Milan Prevent Kaka From Going To Olympics

I find this very disappointing: Milan prevent Kaka from going to Olympics

The only way this will be beneficial is if the United States plays Brazil during the tournament. But if Brazil is in the semifinal i have tickets to, I will be very upset if AC Milan keep me from the chance if watching Kaka in person. This is extremely disappointing considering that the excuse we've been hearing from Milan is that they would need Kaka for the Champions League qualifying rounds. So I was very excited today when Fiorentina won and knocked AC Milan out of the CL altogether. Hours later Milan pull this crud out of their sleeve.

So, what's the bid deal?

It's pretty normal Milan wouldn't risk its most talented jewel for such a low-profile torunament.

The big deal is that they've been using the champions league as the excuse for not letting him go, and now it comes out they've been misleading people who want to see him in Beijing and have been following Serie A to see if Milan will qualify or not.

Also, any tournament that Kaka wants to play in is high-profile enough for me.

Rei you have to remember that Brazilian football authorities have said that the football gold medal at these Olympics is of the highest priority to them because it has been the one title in international football Brazil has never won.

The problem with your stance, Rei, is that the Olympics are a FIFA-sanctioned tournament and if Kaka is selected as one of the three over-23 players allowed in the squad, Milan have to release him. Same applies to Argentina's Javier Mascherano of Liverpool. They may not like it, but they know that if he is picked, he has to go.

That's a different argument. I personally would be inclined to make it a totally under-23 tournament without any over-age players. But for as long as a certain number of overage players are allowed, clubs will just have to live with it whether they like it or not.

It always amuses me that clubs sign these overseas players then moan when they are required to go and play for their countries. It's not as though there isn't a simple alternative.

It always amuses me that clubs sign these overseas players then moan when they are required to go and play for their countries. It's not as though there isn't a simple alternative.

100% agree.

It's hypocrisy at its best. They know the players are good (that's why they sign them in the first place) so likely to make the national team and still...

100% agree.

It's hypocrisy at its best. They know the players are good (that's why they sign them in the first place) so likely to make the national team and still...

I think there is national interest on this too, AC Milan is an Italian club that would obviously want Italy to do well internationally and would therefore try to prevent players for the other sides of non-Italian origin from playing. This is a major problem with professional sports (it crippled certain teams at the SLC games in 2002 and has prevented Canadian players to take part in baseball tournaments even those in the minor leagues).

Though from my understanding football contacts always have the stimulation that nation team comes first.

I think there is national interest on this too, AC Milan is an Italian club that would obviously want Italy to do well internationally and would therefore try to prevent players for the other sides of non-Italian origin from playing

I don't think that's true. That's not something I've heard happen in football before.

Hypocrisy? They invested in him.

Players are not machines you can recharge every time you want and for how much are paied it seems fair to dnot risk them at all. Now, a WC or Copa America are surely worth of it but I couldn't say the same for the Olympics.

and Faster I can assure you that Milan as any other serie club really don't care much about Italian National team. They mostly want to prevent useless risks for their multipaid talents. Strangers or natives they are.

I agree with arwebb. They should make it an u23 tournament.

BTW Kaka could be stopped by a knee operation on this summer.

On a much low degree than a World or Continetal tournament anyway. They should pull soccer out of the Olympics. Waste of energies.

I agree with you on this one, Rei. It's really such a big drain and imposition on the organizers/host country to have this pseudo-world class tournament alongside more senior competition. Minus football in the SOGs, smaller countries could really qualify to host the Games.

The same argument applies to tennis as well. There has already been 4 or 5 major players say they won't go. In what other sport at the games do people say, ya know what, I don't think the Olympics are that important to me.

Hypocrisy? They invested in him.

Players are not machines you can recharge every time you want and for how much are paied it seems fair to dnot risk them at all. Now, a WC or Copa America are surely worth of it but I couldn't say the same for the Olympics.

and Faster I can assure you that Milan as any other serie club really don't care much about Italian National team. They mostly want to prevent useless risks for their multipaid talents. Strangers or natives they are.

I agree with arwebb. They should make it an u23 tournament.

BTW Kaka could be stopped by a knee operation on this summer.

Is it Kaka from Brazil or Italy? It shouldn't be any of the commercial FC interrupt from the arrangement of the national official.

I doubt that. <_<

Which is why I don't like the thought of pro golf in the Olympics. Amateur golf wouldn't be so much of a problem.

But there is no real amateur golf and until the WTP and ATP, the PGA and EGA want the Olympics to be a big deal with golf. The Olympics are about the best possible athletes in each sport. No one is going to pay to see a bunch of amateurs win an Olympic gold medal with a 9 over.