Euro 2008

Well done Spain! Far better throughout the tournament than their opponents and easily better over the 90 minutes. As one of our commentators said, that was a "1-0 annihilation"

Oh, and poor old Ballack! Lost the Carling Cup final, then the Premier League on the final day, then the Champions League final on penalties, and now the final of the Euros!!

Not to mention a previous Champions League final and 2002 World Cup final.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I'd go as far as that. Going into 2006, there was big expectation and rightly so because we had been told that this was the time after the building process through 2002 and 2004. But the team didn't live up to their potential and the management picked the wrong personnel in key areas. I don't think that will happen under the current incumbent.

Still, given that Spain have won the Euros, that presumably means England win the next World Cup. You heard it here first.

My true and heartfelt congratulations to Spain and its national football team for this (more than) deserved title!

Europe has, once again, a great champion, one that elevates the true value and worth of this sport. The most consistent AND entertaining team, eliminating the European and World champions, as well as forever-contenders Germany, in the final. Can a champion be more deserved?

I assume that now means that England take the title of 'perennial underachievers'.

I guess so. But we're not far behind... :P At least, concerning the hype build-up towards the final tournaments -- which is getting common and common, by the years -- that is not confirmed in the end, when it matters.

Oh, and poor old Ballack! Lost the Carling Cup final, then the Premier League on the final day, then the Champions League final on penalties, and now the final of the Euros!!

An 'almost' season for him, it seems...

Still, given that Spain have won the Euros, that presumably means England win the next World Cup. You heard it here first.

... and we'll again reach the semifinals :lol: ... and be eliminated by you <_<

Oh dear... What a dreadful performance. But I'm probably repeating myself, after the comparable matches against Croatia, Austria and Turkey. Only with the exception that our team didn't manage to score just a single goal this time.

I always thought before this match, "Even if they lose, I hope that they do it gracefully, after having given their best". But they played nervously, didn't press enough (only for about ten minutes each in both halves), committed terrible passing mistakes again -- and all that after Jogi Löw promised a far better performance than against Turkey.

Maybe it was cocky to expect yet another miracle like against Portugal. How they managed to achieve that one while playing such a cr*p for four of six matches, will remain a mystery to me.

However, we can call ourselves very lucky that we are now Vice European Champion. It's an achievement nevertheless, regarding what happened in the two previous EUROs. After this tournament, life goes on anyway and now we aim for 2010, but hopefully also with a completely different mental attitude of the team.

The most heartfelt congratulations to Spain who are an absolutely deserved European Champion! I'm very glad -- although I certainly didn't expect it before the tournament -- that they've finally broken their spell and showed strong nerves, high determination and (most of all) a generally very entertaining and artistic game at this tournament. I very much hope that this success will lead to more and hopefully enduring support among the Spanish people for their national team.

No disgrace in being beaten by the best side in the tournament and that is what Spain were. I assume that now means that England take the title of 'perennial underachievers'.

England have probably always held that title in European terms as they have never got to the final of a European championship unlike Spain which has now been at 3 European finals (1964,1986 and 2008) and won 2 of them!

And probably last.I think that can best be summed up as the triumph of hope over expectation! England have a great deal of work to do before they can again become truly competitive on the international scene. I think we have to look ahead to Euro 2012 and World Cup 2014 (in England?) before we can hope to see England start to progress again!

OMG! This country has gone crazy!! :lol:

It's almost impossible to drive in the center of Madrid!! Thousands of people are in the street now everywhere in Spain.

¡PODEMOS! :rolleyes:

I think we had a decent enough team in 2002.

Anyway, now's not the time to talk about England. Viva Espagna!!

In all honesty...did anybody REALLY miss England's presence at Euro 2008??

I certainly didn't.I know it sounds un-patriotic of me but I confess that I enjoyed a thoroughly relaxing 3 weeks with some great football in some great settings with a great,friendly atmosphere without having to worry about England's chronic under-performances on the pitch and the behaviour off it of that small minority of our so-called 'fans' that nearly always manages to make strouble and spoil the party for everyone else! <_<

Now I guess I'll sit back and get shot down in flames by some of the other Brits!! ;)

Anyway...bravo and congratulations Espana on your second European trophy in 44 years and also to Germany for making it to yet another European final and to the other teams especially Holland,Russia and Turkey for providing us with such entertaining football and a big thank-you to Austria and Switzerland for being such great hosts and to the thousands of fans from all over Europe who helped make Euro 2008 such a big,friendly,exciting party.Roll-on Euro 2012!!! :D

And probably last.I think that can best be summed up as the triumph of hope over expectation! England have a great deal of work to do before they can again become truly competitive on the international scene. I think we have to look ahead to Euro 2012 and World Cup 2014 (in England?) before we can hope to see England start to progress again!

Bah humbug! When you support a fourth division football team, you get used to employing blind hope over sanity.

I'll watch it with with some friends and family on the terrace of one of my friends, here in Haan. And regardless of what the result will be, we'll probably go to the city centre afterwards and celebrate more or less (hopefully more! ;)).

Are you and your friend watching the match alone?

I had been with some friends in front of a bar - it was warm outside and no rain - therefore it was really fun (the bench before and the bench behind us were the most entertaining one - we had really fun!!!) - one of my friends is a bodybuilder with more than 100 kg and the bench broke and we five people fall down - but notbody was injured

Fireworks everywhere...will normal people be able to sleep in this country tonight? <_<

CONGRATULATIONS to Spain - a very deserved championships! The German team was good in the first 10-20 minutes and when they hadn't been able to score a goal it was obvious that Spain will win... The goal was a good one! Congratulations again - I am glad for Spain since the last international success of the Spanish team is 24 years ago

In all honesty...did anybody REALLY miss England's presence at Euro 2008??

I think the answer to that question, from my point of view, is yes and no.

I certainly haven't missed the hype that seems to go with England in a major tournament. I haven't missed the good name of 99.99% of English football supporters being tarnished by the moronic fraction and the usual stereotypical rubbish that seems to go with that. (Just for the record, there were more than 150 arrests before and after the Germany v Poland game in the group stage.)

But, for all that, it just ain't the same for me when we're not there. I haven't had the feeling of looking at other teams and thinking that I don't want us to run into them further down the line. And, whatever we think of football otherwise, the major tournaments do seem to bring us all together in a way that doesn't happen otherwise. So, bring on South Africa in two years time. In Fabio I trust!

Oh dear... What a dreadful performance. But I'm probably repeating myself, after the comparable matches against Croatia, Austria and Turkey. Only with the exception that our team didn't manage to score just a single goal this time.

Defensively they were just all over the place and the delivery from set pieces in particular was dreadful.

I certainly haven't missed the hype that seems to go with England in a major tournament. I haven't missed the good name of 99.99% of English football supporters being tarnished by the moronic fraction and the usual stereotypical rubbish that seems to go with that. (Just for the record, there were more than 150 arrests before and after the Germany v Poland game in the group stage.)

I guess that's what I was getting at too.The predictable hype and over-expectation from our media that bears no resemblance to the quality of England's performances and the predictable behaviour of the morons (tiny fraction as they indeed are).I was aware of the trouble before the Germany-Poland game but it seemed to be quickly contained and it was the only instance I heard about (I guess I'm a little sensitive on the issue again after witnessing the shocking setback of Rangers fans' behaviour in Manchester a few weeks ago)!

But, for all that, it just ain't the same for me when we're not there. I haven't had the feeling of looking at other teams and thinking that I don't want us to run into them further down the line. And, whatever we think of football otherwise, the major tournaments do seem to bring us all together in a way that doesn't happen otherwise. So, bring on South Africa in two years time. In Fabio I trust!

Again,I understand what you mean.I also would love to have England there competing with the best but not the England we've been faced with in the past.I want to see a new England that,for the first time for many years,has a realistic expectation of getting to a final and puts in the performances to justify it.If Fabio can succeed where so many others have failed...brilliant! But,until then,I'm personally content to wait for as long as it takes (hopefully before I've grown TOO old to care)! ;)

Congratulation Spain !!!

10 minutes in the early 1st half I guess Germany will win the match, but after a small mistake by Lehmann, Spain got their 1st and the only goal... I just wondering why Lehmann came out at that time, at time there is Lahm who pressing Torres, so the chance for Torres to get the goal is not 100%...

2nd half I'm surprised when Lahm replaced by Jansen, Why Low made that decision ? I think Lahm has better attacking ability, and I became more surprised when Low replaced Klose with Gomez, fortunately for Germany, Lehmann made 2 great save...

Anyway, there will be a lot of great team in 2010 from euro, Spain, Germany, The Netherlands, and Portugal have a very young talented team that I thought will be mature in 2010, I hope Italy, France and England could reformat their team too, so they can compete with Spain, Germany, Portugal and The Netherlands :)

..eliminating the European and World champions, as well..

Well, at least they were the only side which forced Spain to penalties before passing over. B)

anyway, Grande Spagna! Congratulazioni!

Today is when I remember our volleyball and futsal national teams. They have also won the last European Championships but very few people here in Spain know it. When they won they were less than a minute on the TV news, the news today are all about football, football and football. But, hey, I'm not saying I didn't want Spain to win!

Months ago futsal players asked for attention, saying that football wasn't the only sport in Spain and that we got better results in other sports. They were right, of course, but it looks like football is the only sport people care about here. That's not fair and it's very sad.

Congratulations, Spain! European champions in three team sports ;) I hope for good results at the Olympics!

A question for all Spanish members (combined with, once more, many congratulations for your team's victory):

Do you have the impression that this victory could lead the Spanish people, especially the Catalans and Basques, to identify more strongly with their national team in the future? And do you think that this victory could generally leave some sort of legacy for your country?

Today is when I remember our volleyball and futsal national teams. They have also won the last European Championships but very few people here in Spain know it. When they won they were less than a minute on the TV news, the news today are all about football, football and football. But, hey, I'm not saying I didn't want Spain to win!

Months ago futsal players asked for attention, saying that football wasn't the only sport in Spain and that we got better results in other sports. They were right, of course, but it looks like football is the only sport people care about here. That's not fair and it's very sad.

Congratulations, Spain! European champions in three team sports ;) I hope for good results at the Olympics!

Oh, we noticed when you eliminated us in the UEFA Futsal Championship semifinal, after being two goals down... :angry:

Yeah, it's the same thing here; but we don't win that many titles like Spain does. Heck, we don't win enough football titles to make up for all the attention this sport has in the media...

Spain is, imo, the best performing European nation at team sports. How I'd like my country to be half as good.

Sounds very familiar. It seems almost a carbon copy of Britain where it takes an awful lot to get football off the back pages.

Archived