Opening Ceremony Details

anno

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow,in the video of the rehearsal, We could see Jakey Chan and Han Hong singing a song together.

ive heard the song some times a few weeks ago, this song called "Stand Up" from the first Chinese Olympic movie "THE ONE"

If opening ceremony had this song, Jakey Chan, Han Hong, Leehom Wang, Stefanie Sun would sing it together.

1211164329990_30806.jpg

Yao Ming will be/has been a torch bearer during the flame's first leg through Beijing on Wednesday.

So I think it's safe to say he won't light the cauldron.

Lol :lol: i just was going to post the same but someone took advantage of me hehehe

Anyway here's the pic:

1217986051825_1217986051825_r.jpg

Sorry dudes, no Yao Ming lightning the cauldron

Yao Ming will be/has been a torch bearer during the flame's first leg through Beijing on Wednesday.

So I think it's safe to say he won't light the cauldron.

Not true. In 1984, when the Flame arrived in New York City, Rafer Johnson hosted the short welcoming progam. The first ones to run it, jointly, were Gina Hemphill, Jessie Owens' grandaughter, and Bill Thorpe, Jr., the grandson of Jim THorpe.

At the Opening Ceremony in Los Angeles, Gina Hemphill brought it into the Coliseum and then handed it off to the final runner, Rafer Johnson.

So, she and Johnson served as bookends to the 1984 Summer Torch Relay.

So this early Yao Ming thing COULD BE a smokescreen.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Not true. In 1984, when the Flame arrived in New York City, Rafer Johnson hosted the short welcoming progam. The first ones to run it, jointly, were Gina Hemphill, Jessie Owens' grandaughter, and Bill Thorpe, Jr., the grandson of Jim THorpe.

At the Opening Ceremony in Los Angeles, Gina Hemphill brought it into the Coliseum and then handed it off to the final runner, Rafer Johnson.

So, she and Johnson served as bookends to the 1984 Summer Torch Relay.

What you say is true, however if he's going to carry the torch on the Bird Nest, he will certainly not be the one who lights the cauldron. The final torchbearer were never used, as far as i know, during the relay legs before the great day.

What you say is true, however if he's going to carry the torch on the Bird Nest, he will certainly not be the one who lights the cauldron. The final torchbearer were never used, as far as i know, during the relay legs before the great day.

well, women did NOT participate in the first Olympics... they never had a pond in an Olympic stadium before... the cauldron NEVER rose out of the water... the Olympics have never been held in China..., so... :blink:

Eh it could be, but why bother? With just hours to go, it's not like the media or the general public is now exceedingly predicting that it will be him. They, for one, realize that Chin's athletic talent doesn’t begin and end with Yao Ming…

Eh it could be, but why bother? With just hours to go, it's not like the media or the general public is now exceedingly predicting that it will be him. They, for one, realize that Chin's athletic talent doesn’t begin and end with Yao Ming…

Not everyone in CHina attaches great signifcance to an early or late carrying of the torch as some of you here do. Everything so far is geared to what will make China shine internationally - and Yao Ming is a proven entity. He doesn't have to be sold unlike the what's-her-name Liu Xiang or whatever...

Did announcers have to explain who Epi was in Barcelona? Midori Ito of Japan? Muhammed Ali in Atlanta? Cathy Freeman? The 1980 US Hockey team? etc., etc.? No. Their names spoke for themselves.

Only what's-his-name, Karamanaklis... or something, really a "B" star in a "B" sport, had to be explained...and that was because Kenteris had this dark cloud hanging over him. And then spinning that story about he was a "water" athlete so it was in keeping with the marine theme of those Games. Yeah; right. Couldn't have fooled me.

Unless there is some weird background tale, I think Yao Ming is/was the first choice.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Not everyone in CHina attaches great signifcance to an early or late carrying of the torch as some of you here do. Everything so far is geared to what will make China shine internationally - and Yao Ming is a proven entity. He doesn't have to be sold unlike the what's-her-name Liu Xiang or whatever...

Did announcers have to explain who Epi was in Barcelona? Midori Ito of Japan? Muhammed Ali in Atlanta? Cathy Freeman? The 1980 US Hockey team? etc., etc.? No. Their names spoke for themselves.

Only what's-his-name, Karamanaklis... or something, really a "B" star in a "B" sport, had to be explained...and that was because Kenteris had this dark cloud hanging over him. And then spinning that story about he was a "water" athlete so it was in keeping with the marine theme of those Games. Yeah; right. Couldn't have fooled me.

Unless there is some weird background tale, I think Yao Ming is/was the first choice.

Probably, but is there some obscure historical Chinese athlete we are missing?

Sohn Kee-chung was somewhat of a surprise during Seoul. Although he didn't actually light it. And I can't tell you right now who did . . .

Edited by LA84

Only a small deflection from the opening to the medal ceremonies:

The music for the medal ceremonies has been announced. It will consist of four different pieces, including the famous "Jasmine Flower" song, which will play during the awarding of the medals itself.

After the award ceremony starts, the admission music is played as the winning athletes return to the playing field. This music is composed by Wang Hesheng. The admission music takes advantage of orchestral music and instrumental arrangements and rising and falling rhythms will stir the soul of both spectators and athletes alike. It has very strong and clear rhythm and can creates a very cheerful atmosphere. It can lead you to the award part which is the medal presenting music. This music is played on the course of the award ceremony.

Award ceremony music is played in the course of award ceremony. Tan Dun has made a harmonious integration of sounds from serial bells and jade musical stones with sweet melody of Jasmine so as to create a grand, solemn and sacred atmosphere for the successful athletes. Compared with the music resounding in award ceremonies from previous Olympic Games, Tan's music has taken a unique style, which fully demonstrates the characteristics of Chinese culture.

At the end of each award ceremony, march-out music is played when athletes leave the field of play. March-out music for the Games, with Tan Dun as its composer, is a joyful tune with chimes as its lively rhythm. Tan has achieved organic unity of the epoch-marking meaning which is creditably an excellent work integrating music art and sports elements.

Sources:

http://en.beijing2008.cn/live/pressconfere...214504495.shtml

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=3...p;type=National

Also, here are some information about the national anthems played at the Games and the flower bouquets awarded at the medal ceremonies.

http://en.beijing2008.cn/bocog/bocognews/h...214470155.shtml

http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/official/pre...214479691.shtml

Probably, but is there some obscure historical Chinese athlete we are missing?

Sohn Kee-chung was somewhat of a surprise during Seoul. Although he didn't actually light it. And I can't tell you right now who did . . .

Of course, the other angle is: some kid or person who was trapped in that recent earthquake in Xinhua for like 18 hours or so and then survived -- and so is now a legendary 'survivor' in China. That could be the 'surprise' torchbearer (thus expiating whatever guilt China may have in these all-or-nothing staging ofthe Games and dethroning Yao Ming for the singular honor.)

Surely the 'surprise survivor's story will, like, match the 'phoenix' theme of the lighting -- from the ashes, rubble of history, the Chinese spirit survives or ya know, good mumbo-jumbo like that... ;)

Or it could also be a double final-run a la Montreal -- with an athlete and a 'survivor' running the final lap together.

But we will certainly know by the time China enters in the Parade of Nations if Yao is the flag-bearer or not -- then he will or won't be the Final Torchbearer.

Edited by baron-pierreIV