Melbourne 2020

Lord David

odd 3-5 pavillions cost money. the very reason london moved to excel rather than constructing a temporary fencing arena.

your plan does NOT work. nothing you say can change that and any further debate is pointless.

Heh. This coming from a person whose initial reaction was Cape Town's chances just dropped 50%. Anyhoo, it would indeed be up to the organizing committee to decide on the layout of venues. Perhaps it would be feasible to divide the rectangular stadium into 4 quadrants with temporary roofing or utilizing a permanent based roofing system. That would of course require swimming to be held elsewhere.

And don't say it does not work, with a bit of tweaking, it could.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heh. This coming from a person whose initial reaction was Cape Town's chances just dropped 50%. Anyhoo, it would indeed be up to the organizing committee to decide on the layout of venues. Perhaps it would be feasible to divide the rectangular stadium into 4 quadrants with temporary roofing or utilizing a permanent based roofing system. That would of course require swimming to be held elsewhere.

temporary roofing? i think you've lost the plot.

cape town's chances drop because melbourne has the potential with existing venues and infrastructure to offer the IOC a dream games/plan. that potential however is not present in your venue plan.

the venue sharing you propose does NOT work, IT DOESN NOT MEET IF REQUIREMENTS FOR VENUE SHARING, IT DOES NOT MEET IOC REQUIREMENTS FOR VENUE SHARING. clear enough?

With a larger playing field than the Georgia Dome, Telstra could do exactly what Atlanta did.

This during the Atlanta Invitational.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/240894.jpg...3B028731508E901

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/240898.jpg...4D0FC83CBAF8119

Its been done before and at a low cost i.e. a few % of the cost of 3-5 temporary pavillions, it makes the most sense without failing to meet IOC and IF requirements as your plan does. The venue management team at Telstra could also be used adding to the knowledge base of the venue team.

build a temporary roof on a football stadium (ie; less floor space) or divide up and existing (larger) already indoor stadium?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::huh:

Now that I have had some time, here is my "ideal" venue plan:

YARRA PARK SPORTS PRECINCT (main Olympic precinct)

Melbourne Cricket Ground- Great Southern Stand rebuilt as the stand would be 28 years after initial construction. Capacity increased to 105,000; though exactly 100,000 for the Games due to Athletic Track be installed.

Events: Opening/Closing Ceremonies, Track & Field, finish to marathons/walks, Football finals.

Rod Laver Arena- rebuilt with capacity of 20,000.

Events: Artistic Gymnastics, Trampoline, Basketball Finals

Vodafone Arena-no changes (still fairly advanced stadium). Velodrome mode-4500; Arena mode-10,500.

Events: Track Cycling, Rhythmic Gymnastics.

New Show court- built to accommodate growing popularity of Aus Open and to upgrade Melbourne Park, capacity 10,000.

Events: Tennis, including all finals.

Margaret Court Arena, Show court 2, Show court 3, other courts

Events: Tennis

Melbourne Rectangular Stadium-(to be complete in 2009) IF Rugby is included in Olympic programme, stadium should be expanded to 50,000 seats (foundations built to accommodate this), providing Melbourne with a major rectangular stadium.

Events: Rugby 7's, BMX Cycling (would that later be viable? The 2 events would only go for a combined 6 days, meaning a full week to adjust the venue would be enabled)

With Olympic Park Stadium set to be demolished, I'm presuming a temporary athletic track would be needed on one of the ovals in the precinct.

SOUTHBANK AND DOCKLANDS PRECINCT

I agree with Mo Rush's assessment that more than the 3 sports suggested by Lord David should be held at the Melbourne Exhibition Centre. I think the MEC should be marketed as the home of the "combat" events; hosting Judo, Taekwondo, Boxing and Wrestling; plus also hosting the preliminaries for Handball.

Hall 1: 10,000 seats, hosting Wrestling and Judo

Hall 2: 8,000 seats, hosting the preliminaries for Handball

Hall 3: 7,500 seats, hosting Wrestling and Taekwondo

Hall 4: 6,500 seats, hosting Boxing

New Conventions Centre: 6,000 seats, hosting Weightlifting

This would provide the complex with 6 sports.

Docklands Stadium-No changes, 56,000

Events: Football

I think Docklands would be better suited for the Football rather than the new Rectangular Stadium as football will obviously draw large crowds across the entire 2 weeks, meaning congestion in the Yarra Park Precinct would be quite high if Football was included there also. Docklands is ideally situated next to CBD, away from other major venues but still relatively close to Yarra Park Precinct and especially transport.

Melbourne International Shooting Club- no changes

Events: Pistol/Rifle Shooting

OTHER FOOTBALL VENUES

Stadium Australia (Sydney)- redeveloped (though for other purposes) to 90,000.

Lang Park (Brisbane)- 52,000 capacity.

Canberra Stadium-redeveloped (though for other purposes) to 40,000.

Adelaide Oval- 40,000 capacity.

*Stadium WA would not be viable for a 2.5 week tournament considering travel time and distance.

ALBERT PARK

Is their an IOC law in which the finish point for the walks must be the Olympic Stadium? If not, I'd like to see the road around Albert Park Lake, which hosts the Australian F1GP, host the men's and women's 20km walk.

Bob Jane Stadium- soon to redeveloped, capacity roughly 15-18,000

Events: Archery

Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre (within Albert Park)

Basketball Hall: 8,000 temporary seats

Events: Badminton

Table Tennis Hall: 6,500 temporary seats

Events: Table Tennis

Outdoor Pool- Additional temporary seats, capacity 12,000

Events: Synchronised Swimming, Swimming, Water Polo Finals

Indoor Pool- Additional temporary seats, 4,000

Events: Diving, Water Polo Preliminaries

ST. KILDA

Beach and surrounding areas: Triathlon

Beach Rd: Cycling Time Trials

St.Kilda Yacht Club and Port Phillip Bay: Sailing

St.Kilda Pier: Open Water Swimming (Start/Finish point)

Olympic Beach Volleyball Centre- temporary structure, 10,000, hosting Beach Volleyball. I can’t imagine where it would be located though (is there room on the beach?).

St.Kilda would be the hub of "free" events for spectators.

ROYAL PARK

The State Netball Hockey Centre would undergo significant redevelopment and expansion, in order for it to facilitate a variety of team sports. Post Olympics, it could also become the state’s home of Volleyball and continue to host basketball franchises.

Current Hockey Field: Temporary seating installed, becoming secondary hockey field with 8,000 capacity.

Events: Hockey

New Hockey Field: Becoming premium hockey stadium in state with 8,000 capacity, plus temporary capacity boosting arena to 15,000.

“The Cage”: Significant development in ultimately “merging” the arena’s hall with adjacent gymnasium. This new hall, comprising of no permanent seating, would have a capacity of 12,000. Post Olympics, the new hall would feature potentially 6 netball courts.

Events: Volleyball (entire competition)

New Arena: With the loss of “the Cage”, new arena constructed with 8,000 permanent seats, expanded to 12,000 for Olympics. Post games, the venue would become premium facility for top-class Netball and Volleyball, featuring a capacity enabling Internationals to be played. Also possible home of basketball franchises.

Events: Basketball preliminaries, Handball finals

CARLTON

Exhibition Buildings

I love the concept of including the Melbourne Exhibition Buildings (world heritage listed) in the Olympics, hosting a "traditional" sport such as fencing. Surely the massive building could cater for the "small" sport of fencing?

Capacity: 5,000.

Lygon St

I think Lygon would be an attractive location for the start point of the marathon events, which would follow a route touring Inner Melbourne. The 50km walk could follow a similar route.

MELBOURNE CITY

Royal Botanical Gardens Precinct- Road races (cycling), similar course to Commonwealth Games

OUTER SUBURBS/ REGIONAL VICTORIA

State Mountain Course- completed in 2006, so no development would be necessary; 8,000 capacity.

Events: Mountain Biking

Melbourne Gun Club- no changes, completed 2006.

Events: Trap/Skeet Shooting

Werribee Park Equestrian Centre- suggestions by Lord David seem reasonable, though could the Indoor Arenas be made use of?

Events: Dressage/ Show Jumping (18,000) & Cross-Country (10,000).

National Water Sports Centre- significant redevelopment, capacity 15-20,000

Events: Rowing, Canoe/Kayak Flat-water

Slalom Centre- obviously this would be built relatively close to the NWSC, possibly temporary, capacity 8,000

Events: Canoe/Kayak Slalom

Hopefully Modern Pentathlon will be deleted from the Olympic programme by 2020, hence no venue in above plan. If still in programme, then similar formula to Sydney Olympics would just be followed; each discipline competed at location of the actual sport.

Unfortunately I think a major flaw in a Melbourne bid would be the lack of a large (15-20,000) aquatic stadium. Personally, I don’t think Telstra Dome or even the Rectangular Stadium are solutions, because spectators would be to far away from the action. Another major problem is time; if, which is probable, a Melbourne Olympics transpired in late Sept/ early Oct. The Dome would be in use (AFL) just 2 weeks prior to the Olympics and the Rectangular Stadium directly after (A-League), meaning very limited time to install and remove a 50m pool.

That is possibly the best plan i've seen that doesn't use Telstra Dome...well done...it actually works and is viable.

Though IMO Telstra Dome should be used, with BMX at Bob Jan and Football at the rectangular stadium...either is good.

Now that I have had some time, here is my "ideal" venue plan:

YARRA PARK SPORTS PRECINCT (main Olympic precinct)

Melbourne Cricket Ground- Great Southern Stand rebuilt as the stand would be 28 years after initial construction. Capacity increased to 105,000; though exactly 100,000 for the Games due to Athletic Track be installed.

Events: Opening/Closing Ceremonies, Track & Field, finish to marathons/walks, Football finals.

Rod Laver Arena- rebuilt with capacity of 20,000.

Events: Artistic Gymnastics, Trampoline, Basketball Finals

Vodafone Arena-no changes (still fairly advanced stadium). Velodrome mode-4500; Arena mode-10,500.

Events: Track Cycling, Rhythmic Gymnastics.

New Show court- built to accommodate growing popularity of Aus Open and to upgrade Melbourne Park, capacity 10,000.

Events: Tennis, including all finals.

Margaret Court Arena, Show court 2, Show court 3, other courts

Events: Tennis

Melbourne Rectangular Stadium-(to be complete in 2009) IF Rugby is included in Olympic programme, stadium should be expanded to 50,000 seats (foundations built to accommodate this), providing Melbourne with a major rectangular stadium.

Events: Rugby 7's, BMX Cycling (would that later be viable? The 2 events would only go for a combined 6 days, meaning a full week to adjust the venue would be enabled)

With Olympic Park Stadium set to be demolished, I'm presuming a temporary athletic track would be needed on one of the ovals in the precinct.

SOUTHBANK AND DOCKLANDS PRECINCT

I agree with Mo Rush's assessment that more than the 3 sports suggested by Lord David should be held at the Melbourne Exhibition Centre. I think the MEC should be marketed as the home of the "combat" events; hosting Judo, Taekwondo, Boxing and Wrestling; plus also hosting the preliminaries for Handball.

Hall 1: 10,000 seats, hosting Wrestling and Judo

Hall 2: 8,000 seats, hosting the preliminaries for Handball

Hall 3: 7,500 seats, hosting Wrestling and Taekwondo

Hall 4: 6,500 seats, hosting Boxing

New Conventions Centre: 6,000 seats, hosting Weightlifting

This would provide the complex with 6 sports.

Docklands Stadium-No changes, 56,000

Events: Football

I think Docklands would be better suited for the Football rather than the new Rectangular Stadium as football will obviously draw large crowds across the entire 2 weeks, meaning congestion in the Yarra Park Precinct would be quite high if Football was included there also. Docklands is ideally situated next to CBD, away from other major venues but still relatively close to Yarra Park Precinct and especially transport.

Melbourne International Shooting Club- no changes

Events: Pistol/Rifle Shooting

OTHER FOOTBALL VENUES

Stadium Australia (Sydney)- redeveloped (though for other purposes) to 90,000.

Lang Park (Brisbane)- 52,000 capacity.

Canberra Stadium-redeveloped (though for other purposes) to 40,000.

Adelaide Oval- 40,000 capacity.

*Stadium WA would not be viable for a 2.5 week tournament considering travel time and distance.

ALBERT PARK

Is their an IOC law in which the finish point for the walks must be the Olympic Stadium? If not, I'd like to see the road around Albert Park Lake, which hosts the Australian F1GP, host the men's and women's 20km walk.

Bob Jane Stadium- soon to redeveloped, capacity roughly 15-18,000

Events: Archery

Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre (within Albert Park)

Basketball Hall: 8,000 temporary seats

Events: Badminton

Table Tennis Hall: 6,500 temporary seats

Events: Table Tennis

Outdoor Pool- Additional temporary seats, capacity 12,000

Events: Synchronised Swimming, Swimming, Water Polo Finals

Indoor Pool- Additional temporary seats, 4,000

Events: Diving, Water Polo Preliminaries

ST. KILDA

Beach and surrounding areas: Triathlon

Beach Rd: Cycling Time Trials

St.Kilda Yacht Club and Port Phillip Bay: Sailing

St.Kilda Pier: Open Water Swimming (Start/Finish point)

Olympic Beach Volleyball Centre- temporary structure, 10,000, hosting Beach Volleyball. I can’t imagine where it would be located though (is there room on the beach?).

St.Kilda would be the hub of "free" events for spectators.

ROYAL PARK

The State Netball Hockey Centre would undergo significant redevelopment and expansion, in order for it to facilitate a variety of team sports. Post Olympics, it could also become the state’s home of Volleyball and continue to host basketball franchises.

Current Hockey Field: Temporary seating installed, becoming secondary hockey field with 8,000 capacity.

New Hockey Field: Becoming premium hockey stadium in state with 8,000 capacity, plus temporary capacity boosting arena to 15,000.

“The Cage”: Significant development in ultimately “merging” the arena’s hall with adjacent gymnasium. This new hall, comprising of no permanent seating, would have a capacity of 12,000. Post Olympics, the new hall would feature potentially 6 netball courts.

Events: Volleyball (entire competition)

New Arena: With the loss of “the Cage”, new arena constructed with 8,000 permanent seats, expanded to 12,000 for Olympics. Post games, the venue would become premium facility for top-class Netball and Volleyball, featuring a capacity enabling Internationals to be played. Also possible home of basketball franchises.

Events: Basketball preliminaries, Handball finals

CARLTON

Exhibition Buildings

I love the concept of including the Melbourne Exhibition Buildings (world heritage listed) in the Olympics, hosting a "traditional" sport such as fencing. Surely the massive building could cater for the "small" sport of fencing?

Capacity: 5,000.

Lygon St

I think Lygon would be an attractive location for the start point of the marathon events, which would follow a route touring Inner Melbourne. The 50km walk could follow a similar route.

MELBOURNE CITY

Royal Botanical Gardens Precinct- Road races (cycling), similar course to Commonwealth Games

OUTER SUBURBS/ REGIONAL VICTORIA

State Mountain Course- completed in 2006, so no development would be necessary; 8,000 capacity.

Events: Mountain Biking

Melbourne Gun Club- no changes, completed 2006.

Events: Trap/Skeet Shooting

Werribee Park Equestrian Centre- suggestions by Lord David seem reasonable, though could the Indoor Arenas be made use of?

Events: Dressage/ Show Jumping (18,000) & Cross-Country (10,000).

National Water Sports Centre- significant redevelopment, capacity 15-20,000

Events: Rowing, Canoe/Kayak Flat-water

Slalom Centre- obviously this would be built relatively close to the NWSC, possibly temporary, capacity 8,000

Events: Canoe/Kayak Slalom

Hopefully Modern Pentathlon will be deleted from the Olympic programme by 2020, hence no venue in above plan. If still in programme, then similar formula to Sydney Olympics would just be followed; each discipline competed at location of the actual sport.

Unfortunately I think a major flaw in a Melbourne bid would be the lack of a large (15-20,000) aquatic stadium. Personally, I don’t think Telstra Dome or even the Rectangular Stadium are solutions, because spectators would be to far away from the action. Another major problem is time; if, which is probable, a Melbourne Olympics transpired in late Sept/ early Oct. The Dome would be in use (AFL) just 2 weeks prior to the Olympics and the Rectangular Stadium directly after (A-League), meaning very limited time to install and remove a 50m pool.

That is an interesting concept. However, the Marathon run would most likely be that of the current official annual marathon run, from Frankston ending at the MCG.

Swimming events of Aquatics can be held at Melbourne's Rectangular Stadium, provided that upgrades are done before hand. This would not be a temporary pool, but rather a permanent one, that is slightly deep within the ground to permit extra stadium seats and all the other amenities. It would be then protected by a cover, and then filled after the games returning it to it's original state. Should there be a need for a major Aquatics venue in the future, then that's the place.

Why can't Perth host? It's only a mere 3 hour flight from Melbourne, heck teams scheduled to play there can easily come there in advance, and play, then come to Melbourne for the ceremonies. :P

That is an interesting concept. However, the Marathon run would most likely be that of the current official annual marathon run, from Frankston ending at the MCG.

Swimming events of Aquatics can be held at Melbourne's Rectangular Stadium, provided that upgrades are done before hand. This would not be a temporary pool, but rather a permanent one, that is slightly deep within the ground to permit extra stadium seats and all the other amenities. It would be then protected by a cover, and then filled after the games returning it to it's original state. Should there be a need for a major Aquatics venue in the future, then that's the place.

Why can't Perth host? It's only a mere 3 hour flight from Melbourne, heck teams scheduled to play there can easily come there in advance, and play, then come to Melbourne for the ceremonies. :P

you're a nob. Why build a new pool in a football stadium when there is an existing pool right there. How often will Melbourne host events that will require a 30,000 seat pool...The 6,000 or so seats across the existing MSAC pools is more than enough for any swimming event outside of the Olympics, Commonwealths and World Champs....seriously, its like you're saying Melbourne should build a pool to keep hidden under the stadium until the Commonwealths swing around again...IDIOCY!

Do you just have a general hate for existing venues? (ie; No MSAC for aquatics, no Telstra for anything other than football or BMX)

For the record Perth is 5-6hours....Sydney only used Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Canberra. Dont see why a Melbourne Games wouldn't do the same....adding Perth doesn't have any positive impact on Melbournes chances-just negetive ones.

you're a nob. Why build a new pool in a football stadium when there is an existing pool right there. How often will Melbourne host events that will require a 30,000 seat pool...The 6,000 or so seats across the existing MSAC pools is more than enough for any swimming event outside of the Olympics, Commonwealths and World Champs....seriously, its like you're saying Melbourne should build a pool to keep hidden under the stadium until the Commonwealths swing around again...IDIOCY!

Do you just have a general hate for existing venues? (ie; No MSAC for aquatics, no Telstra for anything other than football or BMX)

For the record Perth is 5-6hours....Sydney only used Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Canberra. Dont see why a Melbourne Games wouldn't do the same....adding Perth doesn't have any positive impact on Melbournes chances-just negetive ones.

Well let's see, they built a temporary pool for the FINA championships at Rod Laver Arena, when there was an existing pool. It does not have to be permanent, but it's available. Well there's no real need to build another pool at MSAC unless it were temporary. It's just that considering the popularity of Swimming, a 35,000 seater venue would be nice, whether it be a temporary or permanent installation.

No MSAC for Aquatics? MSAC is the host of Diving, Synchronised Swimming and Waterpolo.

That is possibly the best plan i've seen that doesn't use Telstra Dome...well done...it actually works and is viable.

Though IMO Telstra Dome should be used, with BMX at Bob Jan and Football at the rectangular stadium...either is good.

Well Telstra Dome is used... as the major venue for football (Docklands Stadium). I'd probably agree with you that BMX could be at Bob Jane, though spectators would be further form the action as a permanent athletic track is due to be installed at the venues in the next 2 years.

I strongly doubt the marathon course would be the same as the Melbourne Marathon- as the route goes through a limited numbers of "hubs" in Melbourne (i.e. CBD, Docklands, Carlton, Richmond, Fitzroy, Southbank, Botanical Gardens precinct, St.Kilda, Albert Park etc.); which is usually the features of an Olympic or World Championship's marathon course. Also, South-East Melbourne would already host the triathlon, Time Trials and (possibly) 20km walks; meaning the North would be "alienated" in a sense from the road events.

The Marathon would follow a very similar course to the Commonwealth Games; passing through Carlton, Parkville, CBD, Docklands, Southbank, Port & South Melbourne, St.Kilda, Botanic Gardens precinct and East Melbourne.

The 50km course could then be a bit more "Northern" orientated (as the concept of locating the walks at Docklands during the Commonwealth Games was not overly successful); perhaps passing through Richmond, Carlton, Fitzroy, Parkville, CBD, Southbank, B.G.P and East Melbourne.

Perth won't host, it's 5 hours away, and a Melbourne Olympics would only need 4 additional stadiums, which is provided by Syd, Can, Bris & Adel. There is also the possibility Brisbane could be excluded in favour of the closer Tasmania, which may have a rectangular stadium by 2020. This would mean that no venue would be located more than 70 minutes from Melbourne.

Well let's see, they built a temporary pool for the FINA championships at Rod Laver Arena, when there was an existing pool. It does not have to be permanent, but it's available. Well there's no real need to build another pool at MSAC unless it were temporary. It's just that considering the popularity of Swimming, a 35,000 seater venue would be nice, whether it be a temporary or permanent installation.

They did that because the FINA Championships involved 1 sport; meaning numerous venues would be available, so why not move it to the larger Rod Laver. An Olympics is vastly different as it involves up to 28 sports, so a comparison really isn't valid because every major venue in a medium sized city such as Melbourne should be used to minimise construction of useless venues. If the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium (MRS from now on!) were to be used, than MSAC outdoor pool would be wasted and a new venue (under your proposal) would pointlessly be built for BMX in an inconvenient location in Brimbank (and I'm not saying that because I'm from "the leafy suburbs", I live 10 minutes away from Brimbank). IMO, Rugby 7's will inevitably be included on the Olympic programme in the short-term, so if the Dome and MRS are in use, where would the Rugby be held instead (Bob Jane certainly isn't big enough).

Of the other sports contending to enter the Olympics, Squash would be held at MSAC, Golf at one of the numerous courses, Karate at MEC, Baseball/Softball perhaps at Moorabin Oval, while Roller Sports is a problem!

They did that because the FINA Championships involved 1 sport; meaning numerous venues would be available, so why not move it to the larger Rod Laver. An Olympics is vastly different as it involves up to 28 sports, so a comparison really isn't valid because every major venue in a medium sized city such as Melbourne should be used to minimise construction of useless venues. If the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium (MRS from now on!) were to be used, than MSAC outdoor pool would be wasted and a new venue (under your proposal) would pointlessly be built for BMX in an inconvenient location in Brimbank (and I'm not saying that because I'm from "the leafy suburbs", I live 10 minutes away from Brimbank). IMO, Rugby 7's will inevitably be included on the Olympic programme in the short-term, so if the Dome and MRS are in use, where would the Rugby be held instead (Bob Jane certainly isn't big enough).

Of the other sports contending to enter the Olympics, Squash would be held at MSAC, Golf at one of the numerous courses, Karate at MEC, Baseball/Softball perhaps at Moorabin Oval, while Roller Sports is a problem!

I simply chose brimbank Park as a possibility as it would provide some diversity in the bid. (i.e involving greater Melbourne).

MSAC's outdoor pool isn't wasted, it would be used for Waterpolo and Synchronised Swimming

As for the other contending sports, yes Squash would be held at MSAC as was in the Commonwealth Games, Golf most likely at the Royal Golf Course, Karate at the same venue as Taekwondo or Wrestling (if possible), Baseball/Softball would be most likely held at the state complex (as per the 1996 bid), but is it possible to hold baseball finals at Telstra Dome? Roller Sports? Well, should there be a minimum of say 2,000, then MSAC's main arena could be used for the roller derby, and a temporary playing field be placed outside for roller hockey. Skateboarding might be considered a part of the sport, so a permanent skateboarding park could be built outside.

Just some thoughts.

I simply chose brimbank Park as a possibility as it would provide some diversity in the bid. (i.e involving greater Melbourne).

MSAC's outdoor pool isn't wasted, it would be used for Waterpolo and Synchronised Swimming

As for the other contending sports, yes Squash would be held at MSAC as was in the Commonwealth Games, Golf most likely at the Royal Golf Course, Karate at the same venue as Taekwondo or Wrestling (if possible), Baseball/Softball would be most likely held at the state complex (as per the 1996 bid), but is it possible to hold baseball finals at Telstra Dome? Roller Sports? Well, should there be a minimum of say 2,000, then MSAC's main arena could be used for the roller derby, and a temporary playing field be placed outside for roller hockey. Skateboarding might be considered a part of the sport, so a permanent skateboarding park could be built outside.

Just some thoughts.

I still think the outdoor pool and also the indoor pool would be wasted under that proposal as water polo, a less popular sport, would be held in a 12,000 seat venue despite a more suitable venue of 4,000 existing indoors. The synchronised swimming, which only lasts 4 days (I think!), would be the only events which could fill the relatively large venue. A 12,000 seat venue only being filled 2 or 3 days over a 16 day period is being wasted, IMO.

Your suggestions for roller sports probably aren't ideal, but I can't think of anything or anywhere else, so they'll do!

Also, where would Rugby 7's come under your plan?

Well Telstra Dome is used... as the major venue for football (Docklands Stadium). I'd probably agree with you that BMX could be at Bob Jane, though spectators would be further form the action as a permanent athletic track is due to be installed at the venues in the next 2 years.

i meant a plan that doesnt use Telstra Dome for indoor sports....Melbourne's venues for sport that aren't indoor are pretty obvious; its just getting the right indoor sports into the best fitted venues that is the challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though Australia is a great sports market it would be unrealistic for any Australian city to bid for the Olympic Games with any thought of actually being awarded the games. It was 1956 when Melbourne first hosted and 2000 when Australia got them again, 30 to 45 years would be respectable interlude between hostings. So Australia should be really 2030 to 2042 before Australia receives the games again. And by than, Brisbane would be a very viable host and using another city would definitely increase Australia's chances.

Even though Australia is a great sports market it would be unrealistic for any Australian city to bid for the Olympic Games with any thought of actually being awarded the games. It was 1956 when Melbourne first hosted and 2000 when Australia got them again, 30 to 45 years would be respectable interlude between hostings. So Australia should be really 2030 to 2042 before Australia receives the games again. And by than, Brisbane would be a very viable host and using another city would definitely increase Australia's chances.

As i have stated before, in 1956 Australia was isolated and no were near as economically strong as it is today. Melbourne was chosen because it was safe and stable.

Sydney was basically a marker of how far Australia had progressed since Melbourne. Australia is now a major economy of the world. Its capacity to host major events has changed dramatically since the 44year period 56-00. Australia has the ABLILITY to host the Games in 20-24year intervals.

Ofcourse, politics stands in the way. 56-00 wasn't entirely politcal, moreso economical. The next Australian games will be with held for reasons very different to those of Brisbane 1992, Melbourne 1996 and Sydney 2000.

Brisbane will be Australia's next bid. It wont be our next host.

It doesn't matter, Australia is not the US and won't get the games every 20 to 24 years. With emerging countries like Brazil, India and South Africa along with an increased interest amongst major European cities it is unlikely to see Australia get another games within the next 22 to 32 years especially if they put forward a former host in Melbourne.

A Brisbane bid will sure to fail, though at any rate a Melbourne bid could fail too, a Brisbane bid will will fail dramatically based on the available venues, transportation infrastructure, a possible havoc venue plan and the most certain need to build a modern Olympic stadium (as opposed to upgrading the Queensland Sports and Athletics Stadium).

A Brisbane bid will sure to fail, though at any rate a Melbourne bid could fail too, a Brisbane bid will will fail dramatically based on the available venues, transportation infrastructure, a possible havoc venue plan and the most certain need to build a modern Olympic stadium (as opposed to upgrading the Queensland Sports and Athletics Stadium).

By the time Australia gets the games again, Brisbane will have 2.5 million people by 2026 and a population base like that would require major transportation investment. Any Brisbane bid would be like Sydney's or London's, lots of new venues and development. Queensland and Brisbane are the fastest growing areas of Australia and would be the likely host if Australia was to win again in the 2030s or 2040s. Australia is too small of a country to warrant a games every 20 to 24 years.

By the time Australia gets the games again, Brisbane will have 2.5 million people by 2026 and a population base like that would require major transportation investment. Any Brisbane bid would be like Sydney's or London's, lots of new venues and development. Queensland and Brisbane are the fastest growing areas of Australia and would be the likely host if Australia was to win again in the 2030s or 2040s. Australia is too small of a country to warrant a games every 20 to 24 years.

Brisbane/Queensland, after 2010 will not be the fastest growing city or state in Australia.

Where will?

From the stats i've seen (which vary) Melbourne will be the largest (by number/s) growing city following 2010 and will eventually overtake Sydney as Australia's largest city (sometime around 2050) while Perth and WA will experience the largest population growth by percentage becuase of its economic growth which exceeds China's and vast open coastal land. My newspaper often informs me Perths population will double from what it is now (120year period) within a 35-40year period.

As i have stated before, in 1956 Australia was isolated and no were near as economically strong as it is today. Melbourne was chosen because it was safe and stable.

Sydney was basically a marker of how far Australia had progressed since Melbourne. Australia is now a major economy of the world. Its capacity to host major events has changed dramatically since the 44year period 56-00. Australia has the ABLILITY to host the Games in 20-24year intervals.

Ofcourse, politics stands in the way. 56-00 wasn't entirely politcal, moreso economical. The next Australian games will be with held for reasons very different to those of Brisbane 1992, Melbourne 1996 and Sydney 2000.

Brisbane will be Australia's next bid. It wont be our next host.

Well considering Mexico City and Buenos Aires where the competing cities against Melbourne for 1956 I would generally say you are right but also the thrust with a few American cities thrown in for 1956 including LA seemed to be for the games to go to a new frontier. Sydney was not only coming of Age But the use of the "lets make them our friends" tactic that Atlanta used on Melbourne , Athens, Manchester, Toronto and Belgrade. Going to Melbourne for 1996 would be just attractive for the Economic reasons as Sydney in 2000 or Beijing for that matter. Some how I think a bit of everything goes into how a voter chooses and it can also be on the very day of the vote that some make up their minds.

jim jones

Archived