Euro 2008

Logic dictates that the fairytale run ends here for the Turks, but funny things happen in sport sometime and many funnier than Turkey getting to the final have happened in the past. Given how they came back against Croatia in the quarter-final, I personally would take absolutely nothing for granted.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Logic dictates that the fairytale run ends here for the Turks, but funny things happen in sport sometime and many funnier than Turkey getting to the final have happened in the past. Given how they came back against Croatia in the quarter-final, I personally would take absolutely nothing for granted.

I am expecting Germany to win, but I am not making plans for a German party on Sunday night.

Croatia screwed themselves over, they were already celebrating before the game was over and it gave the Turks the opening they needed. Any mature, old organized and experience coached team would not have done that. Look at Italy in 2006, they scored late but still maintained their heads for the last 5ish minutes and scored anymore because Germany was putting everything forward.

The Croatia result is a one in a million one. I've never seen a team concede so late in a game and still come back. I'm not sure it was so much Croatian celebration but just a great strike.

if that had been the Dutch, Russians, Italians, French, Germans, Portuguese, Brazilians, and Argentines, the experienced teams, they would have got that ball away.

There has been talk of doing away with the 3rd place match at the WC.

I hope not.

I've always watched them just to see who would earn the 3rd position at the podium. That, plus it's not like either of the teams have nothing to lose out on when playing this match. I hope that they'll keep them and introduce them from the next EURO competition onwards.

I hope not.

I've always watched them just to see who would earn the 3rd position at the podium. That, plus it's not like either of the teams have nothing to lose out on when playing this match. I hope that they'll keep them and introduce them from the next EURO competition onwards.

The European Championships have gone without a 3rd place game for some time, since 1984.

Italy got what they deserved tonight - nothing.

Sour grapes, arwebb? :rolleyes:

WELL, it's clear that the Spain of last night was at its best (as never before). I couldn't say the same for the old aged Italy by missing key players like Cannavaro and Pirlo and which anyway reached quarters after passing an exhausted group.. but people seem to forget all this stuff and slips into easy judgements.

And anyway Italy succeed to block and contain the formidable spanish attack for 120'. Call it boring, tactical or whatever else but these are the facts.

Honor to Spain for being so talented and getting mature for a major tournament. They absolutely deserve a spot in the semi. Hope the winner of Spain-Russia will win the title.

No sour grapes at all from me. But however you try to paint it, the Italian performance on Sunday night was thoroughly negative. And let's not forget they were extremely fortunate to even be in the quarter-finals.

I have to agree with arwebb there. No offence, Rei.

I just feel that Italy's preformance was just horid, they were overated. To lose to the Dutch and to draw with Romania with such scorelines is just horrid for a team that won the World Cup barly two years ago. The same for the French !

Well, Rei, we can find excuses for anything. A tough group stage, the loss of players, the manager...

But in the end, only one thing remains: Regarding what they are (World Champion) and what they wanted to become (European Champion), Italy's performance was disappointing. I've heard and seen many Italians saying that as well. And you know it, too. So I don't know why you react with such outrage just because we dare to point at the mistakes the Italian team committed.

Turkey had a tough group as well -- but they showed spirit and thus not only survived the group stage, but also the quarter-final. Even with some important players already missing!

So why didn't Italy deliver such a performance, such a kind of determination as well? I missed their fighting spirit and their absolute hunger for reaching the semi-final and maybe also playing for the title. They were absolutely disappointing against the Netherlands, they improved against Romania (but not enough to decide that match) and they won against a very weak French team. Against Spain, they were astonishingly weak in their offensive (although that was the part of team where they didn't have a loss of players).

All that leads also me to the conclusion that the Italian team was overrated. The whole world expected more of the current World Champion -- and a team which originally strived for the European title as well.

It seems that that the German media, the coach along with nearly every player on the team is overestimating and giving Turkey a lot more credit as well as praises than they deserve. They speak of us (Turkey) as if we're some record breaking world Champions who must be feared and played against quite seriously. I think that they're trying to not to underestimate us (which is understandable) but it looks quite the opposite when they speak to the media about our team. :P

Fatih Terim seems to be very confident and happy that Turkey will (hopefully) be giving the Germans a run for their money. He also doesn't care all that much about the staggering amount of players who wont be able to play. He's just determined to "fight" with every tooth and nail.

It seems that that the German media, the coach along with nearly every player on the team is overestimating and giving Turkey a lot more credit as well as praises than they deserve. They speak of us (Turkey) as if we're some record breaking world Champions who must be feared and played against quite seriously. I think that they're trying to not to underestimate us (which is understandable) but it looks quite the opposite when they speak to the media about our team. :P

Fatih Terim seems to be very confident and happy that Turkey will (hopefully) be giving the Germans a run for their money. He also doesn't care all that much about the staggering amount of players who wont be able to play. He's just determined to "fight" with every tooth and nail.

Its just showing the Turkish team a level of respect they deserve by reaching the semi-finals of the European Championships. Turkey is a team to be feared because they keep going for it.

Its unfortunate Turkey will be suffering from 4 suspensions and 5 injuries tomorrow but we will see.

Interesting match tonight Turkey "The lucky team" VS Germany. Although Turkey will lost their 9 players but with their luck -and their fighting spirit, and their determination, and their bla bla bla-, It' will be very interesting match.

I want to : Germany 3 - 0 Turkey

But for the real match, anything can happen, maybe Turkey can force Germany until the shoot out ? Or maybe Turkey can make another miracle ? Let's see how luck Turkey tonight :)

Interesting match tonight Turkey "The lucky team" VS Germany. Although Turkey will lost their 9 players but with their luck -and their fighting spirit, and their determination, and their bla bla bla-, It' will be very interesting match.

But for the real match, anything can happen, maybe Turkey can force Germany until the shoot out ? Or maybe Turkey can make another miracle ? Let's see how luck Turkey tonight :)

Germany hasn't lost on penalties is about 32 years, last time was in 1976 against Czech Republic in the final.

Tanaka, it looks like the Turks are all spent. Injuries, etc., so on paper Germany is stronger.

It seems that that the German media, the coach along with nearly every player on the team is overestimating and giving Turkey a lot more credit as well as praises than they deserve. They speak of us (Turkey) as if we're some record breaking world Champions who must be feared and played against quite seriously.

mhh - don't forget that Löw, the German coach, was coach in Istanbul for several year....

mhh - don't forget that Löw, the German coach, was coach in Istanbul for several year....

True. B)

Both BILD and Hürriyet Newspaper Publications from Germany and Turkey respectively ran articles about letting nothing but "Friendship and Brotherhood" be the winner of tonight's match which I thought is a nice gesture for all sides to take into account.

5863684.jpg

Kardeşlik = brotherhood

True. B)

Both BILD and Hürriyet Newspaper Publications from Germany and Turkey respectively ran articles about letting nothing but "Friendship and Brotherhood" be the winner of tonight's match which I thought is a nice gesture for all sides to take into account.

5863684.jpg

Kardeşlik = brotherhood

I have seen interviews with the two Chief-editors of BILD and HÜRRIYET, where the two said, that the called each other and make a deal, that the two newspapers want to support a match in friendship...

Poster in the BILD "Finally The Friendship will win" (pdf)

After all the efforts done by the media, by the Turkish lobby groups and the German politicians, I'm pretty optimistic that this night will become a huge German-Turkish celebration -- regardless of who wins. Although probably, if Germany loses, the German supporters will not be as enthusiastic about celebrating as the Turkish supporters would be if Turkey lost. Turkey has already achieved more at this EURO than they probably expected themselves, while it would be more bitter for Germany to miss the final a second time in two years.

That leads me to my prediction. And as much as I respect the enormous fighting spirit of the Turks, I don't think that it will be sufficient this time, with all those painful losses of players. The German team will take this match very seriously, since they absolutely want to reach the final (especially Michael Ballack who was denied the final of a big tournament twice).

And so my prediction is:

Germany-Turkey 3-1

Or maybe the match will be so defensive that it will be only a 1-0? Or a 1-1 with penalty shoot-out? Anyway, I hope for an offensive match.

Archived