London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

so davey in your pro opinion how does one possibly tie a mascot to that Thing they call a logo? To me it is very much impossible unless you rip off sponge bob Square Pants

in the shape of the design of one of the elements dimensionalized and had arms legs and a face added. I cannot understand why anyone would want to possibly go in that direction rebranding their company . Too me it spells chaos or something not to be taken seriously . There is really nothing redeeming about that logo from and artistic or practical communication level that translates to confidence in the olympic brand. Adn the excuse it is trying to appeal to youth is bogus. things that are x factor or youth culture do not look like that in any shape or forum .

I don't know it is quite a problem to link a mascot to that image and type of clear path. They might make these games the recycling games well see if Star Trek would lease them the Horta from the Devil in the Dark episodes from the 1960s . 200px-STDevilDark.jpg

Jim jones

I have already described earlier how easy it will be to tie the mascot to the style of the brand. Make a character more angular than rounded, use of bold colour plalette and use of the bold graphic patterns. I really cant see what the problem is. Say we use a lion for arguements sake make him more angular and sharp, colour him up bright yellow make his mane a bit more wild and angular and use a graphic pattern in the mane to make him more colourful. Bung him in a London 2012 T-shirt. Make him move move jerky in animations, I can see how they can achieve it clearly in my head. Once you have a character you can draw it in any style. Draw mickey mouse in spongebob style and he could be in the spongebob cartoon and not stand out, it's not rocket science.

The 2012 logo isnt perfect, but as a brand its very strong. I applaude them for doing something different. The thing that annoys me the most about the whole arguement, is they did something brilliant with the London logo and nobody ever mentions it, they prefer to take a dig at it. The fact that the London 2012 logo and the Paralympic logo is basically the same is a lovely and clever idea. It means there is less separation between the two events. But nobody has said you know what thats a very honourable thing. Instead they take the easy route of I dont like it. They have a logo, not to everyones taste I admit but its visually very striking as a designer I'd be happy to work with it and explore its possibilities. Still thats just my humble opinion

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in other words with this contest they are admitting there is a universial view that the Logo is terrible in most peoples minds and that it has been taken from the hands of these so called Pros and put with the public. I have always said a logo never makes a company it is a company that make a logo by putting it into peoples minds but this Logo is in peoples minds for the wrong reasons as it is very very bad .

Perhaps it is a traditional way of thinking or something but I could not see anyone liking that logo except maybe a crack addict no offence to Crack Addicts or you Davey i am not implying anything of the sort with you. I look above at the GM ad with the Vancouver 2010 logo and I know it is an inuit stone formation that is a unique symbol associated Canada. With the london 2012 WHAT is it and what does it symbolize ? Nothing. Just from an appearance point of view if they did not Tack London 2012 and the olympic rings on the "object" but rather placed the lettering separate of the object it might be a bit better. Composition in that department is totally dreadful. Right now it would be hard to read if you were to place that on a business card.

I believe the question of Copyright is really not a big deal as you volunteer you rights away as soon as you enter a contest. There is no or little value if you are a loser and of course you are going in with the stated prize or intension on the terms of the contest holder. As to the "profession" I personally think 400000 pounds for an experiment is very bad and reflexes badly on the profession in the UK . This company that designed the logo could be in antartica but the Logo is tied to London and the assumption will always be that it is a UK design. IT really sums up what Boris Johnson said when he called the OC clueless. IF you are Lord Coe or the others on committee actually say "ok fantastic I love it lets issue that cheque" then Boris is right and the actual ability of that committee one would have to question in regards to delivering an olmypics that wasn't anything but an embarassment. MAybe that is the Hidden Meaning the creators are after . If it is then it is the best logo in the history of mankind because it certainly looks like they have hit the mark LOL>

jim jones

The whole point of the London games is they are saying its everyones games, thats why it doesnt have to symbolize London. Its everyones Olympic games that happen to be held in London, Its a completely different way of looking at it.

The logo for Apple computers says nothing about what they do, if you had no idea what they did you would not guess it from the logo. But its a mark an icon that you recognise, thats what they wanted to achieve with the 2012 logo and be in in a good way or a bad way its worked.

Anyway we could argue this to death, I like it nobody else seems too, its personal taste at the end of the day aint it. And no I aint a crack addict LOL

Take a look at this and see what they have achieved with their logo. They have created a mark, a shape that instantly recognisable as the 2012 games. It gives you the freedom to do this and be all singing and dancing London if thats what needed, but in the next instace by replacing the Union Jack it tells a completely different story but is still recognisable as the 2012 games. You cant do this with the Beijing logo, its clever and different.

http://www.london2012.com/get-involved/handover/index.php

Right I have done this to show how easy I feel it is to create a mascot that sits with the London 2012 branding using colour, shape and pattern.

I am NOT in anyway shape or form suggesting this as a mascot, I dont think a fox is particularly right, it is just an excersese to show my thinking. Again I am NOT proposing or submitting this as a design, I am not an illustrator. This is just to show my thinking.

Introducing Foxy ; )

foxythefoxfinallo9.jpg

Take a look at this and see what they have achieved with their logo. They have created a mark, a shape that instantly recognisable as the 2012 games. It gives you the freedom to do this and be all singing and dancing London if thats what needed, but in the next instace by replacing the Union Jack it tells a completely different story but is still recognisable as the 2012 games. You cant do this with the Beijing logo, its clever and different.

http://www.london2012.com/get-involved/handover/index.php

And I now have a new signature....Wooooo! I saw a full page ad in the London Lite for the party with this version of the logo taking up the whole page and it really did look brilliant.

And I now have a new signature....Wooooo! I saw a full page ad in the London Lite for the party with this version of the logo taking up the whole page and it really did look brilliant.

I've registered for my tickets, should be a great day ; )

Right I have done this to show how easy I feel it is to create a mascot that sits with the London 2012 branding using colour, shape and pattern.

I am NOT in anyway shape or form suggesting this as a mascot, I dont think a fox is particularly right, it is just an excersese to show my thinking. Again I am NOT proposing or submitting this as a design, I am not an illustrator. This is just to show my thinking.

Introducing Foxy ; )

foxythefoxfinallo9.jpg

Nice! That just shows how flexible the branding is. Few other hosts could have had such a close knit relationship between their mascot and their logo if they wanted to. I mean, as good as they are (and I think they're fantastic) Vancouver's mascots have nothing in common with their Llandaq (I can't be bothered to look up the spelling, you know what I mean). You see a mascot like this and you instantly know what it's for even if you remove the Olympic rings. To be fair, I wouldn't be unhappy with Foxy or a varient on him/her!

Nice! That just shows how flexible the branding is. Few other hosts could have had such a close knit relationship between their mascot and their logo if they wanted to. I mean, as good as they are (and I think they're fantastic) Vancouver's mascots have nothing in common with their Llandaq (I can't be bothered to look up the spelling, you know what I mean). You see a mascot like this and you instantly know what it's for even if you remove the Olympic rings. To be fair, I wouldn't be unhappy with Foxy or a varient on him/her!

Ah thank you very much, If they do run a competition Im gonna submit one, spend more time on it though.

I got an email about the party with the flag logo i like it more than the fluro colours. Think there will be lots more of this changing logo colours in the next 4 years.

Foxy, that's great mascot, I really like it, daveypodmore, I really hope that you'll submit your design, although I hate London's logo, but when I see your mascot, that make London's logo look better

Thank you for your kind words, Im gonna spend some time this weekend creating a submition. Im happy with the style but dont think a fox is right

Stop boring us with regurgitated LOCOG press releases about how brilliant this brand is. It isn’t. It’s just some awkward pink bits that kinda hurt my eyes even a year later.

Why is it so much more flexible than anything else? It isn’t. As long as it is not overly complex and fits within certain parameters, that can be said of nearly any brand. Nearly every brand is flexible to a certain degree. Nearly any logo can be applied to numerous uses. LOCOG did not re-invent the idea of the brand with these bits of pink. They just created a design that is controversial because it isn't particularly attractive, is rather nondescript and meaningless to the event it represents, and is equally unpleasant for its blandness as it is for its pungency.

I'm used to it, but still find it uninspired and uninspiring.

I like using the British flag as a background for London's logo... finally something British!

Take a look at Rio's logo... Brazilian, modern, has 21st century written allover it and with colors reflect nature in just in Rio but everywhere! You can see Brazil and Rio in that logo.

London's logo, on the other hand, is the most expensive picture frame ever and you even can't find the "Made in the UK" label on it!

Archived