Euro 2008

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone had told me before the tournament that the title will be decided among Germany, Turkey, Russia and Spain, I'd certainly called him nuts.

However, what a great night for the Spanish national team. They showed a great amount of composure and determination and thus one can say: It's probably simply their time and so their victory is fully deserved.

Herbert Fandel is a major disgrace as referee. Now Spain was denied a penalty a second time in this match...

Actually,Its struck me how rarely penalties have been awarded to anybody during this tournament.The only one I can personally recall is the controversial one awarded to Austria against Poland by Howard Webb.It's as if there have been so many controversial ones awarded in the past that referees have been told to be much more sparing in giving them away.

It certainly did Webb's reputation no good in this tournament as,correct me if I'm wrong,I don't think he's been allowed to referee a match since!

If someone had told me before the tournament that the title will be decided among Germany, Turkey, Russia and Spain, I'd certainly called him nuts.

Of these 4,only Germany comes as no surprise.I am confident they will be one of the finalists (although I was equally confident that Holland would be the other).I wondr what further surprises await us in this surprisingly interesting tournament?

However, what a great night for the Spanish national team. They showed a great amount of composure and determination and thus one can say: It's probably simply their time and so their victory is fully deserved. :)

It's nice to see Spain finally defeat their old rival and nemesis,Italy and progress to their first semi-final in many years.

Roll on Spain-Russia and Germany-Turkey!! B)

Much as I want to see Spain in the finals, I think it will be the Battle of Stalingrad all over again -- Russia v. Germany.

And if were Spain v. Germany, the Germans would use their height advantage. Either way, I think it's Germany's to lose this year.

But these are just views from a soccer neophyte.

Why i'm having the feeling that we're going to see again another unexpected champion like in 2004?

By the way, you have no idea about how happy i am now. Spain finally broke the quarter-finals curse, anyway i just hope they dont understimate Russia, since they did an awesome match yesterday against Netherlands.

It certainly did Webb's reputation no good in this tournament as,correct me if I'm wrong,I don't think he's been allowed to referee a match since!

He refereed Greece-Spain last Wednesday. I think that other referees have damaged their reputation more seriously -- especially that Mejuto González after suspending Jogi Löw and Josef Hickersberger without any warning and substantial reasons.

Webb came out and said that Austria deserved the penalty.

The 1st one was blatantly a penalty, the Italians got very lucking on that one.

I am happy Spain won, and my preferred final is still on course, Germany v Spain.

Much as I want to see Spain in the finals, I think it will be the Battle of Stalingrad all over again -- Russia v. Germany.

Hmmm...so you're predicting a long,bloody battle until the Russian players finally surround the Germans and force them to surrender?? :lol:

Webb came out and said that Austria deserved the penalty.

I'd love to know where he said that exactly. I haven't seen a quote to that effect. Anyway, it doesn't alter the fact that the decision he made was entirely right and he should still be at this tournament.

I am happy Spain won, and my preferred final is still on course, Germany v Spain.

Italy got what they deserved tonight - nothing. As for the final, I'd personally prefer Turkey v Russia. I'm British. I have to back the underdogs. But in all seriousness, I hope Russia go on and win it.

The interesting thing is also that no team from the "group of death" got further than to the quarter-final. Before the tournament, one would have thought that who survives the opposition of teams like the Netherlands, Italy, France or Romania should be a clear favourite for the title. But in fact, the group was perhaps a little to exhausting. Or the four teams were simply not good enough to fulfil the high expectations placed in them.

I'd love to know where he said that exactly. I haven't seen a quote to that effect. Anyway, it doesn't alter the fact that the decision he made was entirely right and he should still be at this tournament.

Italy got what they deserved tonight - nothing. As for the final, I'd personally prefer Turkey v Russia. I'm British. I have to back the underdogs. But in all seriousness, I hope Russia go on and win it.

I would prefer to keep the pattern of only France and Germany being multiple winners, so no Russia.

It was on the coverage here, Webb in his report said that the Polish goal was offside and the penalty was deserved. He has been one of the best refs in my opinion. I think Rossetti will ref the final now.

I think the final is going to be Germany v Russia.

Felicidades a España! Finally, they are at a semifinals after being the favourites so many times before...

Also, I don't think that they will pass to the final... Germany v. Russia seems to me more certain...

I was at the game last night, great atmosphere, great stadium, great tournament!

Lucky, I had managed to get tickets through the lottery that were for Germany-Austria and Germany-Croatia, along with the quarter-final that became Croatia-Turkey. But unfortunately things came up and I had to sell the tickets to a friend in Munich.

I bet you would, but I reckon you should worry about Turkey first.

Could they upset Germany, yea, could Germany lay another egg like against Croatia, yea, but when you are missing 4 of your 6 goals, your top keeper and your top player the odds are considerably stacked against Turkey. Turkey will only be able to dress 15 players, and there is at least 3 of them that won't be at a 100%. If Germany gets a lead, they have the defensive place of mind that the Czechs, Swiss and Croats don't have to maintain the lead. Its possible, but highly unlikely. It will be Germany's best squad verses Turkey's second best. Not a recipe for an upset in my mind. But anything can happen and this tournament has reinforced it. This tournament is a lot like 2002, 2 top teams verses 2 surprises. The surprises ended up losing in the end.

Correction, 9 Turkish players are out, only 14 players will be on the squad on Wednesday.

Mind you, I really hope Turkey puts on a good performance, Turkey has come along way and deserves their spot and should compete, hopefully.

Anyways, I am predicting a Germany 3 - 1 Turkey scoreline.

Archived