Opening Ceremony Details

anno

Well, 1994 was the best organized until February 2002. After that, 1994 took a back seat to 2002. Torino was pronounced just a so-so Games; so 2002 still is King of the Hill at the moment.

For you it's still King of the Hill. So don't behave as if your personal opinion is universally valid.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, 1994 was the best organized until February 2002. After that, 1994 took a back seat to 2002. Torino was pronounced just a so-so Games; so 2002 still is King of the Hill at the moment.

Please, tell me that you're joking... 2002??? You mean the Games in Salt Lake??? You mean the Games with the way too chauvinistic American crowd??? Terrible! The only thing what counted was USA... I remeber the short-track competition where Ono lost and an Australian took the gold. Instead of cheering you were just screaming ans shooting! That is not were the Olympics stands for! USA was the only country wich counted for you!

I liked the crowd in Norway more! They were cheering when they lost the gold in the cross-country relay to Italy, because they saw an amazing race! I never think Americans will do that!

Will be the next joke that you call the Atlanta Games the best ever???

Could we stop this discussion now and return to the original subject, please?

Baron has now reached his aim to provoke everyone (including me) -- so far, so bad. But actually, the topic of this thread isn't his personal opinion about Lillehammer, Salt Lake, Atlanta and Athens but the upcoming opening ceremony in Beijing.

Please, tell me that you're joking... 2002??? You mean the Games in Salt Lake??? You mean the Games with the way too chauvinistic American crowd??? Terrible! The only thing what counted was USA... I remeber the short-track competition where Ono lost and an Australian took the gold. Instead of cheering you were just screaming ans shooting! That is not were the Olympics stands for! USA was the only country wich counted for you!

I liked the crowd in Norway more! They were cheering when they lost the gold in the cross-country relay to Italy, because they saw an amazing race! I never think Americans will do that!

Will be the next joke that you call the Atlanta Games the best ever???

Well, that's your opinion. You're entitled to it even if it's wrong.

So you don't think the Chinese are NOT going to cheer their athletes and BE PISSED if their bets don't come in first. And the Brazilians didn't do at the PanAms 2007? And the Koreans didn't do it in Seoul? :rolleyes:

Please, get real. It's only human nature.

yes, ATLANTA were the best ever -- because I was in them. :P

Could we stop this discussion now and return to the original subject, please?

Baron has now reached his aim to provoke everyone (including me) -- so far, so bad. But actually, the topic of this thread isn't his personal opinion about Lillehammer, Salt Lake, Atlanta and Athens but the upcoming opening ceremony in Beijing.

Ok! But it felt good to say it!

But what i read about the opening was great. The pictures of the dress rehearsels looked great. I read an artical that a Chinese man payed 19.000 euro for a ticket to see the opening. That's unbelievable. I can understand that you will see, but so much... I hope that also the 'normal' people of China will be able to watch the OC. It is a great moment for there culture.

My question is about the athletes participation in the OC. The Dutch team have the rule that athletes are not allowed to participate in the OC when they have to compete in 48 hours after the OC. That means that the swimmers and hockey teams will not be in the OC for the Netherlands. Do other countries have the same rules?

My question is about the athletes participation in the OC. The Dutch team have the rule that athletes are not allowed to participate in the OC when they have to compete in 48 hours after the OC. That means that the swimmers and hockey teams will not be in the OC for the Netherlands. Do other countries have the same rules?

If you want to do well in competition, then it only makes sense.

And once you march in, there's no way to leave the stadium early -- not unless you fake a heart attack or something like that. :lol:

Flashy preview, pity about the forecast

Jessica Halloran

July 18, 2008

Advertisement

CHINA teased the world with elaborate fireworks and performers decorated with blue stars as they held another rehearsal of the three-and-a-half-hour Olympic opening ceremony under tight security on Wednesday night in Beijing.

The extravagant light show also featured the inner shell of Beijing National Stadium, known as the Bird's Nest, lit in a vibrant red.

The ceremony is being directed by celebrated Chinese film director Zhang Yimou, who has spent three years designing the spectacle alongside a creative team of international artists and event planners.

Among his chief advisers is Australia's Ric Birch, who has been involved in all the opening ceremonies since he cemented his reputation as a creative guru at the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984. Birch believes the world will be stunned by China's ceremony.

"The world can expect, of course, to be gobsmacked," Birch said in a recent interview.

Zhang has the great challenge of fitting 5000 years of Chinese culture into 50 minutes. But that hasn't been his only drama.

US director Steven Spielberg quit as an artistic adviser to the Beijing Games in February because of China's continued support for its oil-rich trading partner Sudan.

A report also emerged yesterday that indicated that this could be a "no fun" Games. In the wake of the government's dire warnings of terrorist attacks, increased security has led to a clampdown on nightlife ahead of next month's Games.

According to an AFP report, tighter visa procedures and inflated hotel prices are keeping tourists away. Add to that restrictions on car travel, and some are wondering if Beijing will be able to recreate the party atmosphere of Sydney and Athens.

"A lot of people aren't satisfied with the Olympics. In 2001, when Beijing got the Games, everyone was so happy, me included," said one Chinese musician, who declined to be named. "But progressively, it has all become so inconvenient for us."

And then there is the rain. Chinese state media say there is a 41 per cent chance of rain during the opening ceremony on August 8. Organisers said the event would be delayed if performers' costumes and their props were dampened in the rain. But the Chinese have a contingency plan.

Organisers may attempt to artificially influence the weather if rain threatens the ceremony, a meteorological official said on Tuesday.

"Although it is an emergency measure, the meteorological administration has made serious preparations on artificially influencing the weather," Chen Zhenlin told a media conference.

Chen said meteorologists had been carrying out experiments on artificial weather modification since 2003, particularly tests on reducing rainfall.

"For example, if there are clouds that produce light rain, artificial weather modification could bring results," he said.

However, they have no technology to prevent heavy rain.

It's a little far out to be forecasting rain, isn't it?

Well they do look at weather records and tendencies of the cities weather during that time period to make such forecasts. And those forecasts will probably change as the day comes closer anyways.

By the way, I’ve read that 41% is only for a light rain/drizzle. Chances for heavy, impeding rain are lower.

Well they do look at weather records and tendencies of the cities weather during that time period to make such forecasts. And those forecasts will probably change as the day comes closer anyways.

By the way, I’ve read that 41% is only for a light rain/drizzle. Chances for heavy, impeding rain are lower.

And the chance to rain around 8:00 pm is 10%

This last photo looks too sexy and sensual to be an Opening Ceremony photo. I've never seen Chinese dancing like that -- unless it's meant to be for the 'Decadent-foreign-devil' segment of the show!! :lol:

dam, that's like Zhang's movies. VERY BOLD AND COLORFUL.~

Baron, do you prefer that style or the Athens one more?

dam, that's like Zhang's movies. VERY BOLD AND COLORFUL.~

Baron, do you prefer that style or the Athens one more?

Well, I haven't really seen what Beijing has to offer. I mean there were several things I liked about Athens' Opening. Sydney's was just TOOOO spectacular. So it has to come together as a unified whole for me.

A good combination of both would actually be good.

Well, I haven't really seen what Beijing has to offer. I mean there were several things I liked about Athens' Opening. Sydney's was just TOOOO spectacular. So it has to come together as a unified whole for me.

A good combination of both would actually be good.

The key is about telling a really good story not just presenting a spectacular catwalk show. I meant, I expect more about the drama combines with great pieces of music, and the good vision given by China to the World. That's might be the reason why Sydney inspired many people. A vision :lol:

I DON'T really expect a very intricate story line. I mean these are just OPENING Ceremonies. An overly intricate storyline would make it TOOO intellectual (and I thought that's where Athens was kinda heading).

But if that's there PLUS a really, classy spectacular show to boot -- then u got it in the bag. A little humor too (like Sydney) would help.

People need to stay awake for the entire 4 hours.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

OK, More elements leaked for the Opening Ceremony, these are the stuff you might going to see

the scene of "Zheng He to the Western Ocean"

Terracotta Army

Blue and white porcelain with diving

Chess & Go

Beijing Opera

Lots of Children laughing

Matrix Great Wall

Gandhanra of Dunhuang Buddha

And the key element ---- Equatorial sundials

Ok, i suposse the Zheng He stuff will consist of projecting a huge map on the floor (since as i can see it will work as a screen to, kinda like Doha 2006). But please, not a giant boat stuff again (altough a chinese boat could see interesting)

This was the giant ship of Zheng He he used on his travels (maybe it could appear at the opening)

ChinaZhengHeShip1405vsSantaMaria500pxw.jpg

The kids laughing was the stuff Yimou was talking about months ago: they were taking pics of smiling kids from all over the world and they were going to project them at the stadium. According to his words it was going to be the most emotional moving part of the ceremony

And wow, Chees & Go? :lol: We're going to see a huge Chess game on the stadium? OMG

oly9.jpg

The Olympic Green in Beijing is seen in this satellite image collected by DigitalGlobe on May 25, 2008 and released to Reuters July 18, 2008. The National Stadium (center), also known as the Bird's Nest, the National Aquatics Centre (lower center), also known as the Water Cube, and the Olympic Sports Center Stadium (top right) are seen. (REUTERS/DigitalGlobe/Handout)

oly11.jpg

Workers transport flowers to plant in the lake in front of the National Stadium, also known as the Bird's Nest, in Beijing July 19, 2008. The International Olympic Committee recently praised Beijing for setting a "gold standard for the future" in its preparations for the Games, which begin in less than a month. (REUTERS/Reinhard Krause)

oly14.jpg

A view of the Olympic Park, commonly known as the Olympic Green, July 6, 2008 in Beijing, China. Beijing's Olympic Green is the core of the Olympic Games and the site of thirteen venues, including the National Stadium and the National Aquatics Center (center). (Guang Niu/Getty Images)

oly17.jpg

Chinese workers clean the bubble shaped surface of the iconic Water Cube National Aquatic Center in Beijing, China, Friday, July 18, 2008. One of the highlights of the Beijing Olympic Games will be some of the visibly stunning sporting venues. (AP Photo/Ng Han Guan)

oly19.jpg

Paramilitary policemen take part in an oath-taking ceremony to ensure the safety of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games outside the National Stadium, also known as the Bird's Nest, at the Olympic Green in Beijing, July 16, 2008. (REUTERS/Joe Chan)

oly6.jpg

A worker washes his hands in a moat around the National Aquatics Centre also known as the Water Cube, at the Olympic Green in Beijing on 18 July, 2008. With just 21 days to go the finishing touches to Olympic venues continues for the opening ceremony on 8 August in the National Stadium better known as the Bird's Nest. (PETER PARKS/AFP/Getty Images)

oly8.jpg

Cleaners abseil down the exterior of the International Broadcasting Centre (IBC) building at the Olympic Green in Beijing July 16, 2008. (REUTERS/David Gray)

oly7.jpg

Chinese performers wait to take part in the rehearsals of the Olympic Games opening ceremony to be held at the Bird Nest National Stadium in Beijing, China, Wednesday, July 16, 2008. Full dress rehearsals are conducted under a cloak of secrecy ahead of one of the most anticipated summer Olympic Games. (AP Photo/Ng Han Guan)