

Do we think the mascot should be a new character or characters or should it be an old friend re-introduced. ie

The Wombles - Very green credentials, lots of characters for merchandising opportunities

Paddington Bear - A visitor from abroad, drawn to London, named after one of its stations and loving the sandwiches

Morph - A post modern plastercine icon that transforms at will, an interesting link to the transformation of the London site

Basil Brush - Boom, boom

Mr Men & the little Missus - Introducing Mr Chav, Mr how did he ever get elected Mayor, Mr logo everybody supposedly hates & Little Miss Legacy

Suggestions anyone?

Why would something as "innovative" and "edgy" and "down wit da kidz" as LOCOG ever consider re-using an old idea or something that was uniquely British?

And of course it will be an original creation. Something that will fit into their brand and work with the look, style, and character of the Games. Jagged ziz-zaggy lines and bright 80's neon colours isn't going to work with Paddington Bear.

It will also have to promote London 2012 alone and not be an infringement of copyright laws.

Basil Brush - Boom, boom

Suggestions anyone?

lgpp0127%20bungle-george-zippy-rainbow-poster.jpg

:P:P:P

Why would something as "innovative" and "edgy" and "down wit da kidz" as LOCOG ever consider re-using an old idea or something that was uniquely British?

And of course it will be an original creation. Something that will fit into their brand and work with the look, style, and character of the Games. Jagged ziz-zaggy lines and bright 80's neon colours isn't going to work with Paddington Bear.

It will also have to promote London 2012 alone and not be an infringement of copyright laws.

Thats why I asked the question. Its nice to see someone that hates the logo so much is happy to see the mascot in the same style thats very good.

Foxy the fox it is then ; )

The whole point of the mascot is that its not the logo.

What you have just described just sounds like a reworking of the logo.

You cant win on here can ya, people complain when you suggest an old character, re-invented for the games, people complain when you suggest a character that sits with the logo and branding and works with the brand. Gawd help the London 2012 organisers, they are gonna piss people off again whatever they do.

2562157506_61f544593c.jpg

2581453558_506d568037_b.jpg

Well the issue is whether people think it’s a good design, and whether its expressing more than just a shallow attempt to appeal to young people,

there is an advert on the radio today about 2012 and lowering of carbon emissions.

What will the mascot have to do with that people ask?

after all the future of the environment has very thing to do with young people ,more so than just a zig zag.

On the subject of which how about electrocuting Dick Whittington’s cat , than again what’s that got to do with the future of the planet.

Well , Dick Withington’s cat could be said to be a symbol of London ,there is a statue of it on Highgate hill

Where it heard the Bow bells , unfortunately the Bow bells that it heard aren’t at Bow in the lee valley ,but why let geography spoil a nice story. And the Bow bells are a symbol of London as well.

And if you attached solar panels to a cat it would leap in the air sticking its claws out.

Thats why I asked the question. Its nice to see someone that hates the logo so much is happy to see the mascot in the same style thats very good.

Foxy the fox it is then ; )

Because I understand the pattern language of branding. The logo is what it is and it shall inform the rest of the brand. The graphics and design surrounding the Olympics must work with the look and feel established in the emblem.

Clearly, fluid lines or traditional styles are not going to work with this emblem. They've already established a pattern inspired from 1980's MTV style pop art. And a subdued pallet of colours won't work with it either. So the completed brand package is going to be brightly coloured, jagged lined, and somewhat chaotic in style.

A cutesy teddy bear, a badger, or bobbie cartoon figure won't fit that look.

Well, that's just the way it is. The style of the logo is going to dictate the style of everything else. So what should the mascot express? It should express the London 2012 brand. And that probably means something blocky, street like, and graffiti-ish.

Right I have done this to show how easy I feel it is to create a mascot that sits with the London 2012 branding using colour, shape and pattern.

I am NOT in anyway shape or form suggesting this as a mascot, I dont think a fox is particularly right, it is just an excersese to show my thinking. Again I am NOT proposing or submitting this as a design, I am not an illustrator. This is just to show my thinking.

Introducing Foxy ; )

foxythefoxfinallo9.jpg

Well I have now done my real mascot submittion in the style of Foxy and will be submitting it should they announce a competition. I aint posting it on here though sorry peeps.

A fox is a good choice of animal ,I saw one crossing Tower Bridge, actually that’s a lie I saw it next to Tower bridge, but I wish It had been on the bridge,

The mascot need to express something of what the lee valley park is all about, nature and the out doors,and enviroment (not just blockyness)

Things the current logo is at loggerheads with.

But that’s to cartoony.

A fox is a good choice of animal ,I saw one crossing Tower Bridge, actually that’s a lie I saw it next to Tower bridge, but I wish It had been on the bridge,

The mascot need to express something of what the lee valley park is all about, nature and the out doors,and enviroment (not just blockyness)

Things the current logo is at loggerheads with.

But that’s to cartoony.

Surely the logo just has to be fun, able to be stuffed and attractive to kids. I'm not even sure it has to be British. Cobi didn't exactly scream "Spain"...otherwise they would have had a stuffed bull with castanets hanging from its horns. I would say the model not to use is the Greek dollies....they were sh1t and about as collectable as sh1t to.

Any way regardless of what style it is, it still has to be better and more popular than the logo.

Sorry to play devils advocate here because I know how annoying that can be but...does a logo really have to be popular? I'm not in love the the L2012 "smashed teacup" logo, but I have to say its instantly recognisable when its applied corporately and in its own right in promotional material like for the handover party.

I think once Bejing is out of the way the logo will be used far more and will come into its own. I can see Briitish Airways applying it to their fleet and perhaps having a whole plane done in 2012 BA livery. I can see it on the side of coke cans and bottles and on Macdonalds cartons.

The one mistake that they made was launching the logo in those dayglow colours. They should have launched it with the Union Jack or a picture infill. That pink, green and yellow highlighter-pen look is just bollox!

well, eventually, when it has the stage to itself, then THAT becomes the mark -- regardless of how ugly or nice it is. It could be a piece of drek saying "Sarajevo 2036," for example, and since it's the Official logo, it would then be imprinted in everyone's consciousness that that's what that particular year will be.

Ilanaaq still hasn't grown on me. I just don't see how a kid's interpretation of a stone idol represents a Winter Games for me. And London 2012 will always be this disparate, jumbled-up shards of broken glass. Doesn't mean I'm going out of my way to look at it. THough I may go out of my way to totally avoid any BA plane that carries it if I were to have to use BA anytime soon in the future.

A logo is either pleasing or NOT. It seems the Olympic logos of late are in the latter category.

Archived