Yao Ming May Not Light The Cauldron

Recent reports on the afermath of the horrific killer earthquake in China produced the following story from CNN that may produce a new surprise at the Opening ceremony. A total unknown quake survivor may light the cauldron. (Or I would think, guided by Yao Ming -- as in the Albertville lighting.)

I guess the Earthen Warriors portion will incorporate an earthquake wherein the Warriors will rise from the crevices in the stadium floor!! :) They may also junk the bit about the smiling faces of 10,000 children.

Here's the relevant part from a CNN report:

Beijing organizers have declined to talk openly about specific changes they might make to the Olympics. Several top organizing officials declined interviews on the subject, but newspaper editorials and bloggers have been suggesting that a commemoration for the dead would help set the tone for the 17-day games. Some has even suggested that a quake survivor should light the Olympic cauldron on Aug. 8.

"I think it would be great if there were some program about the earthquake during the opening ceremony,'' said Mo Yingbin, a speaking on the street in central Shanghai. "It's very good to let the world know about the pain, the love and the tragedy the earthquake brought to us.''

Following a three-day mourning period, the Olympic torch relay resumed Thursday in Ningbo, an eastern port city that greeted the restart with a minute of silence. Organizers also announced a rejigged relay. Instead of mid-June, the torch will pass through earthquake-ravaged Sichuan province on Aug. 3-5 - just days before the opening ceremony.

"The earthquake killed so many people and caused so much damage. I think it should be a part of the Olympic opening ceremony,'' she said.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I always thought Yao Ming had "competition" with Liu Xiang (winner of China's first Athletics gold, and another poster-boy for these Games) and some other Chinese athletes for the honor of lighting the cauldron on August 8th. I mean, it's not like Yao Ming is not the only athlete/distinguished person that China have to choose from.

Unless, of course, it's been confirmed that Ming is the one.

Who? :blink: Who's that?

She’s a Chinese gymnast that lost her chance at an Olympic medal(s) due to a an injury she suffered back in 1998 that left her in a wheelchair She's now very well known in China, advocates for the disable, was an "ambassador" for Beijing's 2008 bid, and hosts her own show about the Games.

But, I believe she will be / has already been a torchbearer somewhere in the relay.

She’s a Chinese gymnast that lost her chance at an Olympic medal(s) due to a an injury she suffered back in 1998 that left her in a wheelchair She's now very well known in China, advocates for the disable, was an "ambassador" for Beijing's 2008 bid, and hosts her own show about the Games.

But, I believe she will be / has already been a torchbearer somewhere in the relay.

Oh, was she the one who got injured at the Goodwill Games on Long Island? If she's the same one, maybe they're saving her for the Paralympics? I mean having her on the 'regular' Olympics might only highlight the dangers that go with sport.

Oh, was she the one who got injured at the Goodwill Games on Long Island? If she's the same one, maybe they're saving her for the Paralympics? I mean having her on the 'regular' Olympics might only highlight the dangers that go with sport.

Yeah, that's her.

And on the topic of whether or not they should mention the earthquake during the Opening Ceremony, I say no. The last leg of the torch really before the flame enters Beijing has already been moved to the area devastated by the earthquake. That's great, but isn't that enough disaster exposure through these Games? I hate to say it, but why keep SO relevant? I mean really, set the TONE for next two weeks? :blink: A bit too much, I think.

I guess the Earthen Warriors portion will incorporate an earthquake wherein the Warriors will rise from the crevices in the stadium floor!! :) They may also junk the bit about the smiling faces of 10,000 children.

Funny you should say that. When I went to see the latest Indiana Jones on the weekend, they showed a trailer for the latest Brandan Fraser Mummy movie, The Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. Seems to be set in China, and this time indeed the terracotta army rises from their graves to fight:

film_mausoleum.jpg

2353_D032_15521.JPG

2353_D072_29054.JPG

Funny you should say that. When I went to see the latest Indiana Jones on the weekend, they showed a trailer for the latest Brandan Fraser Mummy movie, The Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. Seems to be set in China, and this time indeed the terracotta army rises from their graves to fight:

2353_D032_15521.JPG

There's a 3rd MUMMY movie? How's Brendan's hairline?

Who's the kid in the pic?