London 2012 Mascot Design Contest

Hi all, long time not to see you all :), I just read from gamesbids.com, they said that London MAYBE will run a design competition for their mascot, they said that based on their experience with london's logo, they will think to create an public competition for their mascot..

I hope they really will run this competition, so we can a better option that their logo :)

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all, long time not to see you all :), I just read from gamesbids.com, they said that London MAYBE will run a design competition for their mascot, they said that based on their experience with london's logo, they will think to create an public competition for their mascot..

I hope they really will run this competition, so we can a better option that their logo :)

I think u are right the mascots can be nice money makers merchandise wise and are important to the look of the games, so probably get ideas from the public then get the professionals to tidy it/them up

Well, considering London's Look and Image, or brand as they call it, seems to be pretty far in development already (compared to previous hosts, that is), I would think the mascot would have to carry off from what's already been done. Which leads me to think that it would be wise to have Wolf Olins (designers of the '2012' brand) put some input into the mascot design in addition to having a public contes t- either creating something out of a winning idea or just editing a winning design.

2562157506_61f544593c.jpg

Where talking logos and mascots here not general branding

The logo is the weakest part of the branding

I’ve only seen one treatment of the logo that worked and that was some sort of skate boarding promotion.

The shapes on there own don’t work

We cant afford to have a mascot that doesn’t work

and a competition is a good idea.

We are talking about general branding. Along with the '2012' logo, London released an entire brand - shapes, colors, fonts, etc. Previous hosts seem to have waited years after they revealed their logo to create and use a distinctive "Image and Look", a brand for their Games. And at times, that Look didn’t necessarily match the aesthetics of the original logo.

London seems to have placed a great deal of thought and care into this. I can't see them going with a mascot that is staunchly different than the rest of the 2012 brand.

2562157506_61f544593c.jpg

What I find so strange is that the Logo looks so out of place and dead on the 2012 website

Like its just been shoved in there without ant thought at all

I find the lee valley parks own website more coherent and comunative even if the colours are a bit dull

The mascot could be a Childs drawing, that would give the branding a bit human touch and life.

A competition isn't going to do anything different than what they have because it will have to fit in with the existing brand.

And remember that it is the LOCOG insiders that make the call, not the designers. They could have designed the most brilliant logo ever in the concept stages, but had it rejected by LOCOG. I think they should just let the professionals do it. It is a better process.

I think, perhaps, when they said "evolved" , they meant that the '2012' logo is adaptable and versatile enough to be used with the sponsors' brands (such as Adidas) and in different types of media. Take this entire page for example - http://www.wolffolins.com/london2012.php

I don't think it was ever suppose change shape or something...

I think, perhaps, when they said "evolved" , they meant that the '2012' logo is adaptable and versatile enough to be used with the sponsors' brands (such as Adidas) and in different types of media. Take this entire page for example - http://www.wolffolins.com/london2012.php

I don't think it was ever suppose change shape or something...

You can play with the colors of any logo and make it adaptable. I can't wait to see how the brand will be presented in the closing ceremony in Beijing.

I am still not so sure that the entire London 2012 look and brand presented now is what we will see come 2012. Remember, Athens 2004 used, for some time, a kind of *look* that echoed the olive wreath logo. They used what was esentially a magnified version of the logo in alot of their publications, on their website, on their e cards and wallpapers on their website, and as the backdrop to their press conferences.

This of course changed a few years later to the panorama which we saw in 2004.

Perhaps this will be the same for London.

The mascot will have to sit with the branding and thats very easily achieved. The 2012 branding actually gives you a lot of tools to play with to use in the design. We have a very distinct bold style, a colour pallete, patterns and shapes and a type style. Its simple If they do do a competition and lets just say for arguments sake say a Badger is chosen, making his shape more angular than soft, making his patern a very graphic pattern and even instead of black and white, change his colours, put him in a branded T-shirt and bingo a mascot that sits with the branding. It aint rocket science. 5 think it will be an open competition to decide either the mascots identity or name and then it will be given to the proffessionals to create the final version, its too important not to do it that way.

5 think it will be an open competition to decide either the mascots identity or name and then it will be given to the proffessionals to create the final version, its too important not to do it that way.

That's not a bad idea actually. That's quite a nice balance and a way of getting the public (and by that I mean mainly children) involved in the games.

As long as it doesn't turn out to be a imitation of Blue Peter's "name our new cat" competition, this could lead to some good PR for London 2012.

It wasn't so long ago that people on here were scathing of public competitions; accusing VANOC of being tight and not willing to pay for a professional design firm to come up with their logo. It's interesting that the tide has turned once again in favour of public contests.

It is interesting too that you assume a mascot designed in a public competition will automatically be popular. The winning entry is still likely to be chosen by a panel of experts, not the public. And the level of design in public competitions often falls short of what is required meaning the panel could be picking from a very average bunch indeed (what incentive would a pro design team have to design something for a lot less than they'd normally charge? The pride of their design being chosen for the London Games won't be enough for them to give up their time and money so many won't bother entering).

A public vote on the "form" and even the name of the mascot would be good but I'd rather leave the design itself to the pros if I'm honest.

Archived