Lets Get It Over With

I sincerely hope not! :huh:

If they take away the fun of speculating and analysing the possible outcomes...what will be the point of this forum?? :unsure:

Are we suggesting here that Rio is another Beijing? I don't know about that. It's a bit premature at the moment to be speculating such a scenario. And if so, then somebody needs to tell that to Obama. :lol:

I think the IOC should just announce tomorrow that 2016 is in Rio and 2020 to Cape Town so we don't have to listen to this, well they never hosted before crap.

I hope Cape Town wins votes whether it be sentimental or not. BUT I'd certainly not appreciate being shortlisted without meeting the technical benchmark. The games are a huge undertaking and success is NOT guranteed, even with a technically solid bid.

I'd prefer if we address the challenges an African city faces in hosting rather than sweeping it under the mat claiming its time for Africa to host.

Isn't that what FIFA did with the 'rotation policy' that's now stopped rotating once Africa and South America are hosting World Cups

God help us if Africa ever get the games imagin what James would be like :)

I still say winning hosting rights for the Olympics ought to be like winning an Olympic medal. You earn it through practice, preparation, and competition. Or corruption, like in figure skating. Not handed to you because you've never had one before and you cried really hard the last time you tried and lost.

regadless of a rotation policy, candidates must meet technical requirements. South Africa met those requirmenets with both bids. Whether the IOC ever does that and makes a strategic decision regarding the location of the Games, that city(s) must meet the technical requirements. If there is no need then Africa/ South America must beat out any city based when it comes to voting as South Africa almost did with its 2006 bid.

If the IOC wants to only allow African and South American bidders then each of those cities must meet technical requirements to shortlist.

Well, it's not like the IOC is going to automatically "hand" Rio the Games. I don't know why the absurd suggestions to the contrary. It's been discussed here before (not to mention that the IOC states this as well), that if a city makes the short-list, then they are "technically" capable of hosting the Games. So Rio is on it this time, so they @ least "meet" the minimal requirements this time around. Again, Beijing & Sochi were far from being the "best", but they were still "handed-over" the Games.

This is Rio's 3rd attempt (& Brazil's 4th) in the last 20 years & the first time Rio's ever made it this far. So I think suggesting that they are a shoe-in simply because they've never hosted is premature, to say the least. The last time there was a South American city on the short-list was 11 years ago. So the IOC doesn't seem to see it that way, either.

Well, it's not like the IOC is going to automatically "hand" Rio the Games. I don't know why the absurd suggestions to the contrary. It's been discussed here before (not to mention that the IOC states this as well), that if a city makes the short-list, then they are "technically" capable of hosting the Games. So Rio is on it this time, so they @ least "meet" the minimal requirements this time around. Again, Beijing & Sochi were far from being the "best", but they were still "handed-over" the Games.

This is Rio's 3rd attempt (& Brazil's 4th) in the last 20 years & the first time Rio's ever made it this far. So I think suggesting that they are a shoe-in simply because they've never hosted is premature, to say the least. The last time there was a South American city on the short-list was 11 years ago. So the IOC doesn't seem to see it that way, either.

Yeah, Rio was just thrown in (at the expense of Doha) so the IOC could at least say that they had 4 continents represented in the present race. I mean the locale is lovely and all that, and would certainly comply with the 'photogenic' needs dept. -- but the networks always find interesting stories and backdrops no matter what.

Yeah, Rio was just thrown in (at the expense of Doha) so the IOC could at least say that they had 4 continents represented in the present race. I mean the locale is lovely and all that, and would certainly comply with the 'photogenic' needs dept. -- but the networks always find interesting stories and backdrops no matter what.

mccain?

why would you want a president in 2008 to have the mindset of 1948.

uh well ellen..i dont support gay marriage..uh but i want you to be happy...uh. uh cough cough.

mccain?

why would you want a president in 2008 to have the mindset of 1948.

uh well ellen..i dont support gay marriage..uh but i want you to be happy...uh. uh cough cough.

So would politics work against Chicago for the 2016 bid ? well of course it would . If Obama loses and it is a bloody loss to Mc Cain the Chicago bid would certainly suffer. McCain even as someone who has requested PAC groups to cease low blow attacks on his behalf would still be a liability for he Chicago bid with the stance on Irag and Iran . Gay Marriage well that is a minor issue that adds on . Frankly the USOC's cut and the reluctance to resolve the revenue dispute will probably have more bearing negatively then McCains appearance on Ellens show.

jim jones

Archived