Opening Ceremony Details

anno

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, one of the performers expressed on her blog that the overall ceremony would be quite amazing, expecially those huge installation art pieces and the flying artistis

I don't think she has seen the entire Program. They NEVER rehearse all the segments together until the very last 2 dress rehearsals. This is so that if there is any leakage, it is contained only to certain segments -- not the whole show.

In the final 2 or 3 dress rehearsals, they bring all the sections together, thus the performers will be able to see the entire production -- and more word will leak out then.

No massperformers, but a cool concept similar to Athens.

Uhmmm, they recruited 50,000 performers, remember? and something like 100,000 costumes or so. (Stats are both Cermonies) And no mass performers? :rolleyes: What? They suddenly dropped those stats?

And I really wouldn't pattern it after Athens. That's from a country of some 11 million; this new edition is from a country 130x bigger than Greece. And of course they will say that Athens set the bar high. It was the last Summer one. Besides that 'dolls on platforms' show (the Klepsydsara (sp?) portion) of Athens I would not call the most exciting or innovative in history.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Oi Barron... Dolls on platforms? Your statements can be so unpretentious sometimes. You just can understand that technology doesnt ends in itself. It is just a medium that it is sometimes necessary for the dramaturgy. The "dolls on platforms" part of the Ceremony was meant to be as simple as a dreamlike passage through time where people only concentrate on the fine movements of the passage and the performers. As for the rest of the Ceremony; the olimpic rings of fire, the lake with 2,162,000 liters of water drained in less then 2 minutes, the giant Cycladic head brokes in pieces which are floating and moving in the whole stadium, the fountain of water and the hologramic presentation of the DNA Double Helix, a special lighting system underneath the pool, the staging system utilizing a complex network of automated cables that lifted, maneuvered, and choreographed the floating pieces of sculpture and the torchbearers, a Parade of Nations with a completely new sound, a lighting design which was awarded with an Emmy.... And this is just a technical part of the Ceremony. We are not talking about the dramaturgy, the artistic value, the symbolism and the message of the Ceremony.

So please, get real.. If this wasnt an innovative Opening Ceremony then i dont know what you was watching...

About the Pictures above:

the giant earth.. It seems like this will be a "global torch relay" section!?? I hope not.. Because if it is then it would be a complete copy of Athens floating torchbearers moving to the giant globe screen in the middle of the stadium...

Paper-like screen: This looks very interesting.. Is it a projection surface or can ot display pictures itselve?

The projection system of the roof is also great. I am sure that those are just test images..

I hope there's again a part with a giant olympic flag over all athletes.

Oh God, please not! Isn't three times (Barcelona 1992, Sydney 2000, Athens 2004) enough already? A giant flag is absolutely not innovative anymore. Time to think about other symbols for global unity!

Oh God, please not! Isn't three times (Barcelona 1992, Sydney 2000, Athens 2004) enough already? A giant flag is absolutely not innovative anymore. Time to think about other symbols for global unity!

what about a giant rainbow coloured condom?

the giant earth.. It seems like this will be a "global torch relay" section!?? I hope not.. Because if it is then it would be a complete copy of Athens floating torchbearers moving to the giant globe screen in the middle of the stadium...

I absolutely don't believe that they'll make a complete copy of Athens. Did you notice that on the picture above, there are people running on that globe, some even upside down since they are in the "southern hemisphere"? I think it will be a symbol of global unity once more, but with a different spin. And remember, Athens hadn't the only ceremony with such a concept. Lillehammer had it as well, with the large egg on which a map of the earth was projected and which contained the doves of peace. And also Sydney had a big globe -- in the closing ceremony, that octagonal (or hexagonal?) cube in the middle of the field.

By the way: Am I the only one here who is surprised that they allowed those pictures to be leaked, after all their security measures to seal the stadium off during the rehearsals?

I absolutely don't believe that they'll make a complete copy of Athens. Did you notice that on the picture above, there are people running on that globe, some even upside down since they are in the "southern hemisphere"? I think it will be a symbol of global unity once more, but with a different spin. And remember, Athens hadn't the only ceremony with such a concept. Lillehammer had it as well, with the large egg on which a map of the earth was projected and which contained the doves of peace. And also Sydney had a big globe -- in the closing ceremony, that octagonal (or hexagonal?) cube in the middle of the field.

By the way: Am I the only one here who is surprised that they allowed those pictures to be leaked, after all their security measures to seal the stadium off during the rehearsals?

Yeah i did notice that. I just said it would be very obvious copied if they let torchbearers walk on and fly to a globe. You can see all the performers raising a hand in the air like they are holding a torch..

Interesting photo.

I know most see it a a giant globe, which I imagine will be one of its purposes, perhaps cud also be some sort of Chinese lantern, looks good none the less.

Oi Barron... Dolls on platforms? Your statements can be so unpretentious sometimes. You just can understand that technology doesnt ends in itself. It is just a medium that it is sometimes necessary for the dramaturgy. The "dolls on platforms" part of the Ceremony was meant to be as simple as a dreamlike passage through time where people only concentrate on the fine movements of the passage and the performers. As for the rest of the Ceremony; the olimpic rings of fire, the lake with 2,162,000 liters of water drained in less then 2 minutes, the giant Cycladic head brokes in pieces which are floating and moving in the whole stadium, the fountain of water and the hologramic presentation of the DNA Double Helix, a special lighting system underneath the pool, the staging system utilizing a complex network of automated cables that lifted, maneuvered, and choreographed the floating pieces of sculpture and the torchbearers, a Parade of Nations with a completely new sound, a lighting design which was awarded with an Emmy.... And this is just a technical part of the Ceremony. We are not talking about the dramaturgy, the artistic value, the symbolism and the message of the Ceremony.

So please, get real.. If this wasnt an innovative Opening Ceremony then i dont know what you was watching...

Savas, don't get too defensive. We've been thru this before. I've stated my opinions about Athens before - and I will state them again. There were very many innovative portions of Athens -- sure; never attempted before. But to me it's got to be more than that. The Klepsydra or however that is spelled, looks OK on close-up on TV; but as live spectacle in a giant stadium, it is dull and DOESN'T work. Yes, there were a few showy moments but I found those cold and sterile. Overall, the parts DIDN'T add to up to a whole. The show lacked joy, spontaniety and EXUBERANCE (there was a bit of that in the Closing).

I am entitled to my opinions, just as you are. My opnions of Athens haven't changed nor will they. Respect them just as I respect yours. Maybe you don't like green; and I like it (just hypothetically) -- that doesn't mean we can't coexist or be neightbors. That's what makes the world interesting -- differing opinions and POVs.

Just as I am sure there will be many people now (mostly who will be seeing an O Ceremony for the first time) who will be bowled over by Beijing and like, Samaranch sheep, pronounce it the BEST EVER show in the Universe when of course, it will be surpassed by future Ceremonies. Each one gets bigger than the other -- not necessarily better. (But that's jsut according to one's own conjecture.)

Each OC is different from the others. We all have our preferences, just as the Ric Birchs, Jack Mortons, Zhang Yimous of the world I am sure HAVE their own personal favorites as well.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Giant Earth Installation

saudifree_572bf.jpg

They could be holding "torches" (but for a rehearsal, why aren't they already doing that? If anything, having 'torches' in hand during rehearsals would give the performers better balance and be an actual simulation to the actual thing). So I don't think these guys/gals around the 'globe/lantern' will be holding torches a la Athens.

I'm wondering if, let's say Yao Ming, for the sake of argument - lights the top of the inside tower at ground level; then the whole contraption rises (pulled by the rising tower) like an expanding paper lantern. And then when the orb is fully expanded; and these human flies have done their whatever...things...with their torches (altho I would think that is very risky with this very fragile 'globe') or little lanterns, the flame on top (so on the North Pole so to speak), then zips over to the cauldron on the roof; and that thingy on the roof then bursts into fireworks and flame!!

And look -- there are 2 human 'flies' floating above the 'globe'!! Maybe they will carry the flame from the 'earth' to the 'heavens' (roof)???

I guess the message is that: GLOBAL WARMING is coming since the flame will sit on the top of this sphere, and it will burn on the roof!! :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

So why did they seal the whole stadium off with such strict security measures but allowed such pictures to be leaked (or even to be made)?

It's not that BOCOG 'allowed' the pictures to be leaked. It's that with the proliferation of cell phone-cameras or other little micro-cameras, workers or the preformers themselves CAN take these photos surreptitously and then dissseminate them. (I know I did that in Atlanta but that was before I could afford the earlier, more expensive digital cameras. I had the disposable old film-type camera; and I took a few which I managed to sell to a Japanese netwrok. He-he-he. Atlanta wouldn't pay me; so I figured, hey, I'll make a little money somehow!! He-he..)

Of course, it's not what BOCOG wants, but UNLESS you physically search all the performers before EACH and EVERY rehearsal -- which is logistically not possible; and the performers might rebel at such an idea; THERE IS REALLY NO WAY to keep performacnes of these magnitude iron-clad in secrecy. And of course, the news services will pay highly for such scoop photos!!

And with the propensity of the younger generation to click away AND post on the net anything and everything, this will always HAPPEN especially in every Olympic Ceremonies.

Now, if they paid EVERYONE, then they could DEMAND more stringent measures and probably BODY-SEARCH everyone before AND after every rehearsal to make the whole process TOTALLY iron-clad.

And this is what I was saying about the ridiculous security measures outside: what is the point when there are 'moles' inside? Just shows the unadaptable mindset of the CHinese.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It's not that BOCOG 'allowed' the pictures to be leaked. It's that with the proliferation of cell phone-cameras or other little micro-cameras, workers or the preformers themselves CAN take these photos surreptitously and then dissseminate them. Of course, it's not what BOCOG wants, but UNLESS you physically search all the performers before EACH and EVERY rehearsal -- which is logistically not possible; and the performers might rebel at such an idea; THERE IS REALLY NO WAY to keep performacnes of these magnitude iron-clad in secrecy.

And with the propensity of the younger generation to click away AND post on the net anything and everything, this will always HAPPEN especially in every Olympic Ceremonies.

Now, if they paid EVERYONE, then they could DEMAND more stringent measures and probably BODY-SEARCH everyone before AND after every rehearsal to make the whole process TOTALLY iron-clad.

And this is what I was saying about the ridiculous security measures outside: what is the point when there are 'moles' inside? Just shows the unadaptable mindset of the CHinese.

lol, you made my day. But actually that's just the modern mindset of the Chinese anyway.

well~about your vision from those pics, I still believe Zhang and his team really got some excited and cool concepts to play on. And to present a Athens-like ceremony for China is just too huge. Almost 5000 years history and different kinds of philosophy may confuses eurocentric audiences, especially for the young people worldwide, and IOC suggested his team to be playing cool around the whole theme. So it might be really fun but also touching~well, No sterotypes after all, that's what Zhang said in a documentary

Lol... sorry this looks like this first olympic aerobic contest!! :lol: Sorry just a joke!

Woa, Barron you let almost speechless. i just wasnt prepared for such a mature answer from you!! :P

You can think what you want and have every opinion you want. My reaction is on the way you talk about something you dont like.. You dont have to use a derogatory tone such "dolls in plattforms" when you are refering to "Clepsydra" a word you "accidental" write wrong every time. Demoting of what you dont like or dont understand doesnt make your opinion stronger!

Lol... sorry this looks like this first olympic aerobic contest!! :lol: Sorry just a joke!

Woa, Barron you let almost speechless. i just wasnt prepared for such a mature answer from you!! :P

You can think what you want and have every opinion you want. My reaction is on the way you talk about something you dont like.. You dont have to use a derogatory tone such "dolls in plattforms" when you are refering to "Clepsydra" a word you "accidental" write wrong every time. Demoting of what you dont like or dont understand doesnt make your opinion stronger!

Savas, those were the actual words of someone who was there and actually saw it from higher up. Now, I only saw it on TV of course. But as I could imagine what it looked like from farther up, I thought her words were MOST APT. You know, savas, you can't really choose or legislate how one person articulates or chooses to describe some event or other. You have to give the other person the benefit of the doubt -- after all, he/she too has been gifted by God with a mind and a tongue of their own, as you have.

So... you'll just have to accept it. ;)

I have to agree with Baron on this one.

Depending on where you were seated in the Stadium, you didn't necessarily have a good view on Clepsydra: for example, at the Dress Rehearsal, I was sitting right above the athletes entrance and it was not the greatest place to enjoy Clepsydra (one of the reason being that the statutes started moving only in front of the official stand).

Athens Opening remains however my favourite Opening: not the most spectacular but the one that has touched me the most.

I have to agree with Baron on this one.

Depending on where you were seated in the Stadium, you didn't necessarily have a good view on Clepsydra: for example, at the Dress Rehearsal, I was sitting right above the athletes entrance and it was not the greatest place to enjoy Clepsydra (one of the reason being that the statutes started moving only in front of the official stand).

Athens Opening remains however my favourite Opening: not the most spectacular but the one that has touched me the most.

I thought the Athens opening was amazing with the flooding of the stadium to begin with!

I for one although I loved all Barcelona, Athens and Sydney OC in a different way can not wait until I see the Beijing opening ceremony.

I think it will be very impressive and totally different to any of the previous ones. It is the time for China to show itself to the world.

The only sad part is, and this does not apply only to Beijing but pretty much to all previous and future hosts that the Olympics have become an advertisement or some might say a mean of propaganda and much less a pure athletic (dopping or not included) event.

P.S. Katerina Thanou will take part in this Olympics :blink: ! Enjoy!