Opening Ceremony Details

anno

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any kind of program with the name of each segment in the ceremony? I mean, in Athens it was "Allegory", "Clepsydra"... In Turin, as Wikipedia says:

1. Rhythm of passion

2. Greetings from the Alps

3. Italy (flag, anthem...)

4. Torino Olympic City (the giant skier)

5. Olympic spirit

6. Heroes of our time (the parade)

7. From Renaissance to Baroque

8. From Futurism to Future (...I liked it a lot)

9. Pit Stop

10. Words and Symbols

11. Peace

12. Light the passion

13. Fortissimo

And I can't find something like that with Beijing's opening ceremony.

...3 days to go...

Athan, don't compare Torino's script with Beijing's -- otherwise you will be sorely disappointed. There will probablity be some similarities in terms of elements common to all Olympic Ceremonies -- the appearance of the 5 rings, youth, energy, sport, etc. -- after all these are the Olympics. But from what we know, the Beijing show will cover 5,000 years of Chinese history -- the longest, continuing civilization on our planet today; its 4 great inventions; and their vision (rightly or wrongly) of Beijing 2008 -- One World, One Dream. It wouldn't be fair to Beijing, and to yourself as well, to really use Torino as a template for the show happening in 3 days.

Athan, don't compare Torino's script with Beijing's -- otherwise you will be sorely disappointed. There will probablity be some similarities in terms of elements common to all Olympic Ceremonies -- the appearance of the 5 rings, youth, energy, sport, etc. -- after all these are the Olympics. But from what we know, the Beijing show will cover 5,000 years of Chinese history -- the longest, continuing civilization on our planet today; its 4 great inventions; and their vision (rightly or wrongly) of Beijing 2008 -- One World, One Dream. It wouldn't be fair to Beijing, and to yourself as well, to really use Torino as a template for the show happening in 3 days.

Hi, the way I read Athan's Blog was that he (assuming that he is a he :P ), was just asking if the Opening Ceremony had a known program, that would then have the names of each segment. He just happened to use Torino's segments as an example. Of course the Ceremony will have segments, though we will not know the full extent and names (official names) of these until after the Opening Ceremony has finished. Someone out there, will most definately sum it all up on Wikipedia sooner or later after the ceremony has finished. But yeah, I do agree with you in general, Baron, in that it would be unfair to Beijing, to compare it to Torino, let alone any other Olympic City or Ceremony. Every Olympics is different, that is what makes them all exciting, no matter when you come from, or whether you happen to like a particular country. Though, I bet by the time London 2012 comes rolling around, there will be many people (most likely the British, being Patriotic), saying that their ceremony is superior, and I don't doubt that it won't be. All I know is that, come August 8, it will be Beijing's (& China's) time to shine. I personally can't wait till Friday :lol: , but then it will kick in that I will have to wait another 4 years till London....... <_< somebody build me a time machine.....

Hi, the way I read Athan's Blog was that he (assuming that he is a he :P ), was just asking if the Opening Ceremony had a known program, that would then have the names of each segment. He just happened to use Torino's segments as an example. Of course the Ceremony will have segments, though we will not know the full extent and names (official names) of these until after the Opening Ceremony has finished.

Yes, I'm a he :P

No, Baron, I'm not comparing Torino with Beijing (or Beijing with Torino), it was just an exemple as TorneroBlu said. I also think people shouldn't compare the different Olympic cities, they're all different cultures and every Olympics should be different, it would be boring if it were always the same. OK, so the program will be unknown until the end... Why do they do that? :rolleyes:

Thanks very much ;)

P.S.: Spanish Olympic Committee website had its "own Opening Ceremony program" but it was only about protocol: flags, anthems, oaths... without the artistic part <_<

OK, so the program will be unknown until the end... Why do they do that? :rolleyes:

Thanks very much ;)

P.S.: Spanish Olympic Committee website had its "own Opening Ceremony program" but it was only about protocol: flags, anthems, oaths... without the artistic part <_<

One could guess that the reason why they don't post any of these "programs" out early, is so it can make people aniticipate the show more, or just so they can surprise them. I mean, knowing what's in a show, kills the feeling of seeing it, do you know what I mean? Besides, if anything we know far too much.... with that Korean broadcast and by frequenting this forum... :lol: , if anything, trying not to find out is harder then wanting to find out everything..... especially with the news blasting out every bit of news regarding the Olympics.....

Is athan your real name, or is it short for Nathan? or perhaps a mispelt Athens?

I think Countdown will start from 00:00:29 on stadium screens (like Athens) and just 3 seconds before the start of the Ceremony, drummers will start to beat their drums.

There will be two rows of drummers on both side of big carpet roll. One side will display countdown in English characters 3 ..2..1.. while other side will display Roman characters at the same time III....II....I

||||Dear friends, spectators from all over the world, welcome to the Opening ceremony of the Games of the 29th Olympiad, Beijing 2008"||||

Like i said before, beggining only on 3 would be such a waste for all of those drums, i dont think there will be a countdown on the screens. Oh and another thing, that numbers on the upper part are the chinese ones, not the romans.

One could guess that the reason why they don't post any of these "programs" out early, is so it can make people aniticipate the show more, or just so they can surprise them. I mean, knowing what's in a show, kills the feeling of seeing it, do you know what I mean? Besides, if anything we know far too much.... with that Korean broadcast and by frequenting this forum... :lol: , if anything, trying not to find out is harder then wanting to find out everything..... especially with the news blasting out every bit of news regarding the Olympics.....

Is athan your real name, or is it short for Nathan? or perhaps a mispelt Athens?

I know what you mean... I haven't watched those videos from the Korean TV, I prefer waiting till Friday!

About Athan... It's a bit silly :P : when I was at school we were going to do a little theater about Greece for the littlest children and the name of my character was Athan. As someone told me it was an ancient Greek name (I don't think it's a mispelt Athens, in Spanish: Atenas; in Greek: Athenà(?)... maybe a mispelt Adam). Well, something had to happen because we didn't do the play (and I don't know why) but I liked my character's name so I used it here.

Ok guys, until now all the rehearsals have been successfully done. Now we can lay back and to be waitting for the big night the day after tomorrow~

new pics of the last rehearsal

4IEFSDR609RF0074.jpg

Is that a Coca-Cola bottle? Sorry. I'm really thirsty.

Bit of ceremony footage here, not much but a segment I have not seen anywhere else as yet

Dont click if u dont want to see, this is an official release apparently

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/7543991.stm

That footage is apparently only meant for the UK. I get this message: "Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory".

If it is an official release, than I would expect NBC and other broadcasters to get something soon as well...

I am sure that there is a second copy of every costume just in case something going wrong!

I don't think so, savas, because after the Ceremonies, they let participants keep their costumes:

(i) as a token of their volunteer efforts; and

(ii) saves the producers the problem of storing these outfits which will NOT be used anywhere, anytime else.

So why would they have duplicates of how-ever-many-thousand costumes? All these lavish Ceremonies don't have too many storerooms for costumes -- and that's why they have cast members appear only in 1 costume -- so that's like the rack for the whole evening. No changing or so...

I remember in Atlanta we had 1 extra costume change, but we just left the first costume on those drum towers (the ones in the Opening) but when we got back, a mask or 2 was always missing.

I think Salt Lake 2002 was the only Ceremony that I know that had multiple costume changes for certain cast members. Salt Lake had hired about 30 professional ice skater/dancers (so these were PAID cast members) who appeared at least 4x in various segments in different costumes. But see, that was only because 30 performers are manageable, dressing-room and storage-wise vs. hundreds.

That footage is apparently only meant for the UK. I get this message: "Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory".

If it is an official release, than I would expect NBC and other broadcasters to get something soon as well...

nope~neither in the UK, it seems the clips just been taken off aviod another controversy

Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory.

_44894794_rehearsal512.jpg

FOUND A RUBBISH PREVIEW~I REALLY DISLIKE THE shallow perspective of this editor. WTF~government this government that~government your ass~

Just get a belief and life!

Opening ceremony sneak preview reveals China's power

Beijing

I've just been to the opening ceremony.

I have to keep much of what I saw under my hat as it was an "embargoed" dress rehearsal, of which only 30 seconds of quite general footage has been released.

Since a Korean TV crew filmed a bit of Saturday's rehearsal and stuck it on You Tube (they have a few goes at it to get it right), the Chinese Olympic officials have been very jumpy.

But I don't think I'm giving too much away if I tell you this...

It was all you would expect from a performance directed by film director Zhang Yimou, maker of films such as Hero and House of Flying Daggers.

Featuring thousands of perfectly-choreographed Chinese men and women, it was an immense demonstration of power and unity - exactly the message the Chinese government is trying to convey to the world about its country, and with a sweeping soundtrack to boot.

One particular sequence near the beginning took my breath away with its noise and ambition, a people on the rise.

In parts, it reminded me of those old muscle-flexing displays at old Soviet tank rallies.

The Chinese fans seemed only too delighted to cheer or clap or start a Mexican wave when requested to do so by the volunteers stationed in the crowd.

And while all the Chinese people were merrily snapping away on their mobile phone cameras outside the stadium, I did not see one being used inside the stadium (obeying official requests presumably).

It is almost inconceivable to think one could stage a full Olympic opening ceremony rehearsal in front of 40,000 British people, and not expect photo and video sharing sites to be thick with digital shots from it within minutes.

But the Chinese are very obedient people it seems... I couldn't find anything on Flickr after this evening's performance for instance.

After the ceremony was over, the slightly uncomfortable military feel continued, as banks of dancers retreated in left-right platoons across the plaza in front of the Water Cube.

And fleets of sleek black cars with blackened windows were on hand to instantly whisk away dignitaries.

Those looking for surprises in the ceremony may be disappointed - though our rehearsal did not include the lighting of the cauldron or the fireworks and all parts were played by stand-ins, so who knows which celebrities will appear?

But for China-watchers looking for how the country would portray itself to the world, it is fascinating stuff.

Organisers said it would portray thousands of years of Chinese history - though I have to admit some of the imagery was too subtle for me.

Of course, they only have so much room for manoeuvre as many segments of the ceremony are enshrined in the Olympic constitution (which is probably why it goes on for so long) - the parade of athletes, the last stage of the relay and lighting of the flame, the 'artistic routine', the Olympic flag, the IOC president's speech... and the release of doves.

Those hot on Olympic history will know this, but at Seoul in 1988, the doves were released before the flame was lit - and some were promptly burnt to death when they alighted on the rim.

The practice was changed to release the birds afterwards - but apparently this time the order may be reversed.

Crispy dove anyone?

oh thats a pain, I wont describe it cause people may not want to know but there wasnt all that much new in it, just one segment. I hope it does get released so others can see it.

_44894794_rehearsal512.jpg

That picture is of "Imperial Court" officials -- so it belongs to one of the 2 dynastic segments.

(I know xtclvr05 hates "know-it-alls." Well, just fer you-honey, because u r such a sweet b*tch, I'm going to be even more KNOW-It-ALL just fer your sheer delight and pleasure.) :P

Edited by baron-pierreIV