Euro 2008

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm hoping Poland/Ukraine pull it out of the bag and that the problems they've been having regarding racism are eradicated.

On another subject I am officially supporting Croatia in Euro 2008. My reasons?

1. Luca Modric, the only Spurs player in the tournament, plays for them.

2. I filled out a quiz in my newspaper for English fans who didn't know who to support; it came out with Croatia for me.

3. I drew them in the office sweepstake; so there's cash in it!

4. If I'm feeling gracious I can say I'm supporting them because I'm a sporting kind of guy; no hard feelings etc.

5. BUT if I'm feeling like a bastard I want them to do well so they lose Bilic to a league team this summer. That'll leave them in dissaray when we play them in a world cup qualifier in the Autumn.

So, I've made my choice!

Its not the racism that is the problem, its the stadium development and infrastructure.

If it gets pulled, there are a couple logical hosts, namely Portugal, France and Germany.

Its not the racism that is the problem, its the stadium development and infrastructure.

If it gets pulled, there are a couple logical hosts, namely Portugal, France and Germany.

Probably not France, since it's planning a bid for 2016. Portugal would be a perfect alternate, but I'm not sure whether they'd want to carry the financial burden again.

Anyway, let's return to the current events: Today is kick-off time in Austria and Switzerland!

Today's matches:

Group A

Switzerland - Czech Republic, 1800 CET (1600 GMT), Basel (St.-Jakob-Park)

Portugal - Turkey, 2045 CET (1845 GMT), Geneva (Stade de Genève)

Your predictions?

Mine:

Switzerland - Czech Republic 1-2

Portugal - Turkey 2-0

Too bad that we don't have any Austrian or Swiss members here who could give us some insider views about the tournament and its atmosphere. Where has Rolilau gone, for example? He hasn't been online for more than a year.

Hey! My predictions:

Switzerland 1-2 Czech Republic

Turkey 3-4 Portugal

Why not try playing this game?

http://en.fanchallenge.euro2008.uefa.com/

Well I'm going to watch one of these two matches tomorrow on channel 9 (delayed telecast)!

There's online coverage for those within Philippine territory but you'll pay dollars (not the currency here) to watch it! With live coverage and access to past European Championships!

More details

You can't afford this because you live in German territory! Why not look at the ARD/ZDF broadcast?

And there's also PPV for the viewers on TV. Don't forget Solar Sports' gonna air much of the games with the state-owned channel 9 (RPN-9) airing some of them (and all knockout matches).

There's also viewing parties for free at hotels, pubs and, in Makati City (southeast of the capita;, Manila) the National Sports Grill within the Greenbelt shopping center! I remember going there. It's like the configuration of a sports stadium, has good food and bands and it has a giant screen (that's where the Euro 2008 matches will be displayed).

You can't afford this because you live in German territory! Why not look at the ARD/ZDF broadcast?

Well, of course I'll watch the ARD and ZDF broadcasts. Why should I watch something I have to pay for and in a foreign language if I can get it for free (well, besides the monthly licence fee) and in my own language?

I know that Faster. I wasn't saying racism would be the reason it gets pulled but that doesn't make it any less of a problem in Poland in particular.

Any self-respecting Englishman should be doing as I'm doing and supporting nobody.

Take that attitude if you like but I personally think it makes it more interesting if you choose a team to follow. That doesn't make me any less of an Englishman.

Anyway, if even Sir Geoff Hurst is doing it, I don't see a problem :lol:

You'll like this CAF and co...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1258606.ece

While my mommy was working on the computer, I was lying down in the nextroomand watching local basketballon channel 9 (C/S on RPN). I returned to the computer after the return of the live broadcast after the commercial break. (It was long because it was halftime at that time.)

During the break, this played on the channel four times!

Voiceover: "The best teams... the best players.... it's the most popular sport in the world, Euro style!

"The UEFA Euro 2008, starts June 8 at 9:00am on C/S Sports." (RPN-9's sports brand)

Images: Shots of Euro 2004 (although the state TV channel NBN granted the rights to them) with the words "Best Teams", "Best Players". "Most Popular Sport In The World" and "Euro Style", then the Euro 2008 logo and the C/S Sports logo. (Date and time below the Euro 2008 one.)

There's a different one for the Beijing Olympics, also shown at the same break! I'll tell you more about that in the appropiate thread.

Take that attitude if you like but I personally think it makes it more interesting if you choose a team to follow. That doesn't make me any less of an Englishman.

Anyway, if even Sir Geoff Hurst is doing it, I don't see a problem :lol:

You'll like this CAF and co...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1258606.ece

Mein Gott indeed.

But, in all seriousness, my team is not there so I don't really care. I do, of course, reserve the right to change my mind if I part with any of my hard-earned money at a well-known betting establishment between now and the start of the tournament.

I have 3 bets on the Euro

Germany to outright win

Croatia to outright win

Germany to outright win with Luci Toni to be the top scorer (the odds on this one are about 60:1, unfortunately the odds are now 75:1 but I think its a good price over betting on Mario Gomez or Miroslav Klose or the whinny b!tch)

I wouldn't discount France by any means, I do not think UEFA would outright strip the tournament, but push Poland/Ukraine back to 2016 and it would leave France either having to go against a Germany for 2012 or go against Italy in 2020.

I am really hoping Switzerland wins today, I dislike the Czech Republic, still bitter over 4 years ago.

In 45 min starts Portugal vs. Turkey

I suppose Ahmet is getting nervous...

;)

If Turkey wins the match Switzerland vs. Turkey will become very very hard for Switzerland...

I'm both nervous and really eager. :P

I don't think that we'll win of course but if we manage to hold back the Portugese to at least a tie, then that would be a good achievement. B)

I really don't like Portuguese football, so I am cheering for Turkey, I think that I am supporting Turkey here is a big enough shock for Ahmet, so hopefully no more Portuguese balls in the net.

Portugal - Turkey was an excellent match indeed, with very offensive play on both sides. Very well done! But one also has to say that Portugal was the deserved winner due to its higher tenacity.

But I have a lump in my throat thinking about what happened to Switzerland today. They absolutely deserved to win that match. Plus: They not only lost the match but also their most valuable forward, Alexander Frei. It was so sad to see him hobbling off the field, totally drenched in tears. Now it'll be incredibly hard for his teammates to stay in the tournament. :( But I hope that they seize their remaining chances.

Hey! Today's June 8, by 9:00am local time my TV's already on channel 9 and Euro 2008's supposed to be on!

My protest yesterday:

Good day, Solar Sports!

From me!

$30.95 for the whole season?

NO WAY!

Balls beware!

Today:

Good morning, C/S Sports!

From me!

What's wrong with you Euro 2008 coverage?

NO WAY!

Solar Sports/Balls* beware!

*Balls - Solar Sports' rival. Airs the French Open at this moment.

My protests this weekend were similar to this:

Video

Explanation

Archived