Euro 2008

It might be EA, a video game manufacturer that always does projections based on the probabilities they use in the sim option of the game.

You mean this projection? Well, it was made before the EURO and as we know now, it is wrong. Torchbearer, on the other hand, spoke of a computer which correctly predicted all matches (or at least all teams advancing to the next rounds). And it seems as if that computer he spoke of makes daily predictions.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean this projection? Well, it was made before the EURO and as we know now, it is wrong. Torchbearer, on the other hand, spoke of a computer which correctly predicted all matches (or at least all teams advancing to the next rounds). And it seems as if that computer he spoke of makes daily predictions.

I didn't know, it was the only one I could think of. I just guessed at what it might be.

Turkey is going to be missing Volkan Demirel, Emre Asik, Arda Turan (Ahmet I agree with you about the second yellow), Tuncay Sanli and now Nihat Kahveci with a thigh injury. Plus 3 others that I can't remember, but the reports are that only 15 Turkish players will dress on Wednesday (two of them keepers, so Turkey will only have enough players for the starting 11 plus the three subs). I fell sorry for Turkey having to deal with this, its better to beat a team at their best than when they are 8 men down. That is if Germany does win.

Well, that's a surprisingly balanced match. The Russians are really dangerous, although also the Dutch had great scoring opportunities. Guus Hiddink obviously did a great job in preparing his players for the match against his home country.

Are we on the brink of yet another sensational fall of a tournament favourite? I hope not, after their sensational group stage the Dutch deserve better.

Just for those who later look on this and wonder what that match was like:

The team which declassified the current World Champion, the current Vice World Champion and an opponent they never won against in the EURO qualifiers, is now declassified by Russia...

What a tournament! I'm really shocked about how that fantastic Oranje team we knew from the group stage is performing tonight.

out-classed is the word you are looking for.

The officiating has been utter BS in this game, its completely biased towards the Russians.

Oh and the Russians are diving like no tomorrow, its worse than the Portuguese or Italians.

out-classed is the word you are looking for.

My dictionary that "declass" (besides "outclass") is another possible translation for the German "deklassieren". Does "declass" not exist actually?

The officiating has been utter BS in this game, its completely biased towards the Russians.

Oh and the Russians are diving like no tomorrow, its worse than the Portuguese or Italians.

I have to admit that I didn't watch it that intensely. However, that's surprising to me since I always thought that Lubos Michel is one of the best European referees.

My dictionary that "declass" (besides "outclass") is another possible translation for the German "deklassieren". Does "declass" not exist actually?

I have to admit that I didn't watch it that intensely. However, that's surprising to me since I always thought that Lubos Michel is one of the best European referees.

There has been a lot of phantom calls against the Dutch and the ref has fallen the Russians diving.

Than the ref said the ball went out, when it didn't, and it would have resulted with Kolodin being sent off. utter bullsh!t.

I have never heard of declass as a word and my spell check says it doesn't exist.

Russia was already down to 10 after Kolodin saw his sceond yellow card in this match. But then, Lubos Michel retracted the yellow card after his linesman indicated that the ball had already been out before Kolodin attacked Sneijder. And obviously, it wasn't clear whether the ball was really out or not.

Strange things happen indeed in this match...

However, the 90 minutes are over. Extra time, here we come...

And the Netherlands are out!

What is this? The Eurovision Song Contest in football, with all those South-Eastern and Eastern European teams upstaging the (former) favourites?

Bring back the juries! ;)

Or England will withdraw...

I was cheering for the Oranje, but Russia was at least better than they. This Euro has been very surprising... what if we had another underdog winning like 2004? Maybe the Russians?

Gosh, what a FABULOUS game from Russia! Super!

After wishing the Dutch to confirm their magnificent group stage performance, by winning this crucial game, I found myself supporting the Russians. Where was this team before?? Mr. Hiddink really has the "Midas touch".

So sad for the Netherlands, still. What a frustration they must be feeling. What good came out of defeating the WC winner and runner-up? Perhaps, the Dutch would gladly had exchanged goals in these matches for more goals against Russia. But congratulations to them for an entertaining tournament and to all the Orange fans for being the best supporters!

So, it's all set for tomorrow's Italy victory, it seems, and a complete null by the group winners and pre-knockout stage favourites. If this happens, my support is shifting to Russia, for being the only team that showed great football at this stage.

I'm sad but not really surprised by the result this evening - teams that play brilliantly at the start of tournaments rarely manage to maintain their momentum - just ask Spain (will it be adios tomorrow?).

The Dutch have provided some spectacular football in the last couple of weeks and should be proud. I hope Russia falls at the next hurdle.

Probably it's an old word. Merriam-Webster, however, mentions it:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/declass

And another informative entry:

http://www.bartleby.com/68/71/1671.html

Yes, there is a word, Declasse (borrowed from French), but in English it is referring to one one acting more beneath their class or social standing. If you were talking about a sporting team, faster's right, the correct term would be outclassed.

Yes, there is a word, Declasse (borrowed from French), but in English it is referring to one one acting more beneath their class or social standing. If you were talking about a sporting team, faster's right, the correct term would be outclassed.

I see. Thanks a lot for the information!

Archived