Opening Ceremony Details

anno

And even with 80 leaders -- it would still come out to only $500 million a head (of state).

All in all, still a CHEAP Olympics!!

A new master's discipline: Creative Olympic Accounting!!

well, not including Chinese cheap labour force. Creative Accounting, but cheaper and cheaper exchange rate of dollars.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And which is why I think, starting with Athens, they have now filmed the Lighting in the Final Dress Rehearsal (as they tape the rest of the Ceremony w/o the Athletes' March) as a back-up visual in the event of such glitches! And they also did it for Torino.

In both Athens and Torino they didn't perform the lightning during the final dress rehearsal (it's possible/likely that they rehearsed the lightning separately though, but they didn't during the last full ceremony dress rehearsal).

In both Athens and Torino they didn't perform the lightning during the final dress rehearsal (it's possible/likely that they rehearsed the lightning separately though, but they didn't during the last full ceremony dress rehearsal).

Well, we used to have a poster here who was a Torino volunteer. (He no longer posts here.) And as I had assured him, that all volunteers get 2 tickets to the final OC dress rehearsal, he was so grateful when it turned out to be so, that he fully recounted the lighting of the cauldron here (w/ Belmondo and all the fireworks), even drawing the lighting scheme for us -- as executed in the Final dress.

Which is why I mentioned Torino.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well, we used to have a poster here who was a Torino volunteer. (He no longer posts here.) And as I had assured him, that all volunteers get 2 tickets to the final OC dress rehearsal, he was so grateful when it turned out to be so, that he fully recounted the lighting of the cauldron here (w/ Belmondo and all the fireworks), even drawing the lighting scheme for us -- as executed in the Final dress.

Which is why I mentioned Torino.

Then I guess we didn't attend the same rehearsal.

I first talked to a journalist who attended the last dress rehearsal in Athens. All show he had seen, but not the lighting of the flame.

I think it's the organising committee who decides to light or not rehears also the lighting of the flame.

I think it's the organising committee who decides to light or not rehears also the lighting of the flame.

Well the Ceremonies producing team really. Ideally, of course they have to rehearse it -- they have to make sure it works; time it and do it in sync to the music; rehearse it with alternates, as well as the camera crew too, so they can get the most optimum shots.

But not always in public.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Word is the stadium was protected by "three separate fences and an army of security guards" (in addition to the Olympic Green's already tight security) during yesterday's full dress rehearsal. Three more rehearsals are planned.

Word is the stadium was protected by "three separate fences and an army of security guards" (in addition to the Olympic Green's already tight security) during yesterday's full dress rehearsal. Three more rehearsals are planned.

do you think there would be a Firework display in rehearsal?

I know for a fact there was a lighting rehersal in Athens at least 2 weeks before the games and the final rehersal. I have a photo in a magazine that shows the cauldron lit and the magazine went to press about 14 days before the start of Athens.

Found some pics and more general info:

12157681647541215768164po2.jpg

More here: http://www.cctv.com/program/sportsscene/20...11/103026.shtml

???...This wasn't the actual show. It was a dress rehearsal, almost a full month before the real thing. Obviously, they don't want anything leaked ...

Of course I KNOW that. Don't you think for someone's who's already done it once that I know? :rolleyes:

My point is...this is OVERKILL on the Chinese's part -- not unless the Uighurs or some disgruntled minorities in China sent word that they would disrupt dress rehearsals... Oh, shudder!!

But does BOCOG really think people are going to storm the stadium to get into mere REHEARSALS??? :blink: If anything, there's stlll nothing to prevent the volunteer-performers themselves from LEAKING out word or photos of what's going on. And the only repercussion to that, at least in the democratic countries, was that you were expelled from the cast -- and that was about it.

That is my point.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

SCOOP!

Some photos from OC rehearsals -- courtesy of IMHOscar over at Skyscrapercity:

200871218452476881.jpg

200871218515955910.jpg

As he opined, the huge stage on the infield will be very interactive and high-tech. I can just see it coming alive with images, and then performers pouring out of the bowels of the floor. So that's how they're going to do the earthquake and Earthen Warriors segments...

First, a lake; then a giant TV screen on the floor for '08. How can London possibly top this?

SCOOP!

Some photos from OC rehearsals -- courtesy of IMHOscar over at Skyscrapercity:

200871218452476881.jpg

200871218515955910.jpg

As he opined, the huge stage on the infield will be very interactive and high-tech. I can just see it coming alive with images, and then performers pouring out of the bowels of the floor. So that's how they're going to do the earthquake and Earthen Warriors segments...

First, a lake; then a giant TV screen on the floor for '08. How can London possibly top this?

sigh~somebody broke the top national secret. lol

well~why would be another lake......that's the feature of Athens already....

woa,.. i didnt knew that you can get so ecstatic barron!

The pictures look very promising but i have my provisos.

What i am expecting to see but dont want to see:

- Massperformances

- Chinese opera with fireworks

- Star-Guests

I just hope Zhang Yimou will avoid a cliché ceremony and will surprise us just like Papaioannou did.

- Massperformances

- Star-Guests

I just hope Zhang Yimou will avoid a cliché ceremony and will surprise us just like Papaioannou did.

New PICS LEAKED// EXCLUSIVE

A HUGE EARTH?

20080713_133740703b58932c8fcbHucXwKIig2wo.jpg

PAPER-LIKE SCREEN?

20080713_8d3b580809aeee1497dfCe24piGmfRN0.jpg

HUGE LCD COVER?

20080713_1519def28f083ea043541mSGmymM3hTf.jpg

sigh~somebody broke the top national secret. lol

well~why would be another lake......that's the feature of Athens already....

MJ, don't u get the flow? By 'the lake,' of course I meant Athens. Because then I went to Beijing -- and then London?

Does one have to SPELL everything out? :rolleyes:

U r such a belligerently competitive person. And this are your first Olympics? :rolleyes:

Chill.

BTW, the pictures u tried to post are a complete DUD!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

- Massperformances

- Star-Guests

Then savas, I am afraid you will be sorely disappointed. One of the things they had announced was the Ceremony would take on the format of Chinese opera. And why should one be surprised? That is their national art form. So are mass performances (afer all, bodies are one thing they've got most of -- more than any other nation on earth, so why not use that?) and fireworks -- since they invented that, too.

Then savas, I am afraid you will be sorely disappointed. One of the things they had announced was the Ceremony would take on the format of Chinese opera. And why should one be surprised? That is their national art form. So are mass performances (afer all, bodies are one thing they've got most of -- more than any other nation on earth, so why not use that?) and fireworks -- since they invented that, too.

Well, one of the performers expressed on her blog that the overall ceremony would be quite amazing, expecially those huge installation art pieces and the flying artistis

And the water, reminds of the scene 4 years ago.

The music might go really fresh & impressive but also predictable.

But she also says that the OC of Athens was turly a real challenge of Beijing, not just the innovation of the entire format but also the technology. Only 4 years of waiting you won't be top too advanced about the technology from the last one. Well, one thing to sure is that the concept of Beijing might follow the format of Athens but with a Chinese civilizaiton and legendary stories to be told

No massperformers, but a cool concept similar to Athens. That's what she told but no details allowed to be leaked yet.

To Baron, what's wrong with those pics, are they not available to be displayed?

The rest of the pictures from SC of the interior (though they don't show anything new) can be found here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.p...068&page=44

And Maryjane, your pictures aren't coming out as the simple, little box with a red 'x' (as is the case when images in a 'dynamic page' are attempted to be posted on a forum board, etc.), but it appears they were taken down by whatever website they were put up at.

Ah! So that LCD pattern on the roof's rim is the reason why the floodlights were covered. But I'm not going to lie - those flowers are so tacky. Better just be a test or something.

And it looks like that translucent sphere is the reason for that structure we saw months ago.

Interesting stuff to say the least. I may not step into this thread that much anymore though - don't want to get too spoiled ahah.