Opening Ceremony Details

anno

And God help us if we're critical of the Ceremonies, lest we be called racist Westerners who only believe what the media tells us, right?

For me, to be called excellent ceremonies, frankly, Barcelona and MAYBE Sydney still set the standard. Not a slam on either Atlanta or Athens at all, the problem with them was:

Atlanta was too inconsistent. I LOVE the opening with Summon the Heroes, the tribute to the ancient Olympics, the Parade of Nations, et al, but the chrome trucks? The tribute to the South? FFward button land.

Athens had strong points too but just didn't grab me the same way Barcelona and Sydney did. The historian in me adored those ceremonies, but I just couldn't develop an emotional attachment to them.

That's it. Some parts of certain Ceremonies appeal to some of us more than the other parts; I'm sure it's the same all over the world if you've seen a few.

[For me, in terms of balance of folksy-&-spectacular, content/intent-and-execution, just-right-vs.-excessive, etc., Barcelona is still the best on ledger.]

Anyway, just discussing and anticpating it makes one's blood race faster already.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And God help us if we're critical of the Ceremonies, lest we be called racist Westerners who only believe what the media tells us, right?

For me, to be called excellent ceremonies, frankly, Barcelona and MAYBE Sydney still set the standard. Not a slam on either Atlanta or Athens at all, the problem with them was:

Atlanta was too inconsistent. I LOVE the opening with Summon the Heroes, the tribute to the ancient Olympics, the Parade of Nations, et al, but the chrome trucks? The tribute to the South? FFward button land.

Athens had strong points too but just didn't grab me the same way Barcelona and Sydney did. The historian in me adored those ceremonies, but I just couldn't develop an emotional attachment to them.

So, we'll see about Beijing. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but am wary.

Everyone has their own preference. There is no such thing as "best ever" being bestowed on any single ceremony. I used to work with a Korean woman who was part of the '88 Seoul opening and she still believes that they were the best ever. I personally think L.A. was. I met a guy from Toronto who still talks fondly of Montreal's opening. Doesn't mean they were the best - just an emotional attachment as you pointed out.

I thought the fashion show and the human pyramids in Barcelona was lame; the trucks and cheerleaders in Atlanta stupid; I was so over Nicky Webster about a quarter into the Sydney ceremony that I went to the kitchen and made a casserole, not to mention the cauldron mishap and Athens overall just left me cold - so much so I went to bed before they were over. Doesn't mean anything as somewhere someone thinks any one of these ceremonies was the best.

I will say 12 years later that I have started having a greater appreciation for Atlanta's Opening.

Edited by LA84

like everone else has posted - it will be a matter of personal taste - but the beijing opening will be magnificent and i imagine will challenge all other ceremonies (for me athens being being by far and away the best - i cried that evening - so moving)!

bring on the 8th august!

im just never gonna find a time travel on wheels going in circles, round and round and round round baby go round.. interesting, whether its in an opening ceremony or not.im just never gonna find a time travel on wheels going in circles, round and round and round round baby go round.. interesting, whether its in an opening ceremony or not.

is it just me or are these the most photographed dress rehearsals....like ever?

well, there are more cell-camera phones than ever; this has the biggest cast -- so multiply that accordingly, and you will have the most pre-photographed rehearsals SO FAR in history. And that's dealing with a fairly disciplined population. Wait until 2010!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

well, there are more cell-camera phones than ever; this has the biggest cast -- so multiply that accordingly, and you will have the most pre-photographed rehearsals SO FAR in history. And that's dealing with a fairly disciplined population. Wait until 2010!

Being the control freaks that they are, I would've thought that the Chinese gov't would take away/forbid cell phones during rehearsals.....make the performers sign a contract of secrecy.

As for 2010, our ceremonies will pale in comparison to what Beijing has cooked up. I can only hope that they will be far better than what Salt Lake and especially Torino created.

Being the control freaks that they are, I would've thought that the Chinese gov't would take away/forbid cell phones during rehearsals.....make the performers sign a contract of secrecy.

Easier said than done. Remember these are volunteers. There really is no LEGAL basis to require full cooperation -- unlike if they were PAID personnel. Besides, the IOC might take a dim view to such draconian measures imposed on volunteers. And the more forbidden they make it, the greater the temptation to break the mold. Human nature.

Easier said than done. Remember these are volunteers. There really is no LEGAL basis to require full cooperation -- unlike if they were PAID personnel. Besides, the IOC might take a dim view to such draconian measures imposed on volunteers. And the more forbidden they make it, the greater the temptation to break the mold. Human nature.

Yep, only the paid laborers were asked/made to sign confidentiality agreements regarding these rehearsals- http://www.cctv.com/program/sportsscene/20...11/103026.shtml Not the volunteers.

As for 2010, our ceremonies will pale in comparison to what Beijing has cooked up. I can only hope that they will be far better than what Salt Lake and especially Torino created.

I still think Lillehammer was the best opening ceremony for olympic winter games until now, the best winter games also maybe.

But except for a few elements of some groups and some elements during the shows we don't know to much until now. In Athens we had a whole story from the beginning to the end of the ceremony. Even the detail about the athletes parade walking in a spiral.

I still think Lillehammer was the best opening ceremony for olympic winter games until now, the best winter games also maybe.

Nope. Sorry. SALT LAKE 2002 has been the BEST Opening Ceremony by far -- and the BEST Organized Winter Games thus far. Lilly Hammer was OK -- cutesy, folksy, primitive (do I hear cfjeremie rustling his papers and getting ready for a rebuttal here?).

In Athens we had a whole story from the beginning to the end of the ceremony. Even the detail about the athletes parade walking in a spiral.

Obviously, you have not been paying attention. OK, Torch, Lesson #34 in Olympic Ceremonies 101:

1. LA 1984 - THeme: The Music America Has GIven the World

2. Seoul 1888 - we'll skip that. A blip on the radar.

3. Barcelona - the story of Spain and Barcelona in myth and legend (Las Ramblas, greater Catalunya, etc., Hercules, etc. ..)

4. Atlanta -- the Celebration of the 100th Anniversary of the Games which should've been told by a certain city -- but it wasn't ready for it. So, first a symbolic Awakening of the Olympic Spirits after been asleep for several millenia; 5 tribes of humanity have been roused -- and they come together. Protocol portion. An Exuberant Welcome from the Youth of Atlanta -- an idyllic salute to Summertime in the South -- an homage to the ancient Games -- honoring the oldest living Olympian at the time of the Centennial (Leon Stukel (sp?) from Czechoslovakia), etc., etc.

Pay attention. There will be a test afterwards...

What makes you think Athens was the only one who knew how to tell a story? Go deeper into the archives and you will find masterful explanations of all these Ceremonies ad infinitum.

OK...only the latest chapter in Best Olympic Ceremonies... ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Nope. Sorry. SALT LAKE 2002 has been the BEST Opening Ceremony by far -- and the BEST Organized Winter Games thus far. Lilly Hammer was OK -- cutesy, folksy, primitive (do I hear cfjeremie rustling his papers and getting ready for a rebuttal here?).

Obviously, you have not been paying attention. OK, Torch, Lesson #34 in Olympic Ceremonies 101:

Pay attention. There will be a test afterwards...

What makes you think Athens was the only one who knew how to tell a story? Go deeper into the archives and you will find masterful explanations of all these Ceremonies ad infinitum.

OK...only the latest chapter in Best Olympic Ceremonies... ;)

Well, Salt Lake was a good ceremony, a lot of show, but again it's very personal what's the best or not.

And I think you did not understand me. I meant before the opening of Athens we already knew the whole story. And we don't know at this time the whole story of the Beijing ceremony, we only know a few elemets we are going to see.

And we don't know at this time the whole story of the Beijing ceremony, we only know a few elemets we are going to see.

Oh, I'll tell you what the Beijing ceremony is all about. It's a celebration of Chinese culture -- of what the oldest, continuing civilization on earth has contributed to humanity. This will be portrayed in its history, again, its myths and legends; its contributions; its accomplishments -- and its place as a modern society in today's contemporary world. That's what the 08/08 Ceremony will be.

The only point I have ever tried to make was that "best ever" is a subjective notion and ceremonies that touched people for some reasons might well not touched other people.

You are the one who implied that Beijing would be the best because they had the largest budget.

But that was my mistake, I already knew that subtlety was lost on you...

I know BEST is subjective. But I get tired of it -- and correcting the newbies.

So, 'if u can't fight 'em; join'em.' :lol: (That's just like on my 'musicals recordings' group: people can't make the distinction between a 'cast album' (so Broadway or London STAGE cast recordings) vs. a SOUNDTRACK (which is the track from the movie version). Only the cognescenti seem to bother to use the right term. So, f*ck'it -- people use them interchnageably -- even though there IS a distinction.)

Don't take it too seriously, jeremie. ;)

So to me now, BEST is the same as FAVORITE. ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I know BEST is subjective. But I get tired of it -- and correcting the newbies.

Torchbearer AA, who joined GB only three days after you (four years ago!), is a "newbie"? Oh well, here you show your snottiest side again... Less is more, Baron.

I am afraid that the general consensus (excluding possibly Mitt Romney and the American Media) is that the 1994 winter games were by far the best organised recent Winter Games and a golden standard to which all following winter games are compared ( I do not mean the ceremony but I mean the venues, environmentally friendly policy- possibly what you called primitive!!- and absence of scandals :blink: e.g. buying IOC votes...) .

Oh, I'll tell you what the Beijing ceremony is all about. It's a celebration of Chinese culture -- of what the oldest, continuing civilization on earth has contributed to humanity. This will be portrayed in its history, again, its myths and legends; its contributions; its accomplishments -- and its place as a modern society in today's contemporary world. That's what the 08/08 Ceremony will be.

We know what kind of thing we are going to see, we don't know the exact story. That was the case in Athens. Here we had a text with the the exact story of the ceremony, including the parade of athletes in a spiral way, the DNA, the parade about the history of Greece in parts, the olive tree, the lovers part, the drummers etc. We knew about the music of DJ Tiesto during the athletes parade.

Now we have only pictures and we know it's a celebration of Chinese culture. But that kind of information is also what the director of ceremonies of Athens told us before the ceremonies.

And I know that because I already was a member here at that time ;)

I am afraid that the general consensus (excluding possibly Mitt Romney and the American Media) is that the 1994 winter games were by far the best organised recent Winter Games and a golden standard to which all following winter games are compared ( I do not mean the ceremony but I mean the venues, environmentally friendly policy- possibly what you called primitive!!- and absence of scandals :blink: e.g. buying IOC votes...) .

Well, 1994 was the best organized until February 2002. After that, 1994 took a back seat to 2002. Torino was pronounced just a so-so Games; so 2002 still is King of the Hill at the moment.

Edited by baron-pierreIV