• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leakage!

Spoiling Olympic secrets

Posted by Tim Johnson

Thu Jul 31, 7:03 AM ET

Much to the dismay of China, a Korean journalist snuck into the Bird’s Nest stadium Monday night and filmed a rehearsal of the Aug. 8 opening ceremonies for the Olympic Games.

ADVERTISEMENT

As background, the opening ceremonies for the Games have been a huge secret, almost equivalent to military classified information. Leakers have been threatened with seven-year jail terms. China’s most famous filmmaker, Zhang Yimou, put together the three and a half hour show.

So when the two-minute Korean network news spot was posted on YouTube, China jumped to action. First, it leaned on YouTube to block the link. Click here to see what happens when you call up the video. (Please correct me if it's only blocked in China.) Then China ordered domestic video websites to take it down.

Ceremony1

That’s the Chinese way: if you have a leak, find out how to make it go away, even if you have to pull out a sledgehammer and drive a stake through its heart.

I saw the video this morning on YouTube before it was taken down, but I’ll excerpt from a Sydney Morning Herald article about what the show contains.

It begins with a countdown and thunderous drums. A giant traditional scroll painting unfurls, revealing a lone rhythmic gymnast.

Other highlights include the projection of larger-than-life whales on a giant screen that appears to run around the entire interior lip of the stadium roof, and dozens of airborne acrobats.

There is also spectacular use of gymnastics in which hundreds of performers synchronise to create moving tableaux. In one scene, thousands of white cubes with people underneath move up and down in waves that suggest the explosive growth of high-rise cities in China.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcb_china/20080731...golympicsecrets

And here's the SMH blog with a video link of the footage: http://blogs.smh.com.au/olympics/stephenhu...youtubeoly.html

PD: Can anyone tell me the number of order Venezuela will march? O_O (yeah, that's my country)

The Chinese translation of Venezuela is: 委內瑞拉. In Mandarin, it is said like this: wěi nèi ruì lā.

So, if the "pin yin" system is used, it would be at the back end of the parade. Come to think of it, I think I should do this, to help you guys out what is the Chinese equivalent of the English country names.

The Chinese translation of Venezuela is: 委內瑞拉. In Mandarin, it is said like this: wěi nèi ruì lā.

So, if the "pin yin" system is used, it would be at the back end of the parade. Come to think of it, I think I should do this, to help you guys out what is the Chinese equivalent of the English country names.

NOT IN PINYIN~please.

NOT IN PINYIN~please.

Then, what do you suggest? Just outright English, like the way they did it for the Nagano 1998 Winter Olympics?

Anyway, I know a couple of them, like Canada 加拿大 (jiā ná dà) and the United States of America 美國 (měi guó).

Edited by Guardian

Then, what do you suggest? Just outright English, like the way they did it for the Nagano 1998 Winter Olympics?

Stroke (CJK character)

The CJK strokes (also known as the CJK(V) or CJKV strokes) are the strokes needed to write the Chinese characters used in East Asia. The corresponding CJKV characters being the characters that come from Chinese Hanzi, and which are now used in China, Japan, Korea, and still a little in Vietnam.

There are some thirty distinct types of strokes recognized in Chinese characters, some of which are compound strokes made from basic strokes. The compound strokes comprise more than one movement of the writing instrument, and many of these have no agreed-upon name.

Each single stroke includes all the motions necessary to produce a given part of a character before lifting the writing instrument from the writing surface; thus, a single stroke may have abrupt changes in direction within the line.

In order to be able to write CJK characters one first has to know how to write CJK strokes, and thus, needs to identify the basic strokes that make up a character. The following section lists the most usual common shapes of the basic CJK strokes, and the proper way of writing each. Many different lists of basic strokes coexist and there is no broad agreement as far as the stroke names are concerned (examples). We use a set of 37 CJK strokes based on the 8 basic strokes of 永, and 29 other compound strokes. We also use a common naming system, which is not the only available.

strokeord.gif

SO for example

GREAT BRITAIN

United States

Italy 大利

They usually would pick the first Chinese chacracter of counting total strokes it has. like Great Britian is 8 strokes to form 英

8 strokes to form 美, 13 strokes to from 意. Then that means Italy definitly behind the GB and U.S.

Usually if both of the first chacracters of 2 nations are having the same amount of strokes, then they would be adding the second chacracter and the third one of all the strokes combined to rank them. In this case, you could see GB and U.S. are still the same, then they might be counting the full name of two nations like The United States of America 美利坚合众国 and The United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland 大不列颠与北爱尔兰联合王国 in which case the U.S. has the far less total strokes than GB~

That means U.S. is following by GB, and Italy would be that last of these 3

Oh, I see. The radical and/or strokes idea is not a bad one. For those not knowing what this means, it means that the number of "single movements before picking up the brush again" of the first Chinese character could determine the parade of athletes order. There are SEVENTEEN (17) radicals in the Chinese language, PLUS what Maryjane has provided in her post. For examples, look up this Chinese-English Dictionary site for your information.

So where would that leave the US and the UK in the running order of countries ish. Knowing my luck i'll miss Great Britain when i go for a pee during this marathon opening ceremonies lol!

Ah the good old days when it was in french or english........

Dudes, i got more or less how the lighting of the cauldron will be. From a korean website (once again SBS are such a thieves >o<) , this is what i obtained after translating it (there are a lot of mistakes but it gives you an idea

http://news.sbs.co.kr/section_news/news_re..._id=N1000451458

wtf? this translation sucks! but from what i perceive it is going to be either a dragon or a phoenix coming down from the roof and their are going to be nine fires? very hard to understand

Hey, Maryjane, I thought there are NINE strokes with the two examples of Great Britain and the USA there.

Anyway, if you want to know what your country translates into Chinese, you could ask her for advice.

By the way, 英国 or 英國 (Yīng guó) could be at the BACK, if the pin yin system is used here because of the ROMANIZATION (English TRANSLITERATION) way of reading Chinese. Essentially, that is what "pin yin" is.

Also, to Maryjane, what kind of Chinese script would the placards show: the traditional (like what the Cantonese mostly use) or the simplified one (like what most Mainland Chinese use)? That example somewhere in this topic, it looked like it used the TRADITIONAL one for practice.

Edited by Guardian

Hey, Maryjane, I thought there are NINE strokes with the two examples of Great Britain and the USA there.

Anyway, if you want to know what your country translates into Chinese, you could ask her for advice.

By the way, 英国 or 英國 (Yīng guó) could be at the BACK, if the pin yin system is used here because of the ROMANIZATION (English TRANSLITERATION) way of reading Chinese. Essentially, that is what "pin yin" is.

Also, to Maryjane, what kind of Chinese script would the placards show: the traditional (like what the Cantonese mostly use) or the simplified one (like what most Mainland Chinese use)? That example somewhere in this topic, it looked like it used the TRADITIONAL one for practice.

I think Pin Yin is a good way to learn to speak Chinese for the children

But actually because Chinese is based on a logographic writing systems as Egyptian hieroglyphs, so the more original the better.

I think it's going to be used in the simplified ones because of its popularity, but more important it's a symbol of modern China, one of the formal languages of the UN.

OK~ I have helped to make a short list from 1 to 69 for the Athelets Marching Order on 8.8.2008 in Beijing

1.Greece 希腊

2.The Republic of Guinea 几内亚

3.The Republic of Guinea-Bissau 几内亚比绍

4.Yemen 也门

5.Turkey 土耳其

6.Turkmenistan 土库曼斯坦

7.Maldives 马尔代夫

8.Republic of Malta 马耳他

9.Republic of Madagascar 马达加斯加

10.The Republic of Mali 马里

11.Malaysia 马来西亚

12.Marshall Islands 马绍尔群岛