Usain Bolt

The young Jamaican set the world record in the 100m in NYC tonight at 9.72

I can proudly say... I was there!! 3rd straight year I've got to the track meet at Icahn Stadium, I'm still in disbelief he set the record, even after last year when Tyson Gay ran a wind-aided 9.75. It's gonna be some event in Beijing that not only are there several runners capable of winning the 100m, but many of them will probably be looking at Olympic or even World Record times.

I can proudly say... I was there!! 3rd straight year I've got to the track meet at Icahn Stadium, I'm still in disbelief he set the record, even after last year when Tyson Gay ran a wind-aided 9.75. It's gonna be some event in Beijing that not only are there several runners capable of winning the 100m, but many of them will probably be looking at Olympic or even World Record times.

The wind aided fastest time is 9.69.

And still, those still rolling-in world records leave a bad taste in my mouth. Especially if the 100 m record is beaten by not one, but two hundredths of a second.

I understand why people are cynical, but I can't pretend to like it.

I understand why people are cynical, but I can't pretend to like it.

It's a sad reflection these days that any record is pretty well greeted with suspicion at first, rather than just being wholehearedly celebrated. I must admit, 1988 and Ben Johnson pretty well killed my interest in the 100m _ since then, I do find it hard to accept any new record there on its merits. That said, I certainly hope this is above board.

I don't question every record, just the ones out of Russia, China and the US, the 3 highest drug cheating nations.

That's pretty selective, isn't it? And why are those the three highest drug cheating nations? -- Because they have large populations and thus more athletes who could possibly cheat. But that doesn't exculpate countries like Jamaica at all.

That's pretty selective, isn't it? And why are those the three highest drug cheating nations? -- Because they have large populations and thus more athletes who could possibly cheat. But that doesn't exculpate countries like Jamaica at all.

No because they have the longest and most spectacular history of drug use.

The USA has 139 doping cases on the international stage, this doesn't include the rampant drug use in domestic sports leagues and collegiate sport.

And the government controlled stigma surrounding China and repeated allegations of systematic drug programs, not to mention major scandals in aquatics.

Though I doubt many on this boards interest in doping, since there is a major doping scandal going on right now and it got little attention on here.

That has to be one of the best names in sport ever...Usain "Lightning" Bolt. And to think the 100m is not his best event, so if he qualifies in the 200 and 400m, his better events, in Beijing, he could concievably win all 3, he has that potential. Likely won't pull it off though.