Opening Ceremony Details

anno

I doubt it'll be Yao Ming. He's big and all, but the Chinese really care about medals, especially Gold. He hasn't won any.

If they've managed to talk him into missing a day of training (the reason he kept saying t he couldn't do it), then my money is on Liu Xiang. Huge star in China, current Olympic Champion, lots of attention from the media during the Games no doubt, and his situation reminds me of Cathy Freeman’s.

Liu XIang will not be attending the opening ceremony because of the battle with Robles

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody outside T&F circles knows this Liu Xiang. Yo Yo Ma is far better known. They're not going to put someone in there of limited reknown.

Limited? I don't think so. But regardless, it's not like every single past lighter has been some super star.

And they do want him, or at least he is being considered. He just keeps saying he rather train as much as possible.

If the trend continues, the CBC will not have the whole parade of athletes shown without commercial interruption. Also, I know one European network will have the whole thing shown without any such interruption. It will be interesting on how it will do, when the Canadian team shows up at the Bird's Nest. I did not like its previous attempt, when it came to wanting to interview the athletes then at Athens 2004 much.

Looks like we have the full order for the Parade of Nations.

NOTE: Yes this is unsourced and from Wikipedia. The person who provided it says he is "asst Chef de Mission for Canada". So as always, take it for what its worth.

It must be accurate or mostly accurate considering the order is on number of strokes in the character.

Parade of Nations order

They included Iraq now, just before Iran.

so, probably I will have the chance to watch Guatemala, because probably they will show Iraq here in USA, and being just two after, then, there is a possibility.

Of the 2 dozen or so nations that have announced their flag-bearers, nine (9) of those are Canoe/Kayak athletes!! Wow!!

It seems the canoers/kayakers have moved early to grab the flag-bearer spots.

See the wikipedia listing.

I am not astonished so much since most of the finals of this sport are in the second week.

If the trend continues, the CBC will not have the whole parade of athletes shown without commercial interruption. Also, I know one European network will have the whole thing shown without any such interruption. It will be interesting on how it will do, when the Canadian team shows up at the Bird's Nest. I did not like its previous attempt, when it came to wanting to interview the athletes then at Athens 2004 much.

well - since Sarajevo 1984 the German TV shows the O- and CC without any commercial interruption...

So Spain will march the 75th, after Armenia (I like this country and I don't know why) and before Bermuda.

But there's a problem, Guinea and Guinea-Bissau... Who will be marching second and third??? The first three strokes are the same in these two countries! Guinea has three strokes and Guinea-Bissau has five, so it should be Guinea marching second and Guinea-Bissau marching third. However, it was said that Guinea-Bissau would be right after Greece! :wacko:

Great firework pics maryjane. they did take a while to load up though. However love the olympic rings fireworks.

Rich

well - since Sarajevo 1984 the German TV shows the O- and CC without any commercial interruption...

And what was before 1984? I've never heard that German television ever made commercial interruptions during an Olympic opening or closing ceremony. Especially not in the 1950s, 1960s or 1970s when commercials weren't as important as today.

About Theme Tune of Beijing 2008

The Leaked News might be <<拥抱爱的梦想 (Embrace the Dream of Love)>>

Sung by Andrea Bocelli & Sarah Brightman

http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=1PTPxIPLpGY

In the video, the female singer isn't Sarah Brightman, but Jane Zhang. Or will she be replaced by Brightman in the opening ceremony? That would surprise me, because the host country wouldn't be represented at all in the singing of the theme song.

However, as a theme song, it would be OK. At least it sounds more modern and a little less corny than the songs which were in the race before. It reminds me a little bit of "Because We Believe" which was sung by Andrea Bocelli in the Torino 2006 closing ceremony. The song could have used less kitsch, though. But kitsch is probably a tradition for Olympic theme songs.

In the video, the female singer isn't Sarah Brightman, but Jane Zhang. Or will she be replaced by Brightman in the opening ceremony? That would surprise me, because the host country wouldn't be represented at all in the singing of the theme song.

However, as a theme song, it would be OK. At least it sounds more modern and a little less corny than the songs which were in the race before. It reminds me a little bit of "Because We Believe" which was sung by Andrea Bocelli in the Torino 2006 closing ceremony. The song could have used less kitsch, though. But kitsch is probably a tradition for Olympic theme songs.

Yes~ she would be replaced by Sarah.