Euro 2008

How ironic but fitting that the only team that could stop Holland in its tracks was one that was managed by a fellow Dutchman and a former national coach!!

Guus Hiddink has worked his magic again.He will be a hero in Russia but he may have to keep his head down for a while when he's next in Amsterdam or Utrecht!! ;)

I am disappointed for the Dutch after their magnificent run at Euro 2008 but I must confess that the Russians deserved to win.They contained their opponents beautifully (with the help of inside knowledge from their Dutch coach no doubt) and had much the better of the game.They had far more chances at goal so their 3-1 win was,in the end,thoroughly deserved!

So yet another underdog makes it through to the semi-finals.Will Spain make it a hat-trick tomorrow (as they always regard themselves as underdogs against Italy)!

But bravo and farewell to Holland for helping to make this competition such a joy to watch.My prediction for the final has now gone out of the window but I remain confident that Germany will be one of the finalists!!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, all quarter-final winners played a meaningful 3rd group stage game.

Also there was only 3 new teams in this tournament from 4 years ago, yet only Portugal and Netherlands made it into the quarter-finals both times.

In the last 3 tournaments, there has only been 2 repeat semi-finalist, Netherlands and Portugal, Italy could become the 3rd. Though the semi-finalists will all be different from 4 years ago, and 3 of them did not make it out of group competition last time and Turkey wasn't even at the competition.

Unbelievable Russia played a very beautiful games... only a dutchman who can defeat the dutch boys :), all of the semifinalist (until now) is the runner up of the group from 1st round

today's prediction :

Spain 2 - 0 Italy

I am sticking to my 2-2 4-5 on penalties result for Italy. I hope Spain wins.

The odds

Germany 7:4

Spain 7:2

Russia 4:1

Italy 5:1

Turkey 14:1

I have enjoyed this tournament, but don't agree with the person (it had to have been Rob or arwebb) that said that this tournament is better than the 2006 World Cup. Both tournaments have their merits, but I like watching the different styles of play at World Cup, each continent outside of Europe has a pattern of play that is interesting to see how they play against each other. And I would take watching the likes of Cote d'Ivoire, Argentina, Ghana and Brazil over watching teams like Greece, Austria, Czech Republic and Poland any day.

And I would take watching the likes of Cote d'Ivoire, Argentina, Ghana and Brazil over watching teams like Greece, Austria, Czech Republic and Poland any day.

I don't think the Czech Republic belongs to that list, Faster. For the most part, they were one of the most competitive teams and have always given their best in the 3 games that they've played. So I think that they deserve a lot more credit, even though they were stopped short from qualifying through to the quarter finals. The other three haven't been all that great though Austria did manage to surprise quite a lot of us I would say.

I don't think the Czech Republic belongs to that list, Faster. For the most part, they were one of the most competitive teams and have always given their best in the 3 games that they've played. So I think that they deserve a lot more credit, even though they were stopped short from qualifying through to the quarter finals. The other three haven't been all that great though Austria did manage to surprise quite a lot of us I would say.

Its the way they play, not the results.

@ Olympian, when was the last couple of times that Turkey and Germany played against each other and what was the score. :P

Archived