Melbourne 2020

Lord David

Melbourne won the 1956 Games by only ONE vote (& that was the tie-breaker vote made by then, idiot IOC president Avery Brundage), so no one specific reason can really be given as to why Melbourne won, cuz it wouldn't be concrete. Mexico City went on to win the 1968 Games & Melbourne finished a mere 4th for the 1996 Games.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting...

In this hypothetical scenario, in addition to what has been suggested, I think Melbourne's best bet as to venues would be as follows:

(1) A new 20,000 seat centre court should be integrated into Melbourne Park (which can then be used for gymnastics). This would relegate RLA to the secondary arena at Melbourne Park, and free it up to be used for volleyball or basketball.

(2) Equestrian should be held at the iconic Flemington racecourse, which already has the horse facilities and would be preferable to Werribee as it is close to the city and has an international profile.

(3) MSAC should be used for aquatics - but expanded temporarily to 20,000 - 30,000 by putting seating on either side of the 50m pool - in like manner to Sydney or Atlanta.

(4) Cycling road events should be held along Great Ocean Road.

Interesting...

In this hypothetical scenario, in addition to what has been suggested, I think Melbourne's best bet as to venues would be as follows:

(1) A new 20,000 seat centre court should be integrated into Melbourne Park (which can then be used for gymnastics). This would relegate RLA to the secondary arena at Melbourne Park, and free it up to be used for volleyball or basketball.

(2) Equestrian should be held at the iconic Flemington racecourse, which already has the horse facilities and would be preferable to Werribee as it is close to the city and has an international profile.

(3) MSAC should be used for aquatics - but expanded temporarily to 20,000 - 30,000 by putting seating on either side of the 50m pool - in like manner to Sydney or Atlanta.

(4) Cycling road events should be held along Great Ocean Road.

Definite nood. ;) That aside...

(1) Sure, a new "Centre Court" may be nice, as you propose to be used for Gymnastics for the Games and Tennis post games. Could work, but there's already very little free area around Olympic Park as is, unless you want to build directly at the free land next to the MCG. or one of the training ovals. :unsure:

(2) Equestrian will most definitely be held at Werribee as per the 1996 bid. It doesn't matter that Werribee is of some distance from the city centre, it has world class Equestrian facilities already, and will be upgraded and used for the Olympics. Flemington race course is simply used for horse racing, just because it has facilities for horses, doesn't necessarily make it a suitable host for Equestrian, at the most it could host the Equestrian Grand Prix event.

(3) MSAC should indeed be used if possible, if the outdoor pool can be upgraded to 15,000+, then by all means, an alternative would be to build a temporary outdoor pool nearby and use the existing pool for waterpolo events. Sydney nor Atlanta had such large aquatics venues, Sydney had 17,500 seats in it's aquatic park.

(4) Road Cycling events (and time trials for that matter), will be most definitely held along streets as per the 2006 Commonwealth Games, the Great Ocean Road (though great scenery), is just too far away from the city centre, the simple closure of the course roads in the city would suffice.

If Melbourne wants a 20,000+ capacity crowd for aquatics, the 35,000+ seater rectangular stadium is there and ready! It's ideal location in Olympic park, with an installation of a temporary pool will most definitely provide the largest crowds for such a popular sport.

ah the guy who prefers temporary pavillions over existing indoor structures.

i see the pool in the football stadium idea has returned.

Umm hello? Even when you use the existing Rod :aver Arena, Multipurpose Arena and the Exhibition Buildings, you will still need arenas for other sports, and therefore they need arenas/pavilions to be built for the Olympics.

As for the pool, you can either have a temporary pool next to the aquatics centre, or use the strategically placed rectangular stadium (assuming it's not used for football preliminaries). It can work, and will most definitely show the largest crowds.

Umm hello? Even when you use the existing Rod :aver Arena, Multipurpose Arena and the Exhibition Buildings, you will still need arenas for other sports, and therefore they need arenas/pavilions to be built for the Olympics.

As for the pool, you can either have a temporary pool next to the aquatics centre, or use the strategically placed rectangular stadium (assuming it's not used for football preliminaries). It can work, and will most definitely show the largest crowds.

Why have Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London and all 2016 bidders chosen to build aquatic centres when there are football stadiums available to "host" aquatics?

Why have Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London and all 2016 bidders chosen to build aquatic centres when there are football stadiums available to "host" aquatics?

Cause they have decided to build them near the stadium at an Olympic Park and they also realise the need for such facilities in the city. There are no existing venues (with the possible exception of Athens' aquatic centre), in their Olympic Park. I'm merely pointing out Melbourne's rectangular stadium as a possibility, as to provide a main swimming pool at the Olympic Park, as well as a very large capacity.

Yes, Melbourne's aquatic centre could host Olympic swimming, but will most definitely need a larger main pool.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming roller sports is included in the olympics (and that is a big assumption!) and inline speed skating was the selected discipline, could Vodafone Arena host? would it be suitable? First week track cycling, second inline speed skating?

Definite nood. ;) That aside...

(1) Sure, a new "Centre Court" may be nice, as you propose to be used for Gymnastics for the Games and Tennis post games. Could work, but there's already very little free area around Olympic Park as is, unless you want to build directly at the free land next to the MCG. or one of the training ovals. :unsure:

(2) Equestrian will most definitely be held at Werribee as per the 1996 bid. It doesn't matter that Werribee is of some distance from the city centre, it has world class Equestrian facilities already, and will be upgraded and used for the Olympics. Flemington race course is simply used for horse racing, just because it has facilities for horses, doesn't necessarily make it a suitable host for Equestrian, at the most it could host the Equestrian Grand Prix event.

(3) MSAC should indeed be used if possible, if the outdoor pool can be upgraded to 15,000+, then by all means, an alternative would be to build a temporary outdoor pool nearby and use the existing pool for waterpolo events. Sydney nor Atlanta had such large aquatics venues, Sydney had 17,500 seats in it's aquatic park.

(4) Road Cycling events (and time trials for that matter), will be most definitely held along streets as per the 2006 Commonwealth Games, the Great Ocean Road (though great scenery), is just too far away from the city centre, the simple closure of the course roads in the city would suffice.

If Melbourne wants a 20,000+ capacity crowd for aquatics, the 35,000+ seater rectangular stadium is there and ready! It's ideal location in Olympic park, with an installation of a temporary pool will most definitely provide the largest crowds for such a popular sport.

I like theideas proposed however I would like to see the retractable roof closed on the Telestra Dome and use the stadium for gymnastics, basketball, and either handball or volleyball much in the same manner that Atlanta used the Georgia Dome. With regards to Vodafone Arena, could it not host preliminary rounds of volleyball or handball?

I like theideas proposed however I would like to see the retractable roof closed on the Telestra Dome and use the stadium for gymnastics, basketball, and either handball or volleyball much in the same manner that Atlanta used the Georgia Dome. With regards to Vodafone Arena, could it not host preliminary rounds of volleyball or handball?

please dont get him (you know who), started on Telstra Dome again.

I forgot this thread. Anyhow - I spoke to John Coates while in Beijing and asked him about future Australian bids. He believes that Brisbane is readying a 2020/24 bid, but that unless they present a magnificent world beating bid the AOC will not support a 2020 bid. He said quite plainly that the priority issue the AOC is dealing with is to get funding for sporting programmes and they could not in good faith go to any state or federal government (that may be in power at that time) and ask for $30-$40 million to spend on a bid unless they were assured the bid was in with a shot and would directly follow on or procede further sporting investment.

I asked about Melbourne - he said (all off the record) Melbourne is the best prepared but talks after the 2006 Commonwealth Games concluded with a response of "no immediate interest" from the Bracks Government. So I guess if Bracksy and Madden followed Ron Walker's statement that Melbourne should go for a Games, the AOC may have been interested. Obviously not for 2016 - but for 2020. I also asked about Perth - he said that WA has the money, but probably not the profile. More to the point he said "2024 to 2028 is when we may look at a Games again" and he is certain South America will host before Australia again. He didn't mention Africa.

So direct (kind of) from the horses mouth as it were.

I forgot this thread. Anyhow - I spoke to John Coates while in Beijing and asked him about future Australian bids. He believes that Brisbane is readying a 2020/24 bid, but that unless they present a magnificent world beating bid the AOC will not support a 2020 bid. He said quite plainly that the priority issue the AOC is dealing with is to get funding for sporting programmes and they could not in good faith go to any state or federal government (that may be in power at that time) and ask for $30-$40 million to spend on a bid unless they were assured the bid was in with a shot and would directly follow on or procede further sporting investment.

I asked about Melbourne - he said (all off the record) Melbourne is the best prepared but talks after the 2006 Commonwealth Games concluded with a response of "no immediate interest" from the Bracks Government. So I guess if Bracksy and Madden followed Ron Walker's statement that Melbourne should go for a Games, the AOC may have been interested. Obviously not for 2016 - but for 2020. I also asked about Perth - he said that WA has the money, but probably not the profile. More to the point he said "2024 to 2028 is when we may look at a Games again" and he is certain South America will host before Australia again. He didn't mention Africa.

So direct (kind of) from the horses mouth as it were.

Great insight. Its what i've (and i'm sure most the other informed members here) alwats suspected....there are just a shifty munch of Australian's out there (on GB.com and beyond) that thinks there is "more" to Australias chances. It's seriously funny when i read other people talking about bribes, secret underground bidding commitees and Hobart 2020.

Thanks for the insight puppy very interesting. I would also like to see more sports funding in the next 4-8 years rather than bidding for the games.

I can also confirm the Hobart (me) is not bidding for the 2020 games i only have a small house :)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here is a venue plan for a future Summer Olympics in Melbourne. I took most of the plan from a site named "Melbourne 2028" and I mixed up some of the indoor events for the Docklands Stadium to be included.

Melbourne Cricket Ground: Ceremonies, Athletics, Football Finals - 100,000

Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre: Diving, Water Polo, Table Tennis

Olympic Aquatics Arena: Swimming, Synchronised Swimming - 25,000

Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre: Boxing, Judo, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Badminton, Weightlifting

Melbourne Multi-Purpose Arena: Cycling, Tennis

Docklands Stadium: Basketball, Gymnastics - 66,000

National Water Sports Centre: Rowing, Flatwater Canoeing

Margaret Court Arena and 2 Show Courts: Tennis Preliminaries - 7,500, 5,000, and 5,000

State Netball/Hockey Centre: Field Hockey

Rod Laver Arena: Volleyball, Handball, Tennis Finals - 14,820

State Mountain Bike Course: Mountain Biking

Royal Exhibition Building: Fencing

Stadium Australia, Sydney: football - 83,500

Lang Park, Brisbane: Football - 52,500

Perth Stadium, Perth: Football - 60,000+

New Canberra Stadium, Canberra: Football - 40,000+

Adelaide Oval, Adelaide: Football - 50,000

Melbourne Rectangular Stadium: Rugby Sevens - 50,000

Melbourne International Shooting Club: Shooting

Werribee Park: Archery, Equestrian

St. Kilda Beach: Beach Volleyball

Port Phillip Bay: Sailing

Victoria BMX Centre: BMX

City Circuit: Marathon

Docklands Precinct: Race Walking

Royal Botanical Gardens: Road Cycling

Albert Park: Triathlon

*-Venue for Golf event needed.

^^Will you please stop that crap and get serious about this. I don't like jokes, I'm a serious user.

That's fine. But what's the point? Melbourne is NOT going to be hosting in 2020. Or 2024. Or 2028. It'll be lucky to host before 2050, by which time any such venue plan will be well and truly superceded and irrelevant.

That's fine. But what's the point? Melbourne is NOT going to be hosting in 2020. Or 2024. Or 2028. It'll be lucky to host before 2050, by which time any such venue plan will be well and truly superceded and irrelevant.

I hope we don't have to wait til then. Ill be 61.

Interesting to read this topic from the start where people were talking about Melbourne as a potential city within the next 20 years. TNMP saying how he talked to John Coates and that he talked about a potential bid after the 2006 CG

For the far majority of countries that can host, the Olympics are a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Especially countries that have a very small population & have had the honor already not once, but twice.

So I definitely concur with Roltel that Australia's next hosting isn't coming before 2050. And even then, that would still be extremely generous of the IOC for such a small populated country when we still have other more compelling countries that are biting at the bit to host their very first Games, N not to mention other countries like France, Germany, Italy & Japan that haven't hosted in decades, long B4 Australia has hosted just recently (in Olympic terms) with Sydney 2000.

With the 2018 Commonwealth Games seemingly destined for the Gold Coast and should Australia pull out a win for the 2022 FIFA World Cup on December 2, that will pretty much be it for the big ticket sports events in Australia. Within the span of a quarter century, they would have had a Summer Olympics, two Commonwealth Games, and a World Cup. As sports mad and fantastic as the Aussies are, that's a lot of big events for one nation of 25 million.

With the 2018 Commonwealth Games seemingly destined for the Gold Coast and should Australia pull out a win for the 2022 FIFA World Cup on December 2, that will pretty much be it for the big ticket sports events in Australia. Within the span of a quarter century, they would have had a Summer Olympics, two Commonwealth Games, and a World Cup. As sports mad and fantastic as the Aussies are, that's a lot of big events for one nation of 25 million.

dont foret the rugby world cup and cricket world cup also.

The way i see it, before Australia hosts again, the Olympics MUST go to;

- Africa, India and a predominantly Muslim country all for the first time

- Return to United States

- Return to Europe at least twice (post 2012; because i doubt Europe would go more than 12 or maybe 16 years without a games)

- Return to East Asia at least once

That already pushes Australia back to 2048, and I would expect both China and Japan would host another Olympics before Aus and another city from the Americas before Aus (ie Buenos Aires, Toronto). Including them would mean another European Olympics thrown in and by that Australia (let alone Melbourne) is pushed back further to maybe 2060.

Eg. The best realistic scenario for Melbourne's sake would be something like:

2020- Tokyo (Japan)

2024- Paris (Europe)

2028- Cape Town (Africa)

2032- San Francicso (USA)

2036- Delhi (India)

2040- Rome (Europe)

2044- Buenos Aires (Americas)

2048- Shanghai (China)

2052- Istanbul (Muslim city and Europe)

2056- Melbourne

but this would be quite generous