Rio 2016 Olympic Projects

There are more projects plan for Rio than any other bids in the 2016 Olympic bid. Some of the project are as follow:

1. Rio 2016 project beltway works.

2. Urban Mobility Plan allocates funds to Rio’s transportation system(construction of new metro and train lines and bus corridors).

3.Investment in tourism

4.US$ 8.3 billion allocated to Rio’s Petrochemical Complex(Advanced technological chemical complex to reduce industrial air pollution).

5. Wonderful standard Rio's Shooting Center.

6.A standardized Olympic velodrome ready.

7.High speed rail to be built by the Japanese(One of the world most technology reknown nations).

8.New aquatic center ready used for Pan am.

9.Infrastruture work projects of various kind launched by the president.

10.Wireless internet reaching every area of the city.

11.Plan for the cleaning of pollution in lagoon area.

12.Government funding of projects to reduce traffic in Rio city.

13. Rio invests in badminton and table tennis practice in schools.

This is all very well and I don't think anyone has any doubt about Rio's efforts to be a serious candidate.

If Rio keeps going this way, there is little doubt that it will become an Olympic city in the future: we shall know in less than a month now whether Rio will be evaluated ready enough for 2016. In fact, having too many Olympic related projects could be seen as a source of risk...

Saying this, I don't think it's fair to say that Rio has "more project" than any other 2016 applicant city: Doha has also a lot of projects related to developping tourism and transport infrastructure, has work class sports venues from the 2006 Asian Games, wants to become the sports mecca of the region, Tokyo has ambitious waterfront redevelopment plans, so does Baku.

The fact is that Rio is in full communication mode while the others are quieter at the moment. Do not assume however that the other does not have equally impressive / ambitious projects.

This is all very well and I don't think anyone has any doubt about Rio's efforts to be a serious candidate.

If Rio keeps going this way, there is little doubt that it will become an Olympic city in the future: we shall know in less than a month now whether Rio will be evaluated ready enough for 2016. In fact, having too many Olympic related projects could be seen as a source of risk...

Saying this, I don't think it's fair to say that Rio has "more project" than any other 2016 applicant city: Doha has also a lot of projects related to developping tourism and transport infrastructure, has work class sports venues from the 2006 Asian Games, wants to become the sports mecca of the region, Tokyo has ambitious waterfront redevelopment plans, so does Baku.

The fact is that Rio is in full communication mode while the others are quieter at the moment. Do not assume however that the other does not have equally impressive / ambitious projects.

James thinks that by trumpeting Rio's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG list of things it needs to be taken seriously as an Olympic city, he's doing it a favor AND, as you said, that the OTHER cities are simply too STUNNED, thus will just sit down and NOT do anything in their own pursuits of the O dream. :blink:

Oh, james. That plus their commitments to 2014 would, if I were an IOC member, make me think: TOO complicated. Let's go elsewhere...

But, good job, james!!! ;)

There are more projects plan for Rio than any other bids in the 2016 Olympic bid. Some of the project are as follow:

1. Rio 2016 project beltway works.

2. Urban Mobility Plan allocates funds to Rio’s transportation system(construction of new metro and train lines and bus corridors).

3.Investment in tourism

4.US$ 8.3 billion allocated to Rio’s Petrochemical Complex(Advanced technological chemical complex to reduce industrial air pollution).

5. Wonderful standard Rio's Shooting Center.

6.A standardized Olympic velodrome ready.

7.High speed rail to be built by the Japanese(One of the world most technology reknown nations).

8.New aquatic center ready used for Pan am.

9.Infrastruture work projects of various kind launched by the president.

10.Wireless internet reaching every area of the city.

11.Plan for the cleaning of pollution in lagoon area.

12.Government funding of projects to reduce traffic in Rio city.

13. Rio invests in badminton and table tennis practice in schools.

James, you don't understand that not all the cities want to announce all their projects. Chicago has said that they will keep most of their plans close to their vest so that the rival cities cannot copy some of these ideas that'll give the bid an edge.

Rio is foolish to announce everything -- and thanks to you, you propagate that mistake. Like our friend Zainhasan from Pakistan whose Torch Relay plans were thwarted because (maybe) someone here squealed on him.

James, you don't understand that not all the cities want to announce all their projects. Chicago has said that they will keep most of their plans close to their vest so that the rival cities cannot copy some of these ideas that'll give the bid an edge.

Rio is foolish to announce everything -- and thanks to you, you propagate that mistake. Like our friend Zainhasan from Pakistan whose Torch Relay plans were thwarted because (maybe) someone here squealed on him.

Lol. I can only laugh at this if that is actually what Chicago`s plan is like. The bid book is the tenet and no secret about the infrstrutural plans there.

Maybe Chicago is not just too confident about what it has. If not why secret and think others will copy it plans?Hahaha...!

This is the only time am seeing Americans acting this way.

James, you do realise that after the selection of candidate cities the campaign will last for more than a year and that the full bid books are due by early next year? It makes perfect sense to keep things under cover for the next phase of the campaign (not to mention that the plans can be fine tuned until the bid books are delivered to the IOC).

You can bet Chicago will have great things to say: among them the plan for the Olympic Village.

Baron, I wonder about that Zaibhasan and that Torch Relay plans. I have no much time sometimes to check all the replies, but really want to know what he said.

James, you do realise that after the selection of candidate cities the campaign will last for more than a year and that the full bid books are due by early next year? It makes perfect sense to keep things under cover for the next phase of the campaign (not to mention that the plans can be fine tuned until the bid books are delivered to the IOC).

You can bet Chicago will have great things to say: among them the plan for the Olympic Village.

The plan for an olympic village is very simple and actually very inspired. The part of the Lake Michigan shoreline that they propose the village be placed has a high restriction for developers. Private Developers will get a wavier to build the village to above the Height laws and basically finance Village Privately . These Accoms will be turned into Condos in the million dollar per unit range and the Developers will Gross about 1 billion after the games. A simple wavier of Laws will take the liability of financing an athletes village completely off the Chicago OC's Books and even the Taxpayers of Chicago , Illinois and the United States .

Capitalism One has to acknowledge no one does it better then the USA and that indeed saved the Olympics in the 1980s. If Chicago wins 2016 it will probably save the Games once again after London 2012 has burning the viability of it in the forum they are pushing . a knee jerk reaction to Beijing 2008.

Jim jones

Lol. I can only laugh at this if that is actually what Chicago`s plan is like. The bid book is the tenet and no secret about the infrstrutural plans there.

Maybe Chicago is not just too confident about what it has. If not why secret and think others will copy it plans?Hahaha...!

This is the only time am seeing Americans acting this way.

Eh, I was going to type a response. I literally had it typed out. But I deleted it, cos it'd have been worthless trying to explain it.

If Chicago wins 2016 it will probably save the Games once again after London 2012

You do talk some bollocks.

The IOC just gave London 9.75/10 for their preperations, but as usual you think you know better than the experts.

The development going on in Brawil is amazing. Sao Palo has a booming construction work. Rio is experiencing infrastrutural development from transportation to communication.From housing-hotels accommondations to sport development. The basic things to host an Olympic are gradualy been put in place.

I think Rio and whole nation of Brazil is in tune to the hosting of the Olympic come 2018.

From the looks of it, it seems that James works for either the BOC or the Rio2016 (which happens to be the same :P ), because most of those news posted here by him from the Rio2016 site are close to zero when it comes to the city´s benefits.

Sure, we have a better governor right now, which seems to finally show some good points, unlike our past governors from the last 25 years (yes, THAT long), and he seems to have good intentions, but it is a looooong road ahead and, like I said lots of times here, bad mayor´s and sport president´s who look the Olympics as a way to get more money for them makes the "good intentions" only in the "intention" mode, and not transform that into a feasible project.

From the looks of it, it seems that James works for either the BOC or the Rio2016 (which happens to be the same :P ), because most of those news posted here by him from the Rio2016 site are close to zero when it comes to the city´s benefits.

Sure, we have a better governor right now, which seems to finally show some good points, unlike our past governors from the last 25 years (yes, THAT long), and he seems to have good intentions, but it is a looooong road ahead and, like I said lots of times here, bad mayor´s and sport president´s who look the Olympics as a way to get more money for them makes the "good intentions" only in the "intention" mode, and not transform that into a feasible project.

Whatever! Let`s wait for shortlist and see if Rio is among them or not, before you start acting like a traitor.

Whatever! Let`s wait for shortlist and see if Rio is among them or not, before you start acting like a traitor.

Why is he a traitor, james. He is just looking at things cooly and realistically, rather than letting sentiment cloud his judgement. If Rio gets the nod, I'm sure Rominger would be proud and support its efforts all the way. I'm sure he'll be hoping that Rio wins. But most of us are here to discuss bids disapassionately and realistically, whatever our personal wishes are.

Just like Australia's bid for the 2018 World Cup. Of course, I wish Australia well and hope it will win. I'll support our bid all the way. But do i think we'll win? _ No. Yet I'm still a patriotic Aussie.

Why is he a traitor, james. He is just looking at things cooly and realistically, rather than letting sentiment cloud his judgement. If Rio gets the nod, I'm sure Rominger would be proud and support its efforts all the way. I'm sure he'll be hoping that Rio wins. But most of us are here to discuss bids disapassionately and realistically, whatever our personal wishes are.

Just like Australia's bid for the 2018 World Cup. Of course, I wish Australia well and hope it will win. I'll support our bid all the way. But do i think we'll win? _ No. Yet I'm still a patriotic Aussie.

Ok! Sorry if that is an offense to you. But, I didn`t say he`s a traitor.

• 2 months later...

With the due respect to his opinon, I think our friend James lives somewhere else but Earth. I live in Rio. Reading the list James presented I felt myself as a stranger in the city. James says Rio has more projects than any other bidding city. Of course! Rio must have more projects because the city has much more troubles than the other bidding ones. For example, following the list James presented, the beltway he says works simply doesn´t exist. Exisitng projects are what cariocas name "factóides", i e, an idea a politician issues overnight to present the people as something done or to be done but that never will be. What is done is the Rio-Niteroi bridge, 31km of metro with 450 meters (450 meters) to be ready till next november. Among the projects, a new branch of the metro sistem UNDER the Guanabara Bay. By the way, this bay, after 15 years of ivestments, has had only 30% of improvement in the quality of its water. Tom Jobim and Santos Dummont airports have no capacity to deal with the internal demands and parts of Santos Dummont are still under restoration for the Panam Games. Will they be able to hold the demands of the Olympics? Bus corridors are planed to Avenida Brasil. What James doesn´t realize is that Avenida Brazil was projected almost 70 years ago. Try it on Mondays and Fridays and you will see the hell. There is no way to set appart a corridor for buses. This is a stupid idea. The same applies to the old trains: they link downtown D. Pedro II station to places like western Santa Cruz and their cars are always overcrowded. It is true, Rio invests in tourism, like any other city. The question is that the investments are focused on Carnival, New-Year days, but this kind of investment doesn't matter for the Olympics. Rio´s Petrochemical Complex is expected to pollute the air and ecologists have been warning the Government about this. The high speed rail (TAV - Trem de Alta Velocidade) is only a project the Government announced. According to the news, it will link Campinas-São Paulo-Rio, but it will not help Rio´s bid. The projects the President launched are part of a program named PAC - Programa de Acelereção do Crescimento. It includes lots of things. A few of them would help Rio´s bid, if they are completed. Just to have an idea of what PAC is, have a look in the investments up to the Petrobras, also included in the PAC: biodiesel, prospection of oil in the South Atlantic deeps and so on. How wil it be helpful to Rio´s bid? Wireless internet in every area of the city? There are places in the city - like some areas of Bangu - where you have no signal to cel fones! In Rio, the Governement don´t fight the traffic. Traffic fight the Government. It is almost a civil war and people die everyday: policemen, bandits and citizens. I really would like to know where are located the schools the Government invest in badminton and table tennis. Part of what James says is true: the velodrome, the shooting center. Maria Lenk acquatic center was built for the Panam but needs to be almost completely adapted to host the Olympics. I live here. I think Rio has the perfect landscape to stage the Olympics. But it´s just a dream.

/\ /\

Bienvenidos, Pedro.

It is most refreshing to get someone as candid as you are about the 'illusions' and liabilities of Rio's bid (as all of the bids do) and as compared to the other Brazilian posters who go on a rampage once a disparaging or negative word is said about Rio's chances.

Your comments are really very interesting (and I would still like to visit Rio some day.)

BTW, 'James' was a troll and no longer posts here. He had us going for awhile.

I think that someone as level-headed and realistic as you would have a good time on this forum.

Bienvenido ? Baron we speak PORTUGUESE :D

You must say "Bem vindo" ;)

And Like Baron , I agree with Pedro , but to fair not only Rio has problemas unfortunately, Brazil is having a very good economical moment but we still have a lot of issues to take care of . I'm satisfied with the 2014 WC so far , Olympic Games maybe in 25 or 30 years .

You do talk some bollocks.

The IOC just gave London 9.75/10 for their preperations, but as usual you think you know better than the experts.

Well yeah so what Rob . The Fact is that with 4 years to go and a price tag of 19 billion dollars there is room for escalation . 4 TOPs Sponsors pulling out because of London 2012's demand rate for sponsorship don't meet the Market Value of the UK.

I would not doubt this ends up much higher then 19 billion and that would be damaging to the Movement from the standpoint of hosting interest. Who cares about the Back slapping by the IOC you can have the best preparations but if you ignore the basic fact that London is breaking all logical records on staging the Games Reasonably then it is truly a False Reality.

Jim jones

The whole media is kinda "hot" for Brazil right now. We've gone from a moment when all you could hear about Brazil was violence and lack of infrastructure (in the beginning of the bidding process) to another at which Brazil is the country of the future, the new China, with infinite oil and huge infrastructure investments and and all that (right now). Brazil wasn't as bad as it was described in the past, and isn't as good as it`s being described now. But, when it comes to the 2016 Olympics, the timing couldn't be any better.

i dont think its anywhere near to the "new China" but certainly if it plays its cards right can become very successful as a nation economically/politically/sportinglyish.

bidding for 2016,so soon after 2014 could be a good and bad thing. the IOC will be less willing if Rio loses and wants to win the bid 1 year before it hosts the FIFA WC in 2014.

i dont think its anywhere near to the "new China" but certainly if it plays its cards right can become very successful as a nation economically/politically/sportinglyish.

bidding for 2016,so soon after 2014 could be a good and bad thing. the IOC will be less willing if Rio loses and wants to win the bid 1 year before it hosts the FIFA WC in 2014.

well certainly the IOC could take a Wait and see what indeed happens in 2014 and the World Cup but also on the opposite scale they could also see this as a great open window in Brazil Infrastructure to award for 2016. we know it certainly has been done that a world cup and the summer Olympics coming to a country in the space of tow years.

"new China " no but certainly a time in Brazil's history of economic stability and good growth. Rio will Either win it for 2016 or Hopefully be encouraged enough if they don't to bid on 2020 and probably win. The Desire is there to go to South America and Rio is the most logical place. American Tv will love the possibilities of RIO as an Olympic Backdrop. The 2016 bid the IOC will win with sponsorship ans tv rights if it is Rio or Chicago and that makes it a hard choice.

Jim jones

Archived