2016 Candidate Cities Analysis

-worst in terms of geopolitical fallout = potentially Chicago

-worst in terms of already having hosted the Games = Tokyo

-worst in terms of technical bid = Rio

i would actually say the "worst...having already hosted" would be Madrid or Chicago. Yes Tokyo is the only city to have ever held the games before, but Madrid is hurt by Barcelona, London, Sochi and Turin. Chicago likewise by SLC and Atlanta.

I guess there is case to say that Beijing and Nagano also put brakes on Tokyo's chances but i'd think if the IOC was going to pull "the too soon" card it would be on Madrid, not Tokyo.

We can also throw in Seoul against Tokyo if we're going to use that argument. But anyway, who's to really say how the IOC is going to vote. The organization is notoriously known to be HIGHLY *unpredictable*. So hence, any of the 4-2016 candidates can take this competition all the way to the bank!

We can also throw in Seoul against Tokyo if we're going to use that argument. But anyway, who's to really say how the IOC is going to vote. The organization is notoriously known to be HIGHLY *unpredictable*. So hence, any of the 4-2016 candidates can take this competition all the way to the bank!

I think we're pretty much on the mark for all the 'guestimating' we've done. (A few of us did guess the final 4. *ahem*) It's just really the final numbers that's hard to get a handle on. I know for Chicago's case, settling the revenues issue and having the US President show up would almost swing it.

I also think the new IOC members to join the ranks between now and 2009 might give us a better clue of how it will all unfold.

Where's Anderson Cooper and his CNN team when you need them?

The reason why I think Rio could win, is not so much it's beautiful location (although it doesn't hurt) but rather the fact that, if the Evaluation Commission confirms that it's not a too risky choice, it will be the opportunity to have the Games in South America for the first time, which would be a powerful symbol as well as a "feel good" factor for the IOC.

Touché!

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno. It could go so many ways, for so many reasons. Putting aside the bids of each city, here are some challenges for each of the 4:

Chicago: America is not loved everywhere at the moment, and enough IOC members are mad about the TV revenue sharing equation.

Tokyo: Pyeonchang 2018. If Korea goes for a third time, a lot of IOC members that would normally support Tokyo might park their vote elsewhere to shore up Pyeonchang's position.

Madrd: Europe again after Sochi and London

Rio: would be only the second OG awarded to a developing nation. Mexico City wasn't exactly flawless.

I'd only be confident saying Madrid should be toast. But at this point I'd say if Rio makes it to the final (2 candidate) ballot, they're dangerous. If it comes down to Tokyo v. Chicago, it's a toss up.

I still want Rio. :lol:

Tokyo: Pyeonchang 2018. If Korea goes for a third time, a lot of IOC members that would normally support Tokyo might park their vote elsewhere to shore up Pyeonchang's position.

They've snubbed PC twice already...if they really wanted PC that badly they would've given it to them by now. Theres no point throwing what would otherwise be Tokyo votes away for the sake of another city/town that they could've given the games to 2years ago.

I think Sochi proved the IOC isn't entirely convinced by PC.

Sochi just stole the show from Pyeongchang, just like Barack stole it from Hillary. It didn't necessarily have anything to do that the IOC wasn't entirely convinced with Pyeongchang. Sochi didn't exactly win by a landslide you know, far from it. The final vote (not to mention the 2010 one as well) was extremely close between the two, so I wouldn't exactly call it a "snub" . A 3rd consecutive bid from Pyeongchang would be very formidable.

Have you forgot China ? And I think South Korea was considered a developing nation when it hosted in 1988.

Yeah, exactly. And I wouldn't call Russia or Former Yugoslavia a haven of western amenities, either (even the IOC thinks so).

Sochi just stole the show from Pyeongchang, just like Barack stole it from Hillary. It didn't necessarily have anything to do that the IOC wasn't entirely convinced with Pyeongchang. Sochi didn't exactly win by a landslide you know, far from it. The final vote (not to mention the 2010 one as well) was extremely close between the two, so I wouldn't exactly call it a "snub" . A 3rd consecutive bid from Pyeongchang would be very formidable.

...If anyone was snubbed twice, it was Salzburg. Going down both times in the first round & by a large margin to boot.

...If anyone was snubbed twice, it was Salzburg. Going down both times in the first round & by a large margin to boot.

I think the Austrians should've gotten the hint by now/then that for a small country, they've had their share of WOG hostings. Same warning for Norway which also somehow thinks it's the center of the winter universe.

I think the Austrians should've gotten the hint by now/then that for a small country, they've had their share of WOG hostings. Same warning for Norway which also somehow thinks it's the center of the winter universe.

Newsflash Baron, Norway is the center of the winter universe, almost every sport was invented in Norway.

Ice Dancing? The only real valid winter sport in my book.

Curling?

The Gen X sports?

Synchornized FS? :blink:

I zonk sink so.

Skating, skiing, ski jumping, biathlon, Nordic combined all Norwegian inventions

Curling was Scotland

Ice Hockey was Canada

Archived