Euro 2008

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to German media, Marko Marin, Patrick Helmes and Jermaine Jones haven't been advanced to the final squad. Helmes (who, as a forward, still hasn't scored a single goal for the national team) and Jones (who performed badly in yesterday's test match and had a lot of competitors for the defensive midfield) are no big surprises. But 19-year-old Marko Marin is one, since he showed a good performance yesterday and had been praised a lot beforehand by Jogi Löw. Perhaps his training performance was not sufficient, though. Or he's simply too young to stand the stress of such a tournament.

So this is our final squad:

Goal

Jens Lehmann (Arsenal London)

Robert Enke (Hannover 96)

René Adler (Bayer 04 Leverkusen)

Defence

Christoph Metzelder (Real Madrid)

Per Mertesacker (Werder Bremen)

Philipp Lahm (FC Bayern München)

Arne Friedrich (Hertha BSC Berlin)

Marcell Jansen (FC Bayern München)

Clemens Fritz (Werder Bremen)

Heiko Westermann (FC Schalke 04)

Midfield

Michael Ballack (FC Chelsea London)

Thomas Hitzlsperger (VfB Stuttgart)

Simon Rolfes (Bayer 04 Leverkusen)

Torsten Frings (Werder Bremen)

Bastian Schweinsteiger (FC Bayern München)

Piotr Trochowski (Hamburger SV)

Tim Borowski (Werder Bremen)

David Odonkor (Betis Sevilla)

Attack

Miroslav Klose (FC Bayern München)

Lukas Podolski (FC Bayern München)

Mario Gomez (VfB Stuttgart)

Kevin Kuranyi (FC Schalke 04)

Oliver Neuville (Borussia Mönchengladbach)

I know we're not in it but we played some decent football against a very, very average US team yesterday at Wembley and won 2-0.

I can't believe the Euros are starting in just over a week. There's next to no build-up here. I expected there to be less than usual since we didn't qualify but if I wasn't someone who was into sport I probably wouldn't even know it was only a matter of days away! Ah well, Trinidad and Tobago here we come!!

Tonight's test match results:

Switzerland-Liechtenstein 3-0

Czech Republic-Scotland 3-1

Austria-Malta 5-1

Italy-Belgium 3-1

For all teams it was the final test match before the EURO.

Tomorrow's test matches are:

Germany-Serbia

Romania-Montenegro

Portugal-Georgia

Hungary-Croatia

Spain-Peru

France-Paraguay

Except for Spain and France, those will be the final test matches for the aforementioned teams as well.

Does anyone have an update about Frank Ribery's condition?

I am updating my Group C predictions

1. Italy

2. Netherlands

3. France

4. Romania

Doing more reading I don't think France will take advantage of their youth and will play defensive football against the Dutch, the Dutch firepower will get through for a 1-0 win and see France go.

France-Paraguay

remember of France'98.. Paraguay was, after Italy, the team which at time could resist the longest and seriously bother France. Pity they were pull out by those stupid and shameful rule of Golden Goal.

I have a question that stems from a TSN article.

Which 2 teams would you replace and with whom?

I would replace Greece and Russia with England and Denmark.

You would replace the cupholder?

Never mind all this talk of who we might want to see in Austria and Switzerland. I'm more interested in who you think will win it. At the moment, I can't see past Germany but I certainly won't be having a bet on them. If I were to have a punt, I'd be trying to look for a bit of value.

Never mind all this talk of who we might want to see in Austria and Switzerland. I'm more interested in who you think will win it. At the moment, I can't see past Germany but I certainly won't be having a bet on them. If I were to have a punt, I'd be trying to look for a bit of value.

I have bets on Germany and Croatia.

Germany is the 4:1 favourite

Yesterday's test match results:

Germany-Serbia 2-1

Romania-Montenegro 4-0

Portugal-Georgia 2-0

Hungary-Croatia 1-1

Spain-Peru 2-1

France-Paraguay 2-0

In its final test match before the EURO, Germany made some appalling mistakes in the first half. Especially central defender Christoph Metzelder still hasn't found his pre-injury shape again. Kevin Kuranyi was incredibly shaky as well, in front of his home audience at Schalke and Mario Gomez gave away a 100-percent goal opportunity, standing only a few feet away from the goal-line.

But Marcell Jansen, Oliver Neuville (who scored the 1-1 after a Serbian 0-1 lead) and especially Michael Ballack (who scored the 2-1 by freekick -- highly unusual for the German team which is actually very weak on set-pieces) performed strongly so that not everything is lost. ;) I still hope that the German team will recover and that its current weakness is only due to the very intensive training camp on Majorca.

Today's test matches are:

Netherlands-Wales

Poland-Denmark

Sweden-Ukraine

Greece-Armenia

For each team, this is the final test before the EURO.

I have bets on Germany and Croatia.

Germany is the 4:1 favourite

Which is precisely why I'm not backing them. Croatia would tempt me if Eduardo was fit and if they were a bigger price than the general 12-1.

Which is precisely why I'm not backing them. Croatia would tempt me if Eduardo was fit and if they were a bigger price than the general 12-1.

May beat is at 15-1. Yes Eduardo would help, its unfortunate that he is not there and apart of a list that includes Bernd Schneider and could keep Frank Ribery out for the first couple of games.

Oops, sorry -- my bad. In fact, it was a typo of mine. I've just checked my Word file with all the final test matches. There I wrote the 0-0 out correctly -- and I did this before I posted the results here.

Anyway, here are today's test match results (I'll check them twice ;)):

Netherlands-Wales 2-0

Poland-Denmark 1-1

Sweden-Ukraine 0-1

Greece-Armenia 0-0

Source: FIFA.com and CNN.com

Tomorrow, there is no pre-EURO test match scheduled.

Tuesday's only test match will be France-Colombia.

Archived