Euro 2008

Anyway, now that I've slept the whole thing over, here's my prediction. Since we're so close to the aim we strived for in the last two years, I'd be a fool to be a pessimist now.

So I predict

Germany-Spain 2-1.

Of course it will be incredibly tough tonight. But our team, as lousy as its performance against Turkey was, has proven that it's able to fight even in such difficult situations. Who did believe in a German victory against Portugal, after Löw was suspended, Frings had his rib injury and especially after the bad performances against Croatia and Austria? The current situation with Ballack and the performance against Turkey is pretty much like a déjà vu for me. Those men will be hungry to show the world their true abilities again. Again: They won't dominate Spain as easily as Portugal. But they'll gain enough dominance to win this match.

Bring it home, boys!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Olympian2004,

are you staying at home and watching the final?

I'll watch it with with some friends and family on the terrace of one of my friends, here in Haan. And regardless of what the result will be, we'll probably go to the city centre afterwards and celebrate more or less (hopefully more! ;)).

Are you and your friend watching the match alone?

What I wonder is if this achievement (our last final in a big tournament was back in 1984 against France) will be a revulsive for our bid with Portugal for the WC2018 (in technical aspects, eight of the accredited 5-star UEFA Stadiums are located in Portugal and Spain, which is the most of any current European-based bid).

I don't think it would make a shred of difference to be honest. You may have all these five-star grounds, but the biggest problem that an Iberian bid would have is the balance. I don't see how Portugal could be an equal partner in the bid, in the same way that Ireland was not Scotland's equal partner in the bid for Euro 2008. And we all know how badly they ended up doing.

Anyway, from this year there will be a renewed version of the trophy which I find one of the most pretty in sport.

340x.jpg

MUCH prettier in this scaled up version and without that heavy, uncomfortable marble plinth. Still, the 'Big Ears' (Champions League) is the prettiest of all trophies B)

Anyways, go Spain! Great effort by Torres in that goal.

Spain deserved to win and they did, full credit to them. I said it at the start of this thread and still maintain it now, if Germany had to lose, I would be most happy with Spain winning.

Its obviously disappointing because I am not a neutral and wanted Germany to win, but its better to lose to the better team and Spain fully deserved it.

To underachieve you need to have realistic expectations.

Iker Casillas is probably the man of the tournament.

Lehmann made a big mistake on that goal, he fumbled it badly, but after the Turkey match its not like it was unexpected.

The thing is that Spain have had very good sides in the past, and they haven't done as well as they've been expected to. World Cup 98 comes to my mind straightaway.

As for England, though, what gets me is the hype. You watch what happens if we qualify for the next World Cup. All of a sudden we'll all be being told that we can win it and all this nonsense.

Well done Spain! Far better throughout the tournament than their opponents and easily better over the 90 minutes. As one of our commentators said, that was a "1-0 annihilation"

Oh, and poor old Ballack! Lost the Carling Cup final, then the Premier League on the final day, then the Champions League final on penalties, and now the final of the Euros!!

The thing is that Spain have had very good sides in the past, and they haven't done as well as they've been expected to. World Cup 98 comes to my mind straightaway.

As for England, though, what gets me is the hype. You watch what happens if we qualify for the next World Cup. All of a sudden we'll all be being told that we can win it and all this nonsense.

Exactly, the English press over-hype the English chances, England hasn't had a good team since 1996. I remember before 2002, 2004 and 2006 there was tonnes of press about this being England's year. But they don't have the skill to back it up.

In truth England has performed as they probably should have since 1998, losing to Argentina, Brazil in 2002 and Portugal in 2004 and 2006. The only result out of the tournaments since 1996 was the result in 2000, with Germany under-performing England should have not lost to Romania. Its not like England has gone out to teams that are weaker than them on paper.

Spain on paper has been the best team since 2002 and before, Spain always has the best team but the infighting between the Spanish, Basque and Catalan has always been the problem.

Archived