Melbourne 2020

Lord David

2020 isnt going to happen as Ron Walker looks like being busy with the Grand Prix until 2015 :)

Telstra Dome should be used for something and weather in september will be sorted buy 2030 havent you heard got GLOBAL WARMING?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geee..Im glad Melbourne DIDNT get those 1996 Games......

On those above dates,Melbourne's weather is certainly not what you would associate with Summer Games

Average temperatures in Mebourne from 21 Sep 1996-6 Oct 1996 were

Min:13.0 Deg© (55degF)

Max:16.5 Deg© (62degF)

And it rained on 10/16 days

http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/MELBOURNE/948680.htm

Melbournes problem with getting another Olympic Games is always going to be timing.The IOC will never allow another November Games as they did in 1956,and even the AOC expressed concern way back in 1990 about having an Olympic Games in Melbourne in September.

Actually..my mistake

Min is not 13Deg

Min:9.5 Deg C (49 Deg F)

The Royal Exhibition Centre would struggle to host more than one sport..even if it surficed to the IOC's pairing rules.

As for Telstra Dome...no you haven't. You have nominated Melbourne Rectangular Stadium...thats a strange...i thought they were different venues.

Also. If we're going to get SUPER tight on venue restrictions, Cycling and Vollyball cannot share venues...neither can Tennis and Basketball....unless the Games are longer than 16days. In a mock up i guess this is fine to show Melbournes capabilities, but i dont think it'd pass through the IOC.

Well I made some changes, I suppose Volleyball would end up having to move to say a 3rd pavilion, with the finals possibly being held at the Multi-Purpose Venue.

Tennis and Basketball finals are fine at Rod Laver Areana provided that it is the Tennis final of men's/women's/mixed/double mens and womens and the quarter finals/semis of tennis held at the other arenas.

As for the Telstra dome, it seems like the "cheap" way out, as we should be capable of building indoor arenas for the various sports or use other available venues (provided that they are in capacity) as opposed to taking the easy way out and building within the Telstra Dome (on account of the convenience of a readily available roof). Telstra Dome could be used, probably for archery, cycling BMX, equestrian, but it would be at the expense of the view. It's not really too grand if say archery was held in a large indoor stadium as opposed to a wonderful view in an outdoor park.

Dividing Telstra dome for specific sports could work, but it would still seem a cheap means of providing space for various indoor sports.

I'd say a Melbourne bid would be somewhat laughed at should we consider having Telstra Dome segmented into "pavilions" or "arenas" for the purpose of fitting more sports in the venue, to simply have a use for the venue.

Well just a thought, as much as the use of Telstra Dome in a bid is nice, not for any indoor sports please.

Tennis and Basketball finals are fine at Rod Laver Areana provided that it is the Tennis final of men's/women's/mixed/double mens and womens and the quarter finals/semis of tennis held at the other arenas.

As for the Telstra dome, it seems like the "cheap" way out, as we should be capable of building indoor arenas for the various sports or use other available venues (provided that they are in capacity) as opposed to taking the easy way out and building within the Telstra Dome (on account of the convenience of a readily available roof). Telstra Dome could be used, probably for archery, cycling BMX, equestrian, but it would be at the expense of the view. It's not really too grand if say archery was held in a large indoor stadium as opposed to a wonderful view in an outdoor park.

Dividing Telstra dome for specific sports could work, but it would still seem a cheap means of providing space for various indoor sports.

I'd say a Melbourne bid would be somewhat laughed at should we consider having Telstra Dome segmented into "pavilions" or "arenas" for the purpose of fitting more sports in the venue, to simply have a use for the venue.

Well just a thought, as much as the use of Telstra Dome in a bid is nice, not for any indoor sports please.

No Tennis and Basketball are not fine. The basketball competion takes up almost all days of the Olympics. Fitting the entire basketball competition (both men and womens) into a venue with a single court, then converting it (for 2 or 3 games of tennis) within the 16days is near impossible.

I would hope any new venues that may be built for a Melbourne Games (at the expense of not using Telstra Dome) are temporary. Given the likelyhood of no top level basketball in Australia following 2008 there is no major need for indoor space in Melbourne. Esspecially considering the new exhibition centre. Melboure already has two major indoor arena's and a third for NBL level basketball. This is sufficient for a city the size of Melbourne and for the demands of indoor sports in Australia.

Leaving a world class venue like Telstra Dome idle during a games is stupid. I also do agree with your "cheap" arguement. Whats wrong with it? Atlanta did it. It would save a bucketload of money and create a great atmosphere around Docklands.

Telstra Dome for archery (too big), equestian (would be miles from the cross country venue) and diving (building a pool just for diving? idiocy) wont work. I can see BMX inside the dome but i think it can be utilised better. I really cannot see why aquatic and a handful of indoor sports wont be well hosted by TD.

My 2020 Fantasy bid with Melbourne proved that the Games can be organised in Melbourne without the need for new indoor space.

No Tennis and Basketball are not fine. The basketball competion takes up almost all days of the Olympics. Fitting the entire basketball competition (both men and womens) into a venue with a single court, then converting it (for 2 or 3 games of tennis) within the 16days is near impossible.

I would hope any new venues that may be built for a Melbourne Games (at the expense of not using Telstra Dome) are temporary. Given the likelyhood of no top level basketball in Australia following 2008 there is no major need for indoor space in Melbourne. Esspecially considering the new exhibition centre. Melboure already has two major indoor arena's and a third for NBL level basketball. This is sufficient for a city the size of Melbourne and for the demands of indoor sports in Australia.

Leaving a world class venue like Telstra Dome idle during a games is stupid. I also do agree with your "cheap" arguement. Whats wrong with it? Atlanta did it. It would save a bucketload of money and create a great atmosphere around Docklands.

Telstra Dome for archery (too big), equestian (would be miles from the cross country venue) and diving (building a pool just for diving? idiocy) wont work. I can see BMX inside the dome but i think it can be utilised better. I really cannot see why aquatic and a handful of indoor sports wont be well hosted by TD.

My 2020 Fantasy bid with Melbourne proved that the Games can be organised in Melbourne without the need for new indoor space.

give him time. developing venue plans is an acquired skill and everybody gets there at their own pace.

Using the Sydney Benchmark, 6,000sqm if adequate to host a variety of indoor sports. Using temporary seats

Badminton/Rhythmic Gymnastics - 6,000sqm

Handball Prelims - 6,000sqm

Volleyball Prelims - 6,000sqm but pref 7,000

Fencing 5,000sqm

Judo/Wrestling - 7,500sqm (IOC now required 8,000 capacity)

Table Tennis/Taekwondo - 6,000sqm

Boxing 6,000sqm

Considering the exhibition centre has 30,000 sqm you could fit in quite a few sports, very comfortably compared to Sydney 2000.

Telstra Dome helps a lot . swimming and gymnastics are ideal, with basketball finals too.

Use Rod Laver for Basketball prelims or rather volleyball which now requires a 15,000 capacity according to the IOC.

The plan needs a lot of tweaking but Aaron and I don't mind guiding/helping.

Ahem, I point out that there's a Basketball Preliminaries venue, that can host the prelims as well as possibly the quarter finals and semi finals. Where Rod Laver Arena hosts the final matches for Tennis, Basketball finals for men and women and the 3rd place matches for both. It can work.

I do suppose any new venues built for the games will constitute as temporary Olympic Pavilions as in the Paris 2012 bid, and possibly materials used in temporary construction salvaged and used elsewhere.

Telstra Dome seems somewhat likely for Football quarter finals and semi finals, with the MCG used for the final matches and 3rd place match.

Ahem, I point out that there's a Basketball Preliminaries venue, that can host the prelims as well as possibly the quarter finals and semi finals. Where Rod Laver Arena hosts the final matches for Tennis, Basketball finals for men and women and the 3rd place matches for both. It can work.

I do suppose any new venues built for the games will constitute as temporary Olympic Pavilions as in the Paris 2012 bid, and possibly materials used in temporary construction salvaged and used elsewhere.

Telstra Dome seems somewhat likely for Football quarter finals and semi finals, with the MCG used for the final matches and 3rd place match.

why go to the effort of significantly upgrading MSAC arena for basketball? I dont think a 7,000seat arena at Albert Park would ever be sustainable....and FFS, the tennis and basketball finals clash...there is no way Rod Laver can host both...it could possibly host the prelims from one sport and the final from another but not both. I really dont see why you dont have Rod Laver as a dedicated indoor venue and slap a few temporary seats on MCA for the tennis final. Tennis and Basketball dont share venues...never have, never will.

What a waste...TD for football and the football stadium for BMX...that sounds all too screwy to me.

why go to the effort of significantly upgrading MSAC arena for basketball? I dont think a 7,000seat arena at Albert Park would ever be sustainable....and FFS, the tennis and basketball finals clash...there is no way Rod Laver can host both...it could possibly host the prelims from one sport and the final from another but not both. I really dont see why you dont have Rod Laver as a dedicated indoor venue and slap a few temporary seats on MCA for the tennis final. Tennis and Basketball dont share venues...never have, never will.

What a waste...TD for football and the football stadium for BMX...that sounds all too screwy to me.

Err I was thinking of using the large spacious Basketball hall for Basketball Preliminaries. Simply improve general infrastructure in the hall, add video screens and temporary seating (stadium style and floor seats), with the main basketball court.

Rod Laver Arena can indeed host the final (Note that is the final for the various parts of each sport taking 2 days at most for each sport) for each sport, just have Tennis held earlier than Basketball, the finals for tennis then the finals for Basketball.

Err I was thinking of using the large spacious Basketball hall for Basketball Preliminaries. Simply improve general infrastructure in the hall, add video screens and temporary seating (stadium style and floor seats), with the main basketball court.

Rod Laver Arena can indeed host the final (Note that is the final for the various parts of each sport taking 2 days at most for each sport) for each sport, just have Tennis held earlier than Basketball, the finals for tennis then the finals for Basketball.

The main stadium has 2,000seat though...and from my experiences with the venue, little room for expansion.

I suggest you take a look at the IOC's venue requirements list...Tennis and Basketball cannot pair. The difference between the shape of each arena is a problem, converting the arena is time is difficult and seems like a hell of an effort when there is a perfectly good venue just next door....OR OVER IN DOCKLANDS!

For Indoor Sports...

Telstra Dome (20,000 and 20,000): Basketball, Gymnastics (Trampoline) & Gymnastics (Artistic)

Rod Laver Arena (12,000): Volleyball

Vodafone Arena (10,000): Judo & Wrestling

Royal Exhibition Centre (5,000): Fencing

Convention Centre (6,000 x 2): Taekwondo & Table Tennis, Badminton & Gymnastics (Rhythmic)

Exhibition Centre (5,000): Boxing

Sports and Aquatic Centre (7,400): Handball

Tennis: Upgraded MCA (10,000), SC1 (5,000) and SC2 (3,000)

Cycling (Track): Temporary volodrome (5,000), possibly at Melbourne Showgrounds or Olympic Park (east)... removes the need for the construction of 3 major new arena's in Melbourne; a city not well known for indoor sports.

** sports joined by & share the same space over the 16day period as according to IOC pairing rules.

For Indoor Sports...

Telstra Dome (20,000 and 20,000): Basketball, Gymnastics (Trampoline) & Gymnastics (Artistic)

Rod Laver Arena (12,000): Volleyball

Vodafone Arena (10,000): Judo & Wrestling

Royal Exhibition Centre (5,000): Fencing

Convention Centre (6,000 x 2): Taekwondo & Table Tennis, Badminton & Gymnastics (Rhythmic)

Exhibition Centre (5,000): Boxing

Sports and Aquatic Centre (7,400): Handball

Tennis: Upgraded MCA (10,000), SC1 (5,000) and SC2 (3,000)

Cycling (Track): Temporary volodrome (5,000), possibly at Melbourne Showgrounds or Olympic Park (east)... removes the need for the construction of 3 major new arena's in Melbourne; a city not well known for indoor sports.

** sports joined by & share the same space over the 16day period as according to IOC pairing rules.

There's no need to build a velodrome (even if temporary) as Vodafone Arena (Multi-Purpose Venue) is already a velodrome stadium with 4,500 seats, what difference should 500 seats make if the venue is sufficient? There's no need to spend an odd 25 or so million in building a temporary track for expected profits which are less than the cost of construction (though can be rectified through the potential in profit for the whole games).

I still prefer my idea, where The finals of Tennis and Basketball are held in Rod Laver Arena, and Volleyball finals in Multip-Purpose Venue.

The pairing of Tennis and Basketball is not with IOC guidelines I know, but if the sporting federations agree and the schedule is reasonable (it shouldn't be too long to convert the venue, I'd say 2 days or so), then why not?

I still dislike the use of Telstra Dome as a venue to fit as many indoor sports as possible.

There's no need to build a velodrome (even if temporary) as Vodafone Arena (Multi-Purpose Venue) is already a velodrome stadium with 4,500 seats, what difference should 500 seats make if the venue is sufficient? There's no need to spend an odd 25 or so million in building a temporary track for expected profits which are less than the cost of construction (though can be rectified through the potential in profit for the whole games).

I still prefer my idea, where The finals of Tennis and Basketball are held in Rod Laver Arena, and Volleyball finals in Multip-Purpose Venue.

The pairing of Tennis and Basketball is not with IOC guidelines I know, but if the sporting federations agree and the schedule is reasonable (it shouldn't be too long to convert the venue, I'd say 2 days or so), then why not?

I still dislike the use of Telstra Dome as a venue to fit as many indoor sports as possible.

Well for starters i've only proposed 2 sports in Telstra Dome (gymnastics and basketball)...thats not exactly cramming a whole heap of sports in.

The paring ISN'T within the guidelines, IF they would agree and POSSIBLY the venue could be converted...there is a lot of holes in that thinking!

As for my temporary velodrome...a) it beats the hell out of building a 3 new arenas. B) would allow Vodafone to host indoor sports...VOLLEYBALL AND CYCLING will NEVER share a venue, unless one is specifically designed for them to do so.

What is the harm in adding a few temporary seats to MCA, SC1 etc and a small temporary velodrome for the sake of avoiding building 3, major, tax payer funded, venues with no legacy???

3026315214a350280d9uu3.jpg

Telstra Dome: The arena not good enough for indoor Olympic sports...??? um yeah.

3026315214a350280d9uu3.jpg

Telstra Dome: The arena not good enough for indoor Olympic sports...??? um yeah.

Err that's a concert, in which concerts are usually held at the Coventry end cause grass grows faster in that end afterwards. There have been few indoor sporting events held at the Telstra Dome, the sheer size makes it pointless.

Err that's a concert, in which concerts are usually held at the Coventry end cause grass grows faster in that end afterwards. There have been few indoor sporting events held at the Telstra Dome, the sheer size makes it pointless.

going to comment on the venue plan??? or just trash the picture?

yes its big...thats why it should be split in half as TNMP said...just like Atlantas dome was in 1996.....omg! its been done before? unlike volleyball and cycling? or tennis and basketball? shock-a-mazock! osh bagosh!

oh. and when did i ever say it wasn't a concert, or rather, that it was sport???

apart from the volleyball capacity needing to be 15,000, Aaron is right and I'd rather listen to him than debate.

tennis and basketball CANNOT share.

The velodrome CANNOT share with any sports except EITHER badminton OR rythmic gymnastics.

Telstra dome is MORE THAN ADEQUATE for indoor sports. Visit www.stadiarena.com or www.nussli.ch .

As Ive said before a temporary setup would be used and not the actual stadium bowl/seats.

Lord David, you OK the construction of temporary pavillions for a few indoor sports BUT you dont OK using the indoor space available and rather only building ONE temporary indoor pavillion??

With Melbourne its a win-win-win situation with all its indoor space. Proposing anything else is just DUMB.

apart from the volleyball capacity needing to be 15,000, Aaron is right and I'd rather listen to him than debate.

tennis and basketball CANNOT share.

Yes, through IOC guidelines, but if proposed and accepted, then why not?

The velodrome CANNOT share with any sports except EITHER badminton OR rythmic gymnastics.

Well Vodafone Arena is already a proven convertible indoor arena for track cycling and other indoor sports, it can work.

Telstra dome is MORE THAN ADEQUATE for indoor sports. Visit www.stadiarena.com or www.nussli.ch .

As Ive said before a temporary setup would be used and not the actual stadium bowl/seats.

Yes, you could put temporary seats in the field, but due to it's oval shape, it just doesn't seem that great. You could perhaps fit two "arenas" in the venue but that's probably it. There's also the fact that people need access to these stands somehow, by what exactly? Bridges? Walking to the stands from the ground? Are concessions going to be on ground level or do you have to walk all the way back to the concourses for facilities? It would seem like quite a walk from your seat to say the stadium's toilets. Basically, fitting 2 arenas in the stadium for 2 or 3 sports just doesn't seem worth all the trouble, it'll be feasible to just build temporary pavilions somewhere.

Lord David, you OK the construction of temporary pavillions for a few indoor sports BUT you dont OK using the indoor space available and rather only building ONE temporary indoor pavillion??

With Melbourne its a win-win-win situation with all its indoor space. Proposing anything else is just DUMB.

Well it's just a plan, I'm not an expert on specifics, but more pavilions could be built if necessary, all in all the popular indoor sports are bing centered around Olympic Park, and Basketball, being most popular here, should be at Rod Laver Arena, with Tennis (as for the namesake of the venue), as stated before, if the schedule is properly defined, and approved by the federations, then I don't see how both sports couldn't be played in the same venue (noting that they're just going to be the final for each sport).

All our indoor space? Ok, fitting as many indoor sports in the Melbourne Exhibition Centre is logical, and using our 2 world class indoor arenas, as for any other indoor sport that needs a venue in which all other spaces are already taken, then temporary arenas would be sufficient for the hosting of such events.

Well Vodafone Arena is already a proven convertible indoor arena for track cycling and other indoor sports, it can work.

Yes, you could put temporary seats in the field, but due to it's oval shape, it just doesn't seem that great. You could perhaps fit two "arenas" in the venue but that's probably it. There's also the fact that people need access to these stands somehow, by what exactly? Bridges? Walking to the stands from the ground? Are concessions going to be on ground level or do you have to walk all the way back to the concourses for facilities? It would seem like quite a walk from your seat to say the stadium's toilets. Basically, fitting 2 arenas in the stadium for 2 or 3 sports just doesn't seem worth all the trouble, it'll be feasible to just build temporary pavilions somewhere.

Well it's just a plan, I'm not an expert on specifics, but more pavilions could be built if necessary, all in all the popular indoor sports are bing centered around Olympic Park, and Basketball, being most popular here, should be at Rod Laver Arena, with Tennis (as for the namesake of the venue), as stated before, if the schedule is properly defined, and approved by the federations, then I don't see how both sports couldn't be played in the same venue (noting that they're just going to be the final for each sport).

All our indoor space? Ok, fitting as many indoor sports in the Melbourne Exhibition Centre is logical, and using our 2 world class indoor arenas, as for any other indoor sport that needs a venue in which all other spaces are already taken, then temporary arenas would be sufficient for the hosting of such events.

1. The IOC guidelines are BENCHMARK requirements, meaning a minimum. The very fact that this requirement was lifted from 12,000 to 15,000 from the 2012 to 2016 bid phase means that the IOC prefers the higher capacityas a benchmark and is unlikely to accept a capacity closer to 12,000.

2. NO. It can't work! You're missing the point. Here are two reasons why certain venues can't be shared.

a. certain sports competitions have schedules over e.g. 10 days and considering the games only run over 17 days, sports that require a venue for a long period cannot share with another venue that requires a venue for long periods. Overlapping venue use will NOT be allowed.

b. certain venues just cant be adapted to host other sports within the required time frame. The IOC guidelines that certain sports share venues e.g. badminton/rhythmic gymnastics , judo/wrestling, table tennis taekwondo is based on the fact that they can both fit into the schedule. They are NOT used at the same time for both sports, and the venue setup allows for easy adaptation between the time the one sport events final is completed and the start of the next sport usually two days later.

3. The oval shape is fine. The use of such indoor venue has been proved and proposed various times. You only need to fit two arenas. Ideally the aquatic centre and another venue for basketball. Diving and waterpolo have venues that could be used and basketball finals can be held in rod laver, meaning that only 8,000 I think is needed in the preliminary phase. The technology to adapt Telstra Dome has been available for quite a few years now, and coping with access is a non-issue.

Concessions in the existing stadium can be used and dont need to surround the temporary arenas. The walk to the concession areas of the stadium are a short walk and far from exhaustive. Again, temporary setups for ALL facilties exists and solutions for these already exist. See www.stadiarena.com and www.nussli.ch. I've seen enough to say that Telstra Dome and its use is a non-issue.

4. No, its not more feasible to build 3 or 4 temporary pavillions at a high cost elsewhere. The setup of Telstra Dome would cost MUCH less than building pavillions since it has a roof, and facilties to cope with crowds. I am not seeing your logic by saying that because its not logical.

5. I know the idea of temporary pavillions seems cool after the Paris 2012 proposal but you only need them when you don't have the required indoor space. Melbourne has sufficient indoor space, and should use this rather than build unecessary pavillions at a greater cost.

6. Yes, finals can be held in one venue but then prelims of the one sport needs to be held elsewhere. The entire bastketball event CANNOT be shared with tennis. The final of Basketball though can be hosted at Rod Laver since Tennis has a schedule of about 8 days. But you can't share some venues for preliminaries and finals of two sports. Its just not possible

The very existince of venue guidelines and IOC suggestions is based on consultation with IF's and the IOC requirements. These suggestions are the best option and are based on research and studies and the schedules. The best solutions have already been found and this is why Aaron and I are eating into your plan.

Why proposed something that MIGHT (chances probably less that 10%) be accepted when you can propose something that MEETS the requirements? That is just a DUMB comment.

Vodafone is a great venue. However, i suggest you go look at the Olympic programs for Beijing, Sydney, London and every other city that ever bid for the games. Volleyball and Cycling cannot share! Basketball and Tennis cannot share! WHY? Because both Volleyball and Basketball competitions last (and in some cases exceed) the entire 16day period. Explain to me how you'd plan to convert these venues? I guess you're just planning basketball and volleyball competition around the clock eh?

So what. Gaining to arena's (ie; enough space for possibly 4 sports) is a great outcome for a venue you proposed Melbourne shouldn't use. I would think any arena's constructed within the dome would incorporate the existing stands and temporary ones constructed on the field. I made a plan for this in my fantasy bid. It works well. I will see if i can mock something up again.

Toilets....well im sure patrons would rather walk a few extra meters than take a crap in a hire-a-toilet style set up in a temporary arena.

Listen to you..."building a 3 new pavillions is easier than fitting out an existing venue"...that is just DUMB.

Stop being a noob. Your plan doesnt work..

Listen to you..."building a 3 new pavillions is easier than fitting out an existing venue"...that is just DUMB.

Stop being a noob. Your plan doesnt work..

Well for starters you got open construction, secondly it doesn't have to be an actual arena like structure. It can easily be a cross between a tent like pavilion and a proper arena, which should be easily able to be removed afterwards. Simply have the odd 3-5 pavilions within walking distance in each other with a perimeter fence, turnstile entrances, concourses and the restrooms. It can work and can be reasonably within budget too.

Well for starters you got open construction, secondly it doesn't have to be an actual arena like structure. It can easily be a cross between a tent like pavilion and a proper arena, which should be easily able to be removed afterwards. Simply have the odd 3-5 pavilions within walking distance in each other with a perimeter fence, turnstile entrances, concourses and the restrooms. It can work and can be reasonably within budget too.

then why cant this be constructed in Telstra Dome (ie; no cost for turnstiles, no fences, no restrooms etc to construct).

wouldn't this "tent-like" construction be easier indoors where lighting, roofing and amenities all exist? As Mo said, theres not much logic behind what you're saying.

I can't see how Magaret Court Arena's capacity of 5000 could be doubled in size, considering its located directly beside Rod Laver Arena. A large-scale expansion would result in the destruction of the path seperating these venues, or at least significantly narrowed; which is not viable as the already becomes quite congested during the Australian Open. I think a more likely outcome would be the development of a 10,000 seat showcourt being constructed where some of the outer courts are near the tram lines.

Obviously the entire volleyball competition could not be staged at the multi-purpose venue along with Track Cycling, but the finals for a sport (i.e. tennis, basketball, handball etc) could be hosted there couldn't it?

I think its inevitable Rod Laver Arena will be rebuilt/redeveloped in the next 10-12 years, provided Melbourne Park still host the Aus Open (I know that contradicts what i said earlier, but some of Rod Laver's seating is currently (albeit not a significant amount) above the pathway, meaning an enlarged venue wouldn't dramatically alter the path as the seats would continue "skywards" in a sense. This is different to the MGA as the path is actually above the venue). Capacity would probably increase to 20,000 seats.

The above mentioned altercations to Melbourne Park would allow Artistic Gymnastics, Trampoline and Basketball finals to be held at Rod Laver, Track Cycling and the Tennis finals at Vodafone, and the rest of the tennis competition at the new and current showcourts (10,000; 5,000; 3,500 etc).

MCA's current capacity (not including standing area's) is 6,000. though you're probably correct, putting in a few extra thousand seats will be tight. My arguement is much like yours. Tennis souly at Olympic Park, though NOT at Rod Laver.

Basketball and Handball cannot share finals at Rod Laver as they both occur at the same period over the 16-17days.

Tennis and Track Cycling COULD work together at Vodafone. However i have my doubts as tennis and cycling usually start and finish around the same time with 4-5days of competition for cycling and 6-7 for tennis in the middle of the Games....none the less if a new outdoor 10,000 seat tennis facility could be found there would be no reason to stage the final in Vodafone...Badminton and Gymnastics could easily slide in however.

odd 3-5 pavillions cost money. the very reason london moved to excel rather than constructing a temporary fencing arena.

your plan does NOT work. nothing you say can change that and any further debate is pointless.

Basketball and Handball cannot share finals at Rod Laver as they both occur at the same period over the 16-17days.

Tennis and Track Cycling COULD work together at Vodafone. However i have my doubts as tennis and cycling usually start and finish around the same time with 4-5days of competition for cycling and 6-7 for tennis in the middle of the Games....none the less if a new outdoor 10,000 seat tennis facility could be found there would be no reason to stage the final in Vodafone...Badminton and Gymnastics could easily slide in however.

But one of the finals series for basketball or handball could be held at Rod Laver. To delete confusion, I'd instantly choose basketball.

Now that you mention it, the tennis wouldn't need to move if the new venue was 10,000 in capacity!

As I've mentioned, with or (most probably) without the Olympics, I think Rod Laver will be rebuilt/redeveloped in the next 10 years due to the growing pressure from Sydney and even China to "steal" our Grand Slam. A new showcourt will inevitably be built as well, though with an Olympics the planned capacity would most likely be higher.

Archived