Melbourne 2020

Lord David

Couldn't happen Aaron - the IOC host city contract forbids any other major events during Games time - and even though it is a local competition, it is broadcast globally. So that would be a no.

IF Melbourne went for the Games and IF they were to be held in late September you'd see one of two things.

1 - The AFL season would start in February and culminate in August. The pre season cup would be scrapped for the year.

2 - The Grand Final may be moved to either Telstra Dome (I know - too small but what can they do?) or ANZ Stadium in Sydney as a one off. The season would still have to start early to not clash with the Games, and it would be dependent on how they use the Telstra Dome - if they follow our plan, Aaron, and do an Atlanta (half of the ground for Basketball, half for Swimming or Gymnastics with a big curtain down the middle like the Georgia Dome dor Atlanta 1996) then that takes a Melbourne grand final off the table completely.

Word around the Victorian Olymp Comm. is that Brisbane may try to get a bid up for 2020/2024. The AOC seems happy to see their feasibility reports and will make a judgment based on the realistic chances of winning. I guess it comes down to this - if South America or Africa win a Games in the next few cycles then that will push any Aussie bid away for at least a decade. If we see Rio 2016 or 2020 then I doubt any Aussie bid will move ahead until the 2030's.

Personally I do not see Rio winning 2016. 2020 perhaps depending on the 2016 outcome and how the WC preperations go. Cape Town may bid for 2020 - then again they may bid with Durban for 2018 and wait to pay off the World Cup bills!!

So many variables.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Couldn't happen Aaron - the IOC host city contract forbids any other major events during Games time - and even though it is a local competition, it is broadcast globally. So that would be a no.

IF Melbourne went for the Games and IF they were to be held in late September you'd see one of two things.

1 - The AFL season would start in February and culminate in August. The pre season cup would be scrapped for the year.

2 - The Grand Final may be moved to either Telstra Dome (I know - too small but what can they do?) or ANZ Stadium in Sydney as a one off. The season would still have to start early to not clash with the Games, and it would be dependent on how they use the Telstra Dome - if they follow our plan, Aaron, and do an Atlanta (half of the ground for Basketball, half for Swimming or Gymnastics with a big curtain down the middle like the Georgia Dome dor Atlanta 1996) then that takes a Melbourne grand final off the table completely.

Word around the Victorian Olymp Comm. is that Brisbane may try to get a bid up for 2020/2024. The AOC seems happy to see their feasibility reports and will make a judgment based on the realistic chances of winning. I guess it comes down to this - if South America or Africa win a Games in the next few cycles then that will push any Aussie bid away for at least a decade. If we see Rio 2016 or 2020 then I doubt any Aussie bid will move ahead until the 2030's.

Personally I do not see Rio winning 2016. 2020 perhaps depending on the 2016 outcome and how the WC preperations go. Cape Town may bid for 2020 - then again they may bid with Durban for 2018 and wait to pay off the World Cup bills!!

So many variables.

Agreed. Telstra Dome shouldn't be left out of the bid and even if it was included for football it still seems like a waste.

I guess the AFL would expect to be compensated compensated in some way. Eitherway i don't see the harm in hosting the GF in Sydney and some of the lesser finals in Perth, Sydney, Brisbane, Geelong and possibly some of the older Victorian grounds...Optus Oval? Olympic Park?...the AFL would surely kick up a stink though.....If only Waverly Park was still alive and kicking.

I'm expecting an Australian bid by 2024. I don't expect anything serious until the 2030's ie; Melbourne 2024, Brisbane 2032.

oh and surely the State Netball Centre could be used for something...Its current capacity is 3,500 but surely some ground level seats could be installed to bump it up to 4,500-5,000...possibly for a sport that doesn't use too much room..ie; Boxing.

statenetballhockey1.jpg

The AFL moved its season in 2000 for the games in Sydney so they would have no problem doing the same for a Melbourne games in September. In 2000 the Grand Final was on Sep 2 leaving enough time to get the MCG ready for Olympic Football. I think a bid in the 2030's is more likley and by then the AFL will be very different compertition with less teams in Melbourne and more interest in the northern states so the Grand Final could be like the Superbowl and played in a different city every year.

The AFL moved its season in 2000 for the games in Sydney so they would have no problem doing the same for a Melbourne games in September. In 2000 the Grand Final was on Sep 2 leaving enough time to get the MCG ready for Olympic Football. I think a bid in the 2030's is more likley and by then the AFL will be very different compertition with less teams in Melbourne and more interest in the northern states so the Grand Final could be like the Superbowl and played in a different city every year.

I highly doubt the GF would be played in different cities, considering there is really only 2, soon 3 cities that could do it. Melbourne, Sydney and Perth (soon) would be the only cities with stadiums big enough.

As TNMP mentioned if Melbourne is to use the MCG the AFL season will have to start far earlier in the year, have the baulk of its finals interstate and a GF in Sydney.

I don't believe any teams will be moving out of Melbourne either. However, new teams are likely to be established in Western Sydney, Launceston and on the Gold Coast.

Well, the news item's a few weeks old, and I don't know if anything came of it (or even if it was confirmed), but moving the GF to ANZ may not exactly disadvantage tyhe AFL if this is true:

AFL launch secret bid to snare ANZ Stadium

Nick Markham | rugbyleaguelive.com

24/05/2008

The AFL has stepped up its push into rugby league territory by launching an secret bid to purchase ANZ Stadium at Homebush Bay.

According to News Limited reports, the AFL made a secret $200 million bid for the stadium that was rejected last year, but are understood to be preparing a revised offer ahead of the launch of its Western Sydney franchise in 2011.

The move couldn't come at a worse time fore the NRL, with CEO David Gallop revealing this week that several clubs are facing extinction because of drastic reductions in Leagues Club funding, brought about by the State Government's poker machine tax.

Several cash-strapped Sydney clubs rely heavily on ANZ Stadium's guaranteed $100 000-a-game to boost their struggling coffers.

The stadium currently plays host to five Sydney clubs, with 38 matches being played there per season. State of Origin I was also played there midweek.

The NRL's ongoing presence at the Homebush venue would be placed into severe doubt if the AFL were to gain control, especially given their continued relentless push into rugby league heartland.

When asked this week if the AFL was preparing to buy the Stadium, AFL chief Andrew Demetriou responded with a firm "no comment.''

A source close to the negotiations revealed to News Limited that the AFL want to do a similar deal to the one they have in place with Melbourne's Telstra Dome, in which they own a sizeable stake, and thus receive a cut of the turnover generated.

"They have an interest in establishing a team in Western Sydney, so it would make sense to buy ANZ Stadium," said the source.

"The effectively control the leasehold over Telstra Dome and its been their business plan to control stadia around Australia.

"They wanted to have a similar interest at ANZ Stadium but missed out the first time around."

NRL chief David Gallop conceded that an AFL-controlled ANZ Stadium "would be a concern" for rugby league.

Well, the news item's a few weeks old, and I don't know if anything came of it (or even if it was confirmed), but moving the GF to ANZ may not exactly disadvantage tyhe AFL if this is true:

I really dont (or didn't when i first read it) believe it. However if the AFL did buy ANZ it would spell significant troubles for the NRL...i would see a lot of teams going under unless the NRL struck some kind of support deal with a heap of private investors.

Then again the $750m the AFL got given last year for its TV rights has certainly given them some weight to throw around and i wouldn't be surprised at a move like this.

Ok, so a mid September bid would be a most likely winner. As for the AFL, the season would indeed have to begin earlier in the year (perhaps even forgoing the pre-season tournament), the athletics track would probably need at most a month to install, provided that for the most part it's simple installation as opposed to building from scratch. Then you got the possibility of having some sort of temporary underground level (or even permanent for that matter)m for ceremonies purposes, which may require more time, but this is merely being a little over ambitious.

With regards of the AFL moving its season earlier in the year for the 2000 Olympics, it was merely for the hosting of Football preliminaries, unlike an Olympics, which would require the installation of an athletics track like the Commonwealth Games.

Here's a radical thought, could Melbourne's new rectangular stadium be used as a venue? Aside from the obvious use as a Football (or even Rugby :)) venue, could it be used as say the Gymnastics venue? (which could warrant it having a retractable roof, for greater sporting and general use) A 31,500 seater Gymnastics venue.

Here's a radical thought, could Melbourne's new rectangular stadium be used as a venue? Aside from the obvious use as a Football (or even Rugby :) ) venue, could it be used as say the Gymnastics venue? (which could warrant it having a retractable roof, for greater sporting and general use) A 31,500 seater Gymnastics venue.

Why go to the trouble of putting a retractable roof on the football stadium (which is it has not been designed for) when you have a larger capacity Telstra Dome sitting right there. I seriously believe if Melbourne is going to host Telstra Dome will but shut, slipt up and set for competition! Most likely big name indoor sports like Gymnastics, Basketball and Volleyball

Like you haven't been here before.

Uhmm...44 years between Melbourne 56 and Sydney 2000.

USA = 300 mil vs. Australia = 23 mil?

NBC pays est. $1.5 bil for a pair of Games; how much does Oz pay?

USA is a northern country. In the south, uhmmm, So. America and southern Africa have yet to host...

Hello? :rolleyes:

Baron probably the best post for actual intelligence you have posted in a while. You best summing up of what the picture is in regards to Melbourne for 2020. It is all in the money. Lets face it if lets say Rio was to win for 2016 then it is very likely that the Games go to the USA next or Japan. If Toyko wins 2016 would most certainly go to the States or one of the frontier continents but most likely the US.

. Japan has not hosted the summer games since its single hosting in 1964. The United States is due as well simply from the standpoint as the big contributor or Revenues to the Games. Melbourne 2020 is pure fantasy because if lets say Rio was picked for 2016 then in 2020 you would have two of the largest economies in the world having been away from hosting the summer games in at least 55 years in Japans case and 23 years in Americas case.

Melbourne would atleast be into the 2030's or beyond. Before that you could probably have a gulf State take on these games, an african nation , a south american nation with a couple of hostings in europe which is normal and nature. Asia is some form would probably come into the picture as well.

India , Malaysia, Indonesia who knows. certainly not a population base of between 20 to 30 million hosting the summer games 3 times in one century. Heck the UK hasn't even done that in the heart of Europe or the untied states in regards to an actual bid election.

Jim jones

Besides, they've already played the 2 big cities in OZ, a smallish country, pop-wise. They moved from #2 to #1 -- and got a great Games. And then they'll move back to #2? It's not like there's a severe shortage of other capable cities in the world wanting to host, ya know.

This Torontitis thing has got to stop. The contagion is maddening.

Why go to the trouble of putting a retractable roof on the football stadium (which is it has not been designed for) when you have a larger capacity Telstra Dome sitting right there. I seriously believe if Melbourne is going to host Telstra Dome will but shut, slipt up and set for competition! Most likely big name indoor sports like Gymnastics, Basketball and Volleyball

Ok, here's an even more radical thought, what's the possibility of having Melbourne's Rectangular Stadium as a main pool? Have a temporary pool built into the pitch, in which the pitch is slightly lowered to allow for temporary stands with closer viewing. The capacity would be around 35,000+.

Diving events would be held at the Aquatics Centre and perhaps Waterpolo too.

By far the largest crowds for Swimming.

i realy like the idea of having the dome split and hosting 2 events. Just have to make sure u dont end up with tickets on level 3 up the back.

temporary seats on the field rather than using the stadium bowl. using some of the bowl might work but would cause more headaches. essentially create a temporary seating structure for basketball and gymnastics and aquatics.

the new football stadium could be used for hockey, equestrian,aquatics(maybe maybe),archery,bmx

temporary seats on the field rather than using the stadium bowl. using some of the bowl might work but would cause more headaches. essentially create a temporary seating structure for basketball and gymnastics and aquatics.

the new football stadium could be used for hockey, equestrian,aquatics(maybe maybe),archery,bmx

There are plenty of better looking locations for Archery...Hockey there is already an existing major hockey facilty...likewise aquatics (with the option of Telstra Dome).

If BMX fits into the venue i dont see why not it couldn't host it...would be handy being so close to Vodafone Arena also, given that its likely to be the track cycling venue in any Melbourne bid.

I'm not sure why the Exhibition centre is being under used i.e. only 30% of the space being used.

Its 30,000 sqm which can comfortably host 6 sports with training area space.

Arena 1: Badminton/Rythmic Gymnastics

Arena 2: Table Tennis/Taekwondo

Arena 3: Judo/Wrestling

Royal Exhibition Building: Fencing

;) still no Telstra Dome and some venues (ie; Royal Exhibition Centre) have far too many sports for the available space.

I dont think this plan is dareing at all.

Yes it is! A 35,000 seater swimming venue, by far the largest in Olympic history! As for the Old Exhibition Centre, I suppose Table Tennis and Taekwondo could be moved to the Exhibition Centre in a 3rd hall.

Yes it is! A 35,000 seater swimming venue, by far the largest in Olympic history! As for the Old Exhibition Centre, I suppose Table Tennis and Taekwondo could be moved to the Exhibition Centre in a 3rd hall.

The Royal Exhibition Centre would struggle to host more than one sport..even if it surficed to the IOC's pairing rules.

As for Telstra Dome...no you haven't. You have nominated Melbourne Rectangular Stadium...thats a strange...i thought they were different venues.

Also. If we're going to get SUPER tight on venue restrictions, Cycling and Vollyball cannot share venues...neither can Tennis and Basketball....unless the Games are longer than 16days. In a mock up i guess this is fine to show Melbournes capabilities, but i dont think it'd pass through the IOC.

21st September to October 6th 1996 ;)

Geee..Im glad Melbourne DIDNT get those 1996 Games......

On those above dates,Melbourne's weather is certainly not what you would associate with Summer Games

Average temperatures in Mebourne from 21 Sep 1996-6 Oct 1996 were

Min:13.0 Deg© (55degF)

Max:16.5 Deg© (62degF)

And it rained on 10/16 days

http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/MELBOURNE/948680.htm

Melbournes problem with getting another Olympic Games is always going to be timing.The IOC will never allow another November Games as they did in 1956,and even the AOC expressed concern way back in 1990 about having an Olympic Games in Melbourne in September.

Geee..Im glad Melbourne DIDNT get those 1996 Games......

On those above dates,Melbourne's weather is certainly not what you would associate with Summer Games

Average temperatures in Mebourne from 21 Sep 1996-6 Oct 1996 were

Min:13.0 Deg© (55degF)

Max:16.5 Deg© (62degF)

And it rained on 10/16 days

http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/MELBOURNE/948680.htm

Melbournes problem with getting another Olympic Games is always going to be timing.The IOC will never allow another November Games as they did in 1956,and even the AOC expressed concern way back in 1990 about having an Olympic Games in Melbourne in September.

Answer: Make as many venues as possible indoors...ie; USE FRICKING TELSTRA DOME!

Archived