Opening Ceremony Details

anno

Better watch this version without those annoying commentators and without "NBC-Cut-Version" that excludes scenes because they were rated as "not moral"!!! The first scene of the Fertility Goddess is extremely importand because the Clepsydra starts with her and ends with a pregnant woman. The ancient gives birth to the modern and future evolves.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we have the full order for the Parade of Nations.

NOTE: Yes this is unsourced and from Wikipedia. The person who provided it says he is "asst Chef de Mission for Canada". So as always, take it for what its worth.

It must be accurate or mostly accurate considering the order is on number of strokes in the character.

Parade of Nations order

It looks good to me. This is going to make some commentators confused on why the parade of athletes is in order like that, but I would love to see how the name placards look like, once they come out. I bet it would be a bit awkward for Germany to be at the seventh LAST team to enter the stadium; never mind that Australia is third LAST team to enter, just before Zambia and host China and so forth.

Savas, why don't you make a separate thread for Athens 2004 (again) -- and respect this thread for Beijing's.

I know you're an advocate but that was then; and this is now. The Athens had the spotlight 4 years ago. It is time for Beijing -- and let people draw their OWN comparisons.

I surely will not start a new thread just to respond to a members post.

And about respecting this thread:

"I got epiClepsytic seizures watching it. :lol: "

Dont try to teach me about good manners Baron

It looks good to me. This is going to make some commentators confused on why the parade of athletes is in order like that, but I would love to see how the name placards look like, once they come out. I bet it would be a bit awkward for Germany to be at the seventh LAST team to enter the stadium; never mind that Australia is third LAST team to enter, just before Zambia and host China and so forth.

Thanks for that list and link to wikipedia! Interesting to look at where the nations are entering the stadium!

I surely will not start a new thread just to respond to a members post.

And about respecting this thread:

"I got epiClepsytic seizures watching it. :lol: "

Dont try to teach me about good manners Baron

I don't know why you take every different view from yours as 'disrespectful.' What are you or your views? My elders? :rolleyes:

Haven't you heard of a different POV? Or being sarcastic or hyperbolic? I/some people just don't hold the Athens thing to the reverential heights that you do.

Athens is great for you - fine. But it's not on everybody's #1 Hit Parade list. And I don't see why we can't trash it. Why? Did we sign contracts never to criticise it? :rolleyes:

Hey, ever heard of 'freedom of speech', savas? Uhmmm... it's something practiced in some parts of the world, this forum included.

Funny thing is, you want 'respect' for something -- yet you will go right ahead and practice 'disrespect' for the new subject here (Beijing's OC) by inserting your Athens thing.

You're so '04, savas. This is 2008. Move on.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Guys it's too different civilizations, two different cultures, two different creators.

Obviously it's not going to be the same. Obviously the technology is far better than 2004.

The point is what we will see, as Papaioannou said, we will watch it with our hearts open.

I don't know why you take every different view from yours as 'disrespectful.' .... You're so '04, savas. This is 2008. Move on.

I think you misunderstood me Baron. I didnt say your comment is disrepectful. You critisized me of showing no respect to this thread by going off topic with my post about Clepsydra. But you your self posted off topic before me.

If my post was disturbing for other members then i have to apologize.

One is for sure. After we all watched the Opening Ceremony this Friday,

then we automatically will compare it with the Ceremonies of the past.

I for some reason have a biased feeling about the Ceremony. I dont know why. I am trying to "get rid" of my negative attitude.

One is for sure. After we all watched the Opening Ceremony this Friday,

then we automatically will compare it with the Ceremonies of the past.

Of course. Except to those for whom this will be a FIRST time, we would of course compare it with previous Ceremonies. After all, the producers and creators of each new Ceremony also base and conceive the current version based on what was achieved previously.

I think we will see a lot of the supposed $300 million budget for these Ceremonies.

I think installing that (underground) stage alone is probably $40 million right there!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Money doesn't matter dude!

The ideas, the show is the point.

Of course, not.

Without the moolah, you CAN'T execute the (good) ideas well. And you can't have great ideas if you can't buy the best talent. And you can't buy the latest technology, etc., etc., without a big budget.

What good are the ideas for TITANIC or THE DARK KNIGHT if you don't have the money to turn those into spectacular films, hmmm? NOTHING.

Same thing with Ceremonies. If Athens didn't have a $90 mil budget, do you think it could've afforded the breath-taking effects it did? Duh.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

OK,MORE OC CONTENTS LEAKED BY A Korean Media.

There would be 2008 guys hiting drums for the countdown 3,2,1 as you saw in the leaked clip

While the big screen turns out to be 20:08, the bird's nest whould be covered by yellow fireworks

And Watercube displays the pattern the ''One World, One Dream'' in Chinese

and big fireworks of Olympic Rings

and 9 phonixes and dragons

The corethought of OC would based on the Chinese philosophy of ''Man of Heaven'', and you'll be seeing Monkey King on the sky

The Four Great Inventions

The four segments SPRING, SUMMER, AUTUMN, WINTER

Different dynasties of China

You know guys i don't think there's such a thing as the best ceremony ever. I think that depends of what the people like to watch. Some people can find Athens 2004 OC (and, for example, Albertville 92 too) rather boring, but others can consider it as a great and interesting show. I think Atlanta 96 is somewhat underrated just because Barcelona 92 was more original, and that's not fair. I mean, Beijing 2008 OC is going to be good, in a way or in another one. That depends of the preferences of the watchers.

So please, lets get back to the original point of the thread shall we?

OK,MORE OC CONTENTS LEAKED BY A Korean Media.

There would be 2008 guys hiting drums for the countdown 3,2,1 as you saw in the leaked clip

While the big screen turns out to be 20:08, the bird's nest whould be covered by yellow fireworks

And Watercube displays the pattern the ''One World, One Dream'' in Chinese

and big fireworks of Olympic Rings

and 9 phonixes and dragons

The corethought of OC would based on the Chinese philosophy of ''Man of Heaven'', and you'll be seeing Monkey King on the sky

The Four Great Inventions

The four segments SPRING, SUMMER, AUTUMN, WINTER

Different dynasties of China

Hey MJ i know this is a rather uninteresting question but, is the countdown going to start on 3? Because then, the drums would be a complete waste, they should start at least from 10 (or like always, the number of olympics hold, in this case 29)

Hey MJ i know this is a rather uninteresting question but, is the countdown going to start on 3? Because then, the drums would be a complete waste, they should start at least from 10 (or like always, the number of olympics hold, in this case 29)

They might have more surprises to come, because of the lack of transparency over the whole thing. But yeah most of people's review would heavily focus on the technology~So it's hollywood like show.

Of course, not.

Without the moolah, you CAN'T execute the (good) ideas well. And you can't have great ideas if you can't buy the best talent. And you can't buy the latest technology, etc., etc., without a big budget.

What good are the ideas for TITANIC or THE DARK KNIGHT if you don't have the money to turn those into spectacular films, hmmm? NOTHING.

Same thing with Ceremonies. If Athens didn't have a $90 mil budget, do you think it could've afforded the breath-taking effects it did? Duh.

Yeah but TITANIC and the Dark Night wouldnt be half as good without the "heartbreaking story of love" or "the complex story of batman resp. of Joker"

Lets get serious.

$300 million is an outstanding budget if you have a good concept and mean nothing if there isnt one.

Zhang Yimou is a very good director no matter if you like his work or not. So there will be a good concept. The question is how many compromises he had to do to satisfy

the megalomania of the government.

So i decided: i wil have some tasty pizza with coke and will expect not more then an entertaining show. If there is more to see then even better...

You're forgetting the Magic number of the night: 8!! I think the countdown will start at "8."

I think that all the commentators will get a media guide to the ceremony (as this one for the Torino 2006 OC) where they'll probably explain the parade's order.

That Wikipedia list is now complete, with the way Mandarin is spoken to say all those nations' names.

I think Countdown will start from 00:00:29 on stadium screens (like Athens) and just 3 seconds before the start of the Ceremony, drummers will start to beat their drums.

There will be two rows of drummers on both side of big carpet roll. One side will display countdown in English characters 3 ..2..1.. while other side will display Roman characters at the same time III....II....I

||||Dear friends, spectators from all over the world, welcome to the Opening ceremony of the Games of the 29th Olympiad, Beijing 2008"||||

Is there any kind of program with the name of each segment in the ceremony? I mean, in Athens it was "Allegory", "Clepsydra"... In Turin, as Wikipedia says:

1. Rhythm of passion

2. Greetings from the Alps

3. Italy (flag, anthem...)

4. Torino Olympic City (the giant skier)

5. Olympic spirit

6. Heroes of our time (the parade)

7. From Renaissance to Baroque

8. From Futurism to Future (...I liked it a lot)

9. Pit Stop

10. Words and Symbols

11. Peace

12. Light the passion

13. Fortissimo

And I can't find something like that with Beijing's opening ceremony.

...3 days to go...

...while other side will display Roman characters at the same time III....II....I

Hi, i don't think the otherside shows Roman Characters, rather they show the Chinese form of numbers, besides the point that Roman numbers would seem out of place in a Chinese ceremony....... :rolleyes:

But yeah, I would agree with both suggestions that the countdown will start from 29 or 8 seconds... either way, it should be spectactular with all those light up drums...... ;)