Beijing

Last I heard, there were supposed to be about 2 dozen sites all over the City that will have large screen projection (esp for Ceremonies) plus cultural activities and festival type of events. I'm sure Tiananmen Square WON'T be one of these sites.

If you'll be in Beijing during the Games or anytime from now through September, check out the following site for cultural happenings and performances. Especially try to see something in "The Egg" (National Center for the Performing Arts). Tickets are bookable online but you'll have to do will-call or specify delivery somewhere in Beijing, or pickup at their offices (near east 2nd Ring Road and Dongzhimen). Very reputable, I use them all the time. Clicky here

Coca Cola always sets up a fans zone as well - I'd guess that is where that will be - or in the Green itself.

Yes, Coca-Cola is doing an interactive pavilion of some type, I think on the Olympic Green itself. I'm going to try to get a sneak preview of it (and the Green) in July.

The Coca-Cola pavilions are always very well put together and tend to have some pretty special interactive elements. I would also try to hunt down the Van/Lon/Sochi organisers suites for some pins. They dont tend to be open to the public but you can always hunt them down.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if Facebook website is banned in China?

Lately there have been a lot of problems accessing Facebook, reports coming in from all over China. There is a possibility that this will continue through the Games. You can get around blocking by proxy (but the Net Nannies tend to find and shut them down quickly, so you have to keep changing). Or, if you have access to a VPN/tunnel that is hosted outside China, you can try that. Of course, this assumes you are bring your own hardware with you.

So, jiejie -- are they giving refunds to Olympic tickets where you feel you were not satisfied with your event? Where you felt cheated?

You mean the kind of events where your favorite athlete didn't get on the podium!? Heh-heh, I wish there were refunds for that! Actually, this brings up an interesting comment on refunds. The only time this would happen--according to the official rules--is if an event is completely cancelled and not rescheduled. There is some sort of application form to fill and submit to BOCOG (or maybe to ticket agent of your country). However, I think anybody who wasn't an original buyer, who bought a ticket on the secondary market, has no recourse, as there is no official record of them buying a ticket.

Which brings up another question for those of you gurus of Games History....has a complete event cancellation (not just a reschedule) ever happened in the recent history of the Games? Short of natural or manmade disaster, I can't think of why this would happen. Inquiring minds want to know...

Which brings up another question for those of you gurus of Games History....has a complete event cancellation (not just a reschedule) ever happened in the recent history of the Games? Short of natural or manmade disaster, I can't think of why this would happen. Inquiring minds want to know...

Offhand, I don't know which events might have been cancelled in Munich 1972 due to the ISraeli athletes' massacre -- if any.