Peru 2016!?!

I don't know if this is a joke, a totally false report, or the Peruvians have no idea how biddding works. But came across this weird one in my daily searches:

Peru to bid to host 2016 Summer Olympics

Israel J. Ruiz

The government of Peru announced Wednesday afternoon that the Andean country would bid to host the 2016 Olympic events.

Authorities have confirmed their interest in bringing the Summer Olympics to Peru.

Although the deadline to submit bids was September 2007, the presidency of the republic issued a press release announcing that the country is to officially take its proposal before the International Olympic Committee.

Peru can provide the necessary conditions to host an event of this magnitude, said government representatives.

Cities that have already bid are Baku, Chicago, Doha, Madrid, Prague, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo. The seven cities have also submitted their application files, which were due by January 14, 2008.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is to meet in Athens in June to reduce the number of potential host cities. It is unknown how many will be eliminated.

The IOC will then choose the 2016 Games host city at its 121st session in Copenhagen, Denmark on October 2, 2009.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Olympic organizers have spent $9 million during the initial phase of the bid and are to spend another $49 million before the IOC chooses a host city.

It was noted that New York spent at least an estimated $50 million on a losing bid for the 2012 Summer Olympics.

The Chicago Tribune reported that a senior IOC member said that too much money was being spent to win the right to host the games.

Living in Peru.com

:blink::rolleyes::lol:

Okay, Roltel. I thought I was considered nuts by some of you, when I look for newspaper articles to prove or disprove my or other members' points here. But, this one ices the cake on the ludicrous and weird column. It is obvious that whoever wrote this article was really went to lunch on world affairs. <_<:rolleyes:

Okay, Roltel. I thought I was considered nuts by some of you, when I look for newspaper articles to prove or disprove my or other members' points here. But, this one ices the cake on the ludicrous and weird column. It is obvious that whoever wrote this article was really went to lunch on world affairs. <_<:rolleyes:

Well, I don't know if it's the writer, or some idiot from the Peruvian Government with delusions of grandeur!

Well, I don't know if it's the writer, or some idiot from the Peruvian Government with delusions of grandeur!

Whoever it was, that person is certainly deluded. I guess he needs to keep up here. :rolleyes:

Apparently it's a slow day in sports stories from South America. Plus, whoever in the Peruvian gov't who put this out obviously doesn't know thier basic facts.

Apparently it's a slow day in sports stories from South America. Plus, whoever in the Peruvian gov't who put this out obviously doesn't know thier basic facts.

I suppose it plays well to the voters in Lima. Maybe there's a by-election going on somewhere in Peru at the moment.

Anyway, a great week for nutter bid stories _ first Durban's 2018 winter games bid, and now Peru's late 2016 bid!

Well, it wasn't a joke. Reading some Peruvian newspapers, the government really announced their intention to bid.

Here is the first news at El Comercio, for those who understands Spanish. It says basically that Lima would be the "eigth candidate city" and that was an idea of President Alan García. Few hours later, 24 Horas Libre says that's impossible to bid for 2016 Games and then RPP Noticias talks to the Minister of Foreign Trade that Peru won't be a candidate for 2016, that they will bid for 2020 and that the move wasn't an idea to cover the possible changes in the government. oh god.

Is Peru’s Bid to Host the 2016 Summer Olympics Genius Move or Gigantic Blunder?

Written by Levi Novey

Published on May 27th, 2008Posted in Peru

Perhaps encouraged after their recent success in hosting the European Union and Latin American and Caribbean Summit, the office of Peru’s President, Alan Garcia Peréz, announced last week that Peru would bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympics. Never mind that the application deadline was in September of last year.

Critics of the plan emerged quickly, and Peru’s prime minister was equally fast to label the critics as “the same ones that some time ago said Peru couldn’t host the EU-LAC summit and were pessimistic when it was announced.” Peru’s current infrastructure does raise numerous doubts about how successful the Olympics could be in Peru. Lima would no doubt host the lion’s share of events, while Cuzco, Trujillo, Arequipa, and others cities might play a part as well. Traffic problems, environmental and social issues, and financial difficulties could all make the Olympics a disastrous and harmful event for Peru. But, also, despite what the critics might say, the move to bid for the Olympics might have been a brilliant and ingenious action thought up by President Alan Garcia’s staff.

An interesting scientific study and analysis by two researchers in a 1998 edition of the journal Leisure Studies points to a few tips for Peru. In their article “Olympic Games: Catalyst of Urban Change” (subscription required) Stephen Essex and Brian Chalkey discuss how most Olympics play a transformational role in the cities where they take place. They cite Barcelona, Spain’s excellent use of the 1992 Olympics to revamp its transportation routes and system, upgrade its sewage system, rehabilitate a “run-down coastal area” that housed failing industries with a marina and beaches, and also upgrade telecommunications technology, helping facilitate the growth of new business opportunities. Sydney, Australia is credited in 2000 with starting a new wave in sustainable development and green design for the Olympics. The authors also mention how Tokyo, Japan in 1964 and Seoul, South Korea in 1988 were successful in their efforts to build roads and enhance public health through revisions to sewage and waste disposal systems, air pollution programs, and water quality improvements. So when does an Olympics go wrong?

One of the key factors that causes a city to suffer from hosting an Olympics, according to Essex and Chalkey, is when the city chooses to construct new facilities through private funding, rather than restoring and enhancing old facilities through a combination of government and private funding. These “show facilities” are meant to provide a new image for a city and country, but often end up costing more money they are worth and are paid for and subsequently used by businesses and corporations that do little to provide jobs and economic development for local communities. In fact, they might help to widen the gap between those people who are most in need of economic jump-starts in their communities, and the wealthy tourists and locals who can afford to use these new facilities and attend Olympic events.

This privatized hijacking of sorts has been one of the criticisms made toward the Beijing, China Olympics that will be held later this year. It was also one of the major failings of the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia. On the other hand, in 1996, Montreal, Canada failed miserably by attempting to build an “Olympic Park” solely with public financing, and consequently put itself and its citizens in serious debt. Essex and Chalkey note that the Los Angeles, California Olympics of 1984 was a huge financial success largely because older facilities were used, and events were spread out throughout the city and outlying communities, so as to lessen the burden on traffic.

Traffic and transportation systems seem to be a major issue for hosting a successful Olympics. Essex and Chalkey describe how Mexico City’s 1968 Olympics caused a tremendous burden upon the transportation needs of the local population. They mention how protests were also initiated because many Mexican citizens believed that the money to pay for the Olympics should have been used to alleviate poverty instead. Atlanta likewise suffered in 1996 from terrible traffic congestion, as private funders did not invest in improving infrastructure like roads and public transportation.

So what does this all mean for Peru and Lima? It’s hard to say. Lima’s transportation system is currently inadequate for hosting an event on the scale of the Olympics. Recycling, waste management, and water treatment facilities are in need of tremendous improvements. But while it’s easy to dwell on these negatives, perhaps President Garcia and his staff envision the Peru Olympics mirroring those took place in Barcelona, Seoul, Tokyo, and Sydney. Also on the side of positive thinking, even those cities that fail in their efforts to win an Olympic bid sometimes are left with city improvements because of their efforts to try to win the right to host an Olympics.

While we can only speculate as to whether or not Lima and Peru would be able to have a successful Olympics, it still remains to be seen if the International Olympic Committee will accept Peru’s application after the deadline. In June of this year, the committee will create a short list of applicant cities who are still in contention. The final selection of which city will host the 2016 Olympics will occur in October of 2009. Other cities who have submitted applications include

Baku, Azerbaijin

Chicago, United States

Doha, Qatar

Madrid, Spain

Prague, Czech Republic

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

and Tokyo, Japan

Good luck, Peru. And cheers to your ambition and optimism President Garcia to advance your country, despite what challenges an Olympics in Peru might create.

Some interesting thoughts _ thopugh i still think it underestimates the challenges of someone like Peru hosting.

Google and ye shall find.

A grand total of one Gold (shooting in London 1948) and three Silvers (shooting in 1984, 1992 and volleyball in 1988)

So the last one was in 1992; and they expect the IOC doors to open to them for 2016? :rolleyes: Methinks the air in Lima is too thin. Not to mention, I think Lima is the most earthquake-prone capital in So. America. THere's too much coke in these Peruvians' diet.

oh no I'm so embarrassed, I hoped that piece of new didn't come here, but it happened, the horror the horror!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

please don't pay attention to the stupid president of my country, he is known like "crazy horse" and you don't know all the stupid thing that he does all day that I have to endure.

afortunately, peru's people don't believe him, because we know how stupid/crazy he is.

and what is more, about olympic themes, don't pay attetion to NOTHING from him, and don't think that peruvian people are so ignorant. :o

PD: the only good thing was that he gave the support for the Panamericans 2015 :P

Archived