Opening Ceremony Details

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally someone is going to repear Athens 1997. There was a video yesterday on TV and the floor of the stadium (white as we see it) it turns into different patterns, colours etc.

Cool I think!

Also Greek newspaper say tha the ceremony will last 3,5 hours. One hour will be the artistic part, splitted in 2 halfs. The first is about the tradition of China, the second one Modern China. The other 2,5 hours are for the parade and the flag, flame, speeches etc.

So, talking about the duration, it will be our average kind of ceremony. Hmmm not impressed, specially since members of the IOC like Samaranch complained some years ago about the excesive lenght of the ceremonies (specially on the parade of nations). Anyway, if it's short, then it must be the double of good 8D.

About the scotties, too predictable, i was expecting bagpipes for the handover segment anyway xD

The ceremony will start at 8:00 p.m. and will last about three and half hours, with China's Liu Huan and Sarah Brightman from Britain chosen to sing the theme song, said Zhang Heping, director of the BOCOG Opening and Closing Ceremonies Department at a press conference.

so it will not start anymore at 08:08:08 ???

Chinese will pay Pakistan contingent a special tribute at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games on August 8 for their support and warm help during the earthquake in Wenchuan, Sichuan on May 12.

"While athletes from different countries will be entering the National Stadium in order, please do not forget about this country (Pakistan) - Please all Chinese do stand and salute to Pakistan," Beijing Olympic Organizing Committee said in a statement on Monday.

That was probably for the closing -- NOT UNLESS they're doing an international number with the One World, One Dream sequence.

Naaaaah you think? :lol: that would be such a copycat of Hand in Hand of Seoul 1988 (not to mention stereotypical)

Naaaaah you think? :lol: that would be such a copycat of Hand in Hand of Seoul 1988 (not to mention stereotypical)

Well, with that giant, inflatable globe -- and attempting to show that the modern China is part of the community of nations, why NOT? Other Olympic Ceremonies have attempted to portray 'universality ' -- but not the Karmic kind. ;)

Press Conference: Preparation Work for the Opening Ceremony of the Games

They mentioned in there that the Ceremony will not begin at 8:08 PM. I don't know where people got that from - even my local NBC station mentioned today that it would begin at that time. :blink:

THere is a pre-show that would start at 5-7pm, composed of dance/ cultural presentations from the 30+ ethnice tribes and regions. I think it's not considered the formal ceremony but some countries would broadcast them as well. 7pm is when they would clear the field, welcome the guests and prepare for the official ceremony to start at 8:08pm.

When it broadcasts on NBC, I think it's possible the opening ceremony won't begin until around 8:30pm. They say will be about 3.5 hour, but NBC's schedule is from 7:30-12. That is 4.5 hours. In 2006, NBC started in the studio. The first 40 minutes was a USA time trials (for one of the events), an interview with Michelle Kwan, & showing a Shaun White practice session.

When it broadcasts on NBC, I think it's possible the opening ceremony won't begin until around 8:30pm. They say will be about 3.5 hour, but NBC's schedule is from 7:30-12. That is 4.5 hours. In 2006, NBC started in the studio. The first 40 minutes was a USA time trials (for one of the events), an interview with Michelle Kwan, & showing a Shaun White practice session.

Doesn't NBC have a post-ceremony coverage as well? And by the way, the 3.5 hours are only approximated anyway. In reality, the ceremony will rather take four hours or more. There are always delays, especially due to the parade of nations when the athletes march slower than predicted.

I'm so excited for tomorrow, I know the Chinese will put on a jaw dropping ceremony ! I love the Openings since I was a child (Barcelona 92 the first one that I remember)

And I also think that will last more than 4 hours .

Actually it will be three hours and thirty minutes, altough the cultural part will last 1 hour

Doesn't NBC have a post-ceremony coverage as well? And by the way, the 3.5 hours are only approximated anyway. In reality, the ceremony will rather take four hours or more. There are always delays, especially due to the parade of nations when the athletes march slower than predicted.

NBC is airing it on a 11.5 hours delay. It is set to end at midnight ET. Additional TV coverage doesn't resume until 2 hours later when CNBC airs live boxing & USA airs the morning medal events (on a tape delay) & eventually live team USA action (soccer/basketball).

My brother works for the digital imaging company that provided the screens and projectors for the Opening Ceremonies. He wasn't completely clear, but floor projection screens seem to be part of the plan.

My brother works for the digital imaging company that provided the screens and projectors for the Opening Ceremonies. He wasn't completely clear, but floor projection screens seem to be part of the plan.

Yeah, I do believe we will see the most technically versatile, interactive massive stage floor EVER!!!

Do you remember when we were talking about the names of the different segments?

TVE talks about the "numbers" of the opening ceremony (some of them are ridculous like "1 director, Zhang Yimou" or "0 rain?", yes, the symbol "?" is also included). Well, they say there will be 3000 schoolboys in the segment "Writing" and 1000 actors in the segment "Starlights", here's when those green people build the Bird's Nest. So we already know the name of two segments... ^_^

• 5 months later...

Boy, it looks like some people do not understand the strict rules BOCOG and related entities are saying about uploading Beijing 2008 Olympic Games opening ceremony clips at YouTube. It is a battle between them and the uploaders, which the clips keep on getting deleted AT THIS TIME!

Here is an example I found of the beginning: Beijing 2008 Opening Ceremony Clip Example