Melbourne 2020

Lord David

Melbourne 2020? A possibility? I say this is Australia's next chance of successfully getting the games.

Here's a venue plan I made, which takes into account full use of possible existing venues, possible new venues, and temporary venues: (Note image is of large size)

Melbourne2020.jpg

Wadda ya think?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on the superb plan they produced for 96 and the fact that Melbourne keeps upgrading its exisiting venues and gaining experience in staging World class sports events (CWG 2006, FINA World Champs, Australian Open...), I have absolutely no doubt that Melbourne will host the Games again and should be Australia's next bid.

2020 might be a little early for the Games to head down under again but I can see them hosting within the next two to three decades.

Question though: when would Melbourne host the Games (is it doable in July/August)?

Based on the superb plan they produced for 96 and the fact that Melbourne keeps upgrading its exisiting venues and gaining experience in staging World class sports events (CWG 2006, FINA World Champs, Australian Open...), I have absolutely no doubt that Melbourne will host the Games again and should be Australia's next bid.

2020 might be a little early for the Games to head down under again but I can see them hosting within the next two to three decades.

Question though: when would Melbourne host the Games (is it doable in July/August)?

Yep, based on infrastructure and available venues, Melbourne should be AOC's first bid not Brisbane, should we bid for an Olympics again.

I'm sure we can win due to the success of the 2006 Commonwealth Games, other sporting events and greater venues than was shown in the 1996 bid.

As for hosting, it might work during July/August if the AFL has a break, but weather wise, not. I'd put in a March/April time slot similar to what was done for the Commonwealth Games (Provided that the AFL agrees that the MCG will not be available during the time period and would have to host matches in the Telstra Dome and other venues). This ensures no conflicts with the AFL finals season (the alternative would be September, which would make use of the MCG unavailable), no pushing back to October, and slightly greater chances of being a winner.

Ok, so some venues are a little low capacity, but I'm sure the IOC wouldn't mind. These plans are to maximize the amount of readily available venues without need of upgrade, expansion, or construction of a new venue (i.e the Multi-purpose Venue is readily available for use for Track Cycling in a 4,500 seater Velodrome, which is under IOC capacity and under the capacity for the Sydney 2000 Velodrome, but should be used to avoid the need to build a new venue, same goes for the Aquatics Centre (though if expansion is possible, it should be done)), popularity of the sport in Melbourne, Australia and expected ticket sales.

As for hosting, it might work during July/August if the AFL has a break, but weather wise, not. I'd put in a March/April time slot similar to what was done for the Commonwealth Games (Provided that the AFL agrees that the MCG will not be available during the time period and would have to host matches in the Telstra Dome and other venues). This ensures no conflicts with the AFL finals season (the alternative would be September, which would make use of the MCG unavailable), no pushing back to October, and slightly greater chances of being a winner.

Well my concern is that, given what just happened to Doha, it might not be acceptable by the IOC to have the Games that early in the year (unless of course the time slot was just an excuse for not including Doha...).

Just a though, to avoid the clash with the AFL/NRL, why not build a new stadium for athletics/ceremonies.

There are 9 teams AFL teams in Melbourne all capable of pulling at least 25,000 supporters to games. Even if the stadium was similar to London's with a reduction in seats following the Games. A site could surely be found somewhere in western Melbourne/West of Docklands. 40-50,000 capacity

leaving the tennecy for each stadium

MCG: Cricket, Melbourne FC, Richmond FC, Collingwood FC

Telstra Dome: Rugby, Melbourne Victory, Carlton FC, Geelong FC, Essendon FC

New Stadium: AAA/IAAF Athletics, North Melbourne, Hawthorn FC, Footscray FC, St Kilda FC

again, just a though. Would allow Melbourne to host in September or August. I'd think August to avoid major clash with the AFL which could take people away from attending Olympic events (vice-versa) and could create transport issues.

Just a though, to avoid the clash with the AFL/NRL, why not build a new stadium for athletics/ceremonies.

There are 9 teams AFL teams in Melbourne all capable of pulling at least 25,000 supporters to games. Even if the stadium was similar to London's with a reduction in seats following the Games. A site could surely be found somewhere in western Melbourne/West of Docklands. 40-50,000 capacity

leaving the tennecy for each stadium

MCG: Cricket, Melbourne FC, Richmond FC, Collingwood FC

Telstra Dome: Rugby, Melbourne Victory, Carlton FC, Geelong FC, Essendon FC

New Stadium: AAA/IAAF Athletics, North Melbourne, Hawthorn FC, Footscray FC, St Kilda FC

again, just a though. Would allow Melbourne to host in September or August. I'd think August to avoid major clash with the AFL which could take people away from attending Olympic events (vice-versa) and could create transport issues.

Well firstly, the MCG is the logical choice considering it's use as the 1956 Olympic venue and 2006 Commonwealth Games venue as the main stadium. It would avoid the devastation of building a new purpose built stadium for Athletics (Even if it were temporary). Costs in building such a venue could easily spiral out of control.

As for the concept of a new stadium, former VFL/AFL grounds are now getting multi-million dollar upgrades which by 2020, could mean some of the former venues could be used for AFL once again. Geelong's Kardinia Park could assist in covering for the MCG for the duration of the games.

As for August, it's not the matter about the July/August months, it's more a concern about weather and rainfall, which is during winter time and more frequent. However, climate changes by 2020 could be as such that weather during the winter months is rather mild ;)

I still think March/April is a better choice for the games.

Oh, and what, 2016 is too early for the US? Given the bid in 2012? Given the Winter Olympics in 2002? :P

Like you haven't been here before.

Uhmm...44 years between Melbourne 56 and Sydney 2000.

USA = 300 mil vs. Australia = 23 mil?

NBC pays est. $1.5 bil for a pair of Games; how much does Oz pay?

USA is a northern country. In the south, uhmmm, So. America and southern Africa have yet to host...

Hello? :rolleyes:

USA is a northern country. In the south, uhmmm, So. America and southern Africa have yet to host...

Channel 7 paid 5000 dollars for exclusive rights for the 2008 Beijing Olympics, which basically is a cameraman sent to Beijing, to film some events in the events they will make him watch. ;)

Channel 7 paid 5000 dollars for exclusive rights for the 2008 Beijing Olympics, which basically is a cameraman sent to Beijing, to film some events in the events they will make him watch. ;)

Well, there ya go. That's why a Melbourne 2020 will be very premature. I mean lining up the stadia on paper doesn't make for a feasible bid any time soon.

Agree with you there Baron. Not sure if the 44year case will hold up though. Pretty significant change in Australia's ability to host events since the 80-90's.

Well firstly, the MCG is the logical choice considering it's use as the 1956 Olympic venue and 2006 Commonwealth Games venue as the main stadium. It would avoid the devastation of building a new purpose built stadium for Athletics (Even if it were temporary). Costs in building such a venue could easily spiral out of control.

As for the concept of a new stadium, former VFL/AFL grounds are now getting multi-million dollar upgrades which by 2020, could mean some of the former venues could be used for AFL once again. Geelong's Kardinia Park could assist in covering for the MCG for the duration of the games.

As for August, it's not the matter about the July/August months, it's more a concern about weather and rainfall, which is during winter time and more frequent. However, climate changes by 2020 could be as such that weather during the winter months is rather mild ;)

I still think March/April is a better choice for the games.

March/April would never slide with the IOC. Simple. Get that idea out of your head.

The MCG IS THE LOGICAL CHOICE, but it probably wont allow Melbourne to put a bid forward within the IOC's current window. As for the "devastation of building a new purpose built stadium for Athletics"...Having 2-4major AFL tennants, maybe even rugby games wouldn't hurt. AAA is already moving to Albert Park so a new venue would allow for Melbourne to host big name Atheltics events without having to use the MCG.

Dont get me wrong, the MCG is fantastic and certainly would make a great Olympic venue again, it just may be more convenient to build a new venue-for the sake of all parties involved.

Melbourne 2020? A possibility? I say this is Australia's next chance of successfully getting the games.

Here's a venue plan I made, which takes into account full use of possible existing venues, possible new venues, and temporary venues: (Note image is of large size)

Melbourne2020.jpg

Wadda ya think?

MCG - perfectly fine, another new roof?

Football venues: all perfectly fine..unless permanent works at Canberra is needed for a world cup etc. keep it at 20,000

I think the use of the indoor venues should be maximized.

Rod Laver - Basketball(finals) and Gymnastics. Move Tennis outside and increase the Margaret court arena capacity to 10,000 temporarily. Not sure about the turn over time between tennis and Basketball. Is the State Gymnastics centre really planned?

Multi-purpose venue: dont think volleyball and track cycling can share. IOC volleyball benchmark is at 12,000?

Badminton and Tracy Cycling can share

Telstra Dome: split the field in two. Host swimming and diving events using temporary pools. Host the basketball event using temporary seats. Plenty of space.

Melbourne Exhibition Center: 30,000 sqm. Rather than 3 sports it could host 6 sports with including training areas. Would more accommodate 6 sports easily. Based on Sydney 2000's use of its exhibition centre, including fencing is possible based on the space requirements at the sydney exhibition centre for the 2000 games.

- badminton&rhythmic 10,000sqm

-table tennis &taekwondo 10,000sqm

- jude and wrestling 10,000 sqm

Option of including fencing

Royal Exhibition building? sqm? depending on space fencing,table tennis and taekwondo cant share a venue.

Could accommodate boxing/fencing.

Consider using the new football stadium for hockey competition/dressage events/bmx events.

Use the aquatic centre, olympic stadium, fencing venue etc for Modern Pentathlon. No need for additional venues.

I'm sure Melbourne has a few small community venues for athletics. Use these for BMX or archery and they become existing venues!

A 12,000 seat permanent hockey venue? Why cant temporary seating be added around the existing venue?

I think it’s a good bid and by far a better option the Brisbane. Would think a new Aquatics venue would be a must as 10000 seat and over 15 year old pool (in 2020) MSAC is not going to be big enough or new enough. Great for water polo but not swimming also a little worried about Multi purpose (vodafone arena) being a bit small for Olympic Cycling event.

With in the next 5 –10 years the MCG will have a new or refurbished Southern Stand and also think Tennis Australia are looking at major upgrades to Rod Laver/Melbourne Park. How would you feel about maybe playing Tennis at Kooyong on grass? Not quite as good as Tennis at Wimbledon but would free up Rod Laver for Basketball/Gymnastics.

Transport could also be a down side as I am sure most Melbournians would agree the current train system is not running that well and could take until 2020 to be fixed. By 2020 or 2024 major work will be needed on the tram system as well.

Timing I would think March or September would be the only options due to weather more so then AFL. AFL could have a late starting season that would run April to October for a March games or as they did for Sydney start early and finish in August this would free up both MCG and Telstra Dome

After living in Melbourne for a year I would think it is Australia’s best chance for hosting the games again and that a big call from someone who was born and grew up in Adelaide and we know how much crow eaters hate Vics!

Surely September would be the most logical time. March or April is fine for the Commonwealth Games which do have a tradition of being staged at different times of the year. But a Summer Olympics then? I just don't see the IOC or the big sporting bodies going for it.

Surely September would be the most logical time. March or April is fine for the Commonwealth Games which do have a tradition of being staged at different times of the year. But a Summer Olympics then? I just don't see the IOC or the big sporting bodies going for it.

September is the month of AFL's finals series. Moving the series for the sake of the Games is verging on political suicide for Melbourne's sporting culture. The AFL is a major powerbroker in Australia, particularly in Melbourne and you don't want to piss them off (members like Roland, may disagree). The AFL does a lot of good things for Melbourne.

Basically, the AFL has been using the MCG (or Melbourne) for its Final and much of its semi, preliminary and quater finals for the past 150years and putting it on hold/moving it to another month/location just isn't going to happen. It would be like shifting the FA Cup final from Wembley because the Commonwealths need a stadium for 2weeks.

As Mo has suggested, i would hope Melbournes bid uses both Telstra Dome and the new 30,000seat football stadium. Doing this, however would ultimately lead to staging the games outside of the IOC's desiered period. There is just no way the various sporting leagues, IOC and weather can be happy in Melbournes situation. The city is simply too packed with sport.

I meant September would be the most logical time for the Games. March or April is a non-starter. July and August would be dicey on the weather front and October seems to be out as well based on Doha's experience. September is probably the 'least worst' option.

Would have to agree with many on here that the IOC would never go with a March/April time slot. Other than the first Modern Games in Athens in 1896, no other Games has been held that early in the year.

Like others have said, it seems September is the most logical (like Sydney) that would fly with the IOC. And if that conflicts with local sports politics, then Melbourne would have to decide if they really want another Olympics.

What was Melbourne's 1996 bid proposed dates, anyway? Jeremie?

September is the month of AFL's finals series. Moving the series for the sake of the Games is verging on political suicide for Melbourne's sporting culture. The AFL is a major powerbroker in Australia, particularly in Melbourne and you don't want to piss them off (members like Roland, may disagree). The AFL does a lot of good things for Melbourne.

Basically, the AFL has been using the MCG (or Melbourne) for its Final and much of its semi, preliminary and quater finals for the past 150years and putting it on hold/moving it to another month/location just isn't going to happen. It would be like shifting the FA Cup final from Wembley because the Commonwealths need a stadium for 2weeks.

As Mo has suggested, i would hope Melbournes bid uses both Telstra Dome and the new 30,000seat football stadium. Doing this, however would ultimately lead to staging the games outside of the IOC's desiered period. There is just no way the various sporting leagues, IOC and weather can be happy in Melbournes situation. The city is simply too packed with sport.

Oh, I certainly don't disagree, Aaron. Of course the AFL rule south of the Murray and west of the Darling. It's only that troublesome northeastern corner that doesn't give a sh!t about them. I'm sure if there were an Olympics at stake, the AFL would compromise for the greater good _ maybe stagger the season early, and hold some finals around the traps _ maybe even, (gasp) as a one-off only, hold the Grand Final outside Victoria's sacred borders! It would really need to be September-October _ March-April just won't fly, not just broadcasting rights-wise up north of the equator but the whole world sports yearly calendar and schedules and routines would be stuffed up. And Melbourne in full-on mid-winter? Perish the thought!

IF a bid came for 2020, Melbourne also, of course, would be the most logical and well-credentialled host for Oz also, that goes without saying. But really 2020 is far, far too soon for us to start dreaming again. I still reckon 2030s at the earliest before we can really start planning with any chances of success, and more likely the 2040s. By that time, who knows what the other possible candidates will have in terms of facilities? I'd still like Brissie for the variety _ and that's nothing against Melbourne _ I actually like and enjoy Melbourne as a city far more than Brisbane. By then someone else (Perth?) may have staged a CWGs and have a lot of new facilities. Whatever, it'll depend on the times. But just to my preferences, I will always prefer a new host city to a retread.

Mega-brain wave...What if Melbourne proposed an opening date sometime around September 15th-20th for its games with the plan for the athletics competition to take place early in the games and also finish 2-3days earlier. With the remaining 2-3days stage the mens football final at the MCG and also the AFL Grand Final (which is always planned for the last Saturday in September). If a pitch for AFL could be prepared i would think this would be a fantastic "exhibition sport" for a Melbourne Olympics....infact AFL was played at the 1956 Games, just not on the scale nor importance of the Grand Final. If it could be done, are there any Australian's out there who think its a bad idea?

One problem i could see is in the event of a bit of violence in the match (as there usually is) things could get a little heated which doesnt sit well with the ideals of the Olympic Games.

Archived